PDA

View Full Version : cheap backpacking

journalist
05-01-2007, 12:23
Hey folks,

I was hoping you could help me with an article I'm writing for a Summer Guide issue. I was thinking it might be interesting to list a few ways to outfit yourself very cheaply to go backpacking. I figure you could make an alcohol stove, use a beer can pot, make a sleeping bag, wear old sneakers, make a rain suit out of garbage bags, and use an emergency tube tent. what else? what about a backpack? many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gray Blazer
05-01-2007, 12:36
Brush your teeth with a twig.:D Beg food off other hikers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2007, 12:40
::: dino swats Gray Blazer with her tail :::

Check out this article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329) for ideas

Gray Blazer
05-01-2007, 12:43

Check out this article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329) for ideas
Ouch!!!!:p :o :(

sirbingo
05-01-2007, 14:18
Oh mother!

Rhino-lfl
05-01-2007, 15:05
Hey folks,

I was hoping you could help me with an article I'm writing for a Summer Guide issue. I was thinking it might be interesting to list a few ways to outfit yourself very cheaply to go backpacking. I figure you could make an alcohol stove, use a beer can pot, make a sleeping bag, wear old sneakers, make a rain suit out of garbage bags, and use an emergency tube tent. what else? what about a backpack? many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Naked, run naked in the woods. Bigfoot does it. Just don't shave the parts for a few weeks before you go.

hammock engineer
05-01-2007, 15:19
There isn't a lot of links as of now. There is some talk here and on hammockforums.net talking about making for own gear. I made a hammock, tarp, bugnet, and all that goes along with it for around $100. It definitly can be done cheaper. Throw in a cheap $5 pad and a bag on top and you are good to go.

I think you can do it cheap with buying stuff from stores and online sites. You can do it really cheap and still have high quaility gear if you are willing to make it yourself.

SGT Rock
05-01-2007, 15:19
Hey folks,

I wrote that :D

If you have any questions after reading that, you can open up a discussion about it on this thread here and get a bunch of good ideas.

SGT Rock
05-01-2007, 15:25
Ok, I wrote that with some help from my WhiteBlaze friends.

You guys are great ;)

Alligator
05-01-2007, 15:57
Ok, I wrote that with some help from my WhiteBlaze friends.

You guys are great ;)Certainly Sgt. Rock should be listed as the first author in the citation. (Rock et al. 2006;) )

Where's it for again. Summer Guide??

Jester2000
05-01-2007, 20:20
Hey folks,

Everybody pays. Everybody pays the same amount. Some people choose to pay in cash, others choose to pay with their time by making gear, others choose to pay in pain and discomfort by doing things like wearing "old sneaks." Still others pay through a mixture of all three.

There's no such thing as a deal. Everybody pays.

Skidsteer
05-01-2007, 22:00
Everybody pays. Everybody pays the same amount. Some people choose to pay in cash, others choose to pay with their time by making gear, others choose to pay in pain and discomfort by doing things like wearing "old sneaks." Still others pay through a mixture of all three.

There's no such thing as a deal. Everybody pays.

Indeed. TAANSTAAFL.

hopefulhiker
05-01-2007, 22:08
two dollar tarp from northern tool, free plastic from lowes for ground cloth, old comforter from yard sale, blue mat from wal mart, old baby carrier to make pack, tennis shoes from salvation army, old silk shirts, nylon bathing suits from good will, lots of oatmeal. old soda bottles for water and fuel. plastic poncho for rain gear.. polypro underwear from discount store, old sticks for hiking poles, old coffee can for pot. spoon from Wendys...

AGRIFFIN
05-02-2007, 00:16
i got my framed backpack at the goodwill for 6 bucks, and its in mint condition...and had an excellent waterproof food bag inside with it to boot...keep the eagle eye open for yard sales and freecycle online...

fiddlehead
05-02-2007, 00:29
yeah, thrift stores are the best way to get stuff cheap but i hiked with a guy who made a simple backpack from an inexpensive (but strong) duffle bag/sack that he simply sewed shoulder straps on to. He did the CDT with that pack and it was fine. I've hiked with folks who made their own sleeping bag/down coat combination thing that was a very excellent idea. I think one could outfit one self for under $100 no problem. What do you really need? pack,shelter,sleeping bag, water bottle, food and some long underwear and raingear. Even maps are available online now. good luck