PDA

View Full Version : Will try again in 2008.

tomman
05-06-2007, 00:38
I tried to do a thru hike of the AT in 2007 but failed. I made a big mistake by not waiting until I was sure I was over the lung infection I had before I started. I had been on medication for about two weeks and had not worked out or done any hiking for well over a month. This all added to a failed hike.

I started running a very high fever the second day out and it took me 3 hours and 45 minutes to hike 1.3 miles to a road so I could get back to a town. I knew I was in trouble at this point so I went back to Dahlonega, GA to a motel for three days to see if I could get better with the medications I had with me. It did not work as I kept getting worse.

When I got back here to Garland, TX I had a very hard time getting to see a Doctor as the group I was going to had closed their office. I was able to find a new doctor and he is treating me. I have been back hone for two months and still have a lung infection. He has tried two different medications on me and neither has worked very well. He is trying to keep me out of the hospital but he does not have much hope at this point.

All of this is a warning to anyone who plans to hike in 2008. Make sure you are healthy and ready for the hike. Make sure you get your health checked out very well before you go. My doctor said he will get me ready for my 2008 Thru Hike of the AT.

With all that said I plan to start my hike over in March of 2008 but I will insure that I am ready this time. I will never give up my hope of hiking the trail.

I learned a lot about the trail in the short time I was out there. It really get under your skin and into you mind. I have dreamed about the trail every night since I left out there. I have already started reading books on the trail again and am trying everything I can to lighten my back weight with out endangering my self or my health on the trail.

Fort instance one thing I learned about food, do not take Pop Tarts as they are to heavy for the calories they contain. You can use oatmeal and instance breakfast and get more calories per weight.

Tom:D

Freeleo
05-07-2007, 11:42
good luck tom
jch

Cannibal
05-07-2007, 11:55
Get better soon; see you on the Trail in 08!

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 14:19
You didn't fail nothin'. You just fell down. Get back up and go again next year. If you buy into the "failure" BS, it'll eat you up. It happened to me in '04 when I came off with migraines, and it took me awhile to get over it. Then I realized: it's just a hike.

Remember the walk, not the end!