PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Lipton Side Dishes

weily1
05-02-2007, 09:53
As I prepare to move from fancy freeze dried dinners to Lipton Side dishes, I wanted some advice on preparation. I know the directions on most dishes call for water, milk and margarine. Do you use powdered milk? If so, do you increase the amount of water? Are you substituting anything (e.g. vegetable/olive oil) for the margarine?

Ender
05-02-2007, 10:28
Usually I don't bother with adding anything extra, except for olive oil if I'm carrying it, in which case I put lots of olive in in. No milk or butter or anything like that though... too much trouble to pack.

saimyoji
05-02-2007, 10:30
Just add water for me.

Lyle
05-02-2007, 10:43
Plain water - it will taste great when you're hungary. In winter, if I have some kind of oil, I add a bit, but not necessary. Can also add a can or pack of tuna, chicken, turkey, or freeze-dried vegies. Increases volume, flavor and variety.

jlb2012
05-02-2007, 10:47
olive oil instead of butter and Nido instead of milk if you want to

sarbar
05-02-2007, 10:55
If you want to use milk, just add the volume of liquid called for (ie..if it says 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup water then add 1 1/2 cups water.)
A good ratio for dry milk powder is 1/3 cup dry for every liquid cup of milk called for.
So if it calls for 1/2 cup milk, toss in that 1/2 cup water plus 2-3 Tbls of dry milk.
Got you confused yet? ;)

As for oil or butter, use what you like. Olive oil works fine though.

Nest
05-02-2007, 16:18
Definately cook some meals at home first. I was cooking on my backpacking stove, and with powdered milk I still used 1/2 cup less water than on the directions. I guess it is because the stove cooks so fast that the water that is calculated to evaporate during the cooking on a house stove doesn't evaporate. Very runny and nasty first couple of meals.

Seeker
05-02-2007, 16:36
one whole package is too much for me for one meal, so i usually split them into two, bagged separately. i add about 3 tablespoonfuls of powdered milk per half-package. i add dried carrots and some meat to it when i cook it up. if using jerky, i leave the water the same, 1 cup per half package. if using foil packaged meat, i use a little less, for the reason mentioned earlier (makes it too runny).

i do the same thing with my breakfast oatmeal: 2 packs into a ziplock, with 3 tablespoons of powdered milk.

jlb2012
05-02-2007, 16:40
if its runny just toss in some instant potatoes

Old Grouse
05-02-2007, 16:45
Can these be partially rehydrated in advance with cold water and then finshed off with hot at mealtime?

Alligator
05-02-2007, 17:32
Definately cook some meals at home first. I was cooking on my backpacking stove, and with powdered milk I still used 1/2 cup less water than on the directions. I guess it is because the stove cooks so fast that the water that is calculated to evaporate during the cooking on a house stove doesn't evaporate. Very runny and nasty first couple of meals.There is that simmer step normally.

Skidsteer
05-02-2007, 17:48
Can these be partially rehydrated in advance with cold water and then finshed off with hot at mealtime?

Yes, but it's really not needed. It's difficult enough to keep a Lipton's from getting mushy as it is.

jlb2012
05-02-2007, 17:50
Yes, but it's really not needed. It's difficult enough to keep a Lipton's from getting mushy as it is.

especially the Lipton's noodle things - these days I almost always use the rice things instead of the noodle things for this reason

Skidsteer
05-02-2007, 17:57
especially the Lipton's noodle things - these days I almost always use the rice things instead of the noodle things for this reason

When I carry the noodles I like to split the package in half and add back 2-3 ounces of whole wheat pasta. Tends to make it easier to get it 'al dente' and it's probably more nutritious.

Toolshed
05-02-2007, 18:43
If you use powdered coffee creamer in your coffee, throw a spoonful in your Lipton's - It will add to richness and flavor - Otherwise water and O Oil.

mweinstone
05-02-2007, 19:26
i , the great and powerfull matthewski, will now disertate on the subjectus. feast of all,...open the lid to a trashcan, and toss the lipton side. along with the side, will go your high sodium and low exspected lifetime. now,... to make a lipton side,.. you need noodles and cheese. if you add salt and milk and butter or margerine,... you have lipton sides good brother. you see,.. evil lipton sides were created by people with less than your prostate in mind. so to slay. the pun master is in the house. ohhhhhh yeah! now. not only does your own chease make more sence, its not powder, its better. we all know cheese powder is just as deadly as all the powder drugs. so,.. take some chease powder if you must! but do it with macs and chease or something not so so loaded with stupid empty chem trails. fart some lentles. carry macs and cheese. but lipton sides? there small, sucky, and suckyer. full of more death than your aveage little debbie product. grosser to read the ingredients than they are to eat. would you feed this to jesus? well.

reader, dont know anything. rambleing cause im happy about trail days. im off to vandelize the thread stream with unsolicited blather. late........

Gray Blazer
05-02-2007, 20:47
[quote=mweinstone;358977]i , the great and powerfull matthewski, will now disertate on the subjectus. feast of all,...open the lid to a trashcan, and toss the lipton side. along with the side, will go your high sodium and low exspected lifetime. now,... to make a lipton side,.. you need noodles and cheese. if you add salt and milk and butter or margerine,... you have lipton sides good brother. you see,.. evil lipton sides were created by people with less than your prostate in mind. so to slay. the pun master is in the house. ohhhhhh yeah! now. not only does your own chease make more sence, its not powder, its better. we all know cheese powder is just as deadly as all the powder drugs. so,.. take some chease powder if you must! but do it with macs and chease or something not so so loaded with stupid empty chem trails. fart some lentles. carry macs and cheese. but lipton sides? there small, sucky, and suckyer. full of more death than your aveage little debbie product. grosser to read the ingredients than they are to eat. would you feed this to jesus? well.

reader, dont know anything. rambleing cause im happy about trail days. im off to vandelize the thread stream with unsolicited blather. late........[/quote)

You were making sense for once. I especially like the part about would you feed that to Jesus? Little Debbie, indeed!

Peaks
05-03-2007, 07:50
Very simple. If the package calls for milk, then add the equal amount of water. I usually carry powdered milk, and add a spoonful of powdered milk.

Substitutes for butter include butter buds, squeeze Parkay, and olive oil.

moxie
05-03-2007, 08:50
When you get a few weeks into a thru hike you will be amazed by your cooking skills and what you eat. I had did carry parkay to combat weight loss, never used enough water in any Lipton type dish, mixed gorp with noodles, added instant oatmeal to rice to extend it. You adapt and use what you have in your food bag. Instant mashed potatoes mix with anything. Hiker boxes along the way provide variety beyond your imagination. Being from Maine I made and carried moose jerkey and put it in any dish, beef jerkey would work as well. Just keep your food purchas light weight, mix with water and pig out when you stop at a trail town.

mudhead
05-03-2007, 09:37
Try some at home. Be prepared to want two.

aaroniguana
05-03-2007, 22:36
Definately cook some meals at home first. I was cooking on my backpacking stove, and with powdered milk I still used 1/2 cup less water than on the directions. I guess it is because the stove cooks so fast that the water that is calculated to evaporate during the cooking on a house stove doesn't evaporate. Very runny and nasty first couple of meals.

This explains the disparity between my alky stove and my canister stove. The havebeen very "wet" on the alky stove. hadn't considered the lack of simmer evaporation. Thanks!