PDA

View Full Version : HenHike 2008

Smile
05-04-2007, 06:31
Here's a link for a group hike for 2008 for those who are interested!

HenHike.com (http://henhike.com)

Gray Blazer
05-04-2007, 10:36
Proof of being a woman required. That leaves me out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-04-2007, 12:24
:eek:... just how does one go about proving she is a woman?

Seriously, glad to see henhike become a reality. It has been needed for a long time.

Gray Blazer
05-04-2007, 12:25
:eek:... just how does one go about proving she is a woman?
Shopping??

Smile
05-04-2007, 12:37
They do that on the Yahoo Women's Hiking Group too, I believe. Someone refers you or something, for security sake. :)

Glad that WB has a forum for us girls, it's been a nice addition!

Dancer
05-06-2007, 21:58
Proof of being a woman required. That leaves me out.

I think that is probably why they put it on the Female Hiking Forum ;)

Julie

Smile
05-13-2007, 09:55
a handful of us are on board right now, looks like it's going to be a fun year of planning. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2007, 10:02
Are there any henhikes planned for the area about 50 miles north or south of GSMNP? I would like to meet up with y'all though I likely hike too slow to be part of the hiking group.

Gaiter
05-13-2007, 10:42
Shopping??

that doesn't prove that one is a woman...

Smile
05-13-2007, 12:56
You got that right - some of us like to shop only at outfitters, not the mall :)

Red Hat
05-22-2007, 20:46
Smile, I looked for you at Traildays, but somehow missed you. Sorry, but I missed a lot of other folks too.

Smile
05-24-2007, 21:57
Yes, missed you too! I was along the creek the first site after the WB HH area, will talk to you online ;)
It was a great weekend, looking forward to TrailDays next year....really liked checking out the new gear firsthand!

Roots
11-20-2007, 17:09
Here's a link for a group hike for 2008 for those who are interested!

HenHike.com (http://henhike.com)

Just curious when you guys are planning to hike-start date? I can't thru at this point and time, but am seriously considering doing a week or so if I could find some great ladies to go with-you gals sound fun!:)

Smile
11-20-2007, 17:14
Hi Roots, check your PM's, I sent you info for the group! :)

jamarshall
11-20-2007, 21:08
So where are you guys off to next year? I've been section hiking the past 6 years and am planning to do as much as I can of CT/MA this spring. Seems like last year everything was in the south, and I keep getting further north...

girlnextdoor
01-22-2008, 22:34
so what's this all about? has it already happened for 08? where's it gonna be?
i want to go!

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2008, 08:57
so what's this all about? has it already happened for 08? where's it gonna be?
i want to go!

I sent Hen Hike an email asking all of the wheres and whens. I would LOVE to do this! But I also live hours away from any access to the AT so I would need plenty of advance notice to plan on joining in. We had our reasons for moving but I deeply regret leaving central Maryland and the easy access I had to the AT there. :(

girlnextdoor
01-23-2008, 11:34
wow you're in aiken!! my brother's family lives in edgefield!
i'll let you know if i hear back anything!

Red Hat
01-23-2008, 12:11
For those interested, contact Smile via email or pm. The group is planning on leaving April 1st from Springer and hiking very slowly at first, since some are not experienced. You can do as much or as little with them as you like. They are a nice group of ladies. I just decided to do a SOBO instead.

tazie
01-23-2008, 12:20
But I also live hours away from any access to the AT so I would need plenty of advance notice to plan on joining in. We had our reasons for moving but I deeply regret leaving central Maryland and the easy access I had to the AT there. :(

:)No sad face Mrs Baggins...I'm hiking lots of the trail here in memory of you...finally made it to Annapolis Rocks, kind of a let-down though, I think Weverton Cliffs and Harpers Ferry is a much better view. And the ice cream at HF is sooo good!

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2008, 12:55
:)No sad face Mrs Baggins...I'm hiking lots of the trail here in memory of you...finally made it to Annapolis Rocks, kind of a let-down though, I think Weverton Cliffs and Harpers Ferry is a much better view. And the ice cream at HF is sooo good!

There is no teary-eyed "smiley" face or it would be here. Miss you very much and oh what fun we had hiking to HF that day from Keys Gap! Ice cream on the lawn in the shade down the hill from the outfitters. Or when we did the Maryland Heights trail!

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2008, 12:57
For those interested, contact Smile via email or pm. The group is planning on leaving April 1st from Springer and hiking very slowly at first, since some are not experienced. You can do as much or as little with them as you like. They are a nice group of ladies. I just decided to do a SOBO instead.

I'll be back on the AT around April 4th or 5th, starting at Dick's Creek Gap where I had to leave off last March. No desire to start over at Springer Mt - did those mountains, they count, don't need to do them again!:D

Bluebelle
01-24-2008, 09:37
Great....nice to see so many women will be out on the AT this year. I am looking forward to having a great time and hope to meet many of you. Mrs. Baggins just sent me the link to the Hen Hike. I hope to get more info soon! My plan was to get on the trail a little earlier but....hmmmm...I may need to wait a few days and meet this group! Sounds like great fun!
Bluebelle

shoe
01-24-2008, 20:26
I meeting up with the Hens at Wayah Bald, well actually I'll probably start with them at Winding Stair. I am with Baggins, I don't need to do the previous miles over again.

Kara
01-24-2008, 22:34
Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with me Smile! I'll do some serious considering and a little planning and see if it's possible that I can join in on your fun! So far I only have a few backpacking experiences behind me (local backpacking trail in my hometown in Ohio, a couple of trips to Red River Gorge in Kentucky, and once up Mount LeConte). I have yet actually to step foot on the AT, so we'll just have to see how it all turns out...thanks again!

Hooch
01-24-2008, 22:55
........So far I only have a few backpacking experiences behind me.......a couple of trips to Red River Gorge in Kentucky.......Not to hijack the thred form any of the ladies, but I've done a 3 trips out to Red River Gorge this yer, alond with a few day hikes there. Beautiful place! We now return you to your regular thread already in progress. :D

Gitter bug
01-27-2008, 16:29
How big of a group is planning to go in April? I haven't been able to go at all yet, but would like to get started with at least a section in the beginning.

Smile
01-27-2008, 17:55
PM me and I can give you some more details :)

RockStar
03-22-2008, 19:55
I'm a moron and lost my account info for the Henhike Forum! And everytime I try to do the "forgot password" thing it says I used an invalid validation code...SOOO if someone would pm me with the Itenerary for the first 2 weeks (I realize it is just a suggestion and loose plan) as I will be starting at Dicks Creek gap. I have done all the way to Bly Gap but, the pavement meets the trail at DCG. lol :) I'm excited! *crossing my fingers nothing major comes up before the 7th!

Red Hat
03-23-2008, 11:00
Just a note to the Henhike ladies to say best wishes on a great hike! I am anxious to leave soon, but must wait for late June till I can start my SOBO on July 1st. I'll be seeing you out there. Enjoy!

Christopher Robin
05-09-2008, 10:11
I'm stating SOBO the end of June so see you on the AT God Spead.

Lilred
05-09-2008, 18:13
Good luck and have a great hike!!

Sidewinder
08-25-2008, 11:50
Does anyone know where the hen hike group is today, did they make it, are they still on the trail, will there be a Hen Hike 09?

SASSA-FRAS
08-25-2008, 13:55
This sounds interesting, I assume the hike is still underway, but as Sidewinder asked will there be a Hen Hike 09? I would be very interested in finding out more on a future hike with this group.

Smile- it sounds like you are heading up the group, when you get a chance will you PM me with hike info, future hike dates, what's required to become a member?

ZEKE #2
08-25-2008, 16:54
Everyone from the Hen Hike 08 is off the trail. Started with 5, went down to 3 at the 4th day. Lost another before the Smokies. One got off at Fontana as she planned to, and I made it 700 miles and got off due to severe shin splints.

The Hen Hike was done after the 4th day.

Roots
08-25-2008, 17:54
The Hen Hike was done after the 4th day.

YEP!!!! We became the Hiker Chicks--Zeke and I, that is!!

SASSA-FRAS
08-25-2008, 18:24
Hello Zeke #2, congratulations on making it 700 miles and I hope your shin splints have healed.

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, I'm just trying to understand what happened. You say five started and by day four you were down to three, one got off as planned at Fontana and another before the Smokies. Did all of them get off due to injury except for the one who planned to get off at Fontana? If you're not comfortable discussing online please PM me.

I understand there are endless reasons for ones decision to get off the trail. I'm just trying to understand what happened or went wrong maybe wrong isn't the right word.

I tried getting info at HenHike.com, it's isn't working. Maybe Smile will PM me soon.

Hi Roots- so you got in on the hike too, I think that's great.

I'm wondering if there is any interest in an all women's hiking group in the north GA, western SC, NC, east TN areas. I'm working with a local outfitter with the idea of starting such a group, organized trips, weekends, 1-week, 2-week, possibly longer distances if a strong enough interest arises. The idea is to open the door to a trail for women who may not be comfortable to step out on a trail alone.

Lucinda
08-25-2008, 18:48
I'd be interested and I know other women, especially newbies, who might be interested as well.

Red Hat
08-25-2008, 20:09
Several former henhike prospects decided to go on their own when we had doubts about the group leader who seemed not to know what was involved in a thruhike. I started a SOBO on July 1st, but got off after a very hard time in Maine. Mokay (Jeanette) did better and I think is still headed southbound.

Red Hat
08-25-2008, 20:11
I'm wondering if there is any interest in an all women's hiking group in the north GA, western SC, NC, east TN areas. I'm working with a local outfitter with the idea of starting such a group, organized trips, weekends, 1-week, 2-week, possibly longer distances if a strong enough interest arises. The idea is to open the door to a trail for women who may not be comfortable to step out on a trail alone. I think there is a group already, the Trail Dames. Anna "MudButt" is in charge. Not sure how to contact her, but someone knows...

Lucinda
08-25-2008, 20:14
I think there is a group already, the Trail Dames. Anna "MudButt" is in charge. Not sure how to contact her, but someone knows...

I'd be hoping for something a little more challenging with higher mileage -- more backpacking than day hiking.

Roots
08-25-2008, 20:37
Sassa-fras--your ideas for a hiking group of women sound awful familiar. :-?

*I hiked Springer to Newfound Gap as planned.
*Zeke was doing a thru attempt but unfortunately got SEVERE shin splits.
*One planned to hike to Neels Gap.
*One was going to hike to Damascus and got off the trail(don't know why and really don't care)before Fontana.
*The group "leader" got off the trail at Woody gap. Something about at home business that couldn't be handled by anyone else but her. Don't know.

Very much a lot of trail drama. 99% of it was not needed. BUT I made a great friend, Zeke, from the whole thing and it was worth it. Not to mention the other friends I made from it also. Plus I would have never stepped out on the trail for a long section without the Hen Hike. My husband and I section hike. This was the first time I had hiked without him. My hike was great and I can't wait to do it again.

My suggestion and advice to you is to forgo a 'group' if you do not care for drama. It happens in any situation, but it can really put a damper on a dream hike like the AT is for many. Plus the group was originally around 20 something and ended up being 5.

Good luck and happy hiking!

Hammock Hanger
08-25-2008, 20:41
Thus I am a SOLO hiker most times. I always seem to hike my very best alone. Sometimes I hike with one other person but have found for each added person the trip dynamics change... I'll stay solo.

I don't mind group hiking when it is a plan short trip but not more then a week to 10 days.

SASSA-FRAS
08-25-2008, 21:29
Roots, I understand and know all too well about drama, I've lead small groups before. Drama is best left at home, come to the trail with an open mind and return home with a clear head. I am glad to hear you found a great friend in Zeke and sounds like the two of you made the best of a bad situation.

Hammock Hanger- I too hike solo and enjoy everyday of it. Leading groups is something I do with outfitters in order to support my hiking habit.

cookie44
08-25-2008, 21:46
Hi I would like to found out about the group thank you

SASSA-FRAS
08-25-2008, 21:59
Cookie44- I found these two sites both are trail dames is that the group you're interested in finding?

http://traildames.com/

http://hiking.meetup.com/537/

Dancer
08-26-2008, 11:52
Hello Zeke #2, congratulations on making it 700 miles and I hope your shin splints have healed.

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, I'm just trying to understand what happened. You say five started and by day four you were down to three, one got off as planned at Fontana and another before the Smokies. Did all of them get off due to injury except for the one who planned to get off at Fontana? If you're not comfortable discussing online please PM me.

I understand there are endless reasons for ones decision to get off the trail. I'm just trying to understand what happened or went wrong maybe wrong isn't the right word.

I tried getting info at HenHike.com, it's isn't working. Maybe Smile will PM me soon.

Hi Roots- so you got in on the hike too, I think that's great.

I'm wondering if there is any interest in an all women's hiking group in the north GA, western SC, NC, east TN areas. I'm working with a local outfitter with the idea of starting such a group, organized trips, weekends, 1-week, 2-week, possibly longer distances if a strong enough interest arises. The idea is to open the door to a trail for women who may not be comfortable to step out on a trail alone.

Has it crossed your mind that these ladies may not want their reasons for getting off the trail to be public?? Thruhiking is a deeply personal thing, as are reasons for getting off the trail. Maybe we should just say "YOU GO!!" to them all for making an effort and gettting out there and leave it at that.

cowboy nichols
08-26-2008, 12:07
I agree with HH I hike solo because it is simplly easier. Every time Ive tried to go with someone it hasn't been successful. One person may want to stop at one place the other prefers to hike on. One may hike fast the other likes to smell the roses. My family is pushing me to hike with someone because of my age and because they don't think a woman should be out there alone. I've survived more years and miles than I can remember so I'll keep on soloing for long distances and stay happy. HYOH

Sidewinder
08-26-2008, 15:24
I wasn't pressuring anyone into saying anything they were not comfortable with saying. I have no desire to pry into anyones personal reasons for getting off the trail. I just asked a question and truly expected reasons like injury, foul weather, illness, never expected to hear there were doubts in the group leader.

As far as saying "YOU GO" did I not congratulate Zeke #2 and tell Roots that's great? So yes, YOU GO AND GO OFTEN.

I think it's time we all move on to a new thread, this one is old and obviously bringing it to life and asking question was like rubbing salt into old wounds. Sorry.

Sidewinder
08-26-2008, 15:35
I wasn't pressuring anyone into saying anything they were not comfortable with saying. I have no desire to pry into anyones personal reasons for getting off the trail. I just asked a question and truly expected reasons like injury, foul weather, illness, never expected to hear there were doubts in the group leader. As far as saying "YOU GO" did I not congratulate Zeke #2 and tell Roots that's great? So yes, YOU GO AND GO OFTEN. I think it's time we all move on to a new thread, this one is old and obviously bringing it to life and asking question was like rubbing salt into old wounds. Sorry.

:datz My apologies to Sassafras and others on the forum. Sassafras and I have been emailing this afternoon, lots of copy and pasting of our notes to each other.

By mistake I pasted something Sassafras wrote, again my apologies. :datz

SASSA-FRAS
08-26-2008, 15:45
:-? Well I was going to say those words look very familiar. No harm done, I was going to post it myself, you just saved me from having to.

jlou
09-18-2008, 19:30
I too am interested in the final outcome of the HenHike 2008. I had hoped to join them, but my dog didn't qualify as a member :) . I am very interested in Hen Hike 2009 if there is one. I'd like to join them in Damascus and finish at Katahdin. Thanks!

Roots
09-18-2008, 20:13
I too am interested in the final outcome of the HenHike 2008. I had hoped to join them, but my dog didn't qualify as a member :) . I am very interested in Hen Hike 2009 if there is one. I'd like to join them in Damascus and finish at Katahdin. Thanks!

Hi jlou! In post #42 I think I summed up the '08 Hen Hike. There more than likely will not be a Hen Hike '09.

Anghiker
09-19-2008, 13:24
I thought the henhike had vanished.
Are they planning to try again in 2009?

shoe
09-19-2008, 23:50
I am pretty sure the Henhike is no more, unless someone like Roots tries to form another one. I think she would perfect with her positive attitude and all that :)

Christopher Robin
10-02-2008, 13:32
I'am in the planning stage for a flip-flop thru-hike starting at Spinger some time the beging of April 09. Anyone can join me along the way. I hike solo most of the times and hike shealter to shealter or but 8-10 miles a day.

ZEKE #2
10-03-2008, 17:27
It's taken me awhile to be able to find the ability to address this topic. After my experience with the HenHike08, I was determined to come and post a "buyer beware" article to warn hikers of the hazards of joining an Internet group intending to hike the AT.

The months off the trail have hopfully softened the voice I take, not to discourage those contemplating joining a group, but to give them cause to be prepared.

Communication via the written word is a tricky feat to begin with. And to introduce yourself to others that you plan on spending 2000 miles with, let alone establish a game-plan and become a cohesive group is a monumental task. Before we even started, there were ladies in the group that were misunderstanding the written word of others and becoming intense.

It was evident to me that we didn't have a center point or a "ring leader" per sea. There were those of us that needed to plan mail drops, but had no hiking schedule. Everything seemed very general and we just didn't work. Actually, when we all met in Georgia, one day before the start of my dream 30 years in the making, I discovered that not one person in the group intended on hiking to Maine!

I did have the oppportunity to be part of and meet many groups on the trail. Ninety-nine percent of them were formed on the trail. I met one group going south that had met on the Internet and were still in tact and having a blast.

My advise, be it as it may, is to be prepared to "hike your own hike". My family benefited from my starting out with a group. The safety factor was an issue with them; but I was always prepared to do it on my own. I am richer from being in that group, in that I made two wonderful friendships. But the group proved to give me some hard feelings when one of the members appeared to "dislike" me intensely. It was difficult walking with a person that was rude verbably. But that ended after the Smokies when she went home.

The group gave the opportunity for some of the members to hike the trail, when they would not have had they not been in the group.

So, I'm not in favor of groups, nor am I against them. Just don't let the failings of a group cause you to end up on the trail alone when you don't want to be, or on the trail unprepared.

Roots
10-03-2008, 17:47
Very well said, Zeke #2!!! I look at it the same as you. I made a great friend through the trip and probably would have never done the trip if it weren't for the 'thought' of a woman hiking group. I have to be happy for that. It taught me much that I will always be thankful for. :)

Lellers
10-03-2008, 22:25
I contemplated joining HH back in January. I'm really sorry that it didn't work out. But, Zeke #2 and Roots, it seems that you gained something from the experience, and I appreciate your passing it along in your posts.

shoe
10-03-2008, 23:09
I

It was evident to me that we didn't have a center point or a "ring leader" per sea. There were those of us that needed to plan mail drops, but had no hiking schedule. Everything seemed very general and we just didn't work. Actually, when we all met in Georgia, one day before the start of my dream 30 years in the making, I discovered that not one person in the group intended on hiking to Maine!

I remember hanging out with you guys at the hostel the evening before you left. I also remember the look on your face when the "group organizer" said she was only going for 6 weeks. I felt really bad for you at that time but you know what....

YOU DID AWESOME

Are you planning on heading back out and finishing the rest?

Trillium
10-03-2008, 23:34
I was another of the Hen Hikers. I had originally intended to thruhike since my boss had stated in March 2007 that an early out retirement plan was being worked on that I would likely qualify for at the end of the year. When the plan came out last December, I did not qualify. So, I modified my plan to just take a week's vacation and start out w/ the group. I had planned to hike to Neel's Gap but due to circumstances (starting on a Tuesday, rather than a Monday and the weather--3 straight days of rain (which would have been ok if I was thru-hiking but since it was more of a vacation and it wasn't fun anymore), I got off at Woody Gap.

Even though there was drama as Zeke and Roots have said, I am very grateful to Smile for organizing the HenHike. It was my first backpacking experience and I learned a lot (definitely learned to shake down my pack and the person who helped me the most with that was shoe, THANKS shoe!). I had a LOT of FUN and I met a LOT of GREAT people at the 3 shelters we stayed/camped at and also at the Hiker Hostel.

If it hadn't been for the HenHike, I wouldn't have gone to SoRuck in January and I would have missed out on meeting a ton of GREAT people! Nor would I have met some thru-hikers at Newfound Gap on my way home from the HenHike that I gave a ride to Gatlinburg and then picked up in Parisburg and gave a ride to Trail Days. (of course, this also means that one of said thru-hikers wouldn't have left his passport in my car which wasn't discovered until several weeks later; eek) Then I wouldn't have met all the great hikers and WB Admin at Trail Days or been able to spend time with several HenHikers at Trail Days which was definitely a highlight. As Tacoma Ted's song goes 'the people are the trail'!

Also, I wouldn't have had the experience or courage to do another small section in Massachusetts by myself in July.

I'm looking forward to hiking Georgia for another week next April and then Vermont in August!

So, if you do get a group together, just keep in mind that the group might not be together for a long duration due to any number of reasons (some like to sleep in late, others like an early start; differing hiking rates; different ideas about daily hiking mileage; differing ideas about frequency or length of rest breaks; etc). But there likely will be some good that comes out of it; how can there not, you're out getting some great exercise in our beautiful natural world. Just don't let the turkeys get you down. :)

Smile
10-04-2008, 15:05
There more than likely will not be a Hen Hike '09.

Actually, there is another group forming, and this time we are planning a meeting ahead of time to get to know one another. There is always some amount of drama between strangers, but what a bore would life be if we weren't all different and have diverse positive things to offer one another!

This idea of the Henhike was always to give ladies a 'leg up' in getting out there, especially last year after the very sad Meredith Emerson situation- there was a comfort in numbers, and any one in the group was welcome to head out on their own at any time :)

I had a great time, and yes, as numerous hikers do for many, many different reasons, had to end my trip early - no problem, it was always a hike your own hike from the beginning. Everybody knows this is the case on any hike - the HenHike was a non-supported hike, so no need to hang out if you don't like the company. I was the organizer, and never intended to babysit or "lead" these capable women - they had what it took when they got out there in the first place!

I am glad to hear that several of you made great friends, and sounds like I missed the drama that many of you experienced - I am sure that much positivity was gained for each woman in her own way.

I am very proud of each woman who participated - as mentioned 5 left out of twenty - but that was to be expected - thousands say they'll hike every year, and look how many actually get out of the car and put their feet down on the AT - KUDOS to these wonderful gals who came along, and from 'where I was hiking' the first week - we all generally got along very well. The hilarious photos prove it ladies - and the side splitting laughter we shared was a ton of fun - so many hilarious situations - you are all appreciated! It was terrific to meet up with the Trail Dames at MC - what an encouragement (and food!), and I hope that you will all continue to hike and support new women hikers and each other.

It was a wonderful thing, and I wish I could have stayed on trail longer that particular outing. I was always willing to organize, but never considered myself a guide or leader - just got things laid out to make it easy for the first few weeks - how wonderful that some of you went on to do so many more miles!

For those who want to get out there and do it again in 2009 - it will be happening! Send me a PM and I'll be in touch, the website will be available shortly. It's a great way to get your first two weeks jump started, and I know that I will never stop learning from other hikers, no matter how many miles I roam. :)

Hugs to Roots, Trillium, Zeke TF, and LittleFeet, I hope you are all doing well! I am blessed that I got to hike with each of you :banana

shoe
10-04-2008, 23:45
smile - You made yourself out as the leader of this group. You were the organizer of this group. Several people opted not to join this group because you were secretive with details and not being open. People asked questions of you and you never answered. No one ever really got an answer about how the "documentary" was going to work. In fact no one knew until the night at the hostel that there wasn't going to be the film crew or whatever along. You told no one of your plans to only hike 6 weeks. You were supposed to at least try to get to Maine. Of course people realized that it might not happen because that's how hikes go. But still, you weren't open about your plans.
I hope you are going to be more open about things when you try and start this new group and of course I wish you the best.

(I know I may get flamed but I had to get it off my chest. In case anyone cares I am one of the ones that opted not to join the group because of some of the issues mentioned above)

Roots
10-05-2008, 13:04
smile - You made yourself out as the leader of this group. You were the organizer of this group. Several people opted not to join this group because you were secretive with details and not being open. People asked questions of you and you never answered. No one ever really got an answer about how the "documentary" was going to work. In fact no one knew until the night at the hostel that there wasn't going to be the film crew or whatever along. You told no one of your plans to only hike 6 weeks. You were supposed to at least try to get to Maine. Of course people realized that it might not happen because that's how hikes go. But still, you weren't open about your plans.
I hope you are going to be more open about things when you try and start this new group and of course I wish you the best.

(I know I may get flamed but I had to get it off my chest. In case anyone cares I am one of the ones that opted not to join the group because of some of the issues mentioned above)

I could not agree with you more, SHOE!!!

As I have stated many times before I am grateful to have participated in the Hen Hike for everything, good or bad, that I learned. I met many people and made friends along the way. Smile, you VERY much so were the "leader" of the group. Most of the women with us did not have much experience in backpacking. They did, in some ways, depend on you for leadership especially considering it was a whole new world to learn out there. You planned, built a website, set up tenative scheduling, made reservations at Josh and Leighs, made reservations at Holiday Inn in Dahlonega and Hiawassee, made reservations in Suches, etc. So, YES, you were the leader of the Hen Hike.

Ending your hike so early was not expected by those of us with you. I know things can happen that are unforseen on the trail, I learned that well. BUT you have to understand that your departure DID throw us off. IT DID make for 'drama' on the trail for us. We dealt with it. I know, as you stated, you never intended to babysit or lead us, but at times that is exactly how it felt. Therefore when you left the trail, it was a shocker to many. I do appreciate your vote of confidence in our capabilities. Obviously you were right about that.

Yes, we did have some fun times at camp at night. I'll never forget the 'washing of the mug' and several other fun memories. Like I said I am thankful for that.

There were some issues after you left the trail that you had nothing to do with. They were uncalled for and I wish had never happened and really don't know why they did. Rudeness is not something I take kind to. I really want that person to know that.

I do wish you luck with planning another hike. Hopefully you'll have a great experience. Just a bit of advice would be to make sure the women know what to carry and not carry. Be a little more advising to them. You should know that this can make or break a trip. Be up front with them and let them know your intentions. Be honest about how you feel about the hike so they will be honest with you.

I hate it took 6 months for a response but better than none at all.

Good luck!

Mrs Baggins
10-05-2008, 15:38

I agree as well. "Diverse" views were not welcome. I was castigated a couple of times for my views, for asking absolutely legitimate questions and voicing legitimate concerns.

But in the process of it all I was privileged to meet SHOE and hike with her twice for a week at a time. We had a great time and I never would have met her otherwise. :sun

akaGrace
10-06-2008, 17:15
smile - You made yourself out as the leader of this group. You were the organizer of this group. Several people opted not to join this group

Well, hey. I'll go up in flames with you. I joined the group but later decided not to go with the Hen Hikers for the same reasons and at the last minute...and I mean LAST minute received an email that said I had to respond about transportation arrangements if I still wanted to be a part of the group. I'm glad now that I found another partner.

Smile
10-07-2008, 13:43
No problem ladies, I did the best I could and when I (disappointingly) had to get off trail for personal reasons - it seemed that everyone was AOk with each other. Everyone out there, Henhike or not has to hike their own hike.

That was always the rule of thumb for the HenHike, and will be on any trail.

There is nothing I can do about you being upset that my plans didn't turn out the way you wanted them to.

I've gotten several emails from gals interested in the HH09 , and I will be in touch ladies! Remember, it's always your hike, not mine or anyone else's.

On trail or off - If you don't like the company you are with - the choice is yours to walk away :)

PS - Roots, I've emailed you several times, you must not have gotten them?