PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65 vs. Kelty Shadow 4500

jedcat
05-03-2007, 09:15
I'm getting ready to replace my North Face MG-55 (more of a mountaineering pack) with one that's more suitable for a few days on the trail. I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Osprey Atmos 65 & the Kelty Shadow 4500 (with the Osprey Aether 70 still a consideration also). They seem to be close to the same weight. I have read what some people have said about the Osprey. Is there anyone that knows anything about the Kelty Shadow & how it performs? Thanks.

whykickamoocow
05-06-2007, 22:46
I can't answer the above question, but I do have a question of my own.

My partner and i have narrowed down our search for a pack for her 2008 thru. The osprey Aura 50 in a small which is 47 litres and an Aerial 55 in a small which is 52 litres. The Aerial is 12 0z heavier and slightly more expensive. The Aerial looks to have a greater carrying weight capacity which would allow a few more options if we have longer duration between resupplies. Looking to keep her pack weight down below 25lbs. Is the extra strength of the Aerial and possible comfort worth the extra 12 oz? Anyone got any ideas as regards to the best choice?

attroll
05-07-2007, 00:16
I just recently bought the Atmos 65 and I love it. I was going to buy the Atmos 50 but it is small and for just a couple extra more ounces the 65 is worth it. I have not used it on an overnighter yet, but have used it fully packed on a couple mile hike and it is really comfortable.

If you do a search in this web site for "Atmos 65" you will find a bunch of reviews on it,

Cuffs
05-07-2007, 11:13
Ive got the Atmos 50 and just thru hiked the Pinhoti (140ish miles) with it and didnt have a single problem. Plenty of room too.

whykickamoocow
05-08-2007, 07:25
Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking along the lines of the Ariel 55 because its a longer pack and thought that this would keep the weight closer to the body, whereas the Atmos 50 has that big pocket on the back of the pack further away from the body.

Many people seem to be very happy about their Atmos 50 with regards to comfort and space. When I first looked at the pack it just seemed far to small for a thru hike, but from reading other peoples post's I'm beginning to lean towards the Atmos and away from the Ariel

attroll
05-08-2007, 12:18
Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking along the lines of the Ariel 55 because its a longer pack and thought that this would keep the weight closer to the body, whereas the Atmos 50 has that big pocket on the back of the pack further away from the body.

Many people seem to be very happy about their Atmos 50 with regards to comfort and space. When I first looked at the pack it just seemed far to small for a thru hike, but from reading other peoples post's I'm beginning to lean towards the Atmos and away from the Ariel
Before I went out and bought the Atmos 50, if I were you I would bring all the gear your going to put in it for your thru hike into the store your going to buy it from and make sure it will all fits in the 50. That was what I did.

Cuffs
05-08-2007, 18:50
Several months ago when I was looking for a smaller pack than my 4500 ci Gregory Shasta, a fellow WBer noted that "nature abhores a vacuum." That sold me on going smaller. If I dont have the space, I wont overpack, which I am very good at doing. Going with the 50 made me pare down gear to the necessities.

Passionphish
05-08-2007, 19:07
Seriously consider the Gregory Jade. Its the lady's version of the Z-55. A great pack all around. And not a bad price either. It has one of the largest weight and size loads for its size and weight!!!

tanzer2250
05-19-2007, 09:09
For those that have used the Atmos 65, how did you pack your tent. I will be using an REI half dome hc with footprint. Certainly bigger than what someone would use on the AT, but it suits my weekend - several day adventure purposes. I would like to pack it inside, but find keeping it in the stuff sack takes up a lot of room, particulalarly with the curve of the frame. If I take it out of the stuff sack, I am concerned with getting dirt or water inside the pack. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Ben.

Kerosene
05-19-2007, 09:44
You can find reviews for many of the Osprey packs at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/, but no one seems to have posted anything on the Kelty Shadow.

d2m
05-20-2007, 11:59
I have a shadow 4500 , and have used it for my thru hike in 06. It now has close to 3000 miles on it. I like the pack bag but do not like the suspension . the sholder straps tend to loosen as you walk. also i switched the hip belt . spend the extra money and get the osprey.