PDA

View Full Version : Platypus problems?

RockDoc
05-03-2007, 11:06
OK, they are light, that's a given.

- But how do they hold up on a long hike?

-Rather expensive! $21 with tube.

-The fill hole is tiny, difficult to fill, and impossible to clean through. What do you do when the bladder gets groody on the trail?

-The plastic is thin, easy to puncture, and it hardens and is prone to cracking pretty quick.

What is there to love about these bladders?:-?
Thoughts?

Footslogger
05-03-2007, 11:19
Carried one (1.8 Liter Hoser model) all the way from Springer to Katahdin. Plus I carried the 4 Liter handled Platy for water gathering at night. I little discolored but otherwise both were still water tight at Katahdin and are still what I would carry if I went hiking tomorrow.

There might be a "lemon" here and there and I did see many hikers in 2003 with leakage ...but from my experience the key is handling.

'Slogger

paulbrown137
05-03-2007, 12:01
I went from a trusty lexan 1L nalgene bottle to all types of bladders (nalgene, MSR, camelbak). After using bladders for a while I've changed my mind about them. Yes, very convenient for drinking on the go, but hey, i'm no adventure racer. The nalgene one leaked at the quick attachment point when stuff in my pack, the others are a pain to fill while trying to keep the bite valve out of the dirt, water, etc. All are a pain to clean and store once you get home. I have gotten rid of my hydration bladders except for a 6L dromlite for water at camp and for longer trips with no water on the way. I now carry two 1L nalgene flexible cantenes, but am considering again taking my lexan nalgene bottle for the durability factor and the ability to take a hot water bottle to bed.

orangebug
05-03-2007, 12:17
I have 4 12 year old 2.1 liter Platypuses. One has leaked and was replaced free. The biggest problem has been leakage from the mouthpiece. A slow drip, usually requiring replacing the mouthpiece. I never had much trouble filling them with a Sierra cup.

But, I find a Nalgene or recycled sports drink bottle works easier and lighter. I carry a Big Gulp (5 liter ziplock Platy) for evening water supply. The ziplock has never worked.

rswanson
05-03-2007, 13:01
OK, they are light, that's a given.

- But how do they hold up on a long hike?

-Rather expensive! $21 with tube.

-The fill hole is tiny, difficult to fill, and impossible to clean through. What do you do when the bladder gets groody on the trail?

-The plastic is thin, easy to puncture, and it hardens and is prone to cracking pretty quick.

What is there to love about these bladders?:-?
Thoughts?
I'd dispute all those points, with the exception of price. But I don't find $20 particularly expensive for something that you should get a lot of use out of. I own bladders from Nalgene, Platypus, and a generic and have never had a leak, given that they are sealed properly. Some are easier to fill, like the Platy Big Zip. For a smaller hole, its easy to use a cookpot or cup to fill them.

That said, I almost never carry a hydration bladder because I don't find them to be any more convenient than a 1 liter soda bottle when you factor having to remove your pack to refill them. If you're hanging the bladder in an internal sleeve in your pack, its even more of a chore.

I use a 1L soda bottle almost exclusively and carry a 2+L Platy bottle for dry camps. Both together weigh about 3 ounces, give me capacity of almost a gallon, and cost about $12 total. Simple, light, durable, cheap.

spittinpigeon
05-03-2007, 13:11
I LOVE platypus bags. Granted I went through four of them, but I also went through four packs, seven shoes, two cameras.....
First platypus broke cuz I dropped it when it was FULL. Lost one, and two developed leaks, but were replaced for free. I started carrying a spare, in case I dropped one again and it became unusable, or I needed to put whiskey somewhere. If one sprung a leak, it was always small, and I was able to use it until I reached town.
IF... you carry a water filter, you bite off the bite valve and keep it in your mouth, bend the hose to keep water already in there from spilling out while you attach the hose to the output of the water pump (water pump should be easily accessible too) and you don't even have to take off your pack. Immediately camel up, and you're off. I've ALWAYS carried a water filter on my long distance hikes, and I can't see anything, or anyone persuading me otherwise.

ShakeyLeggs
05-03-2007, 13:26
That said, I almost never carry a hydration bladder because I don't find them to be any more convenient than a 1 liter soda bottle when you factor having to remove your pack to refill them. If you're hanging the bladder in an internal sleeve in your pack, its even more of a chore.

I never remove my Camelbak from my pack on trips. I have an addapter that hooks right up to my filter.

Green Bean
05-03-2007, 14:03
I started out with a platypus then just gradually started liking the camel back.

rswanson
05-03-2007, 15:06
I never remove my Camelbak from my pack on trips. I have an addapter that hooks right up to my filter.
Ah, I use Aqua Mira. For me, its all about simplicity. Your set up looks pretty swank for filter users, tho...

Footslogger
05-03-2007, 15:21
I started out with a platypus then just gradually started liking the camel back.

===================================

I should chime in here and add that while I do carry the Platypus bladder I adapted the Camelback mouthpiece and valve. Don't like the Platy bite valve and to my knowledge they (Platypus) does not have a on/off valve, at least as easy to use as the Camelback one.

'Slogger

Moonshine
05-03-2007, 16:33
Don't like the Platy bite valve and to my knowledge they (Platypus) does not have a on/off valve, at least as easy to use as the Camelback one.

Platypus does make an on/off valve but they are harder to find than the Camlelback.

fiddlehead
05-03-2007, 22:02
Leaks, leaks, leaks, i've seen people carrying these things and can't understand why. Especially don't trust them when they freeze. My friends got their clothes wet at 17,000' in the Himalayas and threw the damn things away afterward.
keep it simple

RockDoc
05-03-2007, 22:48
Interesting info! Thank you for sharing!

Trying to get my Maine AT kit together for June-July.
Actually it was a Seattle REI salesperson who warned me about the potential problems with Platys, like cracking.

I'm pretty hard on stuff. Must be all the rocks I collect in my pack.

Might have to stick with lexan wide mouth, or at least more durable bladders. Also you can pour boiling water into a lexan flask, and make coffee:D a huge consideration (for us Seattlites).

Although I do admire those who can make delicate things last and work for them, while thru-hiking.
I always end up destroying anything that's not pretty darn strong.

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-04-2007, 00:52
Different things work for different people. The best piece of advice I can give you is to try & have some spare cash allocated in your budget for changing out gear once you are on the trail. You will soon learn what works best for your hiking style & it's nice to be able to replace gear if your initial choice is not working for you.
I don't think I saw one thru-hiker who finished the trail with exactly the same gear they started with !

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Appalachian Tater
05-04-2007, 01:00
My 1.8 went GAME without problems. Looking at it today in preparation for a trip, I realized it has a tiny crack in the outer layer. I ordered a new one and will use the old one instead of a 1 liter bottle to mix lemonade--it may be lighter and it's flat when empty.

But I ordered new MSR bite valve. Platypus bite valves leak in my experience.

Miner
05-04-2007, 14:48
Even if one fails, you can always replace it. While it might seem expensive with the tube, if you have to replace one, you don't need a new tube and those tubes work with any of their bottles/resevoirs.