PDA

View Full Version : Beach hiking footwear?

rswanson
05-01-2007, 13:21
Can anyone make some recommendations for shoes or sandals that have worked well in sandy environments? My wife and I are headed to Assateague Nat'l Seashore this weekend and will be hiking extensively (but not entirely) in the sand. We both wear trail runners with lots of mesh now, which would surely get packed with sand. Suggestions?

Green Bean
05-01-2007, 13:38
my recommendation would have to be TEVAS!!! ~GB

Mags
05-01-2007, 14:00
Can anyone make some recommendations for shoes or sandals that have worked well in sandy environments?

I'd PM Tha Wookie.

He walked the West Coast Trail and probably has more experience hiking beaches than anyone else on this website!

His website:
http://www.thawookie.com/

Have fun!

Mother's Finest
05-01-2007, 14:17
east coast beach??? assateague

BAREFOOT BABY.....you can actually walk in a completely aligned position in the sand while barefoot. it take a bit of practice, but that sand is nice and soft....

peace
mf

rswanson
05-01-2007, 14:38
BAREFOOT BABY.....you can actually walk in a completely aligned position in the sand while barefoot. it take a bit of practice, but that sand is nice and soft....
Walking on wet sand, which we will be on for half of the day, is as tough on your feet and knees as concrete. We may also have to contend with lots of mosquitos and biting flies, for which Assateague is famous. For these reasons footwear is essential.

I'd PM Tha Wookie.
Thanks Mags, maybe I'll give him a shout. I've been to his site and I'm a fan of his outdoor ramblings and photography.

rswanson
05-01-2007, 14:53
I'd PM Tha Wookie.

He walked the West Coast Trail and probably has more experience hiking beaches than anyone else on this website!
Hmmm...Unless I'm mistaken it looks like from pics of his AWCT trailjournal (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=69005&back=1) he used Chacos.

Mags
05-01-2007, 14:58
Hmmm...Unless I'm mistaken it looks like from pics of his AWCT trailjournal (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=69005&back=1) he used Chacos.

That sounds about right. I do know he's mentioned Chaco sandals in the past.

I do not know which model, though.

Moon Monster
05-01-2007, 16:30
Walking on wet sand, which we will be on for half of the day, is as tough on your feet and knees as concrete. We may also have to contend with lots of mosquitos and biting flies, for which Assateague is famous. For these reasons footwear is essential.

Harder as as concrete? I've never left footprints on concrete.

I've taken sandals while beach backpacking on both coasts and always kicked them off fairly early on. In theory, I wanted them to gain traction in the soft, dry sand. I wore Chacos, but I don't like the straps getting sandy and wet. I find it very nice walking barefoot--so natural.

I imagine another issue being over-working your foot tendons and muscles if you're not used to going barefoot with a pack. I've had this problem when starting new long trips wearing just sandals, but it's no worse than sore legs you could still get with shoes.

I also have Vibram Five Fingers and many of their users are beach-goers. I've had them on river-side sand. I think they would be quite comfortable on a beach unless sand gets caked under your toes. But, neither sandals or low-rise VFFs will do what you want them to do for bugs. (Vibram does make high-top FFs, but they are for watersports and would make your feet sweat too much on land--the material does not breathe too well)

However, the biting stuff is not out in force in early May like the horrors of summer. In July at Assateague, I've inhaled mosquitoes and gotten dozens of bites per minute they are so thick. But, in early May, it's much nicer. And you'll have the ocean breeze. Stopped and in camp is a different matter, but that will not be on the wet sand I assume.

rswanson
05-01-2007, 17:36
However, the biting stuff is not out in force in early May like the horrors of summer. In July at Assateague, I've inhaled mosquitoes and gotten dozens of bites per minute they are so thick. But, in early May, it's much nicer. And you'll have the ocean breeze. Stopped and in camp is a different matter, but that will not be on the wet sand I assume.
Thanks Moon Monster. On the coast I've been swarmed as early as mid April and as late as early September. I don't think the bugs are out yet due to the long, late winter we had but I don't want to take chances. If it were me I'd say 'what the hay' but my wife is coming so comfort is critical.

Anyone have experiences with the current different models of Chacos or Tevas and suggestions to go along?

paulbrown137
05-01-2007, 19:33
My preference would be bare feet over shorter hikes. On longer trips you might go with a trail shoe and some gaiters.

For water crossings I use these. You can put your insoles from your shoes inside and they are like nice moccasins. Sand proof. Light. Cheap

http://sandskins.com/

Krewzer
05-01-2007, 23:04
Can anyone make some recommendations for shoes or sandals that have worked well in sandy environments? My wife and I are headed to Assateague Nat'l Seashore this weekend and will be hiking extensively (but not entirely) in the sand. We both wear trail runners with lots of mesh now, which would surely get packed with sand. Suggestions?

I don't know the conditions or where abouts of the beach at Assateague Nat'l Seashore, but I live at Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the sea side of the Mountains to Sea Trail.

It's all sand out here so I'd save my good trail runners for rougher trails. Any old pair of good fitting sneaks work fine. But, you have to empty sand out of them every so often. It gets uncomfortable with sand bunching your toes.

I like Tevas. Mainly because I can get them wet if I want to. And, they give my feet protection from the sand, which is abrasive and can get hot in summer.

fiddlehead
05-01-2007, 23:42
I have hiked the beach trail in Olympic NP (Rialto to the Indian Reservation) 4 times as well as now live near the beach here in Phuket, thailand where i go running on the beach a few days a week. I would take my Merrill Trail runnners on a beach hike but would prefer to walk/run them barefoot. But keep in mind i believe it takes some building up of the skin to the abrasive nature of the sand. When i first started running on the beach, 3-4 miles was my limit before my feet would get sore. now, i have been here a while and can go all day but it takes some building up. On the rialto beach trail there are also a few river crossings that the trail runners would be perfect for. Of course they are sandy bottom rivers so barefoot is ok too. I run in sand a lot and wouldn't worry about a little sand in my shoes. builds character! have fun. sounds like a good trip. Also i see you are worried about mosquitos too. Most mosquitos i've encountered in my travels have only been prominent an hour before and after sunset and sunrise. the rest of the day isn't worth worrying about.

LostInSpace
05-01-2007, 23:59
Pray for an onshore wind. Otherwise the green-eyed flys will get you in the daytime and the 'skeeters at night. The sand is good ... not a lot of pebbles and shells. Wear socks in sandals if the bugs are out. I prefer socks in sandals when hiking on the beach because sand between straps and the bear skin can cause blisters. Sand under the straps is hard to avoid, at least for me.