PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Lid?

Todd Heyn
05-02-2007, 21:59
I was wondering if anyone has used the accessory lid that can be purchased and used with the Granite Gear Vapor Trail? It states that the volume is 3 liters. What can you fit into this space? Rain Gear? Trail lunch? Anything else? What are your thoughts?

Chache
05-02-2007, 22:28
I was wondering if anyone has used the accessory lid that can be purchased and used with the Granite Gear Vapor Trail? It states that the volume is 3 liters. What can you fit into this space? Rain Gear? Trail lunch? Anything else? What are your thoughts?
When I first got it I thought that it looked so small. Then I started loading it up with all the small stuff and things I wanted to get to easy. You will be amazed at how much this baby will hold. it really expands. You won't be sorry.

Footslogger
05-02-2007, 22:31
=====================================

Can't vouch for the 3 Liter capacity but my wife and I both have the lid on our Vapor Trails. It lies flat and it constructed of stretch fabric. Handy for maps, journal and other quick access items. Don't think you could fit rain gear inside. Nice thing about the Lid though is that you can use it as a cover flap and stow things underneath it.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2007, 00:15
I used one. I don't get the 3 liter volume, either. That seems more accurate, it's more like two fists.

It was handy for small, frequently-needed items that needed to be zipped up to prevent loss, and it helped lock down the top of the pack. Warning: you have to make sure you insert the straps correctly to attach it to the pack or it pulls on the slits--no instructions come with it. All of the tension should be in the straps, none in the slits, when you cinch it down. Very tricky to set up, hard to figure out.

The new shoulder pocket GG sells looks handier to me, although after a month on the trail using hiking poles my shoulders were flexible enough for me to be able to take stuff out of the lid without removing the pack.

Miner
05-04-2007, 14:46
I don't know about 3L, but you can fit more inside then you think. It stretches a lot. To be honest, I'm using it less and less. Lately, I mainly just use it to hold my clothing under it as I shed it during the day. I'm finding hip belt pockets to be far more useful to me.

Kerosene
05-04-2007, 15:52
I've used The Lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GG350) for my last 3 section hikes. I find it to be a convenient place to store some things that I need to be readily accessible, although hipbelt pockets would be a better solution in my mind. I do carry my wallet in the lid as there is really nowhere else where I can put it and be confident that it's still with me.

campbell
05-05-2007, 20:15
I also have a GG Vapor Trail and purchased a lid for it. But I really don’t see how I can attach it. I think I understand how the single strap on the triangular end of the lid goes down and around one of the compression straps on the pack, which acts as the opening and closing mechanism. I see how the two slits in the lid line up with the two straps that attached the pack itself to the padded shoulder straps on the top of the pack and I suspect the straps go through the two slits on the lid to secure the other end of the lid since the slits and the straps line up perfectly. But I don’t see how to make this happen because I can’t get the straps out of the connection buckles because they each have the end sewn over which acts as a stop and won’t go through the buckle.

Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks

Appalachian Tater
05-05-2007, 21:15
The load lifters go through the slits at the top. The male tip on the strap at the bottom or point of the lid plugs into the female receptor on the pack between the load lifters. (That's the important part). Then the female plug on the bottom or point of the lid hooks up to the male tip on the strap at the the back.

Adjust the strap of the lid short enough so that all of the force goes through it instead of the lid itself. The lid should not be under tension, but should just ride on top of its strap. The strap on the back of the back is used to cinch down the top of the pack. Once the strap attached to the lid is adjusted, you don't have to mess with it again.

I had mine on wrong all the way to Pearisburg. They should give instructions. I didn't feel bad when they had to replace my lid because I had been using the lid itself to cinch down the pack and the slits tore. The wrong way is the obvious way and the right way is quite difficult to figure out, especially when you aren't trying. I only discovered it by mistake when putting on the new lid.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/ultralight_lid/index.html

There is no indication in the picture as to how to set it up properly. The main point is that the force is going through the single strap and the slits at the lift-loading straps should not be under stress. If set up incorrectly, the lid will interfere with the load-lifter function. My whole pack fit better once the problem was corrected because the load-lifters functioned properly.

To get the straps of the load-lifters through the buckle, you have to sit there and wiggle them through. It takes a while and is frustrating, but it is possible. The good news is you don't have to remove it again, it seems to wash okay when attached to the pack.

If you are still having problems, I'll try again. It seems so simple once you figure it out.

Chache
05-05-2007, 22:19
I . But I don’t see how to make this happen because I can’t get the straps out of the connection buckles because they each have the end sewn over which acts as a stop and won’t go through the buckle.

Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks
You just have to use more force. They will go thru

campbell
05-08-2007, 19:19
I got the lid on but would have never figured it out without the help I got here. GG should definately include some instructions on this piece of gear. I used a standard dinner knife to help compress the double straps to get them to slide through the buckles.

Thanks again.