PDA

View Full Version : Hiked Georgia Last week

Newb
04-30-2007, 21:57
Hey everyone. I took my big trip last week to hike Georgia. I made it from Springer to Unicoi Gap before a severe case of Achilles Tendonitis took me down. My tendon is still recovering.

I averaged 10 miles/day and had a blast. I have to say that Josh and Leigh at Hiker Hostel really made it all possible. Many kudos to them.

The hilights? first was the beautiful hike north from Springer to Long Creek falls. Wow.. The people I met were awesome. Trillium were blooming like crazy. Ramps were everywhere. I saw all sorts of cool birds...including a Kinglet, some lesser known Warblers and a Grosbeak.

Wierd happenings? A few. First, there's a fellow (last seen on Thursday at Low Gap) who is building fires on the trail every night. He's hauling a couple of duffle bags north...each appear to be very heavy. He'll carry one a half mile then go back for the other and leap frog like that all day. Law enforcement was informed and was interested but never showed up. Anyways...you can see the ashes from his fires every few miles on the trail starting at Neel's Gap.

Speaking of Neel's Gap. That hostel could really use some air freshener.

Ron Haven
04-30-2007, 23:57
Hey everyone. I took my big trip last week to hike Georgia. I made it from Springer to Unicoi Gap before a severe case of Achilles Tendonitis took me down. My tendon is still recovering.

I averaged 10 miles/day and had a blast. I have to say that Josh and Leigh at Hiker Hostel really made it all possible. Many kudos to them.

The hilights? first was the beautiful hike north from Springer to Long Creek falls. Wow.. The people I met were awesome. Trillium were blooming like crazy. Ramps were everywhere. I saw all sorts of cool birds...including a Kinglet, some lesser known Warblers and a Grosbeak.

Wierd happenings? A few. First, there's a fellow (last seen on Thursday at Low Gap) who is building fires on the trail every night. He's hauling a couple of duffle bags north...each appear to be very heavy. He'll carry one a half mile then go back for the other and leap frog like that all day. Law enforcement was informed and was interested but never showed up. Anyways...you can see the ashes from his fires every few miles on the trail starting at Neel's Gap.

Speaking of Neel's Gap. That hostel could really use some air freshener.I hiked in Georgia yesterday.From Addis Gap to the top of Kellys Knob I could see a large smoke from somewhere south of me like Blue Mtn.You think chance he got carried away? :eek:

Mother Nature
05-03-2007, 14:24
I received an email this morning from Laura at Cloud 9 hostel. Hikers have been reporting this strange hiker to her.

I have forwarded her concerned email and the WB link describing the ashes and fire danger to the GATC trails supervisor.

Can anyone provide a description of the individual?

Thanks. With GA ready to burst into flames from the drought we almost need a fire bug on the AT right now.

Mother Nature

Lone Wolf
05-03-2007, 14:27
god forbid someone that is different than most hikers.:rolleyes:

Mother Nature
05-03-2007, 14:36
I sure don't worry about strange people on the trail. After all I did find you out there L. Wolf. :sun

But I do worry that the guy may roast more than his own nuts.

MN

Bilko
05-03-2007, 14:43
Wierd happenings? I heard there was a guy who was covered in soot and called himself 'Half Ash' is it the same guy? Or is it the guy who has tremendously large biceps from carrying duffle bags, much like Popeye's arms. Popeye carried a duffle bag, maybe the guy is ex-Navy.
I haven't seem either one, but I did see an extremely thin girl calling herself 'Olive' hanging around a fire pit. Talk about Wierd happenings.

Egads
05-03-2007, 17:54
This guy goes by the name of Trapper James.

GATC ridge runner was on the trail looking for him this week