PDA

View Full Version : I need help with tick repellent for dog.

hootyhoo
05-06-2007, 21:41
I pulled over thirty ticks off my dog from this weekends hike in Citico and Joyce Kilmer. I am afraid to put the drops on him, but I have to do something. I have heard that a tick and flea collar called Tick Detach Works very well and is safer than the chemicals in frontline. But I am seeking advice. He is a 50 pound Golden Retriever, 7 months old. I want to keep the ticks off, but I also want to do what is best for him. Thanks
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6055&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032960&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1178501733388&itemNo=11&Ntt=flea+collar&In=All&previousText=flea+collar&N=2 (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6055&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032960&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1178501733388&itemNo=11&Ntt=flea+collar&In=All&previousText=flea+collar&N=2)

Nightwalker
05-06-2007, 21:55
I am sorry to hear about your fear of the drops. I use Sargent's (sp?) drops and 7-month collar, and my dog is flea- and tick-free.

There is some danger to any artificial chemical that we use, but there is a danger to all of life. I chose to take the risk of the chemicals as opposed to the sure danger of the ticks and fleas. Your choice is your choice, but I'd rather my dog not get eaten alive by the parasites.

Respectfully,
Frank Looper/Nightwalker

Rouen
05-07-2007, 01:11
you could try revolution, it's a multi-purpose topical.
http://www.revolution4dogs.com/content.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RV&species=CN&sec=100

everyone says frontline is the best for keeping ticks off though :-?

oldfivetango
05-07-2007, 07:47
I heard you could sell that puppy for 10 grand if he is
a highly trained huntin' dawg!:D
Oldfivetango

NICKTHEGREEK
05-07-2007, 07:50
I heard you could sell that puppy for 10 grand if he is
a highly trained huntin' dawg!:D
Oldfivetango
The ticks may have some value to add as well.

mudhead
05-07-2007, 10:35
In SC I bought some natural tick shampoo from a woman who told me if it didn't work well enough to use a tiny pinch of 5% Sevin dust down his hackles. I thought the same you are as you read this. Works great. Only time we had peace from the ticks. Used about a 1/16 teaspoon on a 20lb mutt.

If use use drops, read the fine print. It was long ago, but the stuff I tried washed out. It also required latex gloves for application. The excess salivation thing is no joke and will kick in just as some company appears.

The arachnidcide collars I have seen are pretty vile. Google before you buy. I figure if I can smell it thru the foil-seal wrapper, I don't want it.

10% Sevin is for plants only, do not use on any livestock/housepet.

Do ticks suck or what!

peanuts
05-07-2007, 10:41
all my dogs have been on frontline plus, since it came out on the market. no problems for the dogs and no gloves required and it is waterproof. no fleas not ticks!!!! just my .02. worth.!!

mudhead
05-07-2007, 10:45
Soapproof too? How about the slobber factor? I'll never forget that!

peanuts
05-07-2007, 10:50
never had slobber factor! and i do bathe them every month without skipping protection!

mudhead
05-07-2007, 10:58
Chemistry! Gotta love it...

Must be some holistic-type thing for people out there.

If you ever had the slobber thing, you would remember it.

I have tried to find ticks place in the eco-system, but have been unable too.
Something must eat them, but I don't think it lives in Maine.

leeki pole
05-07-2007, 10:59
My vet says frontline (or a generic) is still the best. I treat my Chesapeake Bay Retriever, fiest and dachshund every month. The ticks are horrible here this year. They still get some crawlers on them, but when we pull them off, the ticks are already dead. So far, so good. Vet says 48 hours after treatment, dogs are waterproof, so I don't work my Chessie until after that in the pond. 5% Sevin around the backyard perimiter and (non-colored) cedar mulch helps out as well.

Rouen
05-08-2007, 00:47
another idea.. it's not water proof but in place of the seven dust you could try diatomaceous earth(DE), food grade is 90% safe and 100% safe to ingest, the 10% thats not safe is inhailing it, you probly wont die from it but you could end up with thousands of microscopic slivers in your air way, some say it also works against intestinal parasites but that has yet to be proven.

Jonesy
05-13-2007, 23:24
You might be looking for a more long term solution but I thought this might pique your interest anyhow:

http://www.allterrainco.com/catalog_i3794547.html?catId=157248

I've never tried it but I'd like to hear how it works if you do use it...

Smile
05-14-2007, 03:17
Pennyroyal. Mix one part pennyroyal, with 3 parts water or basic oil base ( like almond) and spray on at the roots. Works on people too, and you smell like roses a bit :)

Uncle Silly
05-14-2007, 15:41
I'm a Frontline Plus fan. good for the fleas and the ticks. i'd prefer not to use anything, or to do it holistically, but i haven't found anything that works as well as easily... and not using anything just leads to fleas in my house. :-/

frieden
05-14-2007, 17:33
Pennyroyal. Mix one part pennyroyal, with 3 parts water or basic oil base ( like almond) and spray on at the roots. Works on people too, and you smell like roses a bit :)

Be careful, pennyroyal oil can be deadly, if ingested. We may not lick everything off of our skin, but dogs do.

geobri
05-14-2007, 18:11
I use frontline and have never heard of people having problems with it. Why don't you want to use it?

Gaiter
05-24-2007, 16:33
Frontline is chemically not much different from a flea and tick collar, its just in a oil based form so it covers your dog better and stays on longer, as a groomer i can tell you first hand that frontline or revolution is much more effective than any flea&tick collar.
There were many dog owners that would bring in a dog to me wanting a flea and tick dip, but that is old technology and horrible for the dog, the best thing is a capstar (oral pill quick-kill for fleas and ticks) followed by a good bath, then frontline 2 days later. Also vacumn your house w/ a bag vacumn cleaner and throw out the bag, and if your dog spends a good amount of time in the yard, treat that as well.
thats the basic flea & tick speech that the vet i worked for had us to memorize

as always when hiking w/ a dog w/ flea and tick protection, check yourself more often for ticks, ticks will still jump on a dog, they just won't stay on the dog, and might crawl over to you.

leeki pole
05-24-2007, 17:04
Frontline is chemically not much different from a flea and tick collar, its just in a oil based form so it covers your dog better and stays on longer, as a groomer i can tell you first hand that frontline or revolution is much more effective than any flea&tick collar.
There were many dog owners that would bring in a dog to me wanting a flea and tick dip, but that is old technology and horrible for the dog, the best thing is a capstar (oral pill quick-kill for fleas and ticks) followed by a good bath, then frontline 2 days later. Also vacumn your house w/ a bag vacumn cleaner and throw out the bag, and if your dog spends a good amount of time in the yard, treat that as well.
thats the basic flea & tick speech that the vet i worked for had us to memorize

as always when hiking w/ a dog w/ flea and tick protection, check yourself more often for ticks, ticks will still jump on a dog, they just won't stay on the dog, and might crawl over to you.
I'll second that..they much prefer me to my dogs!:cool:

SunnyWalker
05-27-2007, 00:23
I just give the dog a kick, that seems to repel him/her. Just kidding!!!!!!!!!
-SunnyWaker

trlhiker
05-28-2007, 20:18
I use Frontline on all three of my dogs and have never seen a flea or tick on them in the 7 years that we have used the stuff.

tekiechick
06-06-2007, 08:37
My vet said to never EVER use Sergents or Hartz. He produced study after study showing that both products are dangerous to animals.

jettjames
06-10-2007, 00:12
I am using Revolution and the tick coller that came with it and have not found one tick on bella in 10-13 days. it is flea, tick and heart worm all in one. Bella is a long haired tick magnet too!

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2007, 03:29
Dogs get Lyme Disease, too. Please talk to your veterinarian regarding his tick exposure.

Also consider whether or not you should unnecessarily expose your dog to such a debilitating disease. It is difficult to ensure that you have removed all of the ticks because of his fur.

He has no say in the matter and you must be responsible in regards to his health.

birdygal
07-15-2007, 11:38
I am using Revolution and the tick coller that came with it and have not found one tick on bella in 10-13 days. it is flea, tick and heart worm all in one. Bella is a long haired tick magnet too!

Does this really work for fleas. We have 6 dogs and live totally surrounded by Woods we really have a horrible time with fleas and ticks. We have come accross the paralying ticks once on one of our dogs. I have tried Frontline and it did not work for our dogs. We have one dog who is allergic to fleas. Our dogs are on Heartguard. I started using the dip and it works but almost killed one of my small dogs in the process they lick themselves too much. I can't use that on them.

RiverWarriorPJ
07-15-2007, 11:43
"Advantage" from the vet....<~~Flea & Tick free for 2 years..

boarstone
07-15-2007, 13:58
Does this really work for fleas. We have 6 dogs and live totally surrounded by Woods we really have a horrible time with fleas and ticks. We have come accross the paralying ticks once on one of our dogs. I have tried Frontline and it did not work for our dogs. We have one dog who is allergic to fleas. Our dogs are on Heartguard. I started using the dip and it works but almost killed one of my small dogs in the process they lick themselves too much. I can't use that on them.

Has your vet not explained to you that you have to start inside the home with pet and house and work out to spray/sprinkle what ever he/she tells you to do to rid yard of ticks/fleas? Your best defense is in your yard 's offense.

Monkeyboy
07-15-2007, 23:03
My vet said to stay away from Revolution for dogs....it's effective for cats, but not very proven with dogs.

Revolution is flea/tick/heartworm prevention.

Frontline and Advantage both have a Plus series that also does flea/tick/heartworm all in one. Both proven effective.

birdygal
07-16-2007, 15:37
If you have to deflea your yard then the claim that it works is pretty lame isn't it.

They don't need it if there is no fleas where they go

I can't deflea and de tick 17 acres of woods. I have no desire to remove trees around my Log home either

shelterbuilder
07-16-2007, 22:28
I pulled over thirty ticks off my dog from this weekends hike in Citico and Joyce Kilmer. I am afraid to put the drops on him, but I have to do something. I have heard that a tick and flea collar called Tick Detach Works very well and is safer than the chemicals in frontline. But I am seeking advice. He is a 50 pound Golden Retriever, 7 months old. I want to keep the ticks off, but I also want to do what is best for him. Thanks

Frontline.

You don't say if the dog is an indoor dog or an outdoor dog, but in either case, you should probably spray the house and take the dog for an all-day excursion somewhere (to let the spray do it's work). Then vacuum the house and toss the bag right away. If the dog is an outdoor dog, get some cedar chips to use as bedding in the doghouse (you can stuff the dog's indoor bed with these as well). The biting critters don't like the smell of the cedar. (I've heard some folks say that cedar chips are toxic if ingested, but we've not had any problems with our huskies for 20 years now.)

Good luck.

7Sisters
07-19-2007, 16:25
I've used frontline plus on both our dogs and we've been fine. They are both getting older now, but the Lab has spent several hundred miles with me on the AT. I have fiound it very effective.

frieden
07-22-2007, 09:48
If you have to deflea your yard then the claim that it works is pretty lame isn't it.

They don't need it if there is no fleas where they go

I can't deflea and de tick 17 acres of woods. I have no desire to remove trees around my Log home either

We just started using Frontline Plus, since ticks are such an issue here. We can't use Advantix, because Ed has cats (it is dangerous to cats). It seems to be working ok so far.

You shouldn't have to cut trees to control fleas and ticks, just keep grass short, and bushes trimmed around the house. No, you can't spray 17 acres for fleas. Well, you could, but it wouldn't be advisable.

Daily brushing, in combination with Frontline Plus and a bath once/month, seems to be working well for Ed. The flea and tick problem wouldn't be so bad here, if people would actually take care of their dogs, and stop letting them roam loose. There are packs of dogs and cats running loose here, and you can see the fat ticks hanging all over them. It's really sad.

SawnieRobertson
07-22-2007, 10:23
Get Advantix and stop worrying, that is, if you sleep with your dog.--Kinnickinic

cowboy nichols
08-17-2007, 11:30
If you live in the country get some guinea fowl , They will range over an area and keep it tick free. It is best to start with chicks , keep them in an inclose area until adult so they will stay in area. Feed some scratch feed once day best in the evening as that keeps them close at night .They prefer to roost in trees at nite, We had 15 to start and they cleared about 20 acres of ticks, this was in a heavey tick area. A plus ,they are great watch birds as they will sound out an alarm at any intruders.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2007, 00:06
Frontline is great - and if you want to really put your dog at ease on the trail - Ok here goes - Grab a spray can and lightly squirt Deep Woods Off near the tail and lower body, but not on the as.. Save that thought for late summer but not during the cooler times.

My dogs are happy!

Adam B
09-30-2007, 10:47
Hey, I use revolution as a monthly preventitive and it is the best I have used. When I am taking Timber into severe tick or other biting insect terrority I use permethrin. I can post dosages later but at the end of the day it works like a charm. I place it no more often then once a month and Timber's dose is roughly 2.5g. I use 1g/1ml permethrin technical liquid available through compounding pharmacists.

It costs 100 canadian for 100g. Fairly inexpensive but please remember do not use other preperations of permethrin because it isn't pure and don't mix permethrin products like spot on, hartz and advantix with your regular flea/ tick treatments. Do not use flea collars with this product and do not use around or on cats. It will kill cats. You don't want more then one insect growth regulator and one repellent. Do not use DEET on the dog. Please discuss this with your vet and read the instructions/msds etc.

Adam

Appalachian Tater
09-30-2007, 13:37
Remember that dogs can suffer from Lyme-like tick-borne disease that can cause serious permanent physical damage. If your dog has had exposure, you may wish to talk to your vet about the possible need for treatment or testing or at least an exam for signs of disease.