PDA

View Full Version : Getting custom gear made from idea.

Smile
05-06-2007, 16:09
Last year at the SoRuck, I had my .3 ounce headlamp set up that I made, and I want to mass produce them. I may be able to get them even lighter with a new design.

Any ideas on how to go about this? Anybody already have any connections?
:)

Smile
09-10-2007, 16:32
I just realized I posted this quite awhile ago. Does anybody have any info at this point?

Figured someone might know someone who might know.....

Mags
09-10-2007, 17:01
I just realized I posted this quite awhile ago. Does anybody have any info at this point?

Figured someone might know someone who might know.....

I wonder if the folks at backpackinglight.com, many of whom are cottage gear makers, may have some input?

Could be worth a shot. I know the website is subscription based; I am not sure about the message board forums.

Their is a Lightweight Backpacking group at Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/

May work well for similar reasons. Not as many gear makers, from what I can tell, frequent that forum. Could be worth a shot though.

zelph
09-10-2007, 17:07
Utilize your local "disabilities Center" for assembly of your item. Purchase the parts on ebay, local wholesale distributors etc. Contact your local Small Buisness Association for information on classes for "Small Buisnesses"

good luck, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained.

Comming Soon, "Cottage Industry Forum" on my soon to start website.

bullseye
09-10-2007, 17:30
Last year at the SoRuck, I had my .3 ounce headlamp set up that I made, and I want to mass produce them. I may be able to get them even lighter with a new design.

Any ideas on how to go about this? Anybody already have any connections?
:)

Any photos?

oops56
09-10-2007, 19:19
Utilize your local "disabilities Center" for assembly of your item. Purchase the parts on ebay, local wholesale distributors etc. Contact your local Small Buisness Association for information on classes for "Small Buisnesses"

good luck, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained.

Comming Soon, "Cottage Industry Forum" on my soon to start website.

Well its september were.

Joe8484
09-10-2007, 20:22
research venture capitalist or angel invester.

You will also need a designer and maybe an engineer. You might want to get a patent first! Only if your planning to make some $$$ though.

Some companies might be willing to do a joint venture type of thing.

Research manufactors in China as well!

Nearly Normal
09-10-2007, 21:42
"Research manufactors in China as well!"

Yes indeed.
Sweat shop labor is more betta.

Nearly Normal

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:52
Got some good leads here, will do, I had overlooked the local 'disabilities' workforce. A friend of mine uses them for mailings and other jobs, I will look into this option.

yes, I will send a photo :-) Let me take one tomorrow or so and pass it along.

zelph
09-11-2007, 10:15
Well its september were.

It's comming next week.

Have to get all my new stoves lined up for show and tell.

Have to make stoves for free gifts.

Loading up on bananas:banana :banana

Just kidding, there will be no bananas:confused: what will I do? How will I express my happiness? Oh dear, oh my!!!!!! :welcome

Smile, for sure try the Disabillities route for assembly. Make a hundred or so and sell them here and on ebay to get a feel for the market. List them in the Cottage Industry section of Zelph's Stoveworks

jesse
09-11-2007, 10:35
There is a huge difference between developing a product, and starting a business. The biggest hurdle a business like this faces is advertising and distribution. Getting the product known, and having people know where they can find it.
Forget the patent. It cost too much money, and if someone copies your design it will cost more money to pursue them in court.
Venture capitalist are not intrested in any deal less then $5 Million.
I would not reccommend any type of loan.

I would suggest making the lamps and selling them on e-bay. Also contact some of the outfitters, (mountian Crossings, mt rogers, etc) that cater to the ultra light crowd. Big retailers like Dicks are not going to be interseted in dealing with you.
One thing to consider. If you use specialty outfitters, you are going to have to sell them at wholesale. You do not want to be under cutting them on e-bay. Also you will have to waranty the product. Make sure you make enough to cover that. Above all else, build a quality product. Nobody wants junk no matter how lite it is.
Good luck