PDA

View Full Version : GG Vapor Trail Hydration Sleeve and shock Cord?

Todd Heyn
05-02-2007, 21:45
I just picked up my new Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack today. I think that this pack is going to be just what I have been looking for. I do have a question though. On the inside of the pack ther is the hydration sleeve agains the back where they always are but there is also some crossed shock cord along the front fo the pocket. What would be the use of this shock cord? I just do not see a need and am tempted to just cut it out. What am I missing?

Chache
05-02-2007, 22:21
Are you talking about the handle strap?

Footslogger
05-02-2007, 22:27
I just picked up my new Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack today. I think that this pack is going to be just what I have been looking for. I do have a question though. On the inside of the pack ther is the hydration sleeve agains the back where they always are but there is also some crossed shock cord along the front fo the pocket. What would be the use of this shock cord? I just do not see a need and am tempted to just cut it out. What am I missing?
==========================

Good question. Personally, I would never stick a bladder full of water vertically against my back where the heat builds up. Plus, getting to it to refill the bladder would be a pain in the a$$.

That said ...I took the shock cord out and used it to make a water bottle holder on the shoulder strap.

'Slogger

Rambler
05-04-2007, 13:53
Before you cut it out, call Granite Gear. It is probably just to help hold the various sizes of water bottles in place.

Miner
05-04-2007, 14:57
First of all, there is a huge thick pad that provides the pack support between the hydration bladder and your back. It more then provides adequate insulation from your back. You will not get any heat transfer to the bladder. I say this having ater having used this pack in the desert.

The shock cord is to more securely hold the bladder in place when you don't have a full pack (which I rarely do these days). As the bladder empties it tends to collapse some; smaller sizes more so then larger ones. I found that when I used my pack almost empty as a day pack after setting up camp, it really does help support the bladder. Can you get by without it, sure. But it does provide some help in certain circumstances.

As for refilling them while they are in the pack, I use a water filter and an camelbal quick release adapter on my drinking tube so I can refill it from my filter through the drinking tube. I never have to open my pack to get to it.