PDA

View Full Version : Knives

funbun
05-04-2007, 10:32
Do you guys carry a knifes on the trail? What's the purpose of a knife? I want a Mora knife, but I'm not sure what I would use it for on the trail.

Toolshed
05-04-2007, 10:40
Swiss Army knife with corkscrew and magnifying glass. All I ever needed, (besides my .32 Beretta Tomcat :D )

funbun
05-04-2007, 11:07
But what do you use it for?

Rhino-lfl
05-04-2007, 11:24
Knife = everything.

A good blade can save your life. A good blade can do anything.

budforester
05-04-2007, 11:56
I have a Mora from Sportsmansguide; It was cheap. It's lightweight, fits me well, good grip, easy to clean, holds an edge, great for skinning, scaling, peeling spuds. Be careful of the sharp point and edge when spreading your peanut butter. I like it! It usually goes along in my day or weekend pack for hunting and fishing. On a long trail of sightseeing and photography, I carry a pocketknife that is smaller and lighter... the same one that I use around home, work, and carry everywhere else. Take a knife! A knife is handy and could be essential in a survival situation. I view it as a tool, not a weapon, and I use my pocketknife every day for opening packages, cutting strings, whittling kindling, paring hangnails, cooking, and etc. Mine has screwdrivers, scissors, and so forth, but having a cutting edge is the essential part.

Fiddler
05-04-2007, 12:00
By all means carry something with a cutting edge if you are going out over a couple of days. It's in the same category as toilet paper - you might not need it right now, but you probably will before the hike is over.

Marta
05-04-2007, 13:11
Here's a wet-blanket statement--a very, very tiny knife will do just fine for the AT. I carried the smallest Swiss Army Knife. It's about 2" long and has a cutting blade, scissors, flat-head screw driver, tweezers, and toothpick. The toothpick was the most useful part. I used the knife blade, etc. less than five times each on the whole six-month hike.

By all means, carry whatever sort of weapon makes your heart happy, but you don't NEED much.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Rhino-lfl
05-04-2007, 13:28
Must be nice to stay at a hotel each night.

Marta
05-04-2007, 13:38
Must be nice to stay at a hotel each night.

You might have a point. It was much easier to use the scissors to trim the dead skin off my feet in the good lighting of a motel room. When I was camping out, though, or staying in shelters--which was way more often than not--I rarely used my knife.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Mags
05-04-2007, 14:12
Here's a wet-blanket statement--a very, very tiny knife will do just fine for the AT.

FWIW, I used a small swiss army knife on the CDT.

Found it worked fine for me as well (along with a p-38 can opener (http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml)).

Not sure how a knife correlates with hotel stays. I find they prefer credit cards....

Grinder
05-04-2007, 14:20
I have a cheap Mora (Frost 511) from Harry J. Epsein Co. ($11.29 delivered.)

I started outlooking for a neck knife.

I had this "image" of me sallying forth with my neck knife and my magnesium fire starter hanging around my neck.

I couldn't find a neck knife that seemed right, so I got the smallest mora available. I got carbon steel ,because I , oersonally, have a heck of a time getting a stainless blade sharp. And I don't care if it discolors, as long as it cuts.

Since I have yet to hike until later this month, I am not entitled to an opinion of what you need.

mile of smiles
Tom

BigwaveDave
05-04-2007, 14:47
Funbun, I carry two, a swiss army champ which I keep on me at all times and is total overkill and a Bucklite which has a nice 3" drop point blade that will handle any heavier cutting needs that the swiss army can't. I keep it in a pouch attached to my shoulder strap. I also carry a firestarter tool on me.

flyfisher
05-04-2007, 14:59
I carry a non-folding knife in a sheath around my neck.

I use it to cut open packages,
to make hiking sticks,
to split sticks after a rain to make a fire,
to clean my fingernails,
to cut cord for mouse hangers,
to get rid of splinters on shelter floors,
to get spinters out of my fingers.

I have had problems with lightweight folders in splitting sticks.

Seeker
05-04-2007, 15:16
i own/have owned several other models of SAK, but all i really "need" is the tiny micro SAK described earlier ("Classic"). blade is sufficient to cut cordage and jerky. scissors are good for moleskin and nails.

i have taken the tweezers of each one to a grindstone and made points, which has made them more useful than they were before.

when going into previously un-seen areas alone, i sometimes carry a larger sheath knife.

bigcranky
05-04-2007, 21:04
Totally agree with Marta and Seeker. That tiny Swiss Army knife is all I've needed lately. I used to carry a larger folding knife as well, but finally realized that I never used it.

We're not talking about the ends of the Earth here. There are places I'd carry a 'real' knife, but AT hiking isn't one of them. YMMV.

buckowens
05-05-2007, 08:19
A Swiss or Leatherman is a must in my book. One must also always consider that this little guy may need to be used to fend off an attack (human) as well. I like the poles as well... Unlikely, but possible.

Appalachian Tater
05-05-2007, 12:01
A knife is great for cutting slices off a block of cheese or pepperoni. The only reason you would need a blade longer than 1 1/2 or 2 inches is if you whittle or need to use it on living flesh for self-defense. Scissors are much more useful for cutting cord, thread, and paper or opening stubborn food packages. There aren't too many incidents I've heard of where someone on the AT used a knife to defend themselves against anything.

superman
05-05-2007, 13:26
I only carry small cans that have pull tabs (like sardines). Some of the dehydrated food packages need a little encouragement to open.
I carry that little knife with a blade that's about 1.5". I hiked with a guy who carried a tiny pair of scissors. It looked to us like the scissors had more untility. We further speculated that if I was attacked by a bear my knife would not be of much use. He on the other hand speculated that if a bad guy were going to attack him and he whipped out his tiny pair of scissors that the bad guy would fall down laughing which would allow him to escape.

oldfivetango
05-05-2007, 14:23
Funbun, I carry two, a swiss army champ which I keep on me at all times and is total overkill and a Bucklite which has a nice 3" drop point blade that will handle any heavier cutting needs that the swiss army can't. I keep it in a pouch attached to my shoulder strap. I also carry a firestarter tool on me.

I wonder if people actaually start a fire if it is not absolutely
essential;say an emergency situation for example?I have emergency
fire preparedness but would not want to start one unless it was a
real necessity-alcohol stove is TOO easy to use and a hot drink and a
good sleeping bag does the trick better than a campfire IMHO.I wonder
what the consensus is.And I support the "carry a knife" idea.You could
also dig a cathole with the right knife if you want to carry one.
Oldfivetango

chowhound
05-05-2007, 15:50
I always have a knife of some type with me. Usually a swiss army tinker model which I got used to carrying and using frequently during ten years as a field engineer. I don't really need to carry a knife every day now that I am a salesman, but I don't feel dressed without at least a small pocket knife on me. When I backpack I generally have a mora knife along. It is inexpensive, takes a good edge, and is long enough to slice summer sausage and block cheese. It will also reach to the bottom of most peanut butter jars, and is a more effective spreading tool than a spoon. The fixed blade is also easy to clean.

saimyoji
05-05-2007, 16:32
I used to carry to "he-man my blade is bigger than yours survival commando Rambo" knife. Then came to my senses. I've never used my knife for anything more than minor slicing, cutting.

For the real heavy work I whip out either my chainsaw or sword. :D

refreeman
05-05-2007, 21:39
Buy your knife on eBay, you will cut its cost in half. Here's one that I use and it is $15 including shipping. No I am not selling this. This is the eBay guy I bought mine from.
Everting I need and nothing I don't need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WENGER-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-TETON-MODEL-NIB_W0QQitemZ270116459580QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48821Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

WENGER SWISS ARMY KNIFE: TETON MODEL, NIB

2.5" 100% Serrated large blade
1.65" Clip point utility blade
2.4" Springless scissors with serrated, self-sharpening design
Phillips head screwdriver
Can opener
Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter and wire stripper
Reamer, awl
Toothpick
Tweezers
Key ring
Actual Size: 3.25"
Weight: 2.6 oz
Limited lifetime warranty
Made in Switzerland

DustyBoots
05-06-2007, 01:26
I carry a lightweight Gerber knife with a 3" blade. I use it often. The most important thing is to keep the blade sharp. Sharpening stones are available in most trail towns. Swiss army gadgets can be borrowed from other hikers. A Leatherman is more usefull than a Swiss Army Knife.

Jester2000
05-06-2007, 02:00
Why carry a knife? To cut cheese, shoe laces, bandages, summer sausage, lever out a battery, trim a pack strap, open a package, remove a bee stinger, make a stove, entertain your sheltermates with a convincing performance from "Chinatown."

Why not carry a knife? 'Cause it's lighter than carrying a knife.

Your choice, of course. But don't plan on asking other people for their knives when you decide you need one.

'Cause then you're just one of those annoying people who go light by having other people carry the gear.

Vi+
05-06-2007, 16:45
I usually carry a knife and use one almost daily, more often non-hiking than when hiking. If you’re planning to Live outdoors, however, a knife can become a fairly essential tool.

A folding knife is convenient to carry in a pocket, but a substantial pocket knife weighs more, and is less durable, than a sheath knife.

I love the all-purpose design of Swiss Army Knives. Their close fit and fine finish are very impressive, especially given their price. They are, however, made of relatively soft steel; they dull relatively quickly, but sharpen readily. Do you carry a knife sharpener? If the only uses you can think of for a knife are opening your bounce box, cutting cheese, and cleaning your nails, the Swiss Army Knife will serve those purposes well and continue to look great.

If you consider a knife part of an emergency / survival kit, when you actually use the knife, you will probably come to value getting the work done quickly, without using a lot of energy, and without injuring yourself. You will be better served with a sturdy and sharp blade (good steel and temper) of some significant length.

The hiker who cut off his own arm in Utah - not that any of us plan to ever do that, nor that he ever planned to do that - wasn’t dissuaded from backpacking again by his self-amputation, but he volunteered he would never again carry a multi-purpose knife.

If you can’t foresee many uses for a knife, nor conceive trying circumstances where innumerable uses for a knife become apparent, feel free to carry a toy.

If you think you may actually need a knife, carry a knife.

funbun
05-06-2007, 20:47
Thanks for the input evryone. I ordered a Mora knife. I think it's the 3 7/8 inch version with the wodden handle.

Nightwalker
05-06-2007, 21:42
Too late to matter in this discussion, but I carry a very small Gerber with a 1" blade. I keep it clipped in the top of my pack--where keys are supposed to go, I guess. It weighs very little and has been all the blade I've ever needed on the trail.

Skidsteer
05-06-2007, 21:54
For those that prefer a fixed blade, but want to go as light as possible, consider the Joyce Chen 'handy Little Knife' (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp%3FSKU%3D5471%26src%3DFroogle%26cam%3DP roducts%26kw%3D5471&fr=AKG_MjHMvAjF9Uy9mxuMLaBXIdbSW8XOJenErtCIf5GCIIZ 0CpaQH4cAAAAAAAAAAA&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=result&cd=2&usg=AFrqEzdP92pChNIe3iYjQQUB2vvZKSH6Kw).

Weighs an ounce.

Nightwalker
05-06-2007, 22:01
For those that prefer a fixed blade, but want to go as light as possible, consider the Joyce Chen 'handy Little Knife' (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp%3FSKU%3D5471%26src%3DFroogle%26cam%3DP roducts%26kw%3D5471&fr=AKG_MjHMvAjF9Uy9mxuMLaBXIdbSW8XOJenErtCIf5GCIIZ 0CpaQH4cAAAAAAAAAAA&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=result&cd=2&usg=AFrqEzdP92pChNIe3iYjQQUB2vvZKSH6Kw).

Weighs an ounce.

Nice looking blade. Any idea about its self-dulling propensities? low-carbon stainless tends to do that, high-carbon not so much.

peanuts
05-07-2007, 11:23
i second the joyce chen knife, i have one for the house, van, and i might consider to take it on short trips!:)

Mags
05-07-2007, 11:33
The hiker who cut off his own arm in Utah - not that any of us plan to ever do that, nor that he ever planned to do that -

...he also did a really stupid manuver in the canyons that other experienced canyoneers frown upon.

Backcountry knowledge and knowing how to apply it is much less weight than any piece of equipment.

Cannibal
05-07-2007, 12:02
I can't think of a reason to NOT carry a knife. Too many positives for the tiny bit of added weight! Plus, after 30+ years of having a knife in my pocket, I think I'd walk funny without it. SAG makes some great knives, but I adore my Gerber Shortcut!

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 12:42
My bushmaster has animal snares, med-kit, gutting tool, fire starters, an anchor clip and hooks/fishing line.

I tend to walk a little further off the trail then most folks though.

... plus my hatchet and multi-tool ...

spittinpigeon
05-07-2007, 13:24
Just think about the part in Crocodile Dundee where he runs into the pimps, reaches back, and his knife is gone. THAT is my reason for carrying a knife, all the pimps. And on the AT you won't have a limo driver to save your but.

icemanat95
05-07-2007, 13:39
I always carry a knife and feel pretty naked without one.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no such thing as too much knife. There may be a valid sentiment that such and such a knife is more than you want to carry, but, when you need a tough knife, you need a tough knife and a keychain nail-picker ain't gonna cut it.

I've destroyed more pocket knives than most people will ever own, admittedly pushing them FAR beyond their design parameters, but it's pretty amazing how little punishment some things won't take. Pretty much ANY of those cheap "free" swiss army style knives (be they large or small) will fail spectacularly if put up to fairly simple "emergency" use tasks and their edges fail VERY quickly in use, often with a large (relatively) chunk of steel flaking off the edge, rendering it useless without a major re-grind, and even then, the heat-treat is usually so poor that the work is wasted anyhow.

That's not saying that an inexpensive knife isn't useful. Cold Steel sells a line of small neck knives like the Ready Edge and Super Edge that can handle serious cutting duties without breaking the bank (under 20.00 each) and they weight practically nothing (under an ounce).

For multi-tools and such, buy a brand name like Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, Wenger, Buck, SOG, etc. I prefer something with a substantial pair of scissors. My Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) is a sensible size with a 2+ inch main blade, a smaller blade, the usual scissors and screwdrivers and can openers, a sawblade and a file. I've used every single tool on there on the trail, and more than once. Of course even a Swiss Army Knife of good manufacture is NOT going to hold up to some of the uses I have put knives to and consider emergency use, but they do a lot better than the keychain knives do...a lot better.

Whatever knife you choose to carry, be it small or large, make sure you have a tool to sharpen it with and the knowledge to do so efficiently and effectively. When forced to make do with a small knife you will wear that edge out REAL fast, and having the ability to get a good edge on it again quick can make a huge difference...as will the ability to improvise other tools as needed. flint knapping is a valuable skill in this regard, allowing you to make functional cutting and chopping tools out of stone, using other stones and bits of wood, bone or antler.

Speaking of flint. I watched a re-enactor kindle a fire in probably about the same time as it would take to light it with a match, using flint and steel and char cloth. She took a piece of char cloth and placed it on a piece of leather. The flint was then placed over lapping the edge of the char cloth, and the leather was wrapped over the whole leaving most of the char cloth and the striking edge of the flint exposed. She then struck the flint with the steel once, popping a spark off into the charcloth. She then blew gently on the charcloth to keep the ember glowing and added it to a handful of rope fibers. She blew it gently into flame, tucked the bundle under a tepee of kindling and there was a fire.

The secret is the char cloth. Char cloth is simply a square of linen or cotten cloth that has been cooked in a metal can (not exposed directly to flame and starved of oxygen by putting on a lid). The cloth turns black and is moistureless. All it takes is one spark to set it to burning like a coal, then add some dried and fibrous matter for kindling and you've got a fire. I'm going to make a batch soon and experiment.

A couple extra ounces in a sturdy and functional knife will never serve you wrong.

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 15:45
... The secret is the char cloth. Char cloth is simply a square of linen or cotten cloth that has been cooked in a metal can (not exposed directly to flame and starved of oxygen by putting on a lid). The cloth turns black and is moistureless. All it takes is one spark to set it to burning like a coal, then add some dried and fibrous matter for kindling and you've got a fire. I'm going to make a batch soon and experiment.

Take 10 cotton balls and rub petroleum jelly all over them and through them, then pack them into a chapstick container. It will light under a spark and burn for 4-5 minutes. Best emergency fire starter you can make.

funbun
05-07-2007, 15:50
Take 10 cotton balls and rub petroleum jelly all over them and through them, then pack them into a chapstick container. It will light under a spark and burn for 4-5 minutes. Best emergency fire starter you can make.

What about lint from the dryer?

leeki pole
05-07-2007, 16:10
A good knife is like a good wife.
She's always there when you need her;
She's always got the edge;
You rant about not having enough
But she's always there and tough
And keeps you from going off the edge.:)

icemanat95
05-07-2007, 16:26

Lint, by itself, needs more than a spark to ignite it. Load it up with petroleum jelly and perhaps. Denatured alcohol soaked lint will not ignite with a spark. I'm not even certain I have petroleum jelly to test that method.

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 17:04

Not if it's a fire retardant.

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 17:05

Not if it's a fire retardant.

Skidsteer
05-07-2007, 17:16
Nice looking blade. Any idea about its self-dulling propensities? low-carbon stainless tends to do that, high-carbon not so much.

I don't know what type of stainless it is made from but it seems to hold an edge well enough for my purposes.

It's a semi-flexible blade(like a filet knife but tougher)which I like.

The handle could stand to be wider but for $5.95 at Publix and a weight of one ounce I'm not complaining.

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 23:08
I don't know what type of stainless it is made from but it seems to hold an edge well enough for my purposes.

It's a semi-flexible blade(like a filet knife but tougher)which I like.

The handle could stand to be wider but for $5.95 at Publix and a weight of one ounce I'm not complaining.

Thanks Skids.

Where do I find plans for the stove and Heinekin pot that you use? Summer hiking time is upon us, and I'm trying to get as light as possible. Your rig was simple, beutiful and light. It also seemed to work well.

I still remember that beautiful evening at 5500 feet on Standing Indian and those poor clueless kids. :)

Skidsteer
05-07-2007, 23:44
Thanks Skids.

Where do I find plans for the stove and Heinekin pot that you use? Summer hiking time is upon us, and I'm trying to get as light as possible. Your rig was simple, beutiful and light. It also seemed to work well.

I still remember that beautiful evening at 5500 feet on Standing Indian and those poor clueless kids. :)

Heh.

That's a tough question for a stovie.

I have actually managed to carry the same stove kit for my last two trips running :eek: and I like it pretty well. The stove is a Turbo Tea-Lite (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22524)and the pot is a chopped Heinie (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21663). I pack it all up in a drip coffeemaker (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381)/cozy/coffee cup combo for a current total weight of 4.05 oz. I've got a few ideas in the works to make it even lighter, naturally.

Funny you should mention Standing Indian. I try to hit it at least four times a year(Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), and I'm overdue on Spring.

Wow, talk about thread drift!

Panzer1
05-07-2007, 23:51
I just got this Gerber knife from REI. Its called the Gerber F.A.S.T. draw knife.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0034396517065a.shtml

It uses some kind of spring assisted thing to make it very fast to open.
They told me it was legal to carry. Does anyone know for sure if it is legal to carry a spring assisted knife?

Panzer

Nightwalker
05-08-2007, 00:30
I just got this Gerber knife from REI. Its called the Gerber F.A.S.T. draw knife.

They told me it was legal to carry. Does anyone know for sure if it is legal to carry a spring assisted knife?

Panzer

A knife dealer told me that the spring-assisted flip-open knives are legal in most states, but that the ones that come straight out of the end are illegal. No idea of the truthiness of this statement, but the fact that they're able to sell them might mean that it's true. :)

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 08:31
A knife dealer told me that the spring-assisted flip-open knives are legal in most states, but that the ones that come straight out of the end are illegal. No idea of the truthiness of this statement, but the fact that they're able to sell them might mean that it's true. :)

You can order automatic front opening knives on line. Great for a fight but I woubt it would hold up to the abuse of prying a rock out of the ground or cutting a tree limb.

The only knife you can depend on is a solid tang, non folding, one piece knife with a 4-12" blade. Blood grooves, serrated back and gut hook are a plus. Balanced for thowing is nice too.

Jaybird
05-08-2007, 08:52
Do you guys carry a knifes on the trail? .................................................. ............

Yep, a small serated knife...1 oz.:D

Tha Wookie
05-08-2007, 12:00
Do you guys carry a knifes on the trail? What's the purpose of a knife? I want a Mora knife, but I'm not sure what I would use it for on the trail.

I carry a Mora. I would not go into the woods without anymore if I have the choice. Not because it's "essential" to keep me alive (because I can make a cutting rock blade if needed), but because I really ENJOY having and using it.

I like to whittle things -hiking sticks, bow/hand drill parts, stakes, amulets, whatever.

I also use it for more typical things, like cheese slicing, other kitchen work, fish cleaning, and shaving down sticks to get a good kindling base to go over my tinder.

I usually keep it in a home-made sheath that fits on my belt, so it is always handy. I find myself pulling it out for reasons I never anticipated. One of my favorite things as a tree lover is to test the density of woods with a faint tip poke.

Also, I use it to split wood, using a billet to hammer the blade as a wedge down the stick.

Mora's are nice blades. The single bevel stays sharper than double bevels in my experience.

saimyoji
05-08-2007, 15:39
Blood grooves.... Balanced for thowing is nice too.

Care to share your experiences needing these features?

hobbit
05-08-2007, 16:09
why would you throw your good knife?!?! and dull it up while potentially bending the tip....

I always used to carry a very old but quite big saber bowie knife with a semi flexible blade that I bought from an antique dealer for 10 dollars but after all the years of abuse that it recieved before me and a crappy sharpener (always use a stone you can't trust those stupid V slotted kitchen ones) it has been retired...

I am currently looking for a classy fixed blade to take its place but haven't found one that meets my expectations of a knife I intend to have for the rest of my days

until then I am carrying a smith and wesson folding knife that is very rugged and holds an edge well I must say though I really do miss the feel of a sharp light and well made fixed blade

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 16:09
Care to share your experiences needing these features?

You a lawman?

Dances with Mice
05-08-2007, 17:48
why would you throw your good knife?!?! and dull it up while potentially bending the tip....I have some experience throwing objects with the intent of having the object arrive at a target with a desired orientation. In other words, I have thrown knives at people. And I've had them thrown at me. By my wife.

That's trust.

Objects with a center of gravity that do NOT coincide with that object's center of length are easiest to control. 'Balance' doesn't correlate with flight stability.

saimyoji
05-09-2007, 00:22
You a lawman?

lol.......

LostInSpace
05-09-2007, 03:56
I carry a Mora, for many of the reasons that Tha Wookie mentioned. You can order one here (http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Mora-Eriksson-Red-Blue-Wilderness-Sales.htm).

hobbit
05-09-2007, 11:15
I have some experience throwing objects with the intent of having the object arrive at a target with a desired orientation. In other words, I have thrown knives at people. And I've had them thrown at me. By my wife.

That's trust.

Objects with a center of gravity that do NOT coincide with that object's center of length are easiest to control. 'Balance' doesn't correlate with flight stability.

I'm not against throwing knives in fact i have a set to throw i was just asking why one would throw thier one knife in the woods in a hiking or survival sitution where you likely only have 1 knife with you...

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 11:23
I'm not against throwing knives in fact i have a set to throw i was just asking why one would throw thier one knife in the woods in a hiking or survival sitution where you likely only have 1 knife with you...

Because if you've been in a struggle and your leg is broken and your victim ... erm ... I mean attacker is getting away from you, then you can't give chase, you have to put them down before they can get to the authorities ... erm ... I mean get away to hurt someone else.

icemanat95
05-09-2007, 11:49

Panzer

The legality of assisted opening knives like the Gerber F.A.S.T. and the Kershaw Ken Onion models varies from place to place. In reality, an individual police officer's opinion of the matter may be the dividing line between arrest and not. Whether the arrest will hold up in court is a matter for the lawyers.

Search Knife laws on Google and you can find state-by-state breakdowns of the laws regarding knives. Some states allow assisted openers, others consider them switchblades and outlaw them, still others don't even mind switchblades so long as the blades are under a certain length (2.5 inches in California). In Florida, if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit, you can also carry an automatic (switchblade) knife.

You really need to check out local laws.

That said, it is far more important to govern how you behave with the knife. If your actions get bystanders attention or make them feel threatened, you can count on a visit from the local police REGARDLESS of the type of knife. If you give no-one any reason to worry then you can carry a switchblade or a fixed blade, or whatever, without really having any practical worry about the police.

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 12:00

That said, it is far more important to govern how you behave with the knife. If your actions get bystanders attention or make them feel threatened, you can count on a visit from the local police REGARDLESS of the type of knife. If you give no-one any reason to worry then you can carry a switchblade or a fixed blade, or whatever, without really having any practical worry about the police.

If you're on this liberal board spouting off that people should be responsible for their own actions, you got another thing coming buddy boy. Hilary is on the way, and all your decisions will be made for you as she reads to you by the fire light of the burning constitution! Hail the glory!

I didn't write that ... YOU made me write that! I'm the victim here!

icemanat95
05-09-2007, 12:12
You can order automatic front opening knives on line. Great for a fight but I woubt it would hold up to the abuse of prying a rock out of the ground or cutting a tree limb.

The only knife you can depend on is a solid tang, non folding, one piece knife with a 4-12" blade. Blood grooves, serrated back and gut hook are a plus. Balanced for thowing is nice too.

A few points,

so-called "Blood grooves" are really "fullers." Fullers are grooves cut into the flats of a stout blade to reduce weight without compromising stiffness and strength too much. Experiment after experiment has proved that there is no truth to the idea that a fuller helps break the suction of flesh on the blade or allow blood to flow more freely.

A serrated back edge can be valuable for a field knife IF the serrations are well designed for cutting wood, or sheet metal or whatever, otherwise they just get in the way and present a hazard to the user. Gut hooks are without use unless you plan on processing large game animals in short order, in which case a well designed gut hook makes skinning a lot quicker and cleaner. (the gut hool really has nothing to do with hooking out guts).

Blade length. There has been an awful lot written on the subject. For a utility knife I tend to favor a knife with a middle length blade, say about 5 inches give or take, but you can easily get away with less. For fighting knives (not really an issue here) there are some strong opinions out there that 5 inches is minimal to penetrate to vital organs, but if you've ever watched an Arnis or Silat practitioner, you'd have no doubt that 2 inches is enough to get the job done since the carotid, brachial and even femoral arteries aren't really that deeply buried, neither are critical tendons and ligaments.

BUT, for most field use, 3-5 inches is good.

Throwing knives. I cannot think of a single good reason to do this outside of utter desperation. If you throw it and miss, the presumably dangerous opponent is unhurt, undetered and probably even more pissed off. Meanwhile you are unarmed. Bad juju for you.

icemanat95
05-09-2007, 12:13
If you're on this liberal board spouting off that people should be responsible for their own actions, you got another thing coming buddy boy. Hilary is on the way, and all your decisions will be made for you as she reads to you by the fire light of the burning constitution! Hail the glory!

I didn't write that ... YOU made me write that! I'm the victim here!

:-? :-? :-?

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 12:16
Knives, like everything else, should be kept out of ANY politician's hand. They will hurt themselves; you should have common sense to use a potentially dangerous tool.

Iceman is right about their use. If you act like a fool with a knife be prepared to be treated as one. Most cops I know are just like us with gear; they love new and cool things. In my experience the only reason a law enforcement offical has ever wanted to see a knife of mine is if he/she thought is was better than whatever they were carrying.

Dances with Mice
05-09-2007, 12:30
I'm not against throwing knives in fact i have a set to throw i was just asking why one would throw thier one knife in the woods in a hiking or survival sitution where you likely only have 1 knife with you...Well, I remember the beginning of the old black&white Superman TV series where a bad guy would empty his revolver at Superman. Superman stood with his hands on his hips laughing as bullets bounced off his chest. Then the bad guy threw his gun at Superman and Superman ducked. So which is more dangerous?

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 13:45

Throwing knives. I cannot think of a single good reason to do this outside of utter desperation. If you throw it and miss, the presumably dangerous opponent is unhurt, undetered and probably even more pissed off. Meanwhile you are unarmed. Bad juju for you.

Not if you use the pocket LAW rocket.

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 13:46
Well, I remember the beginning of the old black&white Superman TV series where a bad guy would empty his revolver at Superman. Superman stood with his hands on his hips laughing as bullets bounced off his chest. Then the bad guy threw his gun at Superman and Superman ducked. So which is more dangerous?

Liberal democrats.

Skidsteer
05-09-2007, 14:11
Liberal democrats.

Well....if someone could pick up Michael Moore and throw him at me, I think I'd be too surprised to duck.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2007, 14:17
Well....if someone could pick up Michael Moore and throw him at me, I think I'd be too surprised to duck.
So....are you saying...you can take away Michael Moore's knife, but you'd better not take away his fork?:-?

Outlaw
05-09-2007, 14:27
Knives, like everything else, should be kept out of ANY politician's hand. They will hurt themselves;

hmmmm, and this is a bad thing???:rolleyes:

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 14:47
Good point Outlaw!

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 14:54

Uhhhh, right. (backing slowly away with big grin planted firmly aface.)

I'll just stick to my baby Gerber, and slay 'em with my snarky wit. Yeah, that's the ticket...

superman
05-09-2007, 15:21
OK, the truth is that I was told that guns were dangerous and that is why I ducked. Like most of the truths in life they are simple...for example:
AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES

1. When choking on an ice cube, simply pour a cup of boiling
water down your throat. Presto! The blockage will instantly
remove itself.

2. Avoid cutting yourself slicing vegetables by getting someone
else to hold while you chop.

3. Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by
using the sink.

4. To treat high blood pressure: simply cut yourself and bleed for
a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins.
Remember to use a timer.

5. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent
you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit
the snooze button.

6. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then
you will be afraid to cough.

7. You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move
and does, use the duct tape.

8. When confused remember, everyone seems normal until you
get to know them.

Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN
PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 15:24
I'm getting a mouse trap!!!!!!!

Dances with Mice
05-09-2007, 15:28
4. To treat high blood pressure: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a timer. I tried that but my timer isn't sharp enough.

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 16:52
Hilary is on the way, and all your decisions will be made for you as she reads to you by the fire light of the burning constitution! Hail the glory!

Since Bush took office I wasn't aware that anyone was particularly interested in the Constitution.

Knives, like everything else, should be kept out of ANY politician's hand. They will hurt themselves; you should have common sense to use a potentially dangerous tool.

As a politician, I resent this statement. It's kind of like making fun of Scientologists, isn't it? You feel comfortable doing it because there are few of them and you don't know any personally. But isn't it a tad too easy? I mean, if you don't even have to be funny to get away with it, where's the challenge?

Sorry you had the misfortune to be born in a country with a representative democracy. Better luck next time.

OrionTheRanger
05-09-2007, 17:16
Its vetter to have a knife and not need it then need it and not have one.

Marta
05-09-2007, 17:21
Its vetter to have a knife and not need it then need it and not have one.

Thus speaks the heavy-weight backpacker. Seriously, that's the attitude that has people set out with 100 pounds on their backs. If that's what you want to do, then do it. But if you want to make your hiking a lot easier, you have to start sorting things into 1) need to have 2) want to have 3) might like to have but not worth the weight. No two hikers will have exactly the same lists for almost anything, obviously including knives.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Fiddler
05-09-2007, 17:34
Want something really lightweight and still capable of cutting almost anything you would find necessary to cut on a hike? Carry a single edge razor blade with the edge covered with duct tape. Don't get much smaller or lighter than that.

hobbit
05-09-2007, 18:18
from a survival sense you have it all wrong if you wanna go really ultra light and don't carry everything that you anticipate you might need then what you really really need is a knife that is capable of getting your ass out of a situation that might arise from not carrying everything that you might need... so to say that going really ultralight represents not wanting to carry a heavy or adequate knife and carrying a toothpick with a semi sharp edge on one of its easily breakable appendages is less than constructive if you get into a mess

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 18:55
Thus speaks the heavy-weight backpacker. Seriously, that's the attitude that has people set out with 100 pounds on their backs.

Even Ray Jardine carries a knife.

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 18:57
Sorry you had the misfortune to be born in a country with a representative democracy. Better luck next time.

Boy, you walked into that one. It's a representative Repugnic, er, Republic. Your spelling may vary. :-?

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 19:07
Boy, you walked into that one. It's a representative Repugnic, er, Republic. Your spelling may vary. :-?

Um, no, I didn't walk anywhere. It's a Democratic Republic, also known as a representative democracy.

For those that need the civics lesson, in a democracy we'd all vote on every issue that came up, and we'd each get a say, which works well in small city-states. And, apparently, in California, where they've never seen a referendum item they didn't desperately want to put on a ballot.

True democracy becomes cumbersome with larger populations, so what we have is a Democratic Republic, also known as representative democracy, 'cause we vote for people who will represent us in making decisions. Supposedly. But sometimes not so much.

Way to try to catch the former Social Studies teacher, though. Better luck next time.

Marta
05-09-2007, 19:15
Even Ray Jardine carries a knife.

My fault for being so unclear...I was just about to leave the office after a long day. I am not advocating NOT carrying a knife, but merely putting forth an argument for carrying the least knife you feel you can get by with. I carry a knife, but a very small one. It has served me well along the AT, where I am not chopping wood or killing animals. (I don't cut my blocks of cheese, I gnaw bites off it. Gross, I know, but I hate to do dishes when I'm hiking.)

Uh oh, thunderstorm moving in. Lighting cometh close. Time to unplug.

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 19:26
Way to try to catch the former Social Studies teacher, though. Better luck next time.

Just going by what my, um, social studies teacher told me. She was cuter than you, but not as funny. And she gave great spankings, back in the day. :D

Chache
05-09-2007, 19:32
These long threads are funny to see what the original post was and what it developers to. We could start with Freezer bag cooking and end with Hillary Clinton

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 20:10
I don't cut my blocks of cheese, I gnaw bites off it. Gross, I know, but I hate to do dishes when I'm hiking.

The only reason to cut cheese with a knife is if you're sharing it with someone, which is what I was thinking of in my post regarding what one needs a knife for. Unless you want to do a whole Lady and the Tramp thing, but with a big block of Sharp Vermont Cheddar. My god that's romantic.

Just going by what my, um, social studies teacher told me. She was cuter than you, but not as funny. And she gave great spankings, back in the day. :D

Not only am I as cute as your social studies teacher, but I give spankings so spectacular that people who experience them weep with joy.

Marta
05-09-2007, 20:47
The only reason to cut cheese with a knife is if you're sharing it with someone...

Touch my cheese at your peril!

Come to think of it...to defend myself from someone trying to get my cheese might be a reason to use a big knife.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 22:12
Since Bush took office I wasn't aware that anyone was particularly interested in the Constitution.

As a politician, I resent this statement. It's kind of like making fun of Scientologists, isn't it? You feel comfortable doing it because there are few of them and you don't know any personally. But isn't it a tad too easy? I mean, if you don't even have to be funny to get away with it, where's the challenge?

I know several; I call a few friends. Nice try:rolleyes:

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 22:16
You know several Scientologists?

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 22:19
Nope, my Mom's best friend was a Scientologist. As far as I know, that's the only one I know. Are you a Scientologist? I honestly don't know much about their beliefs.

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 22:27
I'm not, but I know enough to know that I find their beliefs incredibly strange, and their methods kind of duplicitous.

I still maintain that making fun of politicians is too easy. Why do you think so many morons get to be political pundits? Everyone after Twain and Menckin shouldn't even bother.

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 22:34
BTW, didn't you win "Mayor o' Billville" by the default of being the only one of the original four that finished that year? Or was it just a wily combination of blackmail, threats and bribery?

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 22:36
Everyone after Twain and Menckin shouldn't even bother.

In that light, I would have to agree.

moxie
05-09-2007, 22:53
I'm not, but I know enough to know that I find their beliefs incredibly strange, and their methods kind of duplicitous.

Very few people realize that Jester is actually in real life The Archbishop of Philedelphia. To relieve the excessive strain of blessing children and hearing boreing confessions he sneaks out of Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt Church RC, puts on shorts and goes hiking as Jester, the mayor of Billville. Billville is actually a small group of cloistered priests loyal to Bishop Jester. Don't be fooled by these silly posts Archfather Jester puts on Whiteblaze. After morning mass he needs something to do to amuse himself until he has his simple lunch served by Sister Blister to him and Jack, the Archbishop of Baltimore.:banana

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 23:24
Hey, I don't want to muddy up what was a perfectly good knife thread with a whole origin of the office of Mayor of Billville thing, but there were more than 4 Bills and I was not the only one to finish.

As for the rest, I will comment not, so as to maintain the air of mystery and awe that surrounds the mere mention of Billville.

Nightwalker
05-10-2007, 02:14
Hey, I don't want to muddy up what was a perfectly good knife thread with a whole origin of the office of Mayor of Billville thing, but there were more than 4 Bills and I was not the only one to finish.

Well, I'm glad that I heard or remembered wrong. Either way works.

Hey, I'll never stay out six months at a time, and I've got enough miles to make for a short-ish Long March. So who finished and who didn't shouldn't have even came up. So there.

Mebbe you won because you have nine votes, not including the three for Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

Anyway, I'll one day ply you with jaegermeister until it just slobbers out of you. Just you wait.

Rhino-lfl
05-10-2007, 10:36
With a big enough knife, you could have killed this thread a long time ago :)

Jester2000
05-10-2007, 18:05
We're doing it slowly, using the dreaded Japanese, "Thousand Cuts" method.

superman
05-10-2007, 18:55
In 1999 I hiked the LT. I shared a shelter with a young hiker named "rabbit." He was well ahead of the pack and flying up to Katahdin. He was doing 20-30 mile days. He went to Manchester after I met him. While in Manchester he bought a new Swiss army knife. The tip of his hiking pole got pushed up so he was trying to free it up with his new knife when it slipped and cut his hand deeply. He had to have emergency surgery to re-attach nerves etc. He was so early that he came back to finish a couple months later. He found that the whites were too hard to hike one handed. He had to finish the following year. He was about as good of a hiker as you'll find but just one little slip changed his whole hike.

Jester2000
05-10-2007, 18:59
The tip of his hiking pole got pushed up so he was trying to free it up with his new knife when it slipped and cut his hand deeply. He had to have emergency surgery to re-attach nerves etc. He was so early that he came back to finish a couple months later. He found that the whites were too hard to hike one handed. He had to finish the following year. He was about as good of a hiker as you'll find but just one little slip changed his whole hike.

Superman, that's an excellent point, and we would be remiss if we did not, somewhere in this thread, post the following warning:

Knives are sharp.

Skidsteer
05-10-2007, 21:24
Superman, that's an excellent point, and we would be remiss if we did not, somewhere in this thread, post the following warning:

Knives are sharp.

Yes, knives are sharp.

Non-locking knives, however, seem to be on some kind of secret mission to prove it.

Passive-aggressive bastards, the lot of them.

RockStar
05-10-2007, 22:13
Speaking of knives...has anyone seen the new Gerber Presto? I saw it in the April issue of Backpacker. Nice knife! A bit much for hiking but, a knife is a knife. I have a hard time finding a knife that is small but, not too small.All while being sharp enough or light enough to use hiking. I tried the "small" knife approach and cussed everytime I tried to slice cheese or saw through rope. Personally I want something bigger than a swiss army. And I also KNOW how sharp and dangerous knives are! I have seen boys/men hold them in their mouths and all kinds of stuff I would never do!

I like gerber. I just have had a problem finding a design I like. Wish you could custom order them. The Presto I like though. I had a Spyderco Native and it was a little on the big side (which is why I haven't bought another)but, a great knife! Lost it on the Train. Actually I suspect the guy that WAS sitting next to me on the side I kept it on may have helped me lose it. Hiking pants were no resistance match for the heavy duty clip. The ONE time I trust the guy next to me enough to sleep for 30 minutes. I even looked around my seat when I got up to get off the train. That thing was heavy enough to have made a good THUD or CLANK if it DID fall. The guy had moved to another seat while I was sleeping. *gives suspicious eye* Almost 50 bucks down the toilet!

rafe
05-10-2007, 22:50
Gerber LST.

RockStar
05-11-2007, 00:41
Have it..Hate it unless Im using it while fishing. In which case I just cut fishing line. Great little knife but...little.

Smudge
05-11-2007, 01:34
Gerber F.A.S.T. Light enough, but big enough. Locking blade, assisted opening(not needed but handy) very sharp, and easy to resharpen.

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 09:19
I have a hard time finding a knife that is small but, not too small.All while being sharp enough or light enough to use hiking. I tried the "small" knife approach and cussed everytime I tried to slice cheese or saw through rope. Personally I want something bigger than a swiss army.

Check out http://www.sogknives.com. I've got a couple of their knives and really, really like them. They have some excellent small blade options and the "assist" tech is reliable. They are pricey, but they are still a good value IMO.

TIDE-HSV
05-11-2007, 10:20
when someone posted above that Swiss Army knives are made of soft steel. I looked and all mine, including the itty-bitty ones are stainless. The international exported ones will have both German and English. If you buy one in Switzerland, it will normally only have the German - "rostfrei" (rust free) on it...

icemanat95
05-11-2007, 14:23
when someone posted above that Swiss Army knives are made of soft steel. I looked and all mine, including the itty-bitty ones are stainless. The international exported ones will have both German and English. If you buy one in Switzerland, it will normally only have the German - "rostfrei" (rust free) on it...

All stainless steel means is that the Chromium content of the steel is 10.5% or better. It has no bearing on the hardness of the steel at all. Hardness is achieved through the heat-treat and is a function of the carbon content of the steel. Carbon content needs to be above .5 to achieve functional blade hardness. More than 2.0% and the steel is brittle as glass. Most blade steel is between.5 and .95 carbon content.

Most stainless steels for knife blades tend to be a bit on the brittle side anyhow because of the chromium. So, the heat treat is critical.

Heat treat:

Blade steels need to go through a few stages of heat treat.

Annealing: After the steel has been forged or ground to shape, it must be annealed or normalized to remove the stresses created in the steel by these less than gentle processes. This ensures a more even grain structure in the steel,

Hardening/quenching. The steel is heated to "critical" a point where the steel is momentarily non-magnetic. Then it is quenched in water, oil or a blast or air depending upon the individual steel. Whis locks the crystal state of the steel into martensite, a very rigid crystal lattice. Unfortunately this is also a very brittle state, so we must temper the steel.

Tempering.
To temper the steel, you need to bring it up to about 300 degrees F and hold it there for a while, a couple hours, then SLOWLY let it cool to room temperature. This relieves the internal stresses and only lowers hardness a bit. You've still got hard mertensite, but it's more stable.

Stainless steels are more demanding of the heat treat. It's got to be just right, or it's too brittle, or too soft, or whatever, and hard to sharpen without special tools, diamond stones, etc.

A few points.
Softer steel is easier to sharpen
Harder steel can be a PITA, but it holds an edge forever.
Silicon in steel makes it a bit springier
Chromium makes it rust resistant (not rust-proof), but too much makes it weak and brittle...I'd rather have to oil the blade from time to time than suffer an edge that won't hold up.

Jester2000
05-11-2007, 19:04
Yes, knives are sharp.
Non-locking knives, however, seem to be on some kind of secret mission to prove it.

That was awesome.

Silicon in steel makes it a bit springier

Just like breasts!

Nightwalker
05-11-2007, 21:28
Just like breasts!

Hey, teach! Ain't that silicone?

Which reminds me. I had a teacher in the 4th grade who said "If you can find ain't in the dictionary, you can have the rest of the year off." Well, she was dumb and a liar. heh. And yeah, there was more to it than that.

buckowens
05-11-2007, 23:06
Yes, knives are sharp.

Passive-aggressive bastards, the lot of them.

Skidsteer,

Absolutely brilliant. I am forwarding this immediately to my knife crazed First Sergeant who will love it! I needed that tonight, thanks :D

RockStar
05-12-2007, 18:14
Gerber F.A.S.T. Light enough, but big enough. Locking blade, assisted opening(not needed but handy) very sharp, and easy to resharpen.
I haven't held it yet but, it is on my "To do and probably buy" list. A lot slimmer and less bulky than the SPyderco Native! It did look quite sharp! ;)

reh1966
05-12-2007, 20:39
For those of you that carry a fixed blade sheath knife (I don't although I am thinking of it), how do you carry it? I don't generally wear a belt so that option is out. Do you attach it to your pack or just place it inside?

Rex

Skidsteer
05-12-2007, 20:54
That was awesome.

Skidsteer,

Absolutely brilliant. I am forwarding this immediately to my knife crazed First Sergeant who will love it! I needed that tonight, thanks :D

The rest (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=264842&highlight=forgot#post264842) of the story (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=264876&highlight=rest+story#post264876). :o

Jester2000
05-12-2007, 21:35
For those of you that carry a fixed blade sheath knife (I don't although I am thinking of it), how do you carry it? I don't generally wear a belt so that option is out. Do you attach it to your pack or just place it inside?

Rex

Tucked into a garter riding on your inner thigh under your kilt.

Jester2000
05-12-2007, 21:38
The rest (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=264842&highlight=forgot#post264842) of the story (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=264876&highlight=rest+story#post264876). :o

I like that you blame the blade and not the Burgundy. Good show!

funbun
05-13-2007, 09:10
FYI, I bought a Mora SL-1. I just gotit in a couple days ago. It's smaller than I thought it would be, and it's a lot lighter than I thought. It's a good deal. And I like the "Old World" craftmanship in this knife.

I got the laminated steel version.

reh1966
05-13-2007, 11:02
Tucked into a garter riding on your inner thigh under your kilt.

I guess that I am not with the times:D . I don't wear a kilt either. Now the question is do I switch to using a belt, wearing a kilt or continue with my pocket knife. I will have to think on that one.

Rex

Vi+
05-13-2007, 12:15
Reference Funbun’s post (#116): “I bought a Mora SL-1. ... It's smaller than I thought ... I like the "Old World" craftmanship in this knife. ... I got the laminated steel version.”

I thought I’d add the following, it may contain new information for some knife users.

The “Mora Knife” is made in Mora, Sweden, where knife making has been a major industry for a long time, similarly as with Solingen, Sheffield, etc, elsewhere.

Mora knife makers distinguished themselves by agreeing upon a knife having certain design features to be sold simply as the “Mora Knife.” There are a few relatively minor variations of the Mora Knife which, usually, have to do with the size of the knife. The blade design and handle design, as well as their proportions, remain virtually the same among knives marketed as the “Mora Knife.”

The Mora Knife is made by different knife manufacturers within Mora. There are, therefor, some differences between knives of different manufacture. The prices are virtually the same - amazingly inexpensive.

I usually sand the Mora Knife handle more smoothly, then coat the handle with either linseed oil or mineral oil. Both oils penetrate the wood. Linseed oil ends up producing a coating with a much smoother finish - perhaps too slippery under certain circumstances. Boiled linseed oil requires a much shorter curing time between coats. Mineral oil is often applied on wooden chopping blocks used to cut food during food preparation and leaves something of an ever so slight moist and “rough” feel.

Frosts seems to make Mora Knives which require less additional work than knives from other manufacturers from whom I’ve purchased.

There are typically two blade materials offered, a hard steel blade, or the same hard steel blade, of reduced thickness, sandwiched between a layer of softer steel laminated on each side. The laminated blade offers greater resistance to breakage resulting from lateral, or side, pressure. You shouldn’t “pry” or try to twist with a knife blade but these pressures are sometimes inadvertently exerted during everyday usage.

Tha Wookie
05-13-2007, 12:56
Reference Funbun’s post (#116): “I bought a Mora SL-1. ... It's smaller than I thought ... I like the "Old World" craftmanship in this knife. ... I got the laminated steel version.”

I thought I’d add the following, it may contain new information for some knife users.

The “Mora Knife” is made in Mora, Sweden, where knife making has been a major industry for a long time, similarly as with Solingen, Sheffield, etc, elsewhere.

Mora knife makers distinguished themselves by agreeing upon a knife having certain design features to be sold simply as the “Mora Knife.” There are a few relatively minor variations of the Mora Knife which, usually, have to do with the size of the knife. The blade design and handle design, as well as their proportions, remain virtually the same among knives marketed as the “Mora Knife.”

The Mora Knife is made by different knife manufacturers within Mora. There are, therefor, some differences between knives of different manufacture. The prices are virtually the same - amazingly inexpensive.

I usually sand the Mora Knife handle more smoothly, then coat the handle with either linseed oil or mineral oil. Both oils penetrate the wood. Linseed oil ends up producing a coating with a much smoother finish - perhaps too slippery under certain circumstances. Boiled linseed oil requires a much shorter curing time between coats. Mineral oil is often applied on wooden chopping blocks used to cut food during food preparation and leaves something of an ever so slight moist and “rough” feel.

Frosts seems to make Mora Knives which require less additional work than knives from other manufacturers from whom I’ve purchased.

There are typically two blade materials offered, a hard steel blade, or the same hard steel blade, of reduced thickness, sandwiched between a layer of softer steel laminated on each side. The laminated blade offers greater resistance to breakage resulting from lateral, or side, pressure. You shouldn’t “pry” or try to twist with a knife blade but these pressures are sometimes inadvertently exerted during everyday usage.

Good post.

To add, the laminated blades are often used by carvers/woodworkers who want to bend them under heat for a custom angle.

I'm glad to see the knowledge about the Mora.

Ray Jardine first introduced me to them. He used those blades in our desert camps. Also, the knife kits he sells use Mora blades with specs that he designed and had manufactued in Mora, sans logo.

In my opinion, the utility of the gerber and other hinged blades is far less around a camp. They are cute, though.

Rhino-lfl
05-14-2007, 11:23
In 1999 I hiked the LT. I shared a shelter with a young hiker named "rabbit." He was well ahead of the pack and flying up to Katahdin. He was doing 20-30 mile days. He went to Manchester after I met him. While in Manchester he bought a new Swiss army knife. The tip of his hiking pole got pushed up so he was trying to free it up with his new knife when it slipped and cut his hand deeply. He had to have emergency surgery to re-attach nerves etc. He was so early that he came back to finish a couple months later. He found that the whites were too hard to hike one handed. He had to finish the following year. He was about as good of a hiker as you'll find but just one little slip changed his whole hike.

Lesson learned ... don't give an adults tool to a kiddy who can't use it. Knives only bite you when you use them wrong, not when you use them correctly.

Smudge
05-14-2007, 12:17
I haven't held it yet but, it is on my "To do and probably buy" list. A lot slimmer and less bulky than the SPyderco Native! It did look quite sharp! ;)

Just another note, the hard kydex handle is tough enough to pry open non-twist off beer bottle caps. Something I feel is vital...:D

KirkMcquest
05-14-2007, 14:34

Why a knife might save your bacon son, believe me. Reminds me of the time I was surrounded by 1,000 zulus with nothing but my trusty pocket knife! To make a long story short, I ate zulu for 7 weeks. :eek:

Jester2000
05-14-2007, 19:36
Hey, teach! Ain't that silicone?

Hmm. I've always just assumed they were the same because the ones I've had access to were waterproof.

Ha! Silicon is used to produce silicone, and also Silly Putty. The major difference appears to be that if a woman presses her fake boobs on the Sunday Comics, not much happens.

Why a knife might save your bacon son, believe me. Reminds me of the time I was surrounded by 1,000 zulus with nothing but my trusty pocket knife! To make a long story short, I ate zulu for 7 weeks. :eek:

My God, man. You ate 20 Zulus per day? That can't be good for you.

Nest
05-14-2007, 20:05
Rockstar, have you looked at the Gerber Paraframe line? I have the Paraframe 2 serrated. It actually only weighs 3 oz. and has a 3.5 inch blade. I like it because the steel is extremely strong. I have a nice 3 stone sharpening system, and the blade just cuts away the stone. I can't sharpen it. Had to have it done professionally on a grinder. Some would see this as a bad thing because it would be hard to sharpen on the trail, but with how a knife is used like cutting rope and cheese and small soft stuff, you probably wouldn't have to sharpen a knife this strong. Only cost $14 and a lot of stores carry it. It's what I am carrying on my thru next year.

funbun
05-14-2007, 20:37

What's zulu?

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 20:48
What's zulu?

A fearsome warrior tribe in Africa. Or at least they were in Zulu Dawn (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080180/)!

RockStar
05-14-2007, 22:41
Rockstar, have you looked at the Gerber Paraframe line? I have the Paraframe 2 serrated. It actually only weighs 3 oz. and has a 3.5 inch blade. I like it because the steel is extremely strong. I have a nice 3 stone sharpening system, and the blade just cuts away the stone. I can't sharpen it. Had to have it done professionally on a grinder. Some would see this as a bad thing because it would be hard to sharpen on the trail, but with how a knife is used like cutting rope and cheese and small soft stuff, you probably wouldn't have to sharpen a knife this strong. Only cost $14 and a lot of stores carry it. It's what I am carrying on my thru next year.

No I'll have to check that out! You are right about the light but, frequents uses Not wearing it much!

A fearsome warrior tribe in Africa. Or at least they were in Zulu Dawn (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080180/)!
Speaking of Tribal people...My friend mentioned a long time ago the war b/t the Hutus and the Tutsis or Tutsies?...I laughed out loud b/c I thought he was making it up. Sounds silly. Like 2 girly tribes mud wrestling...He was serious though.

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/EVENTS/1996/year.in.review/topten/hutu/history.html

Nightwalker
05-15-2007, 00:17
Sounds silly. Like 2 girly tribes mud wrestling...He was serious though.

Yeah, the girly tribes were the Tutus and the Hotsies. I understand the confusion. :sun

RockStar
05-15-2007, 01:02
lol hehehe

Ahhh I just looked up the Paraframe Gerber and I have had one of those before. I don't like how the blade lossened so easily. Nice blade though! Stayed sharp!

Mags
05-15-2007, 11:41
.He was serious though.

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/EVENTS/1996/year.in.review/topten/hutu/history.html

He was indeed serious. The above link only hints at the horror which most of the Western world was not even aware. (Myself included) :(

Good movie about the conflict. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395169/) Watch it. When people say "Never again" in making reference to the Holocaust, I'm sad to say it has happened again. And only a little over a decade ago :(

OK..enough being serious for the day....I promise.

Nest
05-16-2007, 05:38
lol hehehe

Ahhh I just looked up the Paraframe Gerber and I have had one of those before. I don't like how the blade lossened so easily. Nice blade though! Stayed sharp!

I've only had mine a few months, and haven't carried it around a lot. Please explian on the loosening issue? Could it be solved with locktight?

RockStar
05-16-2007, 06:01
I've only had mine a few months, and haven't carried it around a lot. Please explian on the loosening issue? Could it be solved with locktight?

I dunno what locktight is but, my blade would weeble wobble after a week or so. I would tighten it back up and it would do the same thing again. When I traded it for a Case Type knife (Which I have but, is heavier than I like) the guy at the counter advised me against it b/c of the same issue. I told him I already owned one and knew what he meant. It IS a nice blade though!

Nest
05-16-2007, 07:06
I dunno what locktight is but, my blade would weeble wobble after a week or so. I would tighten it back up and it would do the same thing again. When I traded it for a Case Type knife (Which I have but, is heavier than I like) the guy at the counter advised me against it b/c of the same issue. I told him I already owned one and knew what he meant. It IS a nice blade though!

Locktight is a glue that you use on machine screws and bolts to keep that from happening pretty much. It would be a pain, if not impossible, to take the knife apart if I use it though. Still might be worth it. Since the knife is so "open" with the skeleton grip and all, I probably wouldn't have to take it apart to clean and oil it. Thanks for the heads-up. Taking it out for 2 weeks this June and will be sure to glue it before I leave.

RockStar
05-16-2007, 08:49
Just try not to have so many bodies to burry like I did. Maybe that was the problem? *scratches head

Old Grouse
05-16-2007, 09:10
Actually Loctite makes several varieties of its product, distinguished by color, one of which is almost impossible to loosen, but another of which is intended for bolts that will need to be removed occasionally. Clear nailpolish can also keep a bolt or nut from loosening unintentionally, but it can be removed intentionally with little extra effort.

RockStar
05-16-2007, 09:52
Thanks Grouse!

Nest
05-16-2007, 19:00
Actually Loctite makes several varieties of its product, distinguished by color, one of which is almost impossible to loosen, but another of which is intended for bolts that will need to be removed occasionally. Clear nailpolish can also keep a bolt or nut from loosening unintentionally, but it can be removed intentionally with little extra effort.

It's a $14 knife, and I would preffer the security so I will get the strongest one. Besides, Buck knives are probably the best folding knives and they are riveted. Glad you told me about the different types. I would hate to get the wrong one and have it come loose over time next year on my thru.

SteveJ
05-18-2007, 01:47
I had a great customer service experience relating to a knife I bought 10 yrs ago that I thought you might want to consider as you review knives and knife manufacturers.

10 yrs ago I bought a kershaw wildcat ridge 3140 knife

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=133

At last month's scout camping trip (a rafting trip on the nantahala river), I made the mistake of loaning my knife to a boy - who brought it back broken - the shaft of the knife was broken at the base inside the case, which caused the knife to not close correctly, and the locking mechanism not to work. Last week I sent the knife back to Kershaw, asking that they repair or replace it, and to please call me with an estimated cost. The knife has sentimental value - the morning after I bought it, my older son took my youngest, who was then 18 months old, downstairs as my wife and I slept in on a Sunday morning. The youngest found it on the end table where I'd left it the night before - we then spent the morning in the ER getting 2 fingers stitched up - he now calls it his "blood knife".

Today (well, I guess it's yesterday now...) I got a brand new knife in the mail, covered under the manufacturer's warranty! Whoo-hoo!

SunnyWalker
05-24-2007, 01:35
hang the belt in the sheath on a strap from neck to under arm across the body. -SunnyWalker
ps. I use a Buck 119 sheath knife. Lots of people think it is politically incorrect, but they all way to borow it.

pure_mahem
12-31-2007, 16:52
A Swiss or Leatherman is a must in my book. One must also always consider that this little guy may need to be used to fend off an attack (human) as well. I like the poles as well... Unlikely, but possible.
I find my 9mm works better for that but I still carry a decent knife and a trail axe.:D

funbun
12-31-2007, 16:53
My grand dad's Colt .45 would be my choice.

Montego
12-31-2007, 18:15
I used to carry a Gerber "Guardian" 3" double edge fixed blade but ended up giving it to my son. I went back to carrying my 3" Buck "Ranger" lock-back folding knife. Both Gerber and Buck are good quality, though I think the Buck ones hold an edge a little better :)