PDA

View Full Version : Travel and Food

TomScanlan
05-07-2007, 16:53
I'm planning on arriving at Katahdin Stream in BSP on june 1 and start up to the peak on the morning of June 2.

Right now, I'm just trying to sort out travel arrangements. I've got too many choices! I can take amtrak or a rental car into Bangor, take the bus to Medway, then cab or shuttle to the park or Millinocket. Or, take a plane to Portland, then taxi to the bus to Bangor. With all the possible time conflicts in between travel points, I may ned to try arriving on May 31 instead of June 1. Any thoughts?

An additional twist... should I bring 10-12 days of food with me from home, or pick it up in Millinocket or Medway on the way?

If anyone in the New York City to Maine path needs a ride at the same time, I'd prefer to rent a car and pick up folks as I go up to Bangor.

mountain squid
05-07-2007, 17:05
Check out Ole Man and NaviGator in Millinocket (http://appalachiantraillodge.com/). I'm sure they can help with logistics...and Good Luck!!!

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
mt squid

Marta
05-07-2007, 20:47
An additional twist... should I bring 10-12 days of food with me from home, or pick it up in Millinocket or Medway on the way?

I brought mine with me, figuring I wanted to reduce the number of chores I had to do when I arrived in Maine.

Marta/Five-Leaf

hikerchris
05-10-2007, 11:43
You can get an Amtrak ticket and bus ticket at the same time on the Amtrak website, which will get you to Bangor. From there perhaps the AT Trail Lodge in Millinocket can give you a shuttle ride.

I'm not sure I would bring that much food along. Go with five or six and resupply at White House Landing.

TomScanlan
05-13-2007, 11:47
Thanks guys. I'm looking into the amtrak/bus trip with a shuttle and possible stay with the lodge. I will be bringing at least 10 days of food, as I'm trying to limit my need for re-supply in general. I prefer to use that time walking instead of poking around stores :)