PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Neel's Gap

saderax
05-04-2007, 11:36
I am planning a trip this fall for two to three people on the southernmost section of the AT. We are all fairly new hikers, having section hiked (Woody Gap to Neels Gap) once and hiked the Florida flatlands many times.

The plan at the moment is to go from Springer to Blood Mountain shelter in 3 full days, descending blood on the morning of the fourth, and arriving at Neels Gap. We are planning this trip for just after thanksgiving.

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice. Is this trip as planned possible? Do shuttles run to the terminus of the trail, or do I need to account for the approach trail to springer?

If this trip were for yourself, how would you modify the trip? Should it be done in 4 or 5 days? Would you shorten the trip to woody gap instead of Neels?

Thanks for all the advice.

superman
05-04-2007, 15:43
Sounds good. I used Fred for my shuttle ride this spring. I can't find his card right now. You can get his number from Walisi-yi in Neels Gap as I did. I left my vehicle in the trail head parking in Neels Gap and Fred shuttled us to Springer Mt. Leave yourself some flex time with an extra day’s food just in case. We use a tarp so we weren't limited by where the shelters are. Enjoy

Newb
05-07-2007, 07:09
Enjoy Sassafras Mountain. If you want good shuttle and a great place to stage from check out Josh and Leigh at HikerHostel (www.hikerhostel.com)

SteveJ
05-07-2007, 11:10
I am planning a trip this fall for two to three people on the southernmost section of the AT. We are all fairly new hikers, having section hiked (Woody Gap to Neels Gap) once and hiked the Florida flatlands many times.

The plan at the moment is to go from Springer to Blood Mountain shelter in 3 full days, descending blood on the morning of the fourth, and arriving at Neels Gap. We are planning this trip for just after thanksgiving.

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice. Is this trip as planned possible? Do shuttles run to the terminus of the trail, or do I need to account for the approach trail to springer?

If this trip were for yourself, how would you modify the trip? Should it be done in 4 or 5 days? Would you shorten the trip to woody gap instead of Neels?

Thanks for all the advice.

I took my 11 year old from Three Forks to Big Cedar Mtn (and back to Woody Gap) the week of spring break last month. Trip report here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=349933&postcount=5

We did this (about 20 miles, including blue blazes and road hike in) in about 48 hrs...1 p.m. Wed to 1 p.m. Friday. Doing the whole section (about 30 miles) in 3 days is certainly doable for adults - as superman suggested, I'd bring an extra day's food, just because....

I'd plan on doing the entire section to Neel's Gap if you can. We were disappointed that we ran out of time and didn't get to go up over Blood Mtn and into Neel's Gap, but are excited about doing that another time....

Fred was very responsive for us - his contact info is in the trip report...

Steve

codpilot
05-09-2007, 12:23

Let's see. I did the approach trail (not including the 6 million step death march) to Neels in 3 days last May. I was in marginal shape and hadn't hiked in years! So 4 days without running into blisters and other such problems is a nice walk. Make sure you enjoy Stovers Creek and the falls - nice spot :)

I will say, years of the Florida flat lands does not prepare you for sassafrass - man that was "fun".

This year is Dick's creek north to ??? I've got three weeks, a totally revamped pack load and hopefully not the cold front misery that was last year (warm weather gear and a cold front - yeesh brrr)

If you haven't checked out the backpacking light theory I highly recommend it. My pack last year for both the AT and Philmont, without food was 35 pounds. :eek: This year, maybe 10 - probably closer to 8 pounds. When you figure that my backpack empty was 7.5 pounds - wow. This year I hope it is a nice stroll with 7 days of food, topping out at 25 pounds? yeehaw

Either way have a great walk :banana

scope
05-16-2007, 12:06

Have you read the reviews on staying at Blood Mt shelter? If I were you - and of course I'm not - but I would stay at Woods Hole shelter that last night. You'll still be able to get to Neels by a.m., even without leaving too early.

I assume you itenerary is something like Springer to Hawk Mt shelter, then to Gooch shelter, and from there to Blood or Woods Hole shelter. That should be a relatively easy hike, even the 12 miles the last full day.

Blissful
05-16-2007, 12:45
Have you read the reviews on staying at Blood Mt shelter? If I were you - and of course I'm not - but I would stay at Woods Hole shelter that last night.

Yeah, there is a resident skunk at Blood Mtn that likes hopping on hikers in the middle of the night. :)

briarpatch
05-16-2007, 13:00
Ditto on staying at Woods Hole, not only is there a resident skunk, but the roof is leaking in a few places, too.

cannonball
05-16-2007, 13:00
That is a very do able itenerary especially if you start from Springer and omit the approach trail.
I can't stress enough the shock of going from Fl. flat lands to north Ga. mountains. After winter hiking here on the FT then going up to the AT I huff and puff and get my house blown down every time. In addition to the steep grades there must be extra difficulty because of altitude.

Rain Man
05-16-2007, 13:26
The plan at the moment is to go from Springer to Blood Mountain shelter in 3 full days, descending blood on the morning of the fourth, and arriving at Neels Gap. We are planning this trip for just after thanksgiving. I would appreciate your suggestions and advice. ...

I did this exact hike in August 2003 with my daughter and two teenage boys. It was my first multi-night backpacking outing. We enjoyed ourselves! It was a relatively slow pace and we finished up each day by mid-afternoon or close to it. One day we did run low on water, but not so that it was a problem.

Here's a link to my trip report--
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11434

Rain:sunMan