PDA

View Full Version : 1st Night Out

Wanderingson
05-05-2007, 06:34
I was just a wee bit curious about something and figured I would bounce it off of everyone.

Whenever I go for an extended period without being in the outdoors (such as right now), my first night back out always tends to be a little interesting.

I'll explain it the best I can. I find it takes a little getting used to it after being away from it all. The silence, the sounds of the wind in the trees, the sounds of wildlife, the snap of a twig, the blackness without a headlamp. All the other factors that I love about the great outdoors.

Am I a freak when it comes to feeling just a little unsetteld on the first night back out or do other folks experience this as well? After that first night back out, I tend to sink right back into the pleasure and tranquillity of it all.

mudhead
05-05-2007, 06:39
I never sleep long the first night. My thermastat drops a good 10 degrees after 24hrs and another 5 the next day. (comfort level) I figure it takes a while to recover from daily junk and feel human.

Tipi Walter
05-05-2007, 08:00
Interesting thoughts. When I take people out backpacking I always have to remember their potential for "first night jitters" and plan accordingly. What I assume to be just more of the same(sleeping outside), they do not share and instead feel uncomfortable and nervous. When I first started living outdoors on a permanent basis, I noticed it took me around 3 good days to get used to it and get over the "what if?" feelings.

After years of living out there comes just the opposite reaction, the jitters associated with staying indoors and the perverse claustrophobia that comes with long term city living and house dwelling, hence the need for a permanent basecamp tent set up in the backyard. Does such a tent keep away the house and city jitters? Well, bag nights are what we are talking about here, and how long an outdoor loving person can go without bag nights. It's the old call of the wild, etc.

Once living out got into my blood I was hooked and eventually formulated an entire personal religion based on Nature, the forest, and my willingness to live out in such beauty.

Furlough
05-05-2007, 10:59
I am with you on this Wanderingson. I certainly seem to notice a lot more movement in the woods at night that first night out then I do on the nights to follow. The worst thing for me though is not the getting re-aclimated to being outdoors part. What bugs me the most is how long it takes me to get back into the swing of things in regards to camp chores and packing up the next morning. For me it is hard to get a good routine or flow back until I have been on the trail for 2 or 3 days. And after being away from it for more than a year now I hate to even think about how much re-adjustment I am going to have to go through.

Furlough

Kerosene
05-05-2007, 12:41
I don't really get jittery from being outside as much as my body and psyche aren't yet attuned to being outdoors all day and night long. I definitely don't sleep very well the first night or two, even though my body may be exhausted from a long day of hiking.

Like mudhead, my thermostat starts to adjust very quickly, to the point that I'm comfortable walking in shorts and T-shirt below 50F in a few days. After a week I find it difficult to sleep in heated rooms.

My appetite plummets after a few days and stays depressed for 10-14 days before kicking into high gear (although I haven't been out for more than 9 days in awhile, so maybe my older body with its slower metabolism won't crave as many calories as quickly).

Like Furlough, it takes me 3-4 days to get back to a reasonable camp regimen. It is s-o-o-o frustrating to take so long to break camp. It can take me almost 2 hours the first time, which drops to well under an hour by the end of the week.

My physical conditioning is usually pretty good since I stay active with soccer, cardio, and weightlifting. But it still takes me a consistent 3 days to get into my "stride". Before that point I always feel like a klutz.

My suggestion to allay those nighttime jitters a little is to put in a pair of good earplugs. That way you won't hear that moose whose about to step on your head while you're sleeping in your tent! :eek:

littlelaurel59
05-05-2007, 12:50
Am I a freak when it comes to feeling just a little unsetteld on the first night back out or do other folks experience this as well? After that first night back out, I tend to sink right back into the pleasure and tranquillity of it all.

I think your experience is quite common. I sleep poorly the first night out, marginally the second, and "like a baby" from then on. It is not "jitters." It is not the cold hard ground (I hammock). It is the change in routine and surroundings.

Toolshed
05-05-2007, 13:27
I have noticed I always sleep poorly the first night out because of the ground and it's impact on my body. Even with my thermarest, I get pressure points that caue me to roll over frequently, thus fiddling with my sleeping bag (and whatever hard stuffed item is subbing as pillow) for a moment, before finally drifting back off.
I now take 1,000 mgs of tylenol prior to sleeping and find that I don't roll over as muchand thereby sleep better and awaken less frequently.

Otherwise, I find a slight impact from my surroundings and wind/rain/snow or nearby traffic, with wind/strong gusts being the worst.

Appalachian Tater
05-05-2007, 17:54
Toolshed, do you have a Prolite 4? It's 1 1/2 thick and you won't bottom out on it. It is worth the few extra ounces to prevent the problems you're describing. I compromised with a short one to keep the weight down.

Toolshed
05-05-2007, 18:45
HI Tater.
I still use my old 25 year old Rust Oragne T-rest in cooler weather, but I did upgrade to the 3/4 length non-slip pad back about 10-12 years ago. It is the same thickness (1" thick, I think) - It was when the first non-slip thermarests showed up on the market. Green and brown.
Guess
I need to look at what is out there. 'Course, my t-rests and ridge rests are in great condition - It is hard to justify upgrading.

The Solemates
05-05-2007, 18:55
Interesting thoughts. When I take people out backpacking I always have to remember their potential for "first night jitters" and plan accordingly. What I assume to be just more of the same(sleeping outside), they do not share and instead feel uncomfortable and nervous. When I first started living outdoors on a permanent basis, I noticed it took me around 3 good days to get used to it and get over the "what if?" feelings.

After years of living out there comes just the opposite reaction, the jitters associated with staying indoors and the perverse claustrophobia that comes with long term city living and house dwelling, hence the need for a permanent basecamp tent set up in the backyard. Does such a tent keep away the house and city jitters? Well, bag nights are what we are talking about here, and how long an outdoor loving person can go without bag nights. It's the old call of the wild, etc.

Once living out got into my blood I was hooked and eventually formulated an entire personal religion based on Nature, the forest, and my willingness to live out in such beauty.

you are homeless?

Doctari
05-05-2007, 20:18
I sleep outside 2 of every 3 nights, (& every 3rd week: 5 nights in a row) so NO, it's not a problem getting back on the trail :p

Now, to me, sleeping inside is the odd thing.

Back in the "Old days" yes, it took a few nights out to get aclimated. But then I have always slept better outside, so it's never been that big a effort to switch over.

Yes, I hammock. :cool: No I won't preach "the gospel" :rolleyes:

Doctari.

moxie
05-05-2007, 22:58
On a regular trip on 3-10 days I have never noticed anything unusual about the first night. I hike alot, I enjoy it, have been doing it for years and see no big deal between first night and last. Now on a thru hike it is a different story. You are starting a really big adventure. Chances are if you are on the AT in March or April you will see many other potential thru hikers starting. You will check each other out, size each other up. You will see both well prepared and ill prepared, in shape and in really bad shape. You will meet people you will see again and again in the next several months and many you will never see again. I met one that turned back in the first mile and another that quit at the second road crossing. My first night at Hawk Mountain shelter there were so many hikers there it looked like a Ringling Brothers Circus. Some had trail names, others were given them and some went miles before getting them. I met Dances With Mice southbound on a section hike. One friend I met that night met me in Conn. but of the twenty or so people who stayed at the shelter that night I was the only one that actually made it and yes, we did keep in touch. Two women made it to Helen Georgia, a half dozen or so quit before the Smokies, several made it to Virginia and a real nice couple from England quit in New York. Illness and injuried took their toll. The first night was a wonderful experience. Comparing gear, watching tents set up for the first time. Watching folks learn to cook, comparing notes, I enjoyed it very much. During the first week in Georgia I made friends I still enjpy and keep in touch with today. I think the first night and even the first week of a thru hike is the most intresting and enjoyable of the whole adventure.

ed bell
05-06-2007, 01:16
Thanks, Moxie for the great post.:sun

Penne
05-06-2007, 08:44
...I think the first night and even the first week of a thru hike is the most intresting and enjoyable of the whole adventure.

Now that didn't make me want to walk away from finals and start my thru hike. 19 days until I'm South Bound!

Marta
05-06-2007, 15:06
Best wishes, Penne! Starting a SOBO is a rather different experience than what Moxie was describing. The crowds will probably not be there to amuse you and be amused by you, and share the experience with you. But you get to start with Katahdin and the 100-Mile Wilderness... It will be memorable in a different way.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Penne
05-06-2007, 21:36
Thanks Marta. I know there won't be many SOBO's on the trail, and I'm okay with that. I am looking forward to that first night and first week on the trail. It's hard to imagine what life on the trail will be like beyond that, but I'm ready for the adventure when it comes.

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 04:28
I may be weird, duh, but I always sleep better out there than in here. I think it's what you get used to.

Penne
05-16-2007, 10:58
I slept in my tent last night. It was on the front lawn, but I still expected to be listening to every small noise wondering what caused it. Instead I fell asleep to the sound of the brook that runs by our house. I woke up at some point to rain on my tent and woke up this morning around 7 to a very sunny morning. It was nice. I might be doing it again tonight.

Tipi Walter
05-16-2007, 18:12
I slept in my tent last night. It was on the front lawn, but I still expected to be listening to every small noise wondering what caused it. Instead I fell asleep to the sound of the brook that runs by our house. I woke up at some point to rain on my tent and woke up this morning around 7 to a very sunny morning. It was nice. I might be doing it again tonight.

This is what I'm talking about. Sleeping in a tent, even in the yard, is okay with me. Personally, I favor the lowly tent over a house or other dwelling, with the possible exception of a woodstove-heated Tipi.

Slosteppin
05-16-2007, 19:29
I recently got started backpacking again after 6 years of only dayhikes.
My first overnight was solo, my first time solo.
I expected to be awake all night listening for bears. Instead, I was asleep soon after sundown. I woke at 3 AM for an urgent call of nature. Got back in the bag and slept until 6 AM, just before sunup.

Two weeks later I went for 4 nights with a group, my first time backpacking with a group. Three nights we were spread out as if we were all alone. I slept just fine. The other night we had 3 tents and a hammock very close together, partly because of rain. This night I had trouble getting to sleep.
I don't understand and I don't have to, I just hope it continues.

Slosteppin

Nightwalker
05-21-2007, 02:34
My first few nights out, I sleep more hours to get rested up from being inside all of that stress. After a few days, I sleep only 6-7 hours, which is less than at home, yet I feel better. I really should sleep outside all of the time.

Sparky06
05-21-2007, 21:52
I can relate to the unsettled feeling the first night out. I think it's a comfort zone thing...I've always been fine if I'm camping with other people (or solo in a familiar location), but my first solo trip, I was definitely a bit jumpy, especially since it was a location I'd never hiked in before. Laugh if you will, but my ipod was worth its weight in gold to help me fall asleep! =D I got used to it, but usually still takes a day for me to chill out if I'm solo.

Skyline
05-21-2007, 21:58
My first night away from the familiarity of my own home, my own bed, etc. is typically one with intermittent sleep. Doesn't matter if it's in the woods, in a motel, on a train, or at the home of a friend. I think it's just the different surroundings that help keep me awake, maybe combined with excitement and noticing every little noise.

By night #2 I'm usually OK to sleep more soundly.