PDA

View Full Version : Bromley Mountain Shelter (new)

poison_ivy
09-14-2003, 07:53
This is a gorgeous new shelter ... built last weekend over two days. The trail crew was still there working when I stayed there. The shelter is located one mile south of the Bromley summit, facing west. It is huge -- could easily sleep 12 and they are planning to add a loft... It also has porch benches running along the two front sides and a nice butcher-block style table.

Water is a little bit of a downhill hike from the rear of the shelter in a spring. There were some concerns expressed that it might go dry on a dry year but the little well they had created was overflowing while I was there.

Privy is huge -- built to be handicapped accessible (trail crew said this was required because the shelter is on federal land, I guess.)

The Shelter was built in memory of Debby Edelstein (I believe, sorry if that's spelled wrong!) so I'm not sure if it will eventually be known as the Edelstein shelter or the Bromley Shelter.

(In addition the warming hut at the top of bromley remains open to hikers as well.)
- Ivy

tribes
09-14-2003, 08:16
When I was passing near Vt 11 & 30 in mid Auguust we had heard the helicopters dropping the lumber for the trail crews. I was wondering what was going on. Now I know.....

Tin Man
09-20-2003, 09:56
Did they preserve the tenting area? We section hike each year and will get there next year. We like to put up the tent when someone is using the shelter.

poison_ivy
09-20-2003, 22:35
The tent site is still there as well... the weekend I was there, the trail crew was either repairing or building new tent platforms.

- Ivy

Minerva
09-21-2003, 20:42
Poison Ivy,

What you saw was the LT Patrol and Manchester GMC section crews dismantling the old Bromley Tent site. Use of the old site is discouraged to allow re-vegetation in the area. Tenters are encouraged to use one of the four new tent platforms at the new Bromley Mtn Shelter.

Cin

Lone Wolf
09-21-2003, 21:49
Just another unwarranted shelter. Leave the AT alone.

poison_ivy
09-22-2003, 09:29
Thanks for the answer on the tent sites minerva... When I hiked in, I did ask one of the crew members if the tent sites were still open and he said yes and that they were fixing them up. But he was working all day at the shelter, so either he didn't actually know or I misunderstood.

Sorry for the confusion everyone!

- Ivy

dirtyhippieboy
01-23-2007, 04:34
I worked on this crew, we dismantled the tent site because it was ruining the creek nearby. Not everyone is respectful enough to walk away from the water source before using the bathroom. The new shelter site is awesome though complete with a composting privy!

Chenango
10-01-2008, 17:01
Gerat shelter. The privy is awesome. It rained with lots of wind yet everybody stayed dry. I like the table and benches under the very large overhang. And pegs ... these were everywhere. I give it 5-stars.

oruoja
10-02-2008, 17:22
Went through there two weeks ago on a week long trip. Nice design, good water nearby, and three good tent platforms spaced out on the hill above the shelter. Also, being in the area, a positive comment for the Mountain Goat in Manchester Center. Had a problem with one of my poles and they were able to replace the section on the spot after a repair failed to do the trick.

Chenango
10-04-2008, 10:01
oruoja - who is Mt. Goat? Is that the outfitter on Rt 11 as you head into town? I have passed by there, but never stopped in. Usually I hit EMS instead.

Jeff
10-04-2008, 15:00
EMS is next to the Price Chopper food store. Mountain Goat is further west across from the Northshire Bookstore.

Chenango
10-05-2008, 17:42
Thanks. I will stop in there the next time I am in the area.

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 17:55
Just another unwarranted shelter. Leave the AT alone.

Highly doubt that it is unwarranted. Again considering, as you say, Benton Mckaye's "Flawed" vision of what the shelters are today.

Yukon
10-05-2008, 20:28
Just hiked by this shelter about 6 hours ago, stopped in to check it out. One of the nicest shelter's I have ever seen, great layout and people have been doing a great job of keeping it clean. Privy is real nice too...

ga2me97
04-07-2009, 17:56
Sounds nice, man I need to get back to New England for some hiking, its been way to long.

KB1EJH
08-17-2010, 20:43
Stopped by on July 26, 2010. All was in good shape with the shelter, privy and tent platforms. There are two single tent platforms and a two platform site for a total of 4 platforms. The spring is a bit of a walk down past the shelter but had water for treating available. I'll post some pictures in the VT section of the photos page.

shelterbuilder
08-17-2010, 21:54
C'mon, folks - PICTURES! Where are the pictures??? Shelter, privy, tent sites...inquiring minds want to know. :D

dsquid
06-29-2011, 19:33
Gorgeous shelter, and packed with 12 people last Saturday night. Also 20 scouts at the tent site. Good times. :)

Carl in FL
06-29-2011, 19:54
Lemme see now. This is remote enough to require air drops for lumber,
but the privy has to have handicapped access due to Federal requirements.

That's the government I've come to know and love.

it does look sharp as all get out though.

dsquid
06-29-2011, 21:17

The Privy was large and clean, but it's hardly "handicapped accessible". Unless you remove the roof and lower the wheelchair in by chopper.

Carl in FL
06-29-2011, 21:35
Well, sorry. I only know what I read about in the posts.
You have to admit, though, it sounds about par for Federal Regulations.

Unless you remove the roof and lower the wheelchair in by chopper.

I'd pay good money to see that......

Monkeywrench
06-30-2011, 07:39

When my daughter was young I used to take her on weekend backpack trips all the time. Since she has CP she can't hike on her own, but we alternated her walking while holding my hand to her riding atop my shoulders. Sometimes I even hauled along her folding walker for use at the day's campsite. It sure was nice when we camped at a place where she could get in and out of the privy unassisted.

Driver8
06-30-2011, 13:27

Wow, a cheap shot at the government. How constructive and needful - we're all the better off for it. :sun

Jeff
06-30-2011, 13:40
This is a wonderful shelter, well maintained by the Green Mountain Club with extra care given by Marge and Bob Fish !!!

I seem to recall a story that the workparty who built this shelter included Bob Peoples. That guy is everywhere on the AT !!!!

Cookerhiker
10-10-2012, 15:01
Yes, a very nice shelter with a cooking area under the roof overhang and surrounded by a bench on 3 sides. Stayed alone there 2 nights ago. A mouse ran over my face once during the night and I frequently heard something pawing nearby - a porcupine?