ShakeyLeggs
05-03-2007, 00:48
flyfishing:

does anybody do it?
is there time to do it?
is it worth the extra weight?
can you eat what you catch?
:p

The trail passes thru to many jurisdictions with different regulations as to catch & release and keep to really make it feasible. Also buying all the fishing permits would get rather expensive. As for eating what you catch sure you can but I would not rely on it as a main source of food.

jrwiesz
05-03-2007, 10:56
The trail passes thru to many jurisdictions with different regulations as to catch & release and keep to really make it feasible. Also buying all the fishing permits would get rather expensive. As for eating what you catch sure you can but I would not rely on it as a main source of food.

There is another thread on this subject - A Different Hooking Up, that I started a while back. Not too much response to it. So my guess was/is that, perhaps not too much fishing on most thrus. I did a little research; 14 states, maybe, $20 per state for a 3 maybe, 10 day permit. $300 roughly for high estimate of the thru. Money better spent elsewhere? I'd rather be fishing? It all depends on ones' priorities. One privious contributor quizzed about my "stealth fishing"; my concern would be resultant fine for, "caught in violation", might run up the cost more than if I purchased permits. I've never gone to the woods without fishing gear, most likely won't go without for the AT thru[undecided as yet]. But, everyone is encouraged to HYOH. I won't be planning on eating fish, but may be envied when I am.:sun

ShakeyLeggs
05-03-2007, 11:04
There is another thread on this subject - A Different Hooking Up, that I started a while back. Not too much response to it. So my guess was/is that, perhaps not too much fishing on most thrus. I did a little research; 14 states, maybe, $20 per state for a 3 maybe, 10 day permit. $300 roughly for high estimate of the thru. Money better spent elsewhere? I'd rather be fishing? It all depends on ones' priorities. One privious contributor quizzed about my "stealth fishing"; my concern would be resultant fine for, "caught in violation", might run up the cost more than if I purchased permits. I've never gone to the woods without fishing gear, most likely won't go without for the AT thru[undecided as yet]. But, everyone is encouraged to HYOH. I won't be planning on eating fish, but may be envied when I am.:sun

I don't know about other state fishing permits but here in PA the non resident permit is $52 and then on top of that the trout stamp is $8. The vast majority of streams you will pass on the trail here in PA are trout streams so as a non resident you are looking at $ 60 for just PA. Not much in the skeem of things and not prohibitive. Just something to consider. I find that I am just to plumb wore out at the end of the day to do any fishing but allot of my friends enjoy dipping a line. I would say if you enjoy fishing go for it just keep in mind the costs associated with it.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/faqlice.htm#2

Yahtzee
05-03-2007, 15:33
I know of fishing fiends who zeroed and went fishing on Fontana Dam.

Off hand, I can't think of too many spots in GA, NC, TN where it would be worth it to fish. Not sure if NOC allows fishing. Smokies, of course, but the logistics (regs and passes) might be tough.

Not far up the Susquehanna River in Pa. from where the trail crosses, after Duncannon, is considered one of the best fly fishing spots in the country. Why? I don't know. So, that is definitely a great spot to get your fly fix on.

If the cost of out-of-state licenses is prohibitive and you have to select from the states, I would recommend Maine. The rivers a clear, the lakes are clear, the ponds are clear and the Fisheries Service has it all under control. There is no messing in Maine. But that is because it is worth it.

Go for it. Happy Trails and Happy Fishing.

mudhead
05-03-2007, 19:31
But it ain't safe to eat the fish.

fiddlehead
05-03-2007, 21:53
That's true in the East (above) but.......
I've caught lots of fish on the PCT both in the Sierras and the Trinity Alps.
I've hiked with people who really caught a lot of fish on the CDT (i won't say where online) But will say that fishing in the Wind's is nowhere near as good as it used to be.
As for the AT, i once saw a ranger/cop kind of guy out in the rain, hiding in a bush in Maine looking for people fishing without a license. I found that hard to believe as he looked awful cold hiding there.
Also, the CT trail has some decent fishing as well as the state line trail in MT/ID
I usually carry a hook and some line and check out my luck as it's easy to find yourself in some good looking fishing spots if you hike a lot.
I know a guy who doesn't take much food at all as he knows the fishing will be good. but again, i'm not saying where.

zelph
05-03-2007, 22:11
Yes it's worth it. Catch and release or consume shortly after you catch some. Use smallest closed face spinning reel and a small clear plastic float with dry fly or wet. Use live bait for a change of pace, whatever is hatching at the time.

Have fun, fishing works for me. Recently made a dual purpose trekker fisher pole. Caught two smallmouth this week with it.