PDA

View Full Version : duffel bag shuffler

scope
05-03-2007, 22:24
Was out this past weekend on a section from Dicks Creek to Hogpen Gap, and came across a guy south of Chattahoochee Gap who was shuffling his rather large, and obviously heavy duffel bags down the trail in what seemed to be quarter mile increments. Anybody else see this guy? Frankly, he kind of spooked me because I thought it was SO insane!

As I'm coming up the trail, I see this pack lying on the ground and as I get closer I see this guy holding a moderate size duffel back with two hands coming down the trail. He starts to explain, "Gotta have my books!" as if I had asked him, which I might have non-verbally. He puts down his duffel at his pack and proceeds to walk with me Sobo for another quarter mile until I see another duffel pack of books and Coleman propane canisters. We exchanged small talk, but not enough to figure any reason for his insanity, and then he proceeds to go his Nobo way with his heavy duffel bag, presumably to take it another quarter mile to his pack and continue this ludicrous shuffle. I wasn't interested in sticking around, frankly. The guy seemed OK otherwise, but I couldn't help thinking this method of hiking was totally wacko!

Just wondering if anyone came across this guy and found out anything about what his story was?

aaroniguana
05-03-2007, 22:45
There's another thread about this guy, he's allegedly been setting fires on the trail and other erratic stuff.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2007, 23:04
Was out this past weekend on a section from Dicks Creek to Hogpen Gap, and came across a guy south of Chattahoochee Gap who was shuffling his rather large, and obviously heavy duffel bags down the trail in what seemed to be quarter mile increments. Anybody else see this guy? Frankly, he kind of spooked me because I thought it was SO insane!

As I'm coming up the trail, I see this pack lying on the ground and as I get closer I see this guy holding a moderate size duffel back with two hands coming down the trail. He starts to explain, "Gotta have my books!" as if I had asked him, which I might have non-verbally. He puts down his duffel at his pack and proceeds to walk with me Sobo for another quarter mile until I see another duffel pack of books and Coleman propane canisters. We exchanged small talk, but not enough to figure any reason for his insanity, and then he proceeds to go his Nobo way with his heavy duffel bag, presumably to take it another quarter mile to his pack and continue this ludicrous shuffle. I wasn't interested in sticking around, frankly. The guy seemed OK otherwise, but I couldn't help thinking this method of hiking was totally wacko!

Just wondering if anyone came across this guy and found out anything about what his story was?

so what? keep walkin'.

SGT Rock
05-03-2007, 23:12
But watch your back LOL.

Rufous Sided Towhee
05-03-2007, 23:27
There's another thread about this guy, he's allegedly been setting fires on the trail and other erratic stuff.
Could you post a link to the other thread? Thanks.

ShakeyLeggs
05-03-2007, 23:31
Could you post a link to the other thread? Thanks.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24184

scope
05-04-2007, 09:38
so what? keep walkin'.

I did. This was the only time I was remotely concerned on the trail just because it seemed like something must not be right with this guy, plus it was later in the afternoon and I was looking to set down for camp. He was a good half a mile or more (nobo) from a decent spot to camp which at the rate he was going, he'd be lucky to make before 9pm nightfall. I just knew I didn't want to find what else might be in those duffel bags.

berninbush
05-04-2007, 13:28
So if he makes it all the way, does this count as doing three thru-hikes simultaneously?

jaiden
05-04-2007, 13:44
So if he makes it all the way, does this count as doing three thru-hikes simultaneously?

And do the bodies he's carrying get credit for the trek?

Bilko
05-04-2007, 14:14
Why, this may not be all bad.
Maybe the guy's a librarian.
Thoreau carried books when he went hiking.
Maybe there's going to be a big Shelter Sell up the trail.
Gatlinburg could use a little culture.
Don't pre-judge the guy.
The first Triple Double Yoyo Hike on record.
Maybe he is burning the books at night?
HYOH.

scope
05-04-2007, 14:46
Why, this may not be all bad.
Maybe the guy's a librarian.
Thoreau carried books when he went hiking.
Maybe there's going to be a big Shelter Sell up the trail.
Gatlinburg could use a little culture.
Don't pre-judge the guy.
The first Triple Double Yoyo Hike on record.
Maybe he is burning the books at night?
HYOH.

HYOH and TYOT (think your own thoughts). As for me, I'm definitely pre-judging the guy. When is he going to read the books, with all the shuffling he's doing? For that matter, I'm not even sure it was books in the duffel bags, but they were obviously heavy. Body parts? :eek:

I'm quite sure that these 'books' will end up being fire fodder at some point.

STEVEM
05-04-2007, 14:57
Is this the guy?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0118541/Ss/0118541/1-1.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0118541

jaiden
05-04-2007, 16:06
Is this the guy?

Or the 6 minute abs guy?
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/something-about-mary-hitchhiker.jpg

max patch
05-04-2007, 16:15
This is the guy:

http://www.fastdecals.com/graphics/peeon_calvin1_t.jpg

spittinpigeon
05-04-2007, 16:55
so what? keep walkin'.

He wrote a post, so what? Keep reading.

STEVEM
05-04-2007, 17:08
This is the guy:

http://www.fastdecals.com/graphics/peeon_calvin1_t.jpg

Nope, Thats the guy who soiled the chair at the Damascus Public Library.

max patch
05-04-2007, 21:33
Nope, Thats the guy who soiled the chair at the Damascus Public Library.

Maybe its the same guy...isn't he shuffling books in those duffle bags?