PDA

View Full Version : Must be nice to hike ... some of us have jobs.

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 15:47
So how often do you get outdoors and how long to do spend there?

Tabasco
05-07-2007, 16:02
4 or 5 weekend trips, of the 2 or 3 day variety, plus one 8 or 9 day trip per year.

Planning for 6 month leave of absence in 2013 for a thru

Blister
05-07-2007, 16:05
I have a job, actually a couple. I save up as much money as I can, hike, pile up debt, pay it off then do it all over again. I have been averaging a long distance hike about every 5 years.

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 16:09
8-10 days a month.

Hey, it keeps me from annoying you guys so much!

mweinstone
05-07-2007, 16:36
i got 89 nights on the trail since my last attempt in feb 06. 67 days to perisburg.

Cedar Tree
05-07-2007, 16:39
A job? Why do you want a job? You got your health.

Raising Arizona

CT

Mags
05-07-2007, 17:59

Never enough...

:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2007, 19:01
Retired, but have to schedule the hikes between doc appointments; grandkids and great-grandkids birthdays, graduations, concerts, sporting events; and when I can drag the male dino away from his other wife (the table saw).

Tipi Walter
05-07-2007, 19:02
A job? Why do you want a job? You got your health.

Raising Arizona

CT

I think it's: "You're young, you've got your health, what do you want with a job?"

BigwaveDave
05-07-2007, 19:54
2 times a week I hike a trail less than 1-4 mile from the house. Once every month or two do a 2 or 3 day trip down to Eglin or the Blackwater. I get 5 weeks paid leave so it helps. April 2008 spending a month on the AT. 2014 when I retire I will tru hike it. In between I'll do sections every year. All who wander are not lost

aaroniguana
05-07-2007, 20:17
I get a weekend day two or three times per month, usually at 10 or so miles Patapsco State Park, one or two weekend trips per year, and this is in addition to camping in various places on our holidays, 10-14 days every summer at Pennsic, Presidents Day Weekend caving in WV, OTR week in WV in early fall, and the occasional long weekend canoe trip from Harper's Ferry. I'm a sole proprietary contractor. I work as much as I want when I want. Or not.

Eh. It's a living.

Topcat
05-07-2007, 20:24
i try to do 4-5 weekend trips and one of a week every year. I want to do more and plan on increasing time out as the next 4 years move towards my thru attempt

rafe
05-07-2007, 20:25
Since the weather's improved, I've managed two short (~15 mile) overnight bike-hikes over the last three weekends on the MA mid-state trail.

I probably will need to spend a few weekends at home doing stuff around the house, though.

Namaste
05-07-2007, 21:01
I guess I'm lucky to have backpacking as a part of my job-in the summer, that is.

The rest of the year it's limited to a few 2/3 nighters.

Cannibal
05-07-2007, 22:05
This is where being a banker comes in handy. 11 paid holidays a year; 14 paid sick days a year; and 15 vacation days a year. All I have to do in trade is wear a darn neck tie when I am in the office.

Skidsteer
05-07-2007, 22:33
This is where being a banker comes in handy. 11 paid holidays a year; 14 paid sick days a year; and 15 vacation days a year. All I have to do in trade is wear a darn neck tie when I am in the office.

Ahem.

I trust you meant damn necktie, which is proper use of the English language and an apt description.

Similes: Damn bra, damn high heels, damn condoms, damn handcuffs, etc, etc......

Unless of course your ties are knitted.

Phreak
05-07-2007, 22:45
I'm lucky - my wife is the bread winner and supports my backpacking habit. I get out an average of 10-12 days per month.

ed bell
05-07-2007, 23:27
This is where being a banker comes in handy. 11 paid holidays a year; 14 paid sick days a year; and 15 vacation days a year. All I have to do in trade is wear a darn neck tie when I am in the office.As a fellow Whiteblazer, would you loan me a few thousand at no interest for 6-8 months?:D

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 23:29
I'm lucky - my wife is the bread winner and supports my backpacking habit. I get out an average of 10-12 days per month.

Better be sweet to her. I appreciate mine to no end.

Life is sweet with a sweet wife, eh? You and I are blessed with 'em, and the fact that we get to go out so much and hike is just icing on the cake. :)

Skyline
05-07-2007, 23:30
Try for at least two weekends or longer per month, plus a couple week-long hikes. Usually in SNP, Grayson, or other points in the Southeast.

Tennessee Viking
05-08-2007, 01:55
Being in NE Tennessee, I have a 30 minute drive of several sections of the AT, as well as MT Rogers/Pisgah/Cherokee Forests. So finding a day hike is no problem for me. I usually go on at least two day hikes or AT Maintainence hikes a week. Depending on my schedule, I can even do a small 2-3 hour hike before work.

If you hiked East Tennessee, name it and I probably hiked it.

steve43
05-08-2007, 07:36
its an old joke, but .... the three best reasons to be a teacher are june, july and august....

for 9 1/2 months a year i put in 50+ hours a week, not including attending classes for renewal credit, but the payoff is plenty of time in the summer for long hikes, long bike rides and long canoe trips...

"I never let school interfere with my education." Mark Twain

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 08:20
its an old joke, but .... the three best reasons to be a teacher are june, july and august....

To bad the good old days are over where you can't beat the kids anymore, that would be a fourth best reason!

Lilred
05-08-2007, 13:02
I get out once a year for 4-6 weeks. Leaving the 27th for my next trip. :) Plus I get out for a couple of overnighters a year and several day hikes.

Darwin again
05-08-2007, 14:46
Ahem. Similes: Damn bra, damn high heels, damn condoms, damn handcuffs, etc, etc...... Unless of course your ties are knitted.

A similie is a comparison using "like" or "as."
"Similar usages" or "similitudes" would an appropriate categorization of your damned examples.

Sililarly, the Latin for "like" is "similis."
To wit: Gustatus Similis Pullus (Latin for "Tastes like chicken.")
That is all.

I'll go back to counting carpet fibers now...

Cannibal
05-08-2007, 15:03
Skidsteer, I didn't know if little kiddies were around, but yes I meant damn. Actually I can think of a few other choice words for ties, but I'll keep it PG-13 rated.

Ed Bell, get your application in quick! I won't be a banker when I really become a Whiteblazer next March. I'll probably miss my ties by the time I've hauled 20+ pounds thru a couple of states.:-?

Pennsylvania Rose
05-08-2007, 15:16
I take two 5-7 day trips each year (spring and fall break), several two day trips, and day hike 2 times a week or so. Wish I could spend my summers off on a two month hike but small children and a non-hiking husband prevent that.

Footslogger
05-08-2007, 15:29

=================================

I think about it a lot ...does that count ?

But seriously, once the weather breaks a bit we're generally up in the mountains surrounding Laramie at least one weekend a month. Plus over the past 3 years we've gone back east and re-hiked sections of the AT. This August it's gonna be Rangely to Monson ...with a quick jump up to Katahdin for a celebratory summit to cap off the trip.

'Slogger

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 15:04
Gustatus Similis Pullus (Latin for "Tastes like chicken.")

I wonder if that's been taken as a 2007 B'ville trailius namius at TDz?

LIhikers
05-09-2007, 15:18
My wife and I both love to backpack so we usually go when we both can get off, although, we've both gone solo occasionally. Most years it's a 5 to 7 day trip around April, about half a dozen long wekends, plus a 1 to 2 week new section on the AT. This August we'll be finishing MA and continuing north into VT.

I have a job I just love and won't quit to do a thru hike. But if I ever loose that job I'll be loading my pack and heading to one end of the AT, or the other, depending on the month it is.

The Solemates
05-09-2007, 16:06
I work about 60 hrs a week usually, and am blessed to be under superiors that recognize my hard work and turn the other way when I take more than the alloted vacation my company allows. I'd say I average 5-6 days a month in the out-of-doors. I say out-of-doors because I do more than backpack. I enjoy all outdoor activities.

sarbar
05-09-2007, 16:14
On an update, I left my job in late March. Haven't missed it yet ;) Don't think I ever will.
I do have a husband that indulges me. But the deal was if I stayed back at home I needed to do something with my days. So I have been working on my side business, and since I actually have time, I am actually doing something with it for once.
So now I am spending a good portion of my days sewing outdoor gear. I claim that all my time online is for "reasearch". Yeah, that is the answer!
But we are doing good enough that I probably won't have to go find another job.
And for the most part, I can now leave when I want. My husband doesn't mind packing orders and shipping them for me. On weekends, the orders just pile up till Monday.
So yes, Someone has a LOT of free time for hiking. I hiked 3 days this week so far, and am going backpacking this weekend, as I did last weekend.
If I play it right, I might even get to write off some mileage for "gear testing" :D