PDA

View Full Version : Should I downsize my pack?

Hikes with a stick
04-30-2007, 13:55
I bought a Gregory Palisade a year ago at REI, and got a great deal on it. I had never backpacked before then, but I had a few trips planned. I have found that I take short trips, one or two nights, and that I really do not need all the space that it has. Having extra space has not been an issue for me yet, since I like how this pack fits me and how it carries the weight...

But I have a trip to Glacier national park planned where I am going to backpack into a site, dayhike the next day, then hike back out. So I need a backpack that will work okay as a daypack with lighter loads. I typically carry about 35 when going out for a weekend. I anticiapte carrying 10 to 15 when daypacking in Glacier.

So far I have been considering the Gregory Z55 and the Osprey Atmos 50. Any comments on these packs? Any other packs that would be good for this purpose?

I'm hoping this pack will fill all of my pack needs, and that I can return or sell the palisade.

mudhead
04-30-2007, 14:23
Return?....

SGT Rock
04-30-2007, 16:54
I like my gearskin. Works from small loads up to 50 pounds so only one pack for all needs.

DrewNC2005
05-01-2007, 09:40
Take a good look at the ULA Circuit or ULA Catalyst if you think the Circuit is a little too small for your needs. I've tried on the Atmos and the Gregory and both do not compare to my ULA Circuit. The only benefit of the Atmos over the Circuit is the "open-air" back which I imagine is great in the summer.

Chomp09
05-01-2007, 18:25
Hey there, I started off similar to you. The folks at my local EMS swore up and down the Palisade pack is exactly what I needed. It did/does fit and carry the weight well, but is twice the pack size I need for most trips. I switched to the Gregory Z pack over a year ago and haven't looked back. What a great pack! It definitely gets my vote...

rswanson
05-03-2007, 15:35
Is the 10-15 lbs range you listed total pack weight? If so both the Z55 and Atmos will be overkill. For this range, I would be looking at packs that carry 3000 c.i. or less and weigh under 2 lbs. Take a look at the Golite Jam2 (http://http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=PA5251&s=1), which has a compression system to cinch the pack down to about 1,400 c.i. but is capable of carrying 3000 c.i. (and 30 lbs.) comfortably. Also ideal would be ULA's Conduit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm), Amp (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amp.htm), and Relay (http://www.ula-equipment.com/relay.htm), or Gossamer Gear's new Miniposa (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Miniposa.html).

There are other manufacturers out there that fit the bill too (Fanatic Fringe, ZPacks, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs) but these are just a few I'm familiar with.

Peaks
05-03-2007, 16:29
If you haven't already done so, take all your gear, food, water, and fuel to your local outfitter and try on various packs. Then buy what fits you and your gear best.

PS: you will not go wrong with either a Gregory or Osprey pack.

Hikes with a stick
05-03-2007, 18:49
Well, I ended up buying the Gregory Z55. Its amazing how much lighter it is compared to the Palisade. I've already loaded it up with some gear, and as long as I don't solo, I think it will work.

Got a question about the bladder sleeve though. I don't think I can use it, because I need that space inside the pack. On my palisade, I would stash it under the lid, so it would be above my mouth. All I had to was bite down, and the water would flow. The lid on the Z55 isn't big enough to cover my 70 oz camelbak bladder all the way :-(. Are there any other creative ways to carry a bladder with this pack?

Programbo
05-03-2007, 19:31
I bought a Gregory Palisade a year ago.......Having extra space has not been an issue for me yet, since I like how this pack fits me and how it carries the weight...//....Well, I ended up buying the Gregory Z55. .....as long as I don't solo, I think it will work.Got a question about the bladder sleeve though. I don't think I can use it, because I need that space inside the pack. On my palisade, I would stash it under the lid, so it would be above my mouth. All I had to was bite down, and the water would flow. The lid on the Z55 isn't big enough to cover my 70 oz camelbak bladder all the way :-(

Sounds like you liked the Palisade and have concerns with the new pack already....I would stick with the bigger pack myself...Lighter is not always better

rswanson
05-04-2007, 12:02
Got a question about the bladder sleeve though. I don't think I can use it, because I need that space inside the pack. On my palisade, I would stash it under the lid, so it would be above my mouth. All I had to was bite down, and the water would flow. The lid on the Z55 isn't big enough to cover my 70 oz camelbak bladder all the way :-(. Are there any other creative ways to carry a bladder with this pack?
I think you've answered your own question. Doesn't look possible to rig your bladder the same way in that pack. Maybe try using the bladder in one of the side pockets (does it have any? I can't tell from the pics) or the shove-it pocket on the back...but the latter might put the weight too far back.

Hikes with a stick
05-04-2007, 13:00
I had some time last night to do packing experimentation with the Z55. I'm starting to like the Z55 more and more... The bucket pocket is great! It is great for things that are hard flat and thin, or soft and shapeable, like a fleece or a jacket. I had my tent poles, sven saw, thermarest patch kit, camp bucket, water filter, fuel bottle, rain jacket, and 1 liter nalgene bottle in that pocket, and there was room to spare. I have a MSR dragonfly for my stove, and I found the best place for that is the lid pocket. I rolled up my tent and slid it into its stuff sack, and placed it vertically in my bag.

I did not get to pack with the camelbak in this time, I discovered it had a leak in it the last time I packed it in the Z55, its a leak that only occurs when the bladder is put under pressure. I could get the 72 oz bladder that has more of an oval shape, I think that would fit under the lid. I could try to stick in the side of the bucket pocket, but that would put alot of pressure on the bladder. And the hose might not be long enough to reach my mouth. It would make filling the bladder up alot easier, and I would not have to unpack my bag to get the bladder back into it sleeve inside the pack.

I have not done any hiking yet with the Z55, I have just worn it around my condo. I did some comparing by loading the same items into both the Z55 and Palisade. The Z55 is easier to pick up and put on. It is also more compact and hugs my back more. The hip belt on the Palisade is alot stiffer, and that seems to allow better weight distribution to the hips. But overall, the Z55 feels more comfortable. But this has not been proven on a hike yet...

The Palisade is long and tubular, where the Z55 is more of a tear drop shape. I find it easier to pack the Z55 so everything is nice and tight inside, gives the pack a nice solid feel. On the Palisade, the bottom section that contains the sleeping bag can feel disconnected at times, I think this happens because I used a compression sack, and it did not completely fill up the sleeping bag compartment. In the past I just stuffed the sleeping bag in there, and it made the Palisade feel alot more solid, and was easier on my bag because it did not compress it was much. I don't think I would be able to use this sleeping bag in the Z55 without the compression bag.

I really like how the hipbelt adjusts on the Z55. It is a pulley type system, for every inch you pull the strap, it tightens the belt 1/2 inch. Makes it so much easier to get it to the perfect tension. Its reall hard to tighten the belt on the Palisade when its under load unless you unbuckle it first, or lean forward to get the weight on my back.

I really like the hipbelt pockets on the Z55. I can get two cliff bars in one, and the other one holds my compass, whistle, lighter, thermometer, and sunscreen or bugspray.

I can't wait for my first backpacking trip with the Z55. Should be in about two weeks!

Rambler
05-04-2007, 13:49
I now stow my water (platypus) in the top of my pack. It lies flat and the hose comes out of the pack via the hole that was built for it. The only time I had a platypus leak is when the top was not screwd down correctly. When carried in a sleave with the opening down, the leaking water did not wet any gear inside the pack. So, I have to be sure that the top is tight, but it is much easier to see how much water is left and it is easily reached if I have to refill it during the day. Sometimes I have to lean a bit to one side to get the water flowing, but that is of little concern.