PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poke modifications

Nest
05-04-2007, 01:01
One of my knees tend to act up when I backpack, but only going downhill. Although I am not a big trekking pole fan, I will carry one for going downhills. No point in having to leave the trail for something preventable. Since I don't want to use it very much, weight and compactability are an issue. I am looking at REIs Peak UL arbon trekking pole http://www.rei.com/product/749458. It says that there is a red line telling you when to stop extending the pole. This tells me that I could probably disassemble the entire pole. Would it be possible to pull out the sections and cut them down so that when extended they are the perfect height for me, but there isn't any excess pole inside the shaft that I would never use? I could probably cut down an ounce or two this way, and probably make it collapse a lot more than originally. Anyone attempted this, or have these poles and can confirm that it can be done? Also, I wouldn't be opposed to using Leki poles if anyone can tell me about taking them apart. Thanks.

Mooselook Marty
05-04-2007, 09:09
Before going to that trouble, perhaps you you should buy the shorter version of the same pole. Here is the link: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=48176412&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&&ext_cat=undefined

Regards,
Mooselook Marty

Rambler
05-04-2007, 10:52
The poles can easily be taken apart which makes cleaning or drying them off easier. If they are not the srping loaded model, they are a hollow tube that can be cut with a hack saw. However, the poles are tapered and they do have a plastic fitting that needs a certain diameter, so you would have to be sure that it would fit. Cutting them this way might void the lifetime guarantee. Leki does honor that, and will replace a broken pole promptly. I would follow Mooselook Marty's suggestion before you get out the saw. Another option would be to look for lightweight fiber poles that are sold at fixed lengths. For example, check out poles at Gossamer Gear. (one pole, 120cm, weighs 3 ounces)

Touch of Grey
05-04-2007, 11:21
Go to a Wally World and buy one of the poles they have for 5-10 dollars each. This way if you mess it up cutting it or otherwise you are not out the price of the Leki's I would not even touch a Leki for a mod since they have a lifetime guarantee on the aluminum poles. Carbon fiber poles can be cut but you take a chance that they will fail due to weakening the original construction. REI poles in general are Klomperdell poles and while they do not have the same warranry that Leki has REI's guarantees are usually pretty good.

All of that said, mod at your own risk but remember that you void the guarantee/warranty when you modify them. Not that you did not already know that.

Oh and if youo are only using them for down-hills avoid the spring loaded ones as the spring-loading is really only helpful on the up-hills. IMO

Have fun eanyway you go about it!

TOG

Rambler
05-04-2007, 13:28
For around $14 you can buy a pair of ski poles, remove the grips and cut them to any length you want.

aaroniguana
05-04-2007, 19:21
For nothing you can get two pieces of slightly green bamboo and cut them to length. Duct tape grips and wrist straps optional.

Nest
05-04-2007, 22:19
I will try the wally world poles to test out first. I want a collapsable pole so that I can strap it to my pack and it isn't catching on things or in the way. I figure if you can just extend the pole halfway, and it will still lock at that setting, then it shouldn't hurt to cut off the excess that is just sitting around in the shaft. I'll also check out the shorter version, thanks for the link. Thanks for the hlep. I let everyone know if it works in case someone else has wanted to try this.

Moon Monster
05-05-2007, 15:03
Make sure everything in your pack is symmetrical. Just a slight imbalance in the way you stuff things in can be enough to bother a knee over tens of thousands of steps if you always put things in the same way.

Nest
05-05-2007, 20:09
Make sure everything in your pack is symmetrical. Just a slight imbalance in the way you stuff things in can be enough to bother a knee over tens of thousands of steps if you always put things in the same way.

A simple idea that I overlooked, thanks.

I went and boungt a pair of REI carbon fiber poles. The locking mechenism is on the top of each shaft, so they cannot be cut down. On the plus side they only weigh 6.25 oz a piece. Maybe a cheaper pair where the locking mechenism is the collar on the bottom of the shafts then it would work. Kind of like a camera tripod I guess.