PDA

View Full Version : I think my socks are broken.

STEVEM
04-30-2007, 17:04
I am a dayhiker with hopes of someday attempting an AT thruhike. I typically hike 8-12 miles, wear Vasque hiking boots and Smartwool light hiker socks. I hike at least once a week in all seasons and weather and have never had any serious issues related to socks or boots.

The past several weeks however, I have developed chaffing on the inside of both legs from about an inch above my ankle to the area near the top of my socks. Basically I have a bright red circle about 3" in diameter on each leg. This is mildly painful, fades to brown in a few days then peels. By my next hike the problem is totally gone only to be repeated. I could see this perhaps becoming a serious problem if I was hiking every day (no time to heal). Thus my questions about socks:

1. At what point do you judge socks to be worn out? I typically keep my socks until the heel and ball area is worn noticably thin.

2. Do socks have an expected life in terms of miles, days or washings?

3. When you thruhike do you have a set schedule to replace your socks?

4. On a typical day how often should you change your socks? I suspect that I should bring a second pair and change about halfway thru my hike.

Before my next hike I plan to buy new socks. Could you recommend some brands that you have been happy with.

mudhead
04-30-2007, 17:17
Before you buy new wool socks, figure out if you have a new and special wool allergy. Or a soap/shampoo allergy. Laundry soap also. Baking soda alone works ok.

Not a doc, but allergic to some merino wools, and lots of soap products.

The peeling part is beyond my experience.

Spray them nasty boots with Lysol!

Good luck.

big_muddy
04-30-2007, 17:25
Might want to try them on the other foot

orangebug
04-30-2007, 17:28
The peeling is due to the chafing/near blister formation. Allergy is unlikely as it is a small area affecting you. The socks are likely worn out as you have rubbing/friction not affected by the sock, and have found a better way to assess the shape of your socks rather than just looking at the ball or heel.

Smartwools are great, and there are many equally good socks. I usually toss a pair of hiking socks after 100-200 trail miles. I change socks every day, allowing them to rest at least one day - taking at least 2 pair on a trip. As a quick fix, put duct tape on your ankle in the affected area as soon as it get to be a hot spot.

hammock engineer
04-30-2007, 17:31
In terms of socks I usually just buy whatever smartwool ones I can find on sale when I am ordering something else. Campmor usually has some for around $10. I usually get at least the mid weights (I think). I can't remember off hand the name, but I go for the thicker ones.

I haven't wore them enough to wear them out yet. I have started to wear them all the time, except to work. I usually replace socks once they get holes in them.

Just a thought, are the light hikers tall or short? A taller sock my help with the rubbing.

While hiking I bring 2 pairs for hiking (1 worn and 1 in pack) and 1 for sleeping. I just alternate pairs each day. A socks and shoes off break helps a lot in the middle of the day.

If chaffing is an issue look into body glide. I haven't used it yet, but I am thinking of adding that for other chaffing issues.

Mother's Finest
04-30-2007, 17:45
I am a dayhiker with hopes of someday attempting an AT thruhike. I typically hike 8-12 miles, wear Vasque hiking boots and Smartwool light hiker socks. I hike at least once a week in all seasons and weather and have never had any serious issues related to socks or boots.

The past several weeks however, I have developed chaffing on the inside of both legs from about an inch above my ankle to the area near the top of my socks. Basically I have a bright red circle about 3" in diameter on each leg. This is mildly painful, fades to brown in a few days then peels. By my next hike the problem is totally gone only to be repeated. I could see this perhaps becoming a serious problem if I was hiking every day (no time to heal). Thus my questions about socks:

1. At what point do you judge socks to be worn out? I typically keep my socks until the heel and ball area is worn noticably thin.

4. On a typical day how often should you change your socks? I suspect that I should bring a second pair and change about halfway thru my hike.

Before my next hike I plan to buy new socks. Could you recommend some brands that you have been happy with.

you definitely have some type of shear or rubbing going on. likely your socks are no longer providing the proper interface between your body and your boots.

extra socks are always better......some people like smartwool, some like thorlo, the most important thing is that you stay consistent with the thickness as it relates to the fit of your shoe gear.

i wear thor-lo's or a brand called Feetures. thor lo's you can wash inside out to keep them fluffy.

as to your questions, as soon as you develop some type of problem, change em up.

peace
mf

Appalachian Tater
04-30-2007, 19:48
Believe it or not, LL Bean has their own socks that are longer-lasting and cheaper than any of the big-name brands. They come in three thicknesses.

Your shoe may also not be fitting correctly.

if you are getting blisters and your socks aren't worn out and your shoes seem to fit okay, try another brand of shoes. If you're wearing boots, try trailrunners.

You could also consider putting duct tape or moleskin or both over the problem spot before there's a problem.

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 20:11
socks too tight. loose sox. i got rings as a kid. its cause you buy crappy sox. ragg wool baby. oversized. doubled in winter or liner and single in mild. too tight baby. trust me. wrong sox. wrong company. wrong style. wrong everything.

Appalachian Tater
04-30-2007, 20:21
Yeah, you might also try liners--get cheapy nylon "dress" socks.

saimyoji
04-30-2007, 21:39
Sure sounds like broken socks to me. See if they are still under warranty. Maybe you can get them replaced. ;)

Krewzer
05-01-2007, 08:48
This probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but do you wear gaiters?

I recently figured out my low gaiters were causing blisters around my ankles and on the tops of my feet. Really weird, I first blamed a pair of Montrails, but recently had the same problem with my tried and true Vasque's. In hot weather my feet get really sweaty. With gaiters, the boots couldn't vent all this extra moisture and this led to blisters in these already tender places.

Gave up the gaiters, problem solved.

onesocktwin
05-01-2007, 10:01
I don't think it is the socks! I think it is the boots. I had the same issue while section hiking the AT. I tried sock liners and socks of about every manufacturer out there. I tried loosening and/or tightening the lace on my high top boots (Merrell). I still had the chaffing/ burning/ cracking, peeling misery. It would take 2 weeks after a hike to heal!

I finally gave the high tops to my daughter-in-law, still wear the same type socks (prefer Smartwools but also wear Bridgewater and other brands). She loves the boots and I have no problems when wearing Merrell trail runners.

rswanson
05-01-2007, 18:38

I think before you worry about all this you should just buy a new pair of Smartwools and see if you have the same problem. If so, you're probably developing an allergy to the wool. After repeated exposure to a certain substance, once can develop an allergy to it. You'll have to switch to synthetic socks. If the problem persists, see a dermatologist. Its possible that you could be developing an allergy to your own sweat, which is not as uncommon as you might think. The affected area you are describing is certainly one where a high degree of skin irritation is possible.

Its also possible that the Smartwools you have just arent getting clean enough. Are you washing them in cold water? Maybe try some bleach or other disinfectant added in to the wash to kill any bugs that might not be getting cleaned out.

Jester2000
05-01-2007, 20:09
This is mildly painful, fades to brown in a few days then peels.

Check again. Are those your ankles, or have you accidentally put onions in your boots?

tallfran
05-01-2007, 22:17
I like Wigwam heavyweight wool socks that I get at Bass Pro/Outdoor World. They come with a lifetime guarantee, and they are a lot softer than the Smartwool socks. Since I discovered them, I wear them all the time, even at work!

alalskaman
05-02-2007, 03:40
I kind of lean toward the allergy theory. That's what mine turned out to be - the doc wasn't sure whether I had developed an allergy to wool, or perhaps to the latex in the stretchy cuff part of the socks. The latex allergy is actually the most common. I still don't know which it was - just that when I began wearing acorn sox, which have no wool and also no kind of elastic at the tops, it all cleared up. I wear them all the time now, for everyday as well as hiking. Some don't like 'em for hiking, but they're just fine for me. Although to be honest I just moved south after 35 years in the north so have no hot weather experience yet. So I'd say, get a pair. Even if you don't like them as well for hiking, they are light and wonderful bed sox. And if they solve your allergy problem, then you've really got something. BTW my doc said LOTS of people in midlife and beyond develop allergies to things they've been around all their lives. Hadn't known that. Thought it was more like being born with an allergy to ragweed pollen, and if you're not, then you have no worries. Not so, evidently. Good luck on your quest for rash-free hiking.

Krewzer
05-02-2007, 07:53
Check again. Are those your ankles, or have you accidentally put onions in your boots?

...or maybe...:banana :banana :banana

Jonesy
05-10-2007, 01:06
Howdy,

On sock reccomendations: I hear DeFeet Wool-e-ator's are the best for holding up long distances and working in all types of inclement weather. Another sock company I've heard many good things about:

http://www.darntough.com/

Keep us posted on what you end up doing. I'm intending on a thru-hike this summer and will probably be bringing 2 long nylon dress socks (ultra lightweight and stretchy), 1 pr of Wigwam Ingenious crew socks and possibly one other pair of socks for sleeping/colder weather. Haven't decided yet.

Hope you get your problem sorted out asap!

Cheers,
J

minnesotasmith
05-12-2007, 06:22
1) Wool is obsolete for hiking sock material. Go with Bridgedale socks. Even at 18.00 a pop, they're worth it. They're what I eventually went with as my thruhike progressed.

2) If you don't have impermeable socks for wet weather, I suggest that on wet days, you lightly coat your entire feet from the ankles down with petroleum jelly. Helps prevent losing the oils from your feet and skin abrasion when your trail runners are wet all day. Worked for me...

3) Thin liner socks under your primary thick hiking socks are OK IMO. You don't have to go with pricey outfitter ones, though. Thin nylon dress socks from ChinaMart work fine.

mudhead
05-12-2007, 06:29
I like wool. Must be a Maine thing.

Footslogger
05-12-2007, 10:43
Might have posted this before but ...

Thorlos (in my experience) remain a top choice.

Just ordered a bunch more from this promotion.

Last Chance for Free Thorlos
Thorlo Buy 3 Get 1 Free (http://www.sockcompany.com/thorlos.html)

For every 3 pair you buy you get one free and orders over a certain dollar amount ship free. I got the Light Hikers with Coolmax ($12.49/pair). Regular retail is around $15/pair.

'Slogger

Chache
05-14-2007, 08:42
[quote=minnesotasmith;362224]1) Wool is obsolete for hiking sock material. Go with Bridgedale socks. Even at 18.00 a pop, they're worth it. They're what I eventually went with as my thruhike progressed.

Looks to me that they use wool alsoWoolFusion® Technology
WoolFusion® is our unique technology that sets Bridgedale apart from other sock brands. Bridgedales WoolFusion® technology combines the highest quality natural yarns; Merino wool or Tough wool, and fuses them with high performance microfibres; Coolmax® or Endurofil™.
This unique technology, results in socks that perform to the highest level. WoolFusion® socks provide supreme, lasting comfort: they are warm when they need to be and wick when there is excess moisture. Overall they are extremely comfortable and hard wearing – this is enduring comfort

Chache
05-14-2007, 08:47
[quote=minnesotasmith;362224]1) Wool is obsolete for hiking sock material. Go with Bridgedale socks. Even at 18.00 a pop, they're worth it. They're what I eventually went with as my thruhike progressed.

Bridgedale uses woolWoolFusion® Technology
WoolFusion® is our unique technology that sets Bridgedale apart from other sock brands. Bridgedales WoolFusion® technology combines the highest quality natural yarns; Merino wool or Tough wool, and fuses them with high performance microfibres; Coolmax® or Endurofil™.
This unique technology, results in socks that perform to the highest level. WoolFusion® socks provide supreme, lasting comfort: they are warm when they need to be and wick when there is excess moisture. Overall they are extremely comfortable and hard wearing – this is enduring comfort

Chache
05-14-2007, 08:48
removed by me

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 19:59
I like Wigwam heavyweight wool socks that I get at Bass Pro/Outdoor World. They come with a lifetime guarantee

I've got 2 pair of Wigwam Merino Wool socks, the heels wore out on the first pair in under a 100 miles. I haven't even bothered to put the other pair on. When I read your post I got out the other pair still in the Wigwam wrapper and I don't see anything about a lifetime guarantee. Maybe the Merino Wool socks are not included. I normally wear Thorlo "light hikers" with a cool-max liner, they are like the Eveready Bunny. Where did you see or hear about a "Lifetime guarantee". That said, I figured they would wear out quickly since I had already tried some Smartwool socks several years ago. Merino socks are extremely comfortable, they just don't hold up.

SlowLightTrek
11-04-2007, 22:09
You could try some body glide or petroleum jelly. Apply a thin layer to the areas that are chaffing before you put on your socks. Works good for pack strap chaffing too.

shelterbuilder
11-04-2007, 22:11
I also suspect that you may have developed an allergy to wool, but I'm going to suggest a throw-back to a fabric that was popular 30 - 40 years ago: see if you can find a similar-weight sock in an orlon acrylic. They will be almost as warm as wool, almost as cushiony, but less prone to allergic reactions.

If this works at first, but then the problem comes back, then I'd look at your laundry soap as a possible culprit. My wife has developed allergies to various detergents from time to time, and switching to Ivory Snow for a few months seemed to help.

vaporjourney
11-04-2007, 22:21
Darn Toughs my man. I bought 2 pairs in Damascus, and they made it all the way to Katahdin, no holes. I continued to wear one pair for another month and a half while hitchiking across canada, and they're still wearable. I can finally see where they are getting thin behind the heel, but I bet I could get another month out of them. PLUS...they are guaranteed for life like thorlos.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 23:17
..they are guaranteed for life like thorlos.

I have socks from thorlo, darn tough, and wigwam. Have at least one pair of each, worn out. Would love to swap in for free new replacements. Please let me know where I can do so. However, Thorlo is out per their website info.

http://www.thorlo.com/ws6/faq.php#10
"Thorlos do not have a durability warranty. No product made from textile fibers is indestructible"

http://www.darntough.com
Nothing mentioned about a warranty on the Darn Tough Socks. I've emailed the company concerning a durability warranty. will let you know.

Also, the only thing on WigWam socks was a 1 year warranty on their coolmax liners and no warranty found on their Merino Wool Hiking sock, I still have new ones with the wrappers/info.

Roots
11-05-2007, 08:32

I have reactions to wool sometimes. I use the vasque Breeze boot and smartwool adrenaline hiker socks. I also use a liner. The liner prevents the wool reaction rather well. You might want to consider that as an option. Good luck!:)

Summit
11-05-2007, 19:07
Wool socks (Thorlo preferred by me - have several pair that I've had so long I can't remember when I bought them. Cannot wear them out) with nylon liners should solve sensitivity to wool, if that's the cause of the chaffing. Could be your boots . . . if hitops, go with some good quality trailrunners. Also, agree that one should not hit the trail without a stick of BodyGlide, useful for whatever "rubs you the wrong way!" :D :p The stuff is magic at healing chaffing! ;)