PDA

View Full Version : Mileage Spreadsheet

dreamer
09-15-2003, 23:26
Does anyone have a spreadsheet that lists all the shelters and mileages between shelters? Thanks

dreamer

Groucho
09-16-2003, 01:10
Try this link. (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/at.php)

At the bottom of the page is a list of the AT states. Click on one for mileage points at shelters and towns. I don't know how complete the lists are.

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Don
09-16-2003, 11:56
I have a couple of different spreadsheets with mileages and various features. I will be happy to share them with you. However, I will not vouch for their completeness or accuracy. At least one is based on 3 year old data and I know a couple of shelters are missing. Trail relocations and so forth mean that it is not accurate.

Still, if you, or anyone else, wants them, send me an e-mail address to which I can forward them. But don't hold me accountable for acurracy.....

I actually have them in a Stats Package (SPSS) but can convert them to Excel or Lotus with a click....

dreamer
09-16-2003, 15:42
Don,

I was just browsing through your homepage and found an excel spreadsheet labeled shelters, is this the spreadsheet? If not I will send you a PM with my email address. Thank you VERY much.

Don
09-16-2003, 18:04
Don't know....don't recall posting it.....I'll have to check tomorrow... send me an address and I'll just ship them all out to you...

dreamer
09-17-2003, 00:04
I sent you my email address via PM. Thanks again.

Don
09-17-2003, 09:09
Dreamer....sent out.... I checked my site and, lo and behold, I had uploaded four of the spreadsheets. I will put the 5th one up shortly....

Anyone may access these at:
http://ubmail.ubalt.edu/~dhaynes/at_hike/

click on the link to LEARN MORE ABOUT THE TRAIL.

Keep in mind that the data is old, comes from different sources that disagree about total mileage, and may have serious omissions due to trail relocations, shelter closings, and so forth.... Still, its easier to edit existing data than re-enter it from scratch! Hope anyone who uses it finds it useful. I would greatly appreciate an e-mail informing me when you download it....

Lone Wolf
09-17-2003, 09:15
Get the AT Data book.

dreamer
09-17-2003, 10:48
Yes, I have the AT data book and a number of the other AT guides for all the different states but didn't want to enter ALL the info into a spreadsheet from scratch. I want to have a overall spreadsheet to leave with my family that they can follow my progress and I can build a tentative hiking schedule.

Thanks Don, I will be sure to double check the mileages and accuracy of the shelters with my guide books and when the final updated spreadsheet is completed I can email you a copy if you'd like.

dreamer

JimSproul
09-17-2003, 11:13
Don -

Thanks for making that availale. You are right, much better to start with something. Amazon has the 2003 Data Book available.

:D