PDA

View Full Version : Bull story in VA

Fannypack
05-01-2007, 16:58
From Zero's journal entry of Monday, April 30, 2007, the following was extracted:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=177567

Today I jogged to the Troutville PO with about 7 pounds of winter gear that I was sending home. It was about a 3 mile run. Picked up an awesome Package from "Complete Package". Then got a ride to the outfitters by Pat. The outfitters were sold out of Therma-Rest pad patches.

The other day when Hawk, Alley Cat, And I did that 6.5 mile evening "slack" from va 624 to US 311; I forgot to mention a good story:

We were moving about 3.5 miles per hour without our packs and we came up to a cow pasture with a hurd of black cattle. The trail led right through the middle of their hurd that was about 50 head. There were several new born calves with there mothers. Being from a beef producing area and having walked through hurds like this; I began looking for the bull. There he was. There was the trail leading us right by the new born. I knew this was not good.
I began to use my baby voice, saying, "it's ok, I'm not going to hurt you." The bull was about 20 yards away and began moving our way. Hawk and I moved to a slight jog to avoid the bull's path. Alley Cat froze! The bull started to head straight for the Frozen Alley. I turned around and starting yelling at the bull to take his attention off of Alley. Hawk did the same. The bull saw us and darted at hawk. Hawk sprinted away; then he came at me; and I sprinted hoping that I would not be trampled. Luckily the bull snorted and veered away from me and stopped.

Alley was still frozen! She was safer now; but, not out of danger. Hawk and I were out of the hurd; but, she was still in the middle of the pack. In an elevated; but, soothing voice. I said, "It's OK Alley, move, run, come on,". She did and the bull glanced at her; but, let her pass. It was all we talked about for the rest of the night. I joked, "Alley it is bears that you do not run from; Bulls run!"

She named us El Hawk Matador Y Zero Toreador!

:bananaNow isn't that a bunch of bull?!?:banana

Hikerhead
05-01-2007, 17:59
Good story. I had a similar experience in the pasture before you cross the road leading up to Sawtooth ridge. This time it was steers and a group of about 10 backed us up against the fence.