PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Dirty Harry
11-28-2007, 02:21
Hit Man Im not shure I remember you, I know I was hiking with one or two people from florida, but i will be lookin for ya on the trail.

Nevalost
11-30-2007, 18:32
SANE???? what sane person would want to go hike in the wood for aprox six months?????? Embrace the insanity and be free.

HEHE, yes good point! By way of getting in some training I have started embracing anything that comes near me, so beware! :)

Nevalost
11-30-2007, 18:34
There are those of us sane enough to use a teleporting machine:rolleyes:.

Kirby, don't think I will be able to carry enough batterys to power a teleport machine :( will just have to walk *sulks*

Stickbuilt
11-30-2007, 23:36
Direction: NOBO
Start Date: Late March

Like the rest of you, I am really excited to start the thru hike adventure this Spring. I have been planning this for the last five years and was finally able to get the time off from work. Better to do it now while I still can. Every year brings another new ache or pain.

Been hiking the AT in MD, VA and PA for last couple of years and can't wait to see the rest of the trail.

I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail this year.

warraghiyagey
11-30-2007, 23:42
Start Date: Late March

Like the rest of you, I am really excited to start the thru hike adventure this Spring. I have been planning this for the last five years and was finally able to get the time off from work. Better to do it now while I still can. Every year brings another new ache or pain.

Been hiking the AT in MD, VA and PA for last couple of years and can't wait to see the rest of the trail.

I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail this year.

Welcome. :welcome Hope to see you on the trail as well. Any chance your in the building trade??

Stickbuilt
12-01-2007, 08:31
Not full time. Our family has a tradition that each member builds their own home. We help each other during labor intensive sections. I finished mine in 1991.

Mad Hatter 08
12-01-2007, 20:06
90 days left for those of us starting March 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nest
12-02-2007, 00:01
90 days left for those of us starting March 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that means 103 days for me. Didn't realize I was so close to the double digits.

longwe tru
12-02-2007, 17:01
Mountain
I am starting on the 17th of March...if you could update my start.

Thanks

longwe tru

jafrost
12-03-2007, 07:10
Hello. I finally joined the "WB." Lots of good info here, thanks. I will start my nobo thru-hike on March 8, 2008 using the Approach Trail. I don't have a trail name yet; my real name may be good enough.

I've dreamed of doing the AT for a long, long time now. I was going to start THIS year, but a family illness forced me to postpone my trip. I did manage to do the 800-mile Arizona Trail in ten weeks last year at this time, so I'm no stranger to long distance hiking and drought conditions.

See you on the trail,
Jack Frost

wtmntcaretaker
12-03-2007, 14:03
How are people getting to the trail head and to Georgia. I am coming from NH and was wondering what others are spending and how others are getting down there?

Kirby
12-03-2007, 14:20
How are people getting to the trail head and to Georgia. I am coming from NH and was wondering what others are spending and how others are getting down there?

You can fly to Atlanta, take the train from Atlanta to the northernmost train station in Georgia, and then have the Hiker Hostel pick you up.

Kirby

wtmntcaretaker
12-03-2007, 14:23
what is the cheapest flightyou have found. the cheapest I found was $300

Daddy-O
12-03-2007, 15:15
Still trying to figure this thing out.

My son and I are starting our thru mid march 2008. Figure on March 11 - 17. We will be taking the approach trail. We are from Winston Salem, NC and have hiked the last 3 years getting ready for this trip.

I am 51 years old and taking early retirement (not really retiring, just getting out). Patrick (goes by trail name Peacock) graduated from
Appalachian State University a year ago.

Please put me down for class of 2008. I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail and learning a thing or two.

StupidMonkey
12-03-2007, 15:50
Trail Name: TBD(I like the thought of another Thru-Hiker giving me my name so I dont do somthing stupid like call myself *McLuvin*)

Start Date: Late Feb-early March?? Still looking for more input from Thru-Hikers, I want to be able to go straight through without worrying about park closings but dont want to get caught up into to big a crowd.

Approach Trail: Sure

Hey guys and gals, My names Mike I'm 25 years old, single, somewhat crazy, ex-Marine, live in Cumming, GA. ummmm yeah thats about it.....Laters:banana

Kirby
12-03-2007, 18:04
what is the cheapest flightyou have found. the cheapest I found was $300

I am not doing that, but use Expedia, or something like that, and keep checking for a period of a couple of days. Once you find a price you like, book the ticket. Call the hostel and tell them your plans so they know.

Kirby

Johnny Thunder
12-03-2007, 18:07
I am not doing that, but use Expedia, or something like that, and keep checking for a period of a couple of days. Once you find a price you like, book the ticket. Call the hostel and tell them your plans so they know.

Kirby

It's a little early to look for flights. Airlines will gouge you up front or gouge you last minute. If you look at comperable flights leaving to Atlanta in late January or early February you should see the prices drop.

From Philly I know I can get a ticket at 89 if I wait a few more weeks. Otherwise, I'd pay 160 if I booked now.

wtmntcaretaker
12-03-2007, 20:03
I found an overnight trip on amtrak for $131. but K thunder you are right I will keep looking through Jan and Feb and see if the prices drop.

powerfulpete
12-03-2007, 20:37
Probably donkeylegs
Starting Feb 13th
NOBO
Approach Trail

Unemployed, with no desire to find a job until I've done the AT and CDT (via mountain bike). Early start due to wanting to start the CDT late July, provided the body isn't worn out by then.

scavenger
12-03-2007, 23:34
Trail Name: tbd
Direction: goin north
Start Date : mid march

Im from coastal VA, 22 with no commitments that can keep me from disappearing into the woods for several months. See you on the trail.

whitelightning
12-04-2007, 21:50
Trail Name: TBD

Start Date: March 15th

I've been planning this trip for almost a year. I've been wanting to do this since I was a kid. Now seems to be the right time to do it. See you on the trail.

lazerzade
12-06-2007, 00:47
Macaroni Kid
NOBO
Starting March 20th (if I can wait that long)
Approach trail? Should I?

Smile
12-06-2007, 00:54
The Approach trail is not officially part of the A.T. Save your feet and start at FS42 :)

mcrabaugh
12-08-2007, 09:52
I will be thru hiking as "Five Stones" NOBO, starting March 15th accessing the trail via USFS 42. As a Construction Manager, I reside all over the US, but hail from Fort Worth, TX primarily. I am also a novice in communicating in this forum, but I've never thru hiked either. It's all good!!!

Montego
12-08-2007, 15:19
Hey, welcome to WhiteBlaze mcrabaugh :welcome

There's a lot of fine ppl here that will provide good information if you need it. Have a great hike!

chiefdaddy
12-08-2007, 15:30
March 1st NoBo :D Just in case I didn't do this already!

solace
12-08-2007, 16:07
Our 2nd Attempt at a NOBO THRU begins MARCH 6th, 2008
We will take Amtrak to Gainesville, GA as always...
looking forward class of 08!

KTR & SOLACE
(The TWINS from New Hampshire)

Smile
12-08-2007, 16:09
Are you both hiking?

Hope you had a great winter, have fun out there! You were a positive breath of fresh air amidst many whining hikers in 06 :)

solace
12-08-2007, 16:18
Yeah :) We will bot be going together! Its our 5th straight year on the AT, but 2nd THRU Attempt... WE'll hold up in Franklin as always a couple weeks to do the APRIL FOOLS HIKER BASH w/ Ron Haven late March, early April... will you be out ?

Smile
12-08-2007, 16:29
Excellent, hope you two have a great hike. May see you in Franklin :)

grumpypickle
12-08-2007, 17:57
Trail Name: I assume I will do multiple stupid things to warrant a name
Leaving: Around March 1st (probably not exactly on the 1st which is a Saturday)
Approach Trail: I think so; I have done it before and it is an easy access point for well wishing friends.

I live in Roswell, GA, 15 miles north of Atlanta so I have good access to this part of the trail. I am doing the approach to Neel's this week but I still think I will do it in the spring.

ryaanmc
12-08-2007, 22:30
Ryaan and Carol (Frebrd and no trail name yet)-we're leaving the last week in Feb NOBO and being slow walkers, hope to finish Sept.-Oct.

Mad Hatter 08
12-08-2007, 22:34
82 days till march 1st!!!!!

Mad Hatter 08
12-08-2007, 22:51
It's a little early to look for flights. Airlines will gouge you up front or gouge you last minute. If you look at comperable flights leaving to Atlanta in late January or early February you should see the prices drop.

From Philly I know I can get a ticket at 89 if I wait a few more weeks. Otherwise, I'd pay 160 if I booked now.

JT, it is actually policy with airlines that if you've purchased a ticket and it goes on sale then they have to refund you the difference. but you have to go to them they won't do it automatically.

I will be thru hiking as "Five Stones" NOBO, starting March 15th accessing the trail via USFS 42. As a Construction Manager, I reside all over the US, but hail from Fort Worth, TX primarily. I am also a novice in communicating in this forum, but I've never thru hiked either. It's all good!!!

welcome stones, i grew up in grand prairie, tx.

so my plan to get to the trail is to drive home to texas and take amtrak over. right now that looks to be 200 if i get a sleeper one night. the only downside is that trying to book online i have to make three "trips" unless i want to go dallas to chicago to gainsville/atlanta. which make absolultely no sense at all.

Heater
12-08-2007, 23:50
JT, it is actually policy with airlines that if you've purchased a ticket and it goes on sale then they have to refund you the difference. but you have to go to them they won't do it automatically.

welcome stones, i grew up in grand prairie, tx.

so my plan to get to the trail is to drive home to texas and take amtrak over. right now that looks to be 200 if i get a sleeper one night. the only downside is that trying to book online i have to make three "trips" unless i want to go dallas to chicago to gainsville/atlanta. which make absolultely no sense at all.

Yeah, that is what is keeping me from going Amtrack. I did a three day two night trip once and really do't want to do that again. I found plane tix for about $238 fron Tx. to Atl. last year. You might want to do as others suggested and book about 30-45 days before departure.

sparky2000
12-09-2007, 21:44
Sparky 2000 NoBo fm Springer about 11am 2Apr08. Though eating out often don't plan 1st zero until Hot Springs. See uze there.

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 15:15
Wildcowboy
Trail would be the AT
Will start in GA on March 16 2008:D

scrabble
12-10-2007, 19:05
Scrabble and friend of as yet undetermined trail name
Hiking flip-flop, VA>GA + VA>ME
Starting March Forth
but I wish it were today

tiger bomb
12-10-2007, 21:07
TIGER BOMB and KATAHDIN KID starting April 9, NOBO, from Springer Mtn.

Planning a slow paced Leap Frog thru hike. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

kritter
12-11-2007, 20:07
Haven't got a trail name yet but many were proposed(to embaressing to post:rolleyes: )

Direction: North Bound

Start Date: March 1st

Approach Trail: Yes sir!
2.5 months left, SO STOKED!:banana

Kirby
12-11-2007, 21:16
Haven't got a trail name yet but many were proposed(to embaressing to post:rolleyes: )

Direction: North Bound

Start Date: March 1st

Approach Trail: Yes sir!
2.5 months left, SO STOKED!:banana

Revive the March 1st start thread and sign it, it has not been signed in a while, it is somewhere in this forum, I will see if I can find it and bring it back to life.

Kirby

cbserafin7
12-12-2007, 09:23
Greetings from Indy Girl
Hi, just want to check in. Who is leaving Mar 1 to 15???????
I need a partner, to start off the trail NOBO.
I have been hiking daily and some with my pack. Thanks to Grant at Gossamer Gear and Matt at Antigravity for their help on gear choices. The last of misc gear arrives this week. Ya know, finger cot tooth brush - what a riot.
Let me know if I can join up with you to start. Indy Girl -

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 09:26
Hi, just want to check in. Who is leaving Mar 1 to 15???????
I need a partner, to start off the trail NOBO.

you don't need a partner. you'll meet plenty of folks the first day and every day for weeks

cbserafin7
12-12-2007, 09:46
It looks like I have made a mistake on my profile and placed your name instead of my own. I am Sorry for this oversight. It has been corrected. I am new to how to set up my trailsjournal address. I am registered there. Just like anything else in life, I will learn !!
Sorry for any trouble.
Indy Girl

cbserafin7
12-12-2007, 15:12
MountainSquid,
Sign me up:

Trail Name: Indy Girl
Start Date: March 1st, 2008
www.trailjournals.com/indygirl (http://www.trailjournals.com/indygirl)

thanks for doing such a great job with the spreadsheet start dates. WellDone

dpage
12-13-2007, 09:52
Go class of 2008!!! any1 have info on the AT at there myspace page...or even have a myspace page???? Hope all is well. DP

CaseyB
12-13-2007, 12:35
NOBO Springer-Damascus Section
No trail name yet
Leaving early May with at least 2 other locals
Approach trail

ATbound
12-13-2007, 21:09
update: planned to start around march 15, but now will be starting March 4, still no trail name, but I'm sure I'll be christened soon after starting the hike. Can't wait! It's all I think about.

grumpypickle
12-14-2007, 00:55
eerie, I did Amicalola to Neel's this week starting on late Monday morning. Ran into a group of 7 SOBOs Tuesday night at Gooch Mt shelter and a group of kids on Wed just past Big Cedar and they were the only people I saw. I imagine I will see a few more of you in March!

Binzo
12-14-2007, 19:58
Binzo
SOBO
07 July 08
Somewhere in Maine (cain't get theeer from heeya)

lisafranson
12-14-2007, 21:17
lisa
NOBO
leaving mar 24
lakeland, fl

approach trail- ...undecided ;)

Baum Trigger
12-14-2007, 21:31
lisa
NOBO
leaving mar 24
lakeland, fl

approach trail- ...undecided ;)

Oh cool, a lakeland, fl native. I lived there for 4 or 5 years back in the early 90's. Maybe we'll run into each other out there at some time.

Think Spring
12-14-2007, 21:55
:banana :sun Think Spring
NoBo
Back on at Dick's Creek Gap
About Mar. 10

Hiker Bee
12-15-2007, 02:59
Hiker Bee
GAME (NOBO)
March 15 (tentative)
Approach Trail

I did a ME -> PA hike in 2006, and have been itching to get back on the trail ever since. This time I've changed a few things, and I'm going all the way, one day at a time.

Aubee
12-15-2007, 13:14
Aubee
GAME 08
March 31 (tentative)
No approach

wildcowboy238
12-15-2007, 14:55
Correction on my start date I will be heading out NOBO om May 1

SMOOTHGINGER
12-15-2007, 15:46
I made it to harpers ferry last year. I ll be ready and know what to expect the second time around. I am counting the days...

djsmelser
12-16-2007, 11:42
Ole Boot Smith, the East Coast Goat, and Honest Abe will start March 15th and head North from the beginning of the trail in Georgia. See you guys and gals out there.

Ole Boot Smith--from Florence, AL
East Coast Goat-- from Boston, MA
Honest Abe-- Mt. Vernon, TX

djsmelser
12-16-2007, 11:53
Ole Boot Smith, the East Coast Goat, and Honest Abe will start March 15th and head North from the beginning of the trail in Georgia. See you guys and gals out there.

I'm Ole Boot Smith and my username is djsmelser. Love to hear from any of you.

Ole Boot Smith--from Florence, AL
East Coast Goat-- from Boston, MA
Honest Abe-- Mt. Vernon, TX

Aubee
12-16-2007, 18:06
Aubee is my name, but I have no trail name yet. I accidently included it as a trail name I guess.

mountain squid
12-16-2007, 20:35
Well, we are over 200 for the ‘Class of 2008 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2008thruhikers)' (201 if my addition is correct). http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs087.gifto WB all of you newer members (and to those who are lurking, but haven’t joined yet).

For most, it isn’t crunch time yet (SOBOs still have a lot of time), but your start date will be here sooner than you think. Hopefully, the planning hasn’t been overwhelming. It can definitely be stressful trying to figure out which is the best sleeping bag/tent/backpack/stove/rain gear/pair of socks – there sure are a lot of gear options available, aren’t there? Luckily, the planning phase will soon be over and you will be standing on Springer/Katahdin ready to follow white blazes for 2175 miles…

As far as your start date goes, if you can, consider starting during the week. Weekends have a tendency to be very busy (consider how many are starting Mar 1 and Mar 15? - there will also be a lot of day hikers/overnighters on the weekends).

Anyway, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs003.gif and Have Fun. Continue to tweak your gear, don’t forget the sunscreen http://anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/natur011.gif and don’t worry – you’ll be standing on Katahdin/Springer before you know it – having followed white blazes for 2175 miles and thinking "Now what do I do?"http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/think004.gif…

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Montego
12-16-2007, 20:44
Thanks for all you've done and also for the inspiration :D

wildhiker
12-17-2007, 00:27
My name hasn't found me yet. I'm flip-floping...NOBO from Harper's Ferry starting mid-may.

gdeup
12-17-2007, 12:31
Gdeup,
55 yrs old
April,08

I'll be heading north from Harpers Ferry. My first Grandson is due April 6,08 and plan on starting my solo, thru,FlipFlop shortly after celebrating his birth,God Willing, of course . See you on the trail in 08:sun

treadwayal
12-17-2007, 13:55
No trail name... first time (section hiking)
NOBO
May (mid to late)
Ga - Va Section

Old Hillwalker
12-17-2007, 14:47
I'm scheduled to go MEGA or GAME, but I'm not telling which, nor when. See y'all out there

Think Spring
12-17-2007, 15:56
:sun I'm "Think Spring"......ahhh, guess why.;
NoBo;
Early to mid March;
Back in at Dick's Creek Gap out of Hiawassee;
And very happy to see you all along the way north. Alas, am also concerned with the weather and potable water issues along the way. But we'll get there, eh?

trailfoot
12-17-2007, 19:56
Changed start date to March 1st
NOBO

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:11
Changed start date to March 1st
NOBO

:welcomesign the March 1st thread. See you on trail.

Kirby

Daddy-O
12-20-2007, 15:25
I can't stand it anymore! All I can think about is getting on the trail. MOVE me up to the March 1 - 10 group. I know myself too well and there is no way I am going to last until March 11.

Sidebar: There sure is a lot of Nay Sayers when a person decides to do something a little bit out of ordinary. On the other hand I have been surprised by those who have really been supportive. Go figure.

warraghiyagey
12-20-2007, 15:27
I can't stand it anymore! All I can think about is getting on the trail. MOVE me up to the March 1 - 10 group. I know myself too well and there is no way I am going to last until March 11.

Sidebar: There sure is a lot of Nay Sayers when a person decides to do something a little bit out of ordinary. On the other hand I have been surprised by those who have really been supportive. Go figure.
:welcome and enjoy your hike.:)

cbserafin7
12-21-2007, 09:51
Daddy O
I know what you mean about nay sayers, I think that they fall into two categories. One, they would like to be as adventurerous; Two, they live in fear most of their lives and can not fathom a challenge like this. The first questionI get is "are you hiking alone"? When I tell them that there will be approximately 1500 persons starting in Mar/Apr they seem to be satisfied. Imagine, being in the wilds alone. I love it, they can not fathom it.
Indy Girl

Daddy-O
12-21-2007, 12:08
I am currently reading the book "The Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson. Man does he have this whole thing pegged. He states that the biggest dream busters are those that are closest to you like your mother. That hit it on the head for me. . . . . . and I am 51 years old. LOL

Tilly
12-21-2007, 20:34
Let's see...I was on the AT in Maine this past June, intending a SB hike. Okay, let me re-arrange that. When I bought my plane ticket to Bangor and made reservations for Baxter, I was intending to thru. By the time I reached Millinocket, I knew that I would be a short timer.

I panicked attacked on Katahdin--I found out that I'm afraid of heights!
I got lost around Mud pond and almost killed myself in a beaver-pond outlet!
I slid off of a bog board and got stuck in quicksand-like mud for a few minutes before I fell completely in and resembled a swamp creature!
An animal vomited outside my tent & all over my Chacos at Sydney Tappan CS!
I was wracked with anxiety and completely homesick--for INDIANA, people!
By the time I got to Monson, 15 people told me that I looked like s**t!

I don't know when in March--I need to have carpal tunnel release surgery on both of my hands before I go--but I will be headed North this time!

This time with company, of course--why didn't I bring my boyfriend with me the first time?

Tilly
DWG-Kent, CT '04
OHMW, ME '07
NOBO AT 2008--& that's it!

Quagmire
12-22-2007, 03:15
another fellow IN member..woot. Won't see you out there, but hope your next trip goes well..and yes, good company is a must.

aboman
12-22-2007, 18:44
Trail Name---Aboman
DirectionNOBO
Start Date 1-7 April
Approach Trail Maybe
any additional info that you want the world to know Fredericksburg VA

Montego
12-22-2007, 19:46
Welcome to WhiteBlaze aboman :welcome

Think Spring
12-23-2007, 13:37
:-? Does anyone have any reasonable information concerning the availability of water for the NoBo's this spring? While at Fontana Dam last October I learned that the trail water location's were fairly dry from Fontana to Newfound Gap.

xanadu
12-24-2007, 09:29
Hello all
First post after lurking for a few months.
Will section hike in April or late May.
I will be nobo and can only hike for a couple of weeks.
I never even knew the AP was such a thing till I read a story in the Miami Herald a few months back. Heck...... I have to buy most of my stuff from the Bass Pro Shop here in South Florida as there are no other stores around. Other items I will buy on line.
Anyhow, thanks to all of you and I can't wait to get started.

PorkChop
12-25-2007, 23:30
Pork Chop
Probably a Flip Flop... Start in Harpers and go north and then back to either Springer or Harpers... not sure yet
Starting mid-May

Graduating college early May. Have a wedding to go to and then hitting the trail. Might have my roommate with me too, depending on him being able to find a job. Wanted to do this for 2-3 years now. Glad that it is so close.

See you all out there!
Pork Chop

Bonothoe
12-26-2007, 00:11
Bonothoe
NOBO
March 1st
Approach Trail...of course!

I've walked a bunch of trail from anywhere between Roanoake Va. and Ga., but I'm thrilled to finally get the chance to do a thru hike with two of my buddies! Currently I'm collecting some gear and testing it out. See yall at every single one of the rodent infested shelters! wahoo!

gyramax
12-27-2007, 20:56
i'll find a name on the trail, hopefully
NOBO
March 23
no approach trail

traildust
12-27-2007, 23:03
Crazy as it is, heading out in January to get a head start on the rush. This is third attempt to do the "thru". In 06, started in March but had to stop when partner hurt her back a day out of NOC. In 05 had to stop when partner hurt her knee going up Greylock. Guess I need a new partner. Na! To cute to give up. Anyway, got the time, right gear and I hope a healthy partner. Good luck to all. Take it slow til the groove comes along.

Last_minute
12-28-2007, 14:42
Trail Name : TBD - but it better be good
Direction : should I decide this now or wait a couple more months?...I'll
Start Date (if you change it please update via a reply)
Approach Trail

warraghiyagey
12-28-2007, 14:51
SOBO:sun :sun
Oh. . . and :welcome

Last_minute
12-28-2007, 14:52
Not sure why that posted like that maybe because I hit enter...

Trail Name - like said TBD
Direction - probably NOBO
Start Date - I'd say mid March to mid April
Approach Trail - definite must

Check list (done) - tell fam, tell gf
Check list (incomplete) - tell boss, www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31040 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31040) great topic by the way
and then pretty much everything else.

However, lookin forward to seeing you all.

Aubee
12-28-2007, 20:23
Aubee
trail name Cayenne
taking off from Springer on April 2nd.
train ticket purchased

Thanks for creating this list

Kirby
12-28-2007, 22:03
Aubee
trail name Cayenne
taking off from Springer on April 2nd.
train ticket purchased

Thanks for creating this list

:welcome

Kirby

rockrat
12-28-2007, 23:15
I'll be out on the trail finishing up my thru from Waynesboro north to Maine. I plan on leaving the week after trail days so I'll be hiking with some of you March 1st to March 15th people at the start. My trail name is Iceman Dan. See you out there.

Kirby
12-28-2007, 23:30
I'll be out on the trail finishing up my thru from Waynesboro north to Maine. I plan on leaving the week after trail days so I'll be hiking with some of you March 1st to March 15th people at the start. My trail name is Iceman Dan. See you out there.

if everything goes to plan(haha, yeah right), I will be within stones throw of Harper's at that point(I am starting the 1st).

Enjoy,
Kirby

kobacker
12-29-2007, 13:25
starting NOBO april 3rd, three of us in a group. Hope to see you all there.

Hurley
12-29-2007, 13:31
Whew, got good news yesterday. I found someone to sublease my room so I can move out of my house. I posted earlier, but my name is Hurley and I will be headed NOBO around March 8. See you on the approach trail.

Old Wolf
12-29-2007, 16:04
This will be my first hike. I am from Philadelphia PA. I am leaving the second week of April. I do not have a trail name, obviously, because I have not earned one yet. Really looking foward to meeting some of you on the trail. Good Luck to all 08er's

twohappyhikers
12-30-2007, 15:18
twohappyhikers
me and the pup
NOBO
approach trail
March 14-18
can't wait to give my notice at work!!!

JS.RINGO
12-31-2007, 16:08
My husband and I have been planning this thru-hike for 2 years, but we have been dreaming about it for much, much longer! Now, we can do it! We don't have official trail names yet. We are planning on leaving at the end of February, going NOBO. No approach. Can't wait to get out there! Happy New Year and happy hiking everyone!

Kirby
12-31-2007, 16:13
My husband and I have been planning this thru-hike for 2 years, but we have been dreaming about it for much, much longer! Now, we can do it! We don't have official trail names yet. We are planning on leaving at the end of February, going NOBO. No approach. Can't wait to get out there! Happy New Year and happy hiking everyone!

:welcome:welcome

Kirby

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 16:59
twohappyhikers
me and the pup
NOBO
approach trail
March 14-18
can't wait to give my notice at work!!!

What are you going to do with the pup in GSMNP and Baxter?

Kirby
12-31-2007, 17:39
What are you going to do with the pup in GSMNP and Baxter?

The guidebooks list local kennels I believe.

Kirby

Kerby
12-31-2007, 20:33
Hay all, I just noticed that I did not make it on to tje 2008 registry, well ok, my fiance noticed, but I am going-mid march. I just need to back track from traildays to make sure i make it.

PUT ME ON THE LIST!!!!!

TOW
12-31-2007, 20:34
who's all starting tomorrow?

Red Hat
01-01-2008, 11:30
Trail Name - Red Hat
Direction - SOBO
Start Date - July 1
Approach Trail - not after 2176 miles!

It is decided! Sorry Henhike, I'm going SOBO!

Roots
01-01-2008, 13:12
Trail Name - Red Hat
Direction - SOBO
Start Date - July 1
Approach Trail - not after 2176 miles!

It is decided! Sorry Henhike, I'm going SOBO!

Good Luck and enjoy! When you make to NC around the Fontana/NOC region let us know maybe we can send a little trail magic your way!! :)

JERMM
01-01-2008, 13:51
Red Hat, good luck with your hike, hope to meet you on the way NOBO

chip B
01-01-2008, 14:15
changing start date from mid june to end of may still going sobo

Kirby
01-01-2008, 14:23
changing start date from mid june to end of may still going sobo

be careful with that. Maine is having a brutal winter, and there is the potential the Hunt Trail will not be open at the end of May.

Kirby

Mad Hatter 08
01-01-2008, 22:56
hey everyone it is now officially OUR YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Montego
01-01-2008, 22:58

WHOOHOO!!! :sun

Kirby
01-01-2008, 22:59

WHOOHOO!!! :sun

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Kirby

pittmad
01-02-2008, 12:21
Name: Pittman
Start Date: April 1
NOBO

Alex_Here
01-02-2008, 15:18
No trail name yet
Starting around the 10 february
NOBO
Ohhhhh yeah !! Let's get frozen =)

SparrowHawk
01-02-2008, 21:50
Definitely going to change my starting date to 1 March...I've got an interview at Des Moines University on 22 Feb--cutting it close, I know--and I feel this is a great way to "Pre-Game" the AT!!!

Venture
01-03-2008, 15:04
Trail name: Venture
Start Date: NOBO April 1st
Approach trail: Definately
Look forward to meeting some of you!! :)

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:26
Trail name: Venture
Start Date: NOBO April 1st
Approach trail: Definately
Look forward to meeting some of you!! :)

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:30
:sun :sun :sun :sun

brz
01-04-2008, 01:14
mr BRZ Class of 2006
Like Lays potato chips, one is just not enough.
NOBO
Early April '08 (started late in 2006 too)

hokewa
01-04-2008, 18:24
Hello all,
37 yr/old male northbound sometime April 4-7. I am really looking forward to the experiences and people I will meet on the trail. Hope to see you all soon, Good Luck

Montego
01-04-2008, 19:01
Welcome to WhiteBlaze (WB) hokewa :welcome

Powder River
01-04-2008, 19:03
No trail name yet
NOBO
April 1
Approach trail

crazy diamond
01-04-2008, 19:28
Hello all. I just signed up. Myself and a friend are nobo starting Jan 12.
Does anyone know if the water situation has improved. Sounds like springs are dry heading into the Smokies.

Montego
01-04-2008, 19:29
Hi crazy diamond, welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope your hike is a good one :welcome

ChadFromOhio
01-04-2008, 21:41
Hey, all. I'm NOBO from the approach trail some time in the first week of April. See ya there.

smaaax
01-05-2008, 18:06
No trail name yet
NOBO
Feb 14
Approach trail

Troutbum
01-05-2008, 19:41
I guess it is time to throw my hat into the ring. I've been called hard-headed all of my life, so my trail name will be Hardhead. :datz I just wish my abs were as hard as my head! I'll be NOBO, starting on March 16th. In my visits to Trail Days and the Gathering last year, I was advised to skip the approach trail. I am looking forward to meeting the fellow members of the class of "08".

Montego
01-05-2008, 20:29
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Troutbum. Hope to see 'ya on the trail :welcome
't

Nest
01-05-2008, 20:35
Figured I would post a change in my start date so the thruhiker list is updated for me. I have moved my start date to March 13.

Marge
01-05-2008, 21:17
Hey all. Below is my information for my 2008 thru hike:

Trailname - to be determined
Direction - flip flop
Start Date - May 11th / Harpers Ferry NOBO
The approach trail will be my swan song at the end of my hike!!

I hope to meet many of you out there!

Montego
01-05-2008, 21:20
Hey Marge, welcome to WhiteBlaze. I'll be doing a flip-flop from Harpers Ferry also, starting May 7th. Hope to see you out there :welcome

Kirby
01-05-2008, 21:58
Wow! A lot of people have declared in the past 2 weeks!

2008!
Kirby

carewarner
01-05-2008, 23:25
I will be starting my thru-hike between March 30 & April 3rd. Please add my name to the class of 2008.

Barefoot Sage

dmb658
01-06-2008, 00:00
i will be leaving on march 19th with a friend of mine

Montego
01-06-2008, 00:01
Welcome to WhiteBlaze carewarner. Hope you have a great hike :welcome

chip B
01-06-2008, 18:07
thanks kirby i have done the hunt trail before so i will be leaving from abol bridge for the second time lot of rain last year

kaemac
01-06-2008, 18:33
Name: Kaelyn
Direction: SOBO, starting just south of Baxter St.Park due to my dog... slight bumor but very doable...
Start Date: Around June 15th ... give or take a few days.

rie
01-06-2008, 20:07
rie
game
starting april 2nd at springer--no approach trail

i'm so pumped. see ya'll out there

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 03:18
Name: Kaelyn
Direction: SOBO, starting just south of Baxter St.Park due to my dog... slight bumor but very doable...
Start Date: Around June 15th ... give or take a few days.
Kaelyn, you could board your dog at Abol Bridge and pick him up the day after you summit. Just a thought.:) :) :welcome

rie
game
starting april 2nd at springer--no approach trail

i'm so pumped. see ya'll out there
:welcome :welcome

Montego
01-07-2008, 03:30
Hey, welcome to WhiteBlaze kaemac. Hope you have a great hike :welcome

Skuter
01-07-2008, 07:29
Skuter
nobo
last

Skuter
01-07-2008, 07:33
Skuter
nobo
last week of feb.
approach trail- Yes

Flexo
01-07-2008, 23:09
Bah....it looks like there are 2 or 3 places with listings of start dates.

Here it is again...

36 yr old male
Solo hiking, but will gladly share with journey
Northbound
Leaving April 23rd

I have 12 or 13 weeks off of work. I plan on hiking as far as I can. My goal is Harpers Ferry or more. Who knows maybe I will hike a marathon every day and make it to Katahdin!

:banana

Venture
01-08-2008, 14:19
Welcome Flexo!! Getting tired of the desert huh? I used to live in Flagstaff!! Enjoy your hike, however far you make it!!

BugGirl
01-09-2008, 17:09
trailnames: TBD
SOBO
starting June 10ish

the hubster and I have been planning this for a year! We can't wait.

Philippe
01-12-2008, 18:18
Hello all, I'll be starting solo Northbound sometime between May 13 - 15. I hope to meet some of you good people. I would have started mid-April, but my sweet wife is graduating from the U of Me and I want to be there. Not bad for a 1942 vintage lady, eh? I do plan to do the approach trail. I hope I put this in the right place to get on the register.

tlw08
01-12-2008, 21:50
okay, this is big then:

Name: Tyler
Start Date: First week of March

:) :) :eek:

Montego
01-12-2008, 21:55
Hi philippe, welcome to WhiteBlaze. A lot of good people here with great answers to any questions you might have about your planned hike :welcome

mountain squid
01-13-2008, 18:05
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs004.gif, we are at 253 for the 'Class of 2008 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2008thruhikers)'. According to the list, there should be at least 4 already out there braving the elements http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen125.gifand one starting tomorrow. Once again, Good Luck and Have Fun, everyone!!!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

tlw08
01-13-2008, 19:33
okay, this is big then:

Name: Tyler
Start Date: First week of March

:) :) :eek:

Approach Trail - yes :sun

MattBuck30
01-14-2008, 16:56
Buck
NOBO
Cincinnati, Ohio
March 24

MattBuck30
01-14-2008, 17:19
Will be hiking with my buddy Cagi and will hit up the approach trail. little over 2 months to go! cant wait

Montego
01-14-2008, 17:22
Welcome to WhiteBlaze MattBuck30. Good luck on your hike, hope it's all you dreamed of :welcome

Cindy from Indy
01-14-2008, 18:10
:) No trail name yet.
I'm NOBO from Springer Mtn, April '08

Looking forward to the challenge, the new friendships and the fun!!:banana

100 Days and counting!!!:banana
Name: Cindy
Trail name: TBD
Approach Trail: YES
Departure Date: 3rd week in April

vonfrick
01-14-2008, 18:23
after reading all the posts i feel like such a slacker! i'm section hiking kilington to katahdin this year leaving around june 21, depending on the actual end of the school year. no name yet. looking forward to meeting you all- safe journey!

Montego
01-14-2008, 18:25
:welcomeWelcome to WhiteBlaze vonfrick. Have a great hike!

Spottzie
01-14-2008, 22:51
Name: Stephanie, I guess I will let my trail name find me
NOBO
March 15th
Approach Trail
I will be hiking with my boyfriend, Jon

Alilalien
01-15-2008, 02:22
Real name is Chris But I like to go by "Guy"
NOBO
March 15th
Approach Trail

Looking for other hikers that are interested in group hiking either to join or to start one. Please PM me with any information regarding this.

Brokha
01-15-2008, 12:36
Name: Jordan Trail Name: ?
NOBO
Feb 16/17
Approach trail.

Can't wait to get started.

Rooster
01-15-2008, 13:29
I have to put off the hike until April but it is happening this year. I just bought a house need to square everything before I can go.

Christoph Meyer
01-15-2008, 15:09
:banana Dance Banana Dance :banana

Trailname: Twineman

Northbound

Starting in Georgia the last week of March. Can't wait to meet all you folks on the trail.

jhiben
01-15-2008, 15:54
Trail Name:?????
Start Date: May 5
Approach Trail: No

The only 4 month block of time I am gonna have for a while so I will be flyin'. Can't wait to start.

georgiamountainwoman
01-15-2008, 19:08
Trail Name: Georgiamountainwoman
Direction: Flip Flop....HF to KT....HP to SP
Start Date: Between Last Week of May to June 1

Would like a bunch of people to hike with, especially after the tragedy with Meridith Emerson on Blood Mountain, however, I know many of you are not Flip Flopin' and even tho some of you NOBO's will be around HP at that time, ya'll will already have yor hikin' legs developed and will be speedin' right past me. I wanna do the trail at a slower pace (around 10 miles a day, more or less) to be able to take it all in and "smell the roses". Doing it at a faster pace, I think, sets you up for more injuries. Like the saying goes.....slow and steady wins the race ! But I'm not gonna be a racin', just enjoyin'.

ScottP
01-16-2008, 00:40
Scott
Hermes
April 1-10th
GA-VA section in training for CDT thru-hike attempt
NOBO
approach trail: wherever the ride from the hiker hostel is headed, I'll go.

Chaco Taco
01-16-2008, 00:53
Good luck everyone. I guess the first few are out of the gates. I see Stumpknocker is closing in on the Smokies. Good luck Class of 08.

roy_hiking
01-17-2008, 02:31
Bayou here, I am moving my start date to March 1, 2008 at Springer.

:):):)

Wish I could start tomorrow!!

Rooster
01-17-2008, 13:14
sorry to say josiblue won't be going. You can take him off the list.

Sojournrunner
01-17-2008, 15:28
Name: Sojournrunner
NOBO
Starting around April 9, 2008

I've been looking forward to this adventure for the past 30 years. I retired on Jan 1 because my office was "downsized," so now I can finally go for it. Should be great.

Wild Flower
01-17-2008, 21:22
Wild Flower
NOBO
starting early March (aiming for the 9th)
I'm also not sure about the approach trail; leaning toward yes.

I'm a first-timer too and would love some company. I'm especially axious about the first few days (I haven't shared that part with friends because they wouldn't believe it anyway.), but headstrong and determined to complete the entire trail my first attempt. I'm also traveling with my dog and not completely prepared for all that entails. I'm open to any ideas.

I'm hiking the trail in between my move from Alexandria, Virginia to Jacksonville, Florida. I figure knowing that I'm essentially homeless will motivate me to keep going.

warraghiyagey
01-18-2008, 00:24
Wild Flower
NOBO
starting early March (aiming for the 9th)
I'm also not sure about the approach trail; leaning toward yes.

I'm a first-timer too and would love some company. I'm especially axious about the first few days (I haven't shared that part with friends because they wouldn't believe it anyway.), but headstrong and determined to complete the entire trail my first attempt. I'm also traveling with my dog and not completely prepared for all that entails. I'm open to any ideas.

I'm hiking the trail in between my move from Alexandria, Virginia to Jacksonville, Florida. I figure knowing that I'm essentially homeless will motivate me to keep going.
:welcome:welcome:welcome
You'll be in good company. Have a great hike.

Nevalost
01-18-2008, 09:29
Well guys I will not be through hiking the AT this year, I have been refused a Visa because they think since all my assets are liquid at the moment I will not return to England.

Oh well good luck to you all maybe some time I will be able to come and do it myself its back to dreaming for me :(

Kind regards
Will

Amphibious D
01-18-2008, 10:12
Amphibious D
NOBO
March 26
not sure about approach trail yet

Butterflymoon
01-18-2008, 11:48
Butterflymoon
NOBO
March 10th(ish)

Solo in 05' but back this time with Luna (k9) to join the 08' class.

Butterflymoon
01-18-2008, 11:51
wild flower,
Would like to chat more about hiking with the k9 unit, as my is comming along to for this go round. I'd love to swap tips.
Namaste
Butterflymoon

ScottP
01-18-2008, 12:27
Nevalost--have you tried telling them that you're going to be taking a 6 month vacation, and the money is liquid because you plan on spending most of it in the states?

What about buying stock with some of that money so that it's no longer liquid? Or maybe asking them what you can do to prove that you will be going back to england?

sounds like a problem that can be solved.

thebeast
01-18-2008, 12:44
name Dave
trail

thebeast
01-18-2008, 12:45
ill be there on march 24th first timer., but got all the time in the world

riga
01-19-2008, 03:34
Trail Name undecided
NOBO
February 14 Valentine's Day (but the reservations aren't made yet. Could be later, but not earlier.)
Approach Trail Y

Nevalost
01-19-2008, 15:22
Nevalost--have you tried telling them that you're going to be taking a 6 month vacation, and the money is liquid because you plan on spending most of it in the states?

What about buying stock with some of that money so that it's no longer liquid? Or maybe asking them what you can do to prove that you will be going back to england?

sounds like a problem that can be solved.

Scott I travelled 300 miles to London and spent 5 hours sitting in the embassy after weeks of preparation to make sure I had all the evidence they needed but they did not want to grant me access. Like you said the liquid cash would have been spent in the States.

I am going to have a chat with a friend to see if I can sort something out in relation to a property will see how it goes and if I can still make it will update the board.

Kind regards
Nevalost

ScottP
01-19-2008, 15:53
If you can't get a US visa look at the Via Alpina, the trail across the alps. No one has thru-hike it yet--it'd actually be a much cooler and more challenging adventure than the AT.

liminalgrey
01-19-2008, 17:25
Name: Jenny
Trail name: I'll get one on the trail :)
NOBO
late March
Approach Trail: yes

Wahoo!

rusty rat
01-19-2008, 17:58
Hello from Nova Scotia. My son and I are planning to head south from Delaware Water Gap, Pa.(bunch of reasons) during our High School March Break. Starting before the 15th. He will graduate at the end of Jan and I'm taking a leave of absence from my high school teaching to do the hike with him. Plan to finish before the end of August.
I think it will be fun to meet all of you nobo's and then join up with you when we flip.
As a salmon fisherman I'm Rusty Rat and my son Sam is Meat Hook.
Along with my daughter Beth we traveled to China last summer. I wonder how the AT will stack up against Great Wall?
http://www.saerc.tv/~jstub
--------------
Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away. ~Saint-Exupery

Montego
01-19-2008, 18:04
Welcome to WhiteBlaze rusty rat. Sounds like y'all have an adventureous hike planned. Hope it's as great as the Great Wall of China :welcome

dbender
01-19-2008, 22:59
Hoover and Jitterbug
NOBO
12 Mar 08
Approach--probably not

Shiloh
01-20-2008, 02:55
Trail Name - Shiloh
Direction - NOBO from Springer
Start Date - March 10th or 11th, 2008

I live just west of Atlanta and a few miles from Sweetwater Creek State Park . (9 miles of hiking trails) I plan to do gear purchase/break-in and daily prep hikes from late January thru early March. Anyone living in the area is welcome to join me.

Also - If you are coming from "away" and need a place to prep - I might be able to provide a launch pad with A FEW Hostel style bunk spaces for serious "older" thru-hikers. PM or Email me for details.

Shiloh

Mad Hatter 08
01-20-2008, 03:01
nevalost sorry you won't be here this year good luck for next(?) year. well everyone i got my tickets today!!!! I'll be flying home to texas a month from tomorrow and then on to GA on the 28th. I was planning on going to GA by train but i was able to find one way tickets on aa for 82 bucks.

Nevalost
01-20-2008, 04:41
If you can't get a US visa look at the Via Alpina, the trail across the alps. No one has thru-hike it yet--it'd actually be a much cooler and more challenging adventure than the AT.

Cool I will have a look at this trail thanks for letting me know about it.

I am actually driving through France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden to visit my cousin but im also goin to visit the Jamptland mountains between Norway and Sweden heard there are some nice trails there.

Kind regards
Will

Montego
01-20-2008, 21:01
Welcome to WhiteBlaze shiloh. :welcome Hope everything comes together OK for your hike.

georgiamountainwoman
01-20-2008, 21:21
Well, I guess no one noticed my post. Guess not to many are doing a flip flop thru hike.

Montego
01-20-2008, 21:27
Hey, welcome to WhiteBlaze georgiamountainwoman :welcome. Well, there are a few of us flip-floppers around, but not many. I'll be leaving HF NOBO a couple of weeks ahead of you, but y'all still might pass me somewhere North of there. Have a great hike and hope to say hi on the trail.

rcli4
01-20-2008, 21:28

Would like a bunch of people to hike with, especially after the tragedy with Meridith Emerson on Blood Mountain, however, I know many of you are not Flip Flopin' and even tho some of you NOBO's will be around HP at that time, ya'll will already have yor hikin' legs developed and will be speedin' right past me. I wanna do the trail at a slower pace (around 10 miles a day, more or less) to be able to take it all in and "smell the roses". Doing it at a faster pace, I think, sets you up for more injuries. Like the saying goes.....slow and steady wins the race ! But I'm not gonna be a racin', just enjoyin'.

why not just go southbound

Clyde

hobojoe
01-21-2008, 16:45
Trail Name: Hobo Joe
Start Date: April 1st, 2008
additional info: Fourth time is a charm. Hiking with Green T PCT '07 and Feral At 03' PCT '07.

alan.wine
01-21-2008, 17:11
Slimfast
Northbound
March 1st

Can't wait to get out there! myspace.com/alanwine lets chat!

lonehiker
01-21-2008, 18:22
Lonehiker
NOBO
Approach trail
8 Apr (give or take)
5 months (or so)

Hammer and Nails
01-21-2008, 19:50
Hammer and Nails (I'm the former and my Jack Russell is the latter)
NOBO
Starting from Amicalola
21 February - locked in!
4 months, and have the idea of a yo-yo kicking around...

I've been sleeping in my backyard the last few nights (going down to the 20's), walking 3 hours a day, lifting 3 times per week. Planning a trip to Rogue River here in Oregon in about two weeks for a total of 80 (flat) miles over 5 days. And just reading reading reading. The jitters have begun!

MattMan
01-21-2008, 22:13
Name: Matt
Direction: Nobo
Start Date: March 20th
Approach Trail: Most def

Montego
01-22-2008, 00:00
Welcome to WhiteBlaze MattMan, Hammer and Nails, and alan.wine :welcome:welcome:welcome

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 00:11

Hey GMW!
A flip flop seems like alot of fun with the chance to meet even more hikers and the chance to see familiar faces after the midway jump. It'll be interesting to see the SOBOs that you meet headed north and then meet up again with after HF. I may be one of them!!
Peace and have a great hike!!!!!
:sun:sun:sun:sun

Limestone
01-22-2008, 15:13
Trail Name: Limestone
Leave Springer: March 4
No approach trail
From the State of Washington and hiking with wife Carla.

Montego
01-22-2008, 20:29
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Limestone. Hope you both have a great hike :welcome

corialice81
01-24-2008, 14:35
Leaving from the approach trail on April 19th. Looking forward to an awesome adventure and acquiring a trail name. :banana

Bilge Rat
01-24-2008, 22:22
Name: Greg
Trail Name: I guess I'll earn one
Direction: NoBo
Start Date: March 16th (Happy Birthday to me!)
Approach Trail: Unsure, but more than likely

Livin' Life!

Montego
01-24-2008, 22:24
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Puddlejumper :welcome

pablodoogle
01-24-2008, 23:51
Name: Paul
No trail name yet.
NOBO
Planned start date Mar 15, 2008 including approach trail.

reddenrn
01-25-2008, 19:36
Hi I am starting on March 5th, Lord willing, to hike from Springer to Katahdin in 2008. Thanks for putting me on the list of the class of 08!

Jeremiah

Montego
01-25-2008, 22:51
Welcome to WhiteBlaze reddenrn. Hope your hike is awsome :welcome

sourkraut
01-27-2008, 00:04
im starting at springer on the fifth of march! ive got five and a half mounths and am so very excited

Rocko
01-27-2008, 16:55
Rocko
Going North!!!
March 11

I'm so excited to hit the trail, the dream is so close, my house is like a crazy grocery store and I'm now on the 24 hour around the clock dehydrating schedule. I guess there will be time to sleep after the trail?

Montego
01-28-2008, 01:15
Welcome to WhiteBlaze rocko :welcome. If 'ya need someone to lighten that food load, give me a call :D. See you on the trail.

ratey03
01-28-2008, 02:14
Sometime first week in April
NOBO

I'm getting out of the Navy in Late March, I'm still in Honolulu, Moving permanently to Florida shortly thereafter. Needless to say I still have a lot of details to work out.

Jake

Montego
01-28-2008, 02:34
Hey, welcome to WhiteBlaze ratey03. There is a lot of fine, knowlegeable people here, so if you have any questions, feel free to post :welcome

warraghiyagey
01-28-2008, 02:49
Sometime first week in April
NOBO

I'm getting out of the Navy in Late March, I'm still in Honolulu, Moving permanently to Florida shortly thereafter. Needless to say I still have a lot of details to work out.

Jake
Kaneohe's in the house!! We were just talking about Hawaii on another thread. God I miss Honolulu. Especially my personal favorite Hanauma Bay. Have a great hike.

HighTech
01-28-2008, 15:59
HighTech here,

I thruhiked in 2006 (www.davecockman.com (http://www.davecockman.com)) I won't be able to do the whole trail this year, but will be doing many section hikes from Springer thru Katahdin. I'll see you folks at Springer on March 14th.

mountain squid
01-28-2008, 18:56
We're up to 300 http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/cool.gif...hope those of you starting 1 Mar have already submitted your reservations :rolleyes: for Springer Mountain shelterhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen146.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy070.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. As always, Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Kirby
01-28-2008, 19:17
We're up to 300 http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/cool.gif...hope those of you starting 1 Mar have already submitted your reservations :rolleyes: for Springer Mountain shelterhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen146.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy070.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. As always, Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Luckily I have no intentions of staying there, I will hang out there for a little bit to meet some people though.

According to Dances With Mice, there is good camping every half mile in Georgia, so I will find a nice place to camp when possible.

Kirby

justin_l_williams
02-01-2008, 00:57
Hi all, I will be starting my thru hike tomorrow. Im hiking with a partner and a dog. See ya on the trail!!!

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 17:09
Hi all, I will be starting my thru hike tomorrow. Im hiking with a partner and a dog. See ya on the trail!!!

Montego
02-02-2008, 02:03
Welcome to WhiteBlaze justin_l_williams :welcome

WhoAh
02-02-2008, 09:38
Luckily I have no intentions of staying there, I will hang out there for a little bit to meet some people though.
Kirby

Absolutely beautiful sunset from Springer, well worth the time to sit and reflect on the journey one is about to undertake. Plenty of camping, good water, and a chance to talk and get to know others.

I know everyone is pretty keyed and ready to start charging North, but it really is a great spot to spend the first night out on the trail. After all, what's the hurry??

Hammer and Nails
02-02-2008, 18:07

Hey, out of curiosity, is there any easy-to-read register of when people are starting and from where somewhere on whiteblaze or elsewhere?

Apart from wondering how many are starting right next to me, I'm also wondering how many people are starting march 1 - looks like 100's!!

Kirby
02-02-2008, 18:44
Hey, out of curiosity, is there any easy-to-read register of when people are starting and from where somewhere on whiteblaze or elsewhere?

Apart from wondering how many are starting right next to me, I'm also wondering how many people are starting march 1 - looks like 100's!!

You will have plenty of company on the first. I guarantee that Springer Mountain Shelter, Stover Creek Shelter, and Hawk Mountain Shelter will all have a decent amount of people, with Springer most likely taking the cake.

Prepare your tents(hammocks) ladies and gentlemen,

Kirby

mountain squid
02-02-2008, 19:34

Here is the list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2008thruhikers). Per the list there are 26 starting on 1 Mar. Some will do the Approach Trail and some will not, so hikers will be spread out some. (You can also access the list from WB homepage. On the left pane, under WhiteBlaze Thru-Hikers, click on the 'Class of 2008'.)

This list only represents those from WhiteBlaze. Trailjournals will also have many starting then. And many hikers won't sign up anywhere. There will be alot of hikers in the vicinity on 1 Mar.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. Reservations are not required at Springer. They are required for SOBOs intending to stay in Baxter State Park, however.

PPS. Don't forget the sunscreen...:sun

dmb658
02-02-2008, 21:41
Name - Doug
Trail Name - TBA
Direction - NoBo
Start Date - March 19th or 20th
Approach Trail - YES

I've got until the end of august( school starts =[ ) to finish the trail, Would be embarrassing to not finish cause i was too slow!

Carp
02-04-2008, 15:56
Update.

My partner flaked on me, so I'll be shoving off by my poor little lonesome on the 6th of April. If that list is accurate though, I'll probably not be short on company.

Name: Jason
Trail name: No idea.
Direction: Northbound
Approach: Would be uncivilized not to now wouldn't it?

Shiloh
02-04-2008, 17:19
If you are heading out March 1st or 2nd, you might be interested in the following:

EVENTS

Appalachian Trail Celebration & Backpacking Clinic

March 1-2, 2008

Amicalola Falls State Lodge Park in Dawsonville, GA will host its Annual Appalachian Trail Celebration & Backpacking Clinic on Saturday and Sunday, March 1-2, 2008. Both experienced and novice hikers and campers attend this annual event to celebrate the great outdoors, learn about the Appalachian Trail, listen to AT hikers share their experiences, and discover what it takes to make the 5-million step journey across 14 states. In addition numerous equipment suppliers will be on hand to talk about and demonstrate specific backpacking items.

FMI visit:

http://www.friendsofamicalolafalls.org/

Kirby
02-04-2008, 19:22
If you are heading out March 1st or 2nd, you might be interested in the following:

EVENTS

Appalachian Trail Celebration & Backpacking Clinic

March 1-2, 2008

Amicalola Falls State Lodge Park in Dawsonville, GA will host its Annual Appalachian Trail Celebration & Backpacking Clinic on Saturday and Sunday, March 1-2, 2008. Both experienced and novice hikers and campers attend this annual event to celebrate the great outdoors, learn about the Appalachian Trail, listen to AT hikers share their experiences, and discover what it takes to make the 5-million step journey across 14 states. In addition numerous equipment suppliers will be on hand to talk about and demonstrate specific backpacking items.

FMI visit:

http://www.friendsofamicalolafalls.org/

I wish there was a schedule of events posted on the link, I am trying to plan it so that I attend a morning presentation, then hit the Approach Trail.

Kirby

Shiloh
02-04-2008, 21:32
I wish there was a schedule of events posted on the link, I am trying to plan it so that I attend a morning presentation, then hit the Approach Trail.

Kirby

Kirby

I called Amicalola Falls State Lodge Park and they sent me a hard copy of the two day schedule in the mail. I'm suprised it isn't posted on the http://www.friendsofamicalolafalls.org/ (http://www.friendsofamicalolafalls.org/) website.

All day Saturday (9 - 5) is speakers with 7pm Book signing and fireside chat.

All day Sunday (9-5) is vendor and outfitter presentations and demonstrations.

If someone does't post the full text of the schedule in the next few days, I will try to type it out using my lightning quick two finger typing skills.

Shiloh
02-04-2008, 21:37
D'ho .....

I just found this posted by Mountain Man on another thread.

Amicalola Falls State Park pesents
Backpacking Clinic & Applachian Trail Celebration

Saturday March 1
9am David Nation - GATC
10am Jan Leitschuh
11am David Miller
1pm Gene Espy & Jim Burson
2pm J.R. Tate
3pm Julie Judkins - ATC
4pm Will Waller
7pm Book signing & fireside chat
8pm Owl presentation

Sunday March 2
9am Atlanta Adventures - Prepare
10am Antigravity Gear - cooking
11am Outside World - water
1pm Mountain Crossings -footwear
2pm REI - backpacks
3pm Half Moon - sleeping bags
4pm Leave No Trace

Kirby
02-04-2008, 21:48
I can go to the GATC presentation, Jan's would be cutting it close.

Kirby

criley84
02-04-2008, 22:11
Figured I'd get in on this party...

Cliff (no trail name yet)
NOBO
April 9th!
Approach Trail....maybe

Hailing from Fort Worth, Tejas

Shiloh
02-04-2008, 22:16
Welcome Cliff . . .

I guess there will be at least two Riley's on the AT this year.

Wes "Shiloh" Riley

Montego
02-04-2008, 22:20
Welcome to WhiteBlaze criley84. :welcome

boat
02-06-2008, 15:30
Boat
NOBO
April 5th!
Don't intend to do the approach trail

Haven't fully committed to the hike yet but am 90% there. I'll make the final decision by March 1 so I can give a month's notice at work. God willing, I'll be there on April 5th, 5 years to the day from my last thru hike.

Montego
02-06-2008, 20:13
Welcome to WhiteBlaze boat :welcome. Hope your hike is as good if not better than your last one.

ezdoesit
02-06-2008, 21:03
Boat
NOBO
April 5th!
Don't intend to do the approach trail

Haven't fully committed to the hike yet but am 90% there. I'll make the final decision by March 1 so I can give a month's notice at work. God willing, I'll be there on April 5th, 5 years to the day from my last thru hike.

:-?Hey Boat is it you I hiked with in 2003 if so look forward to seeing you again. I am starting on the third
Email me:)

Stewis
02-07-2008, 12:43
No trail name yet for the two of us (a friend and I), although my two trail names in the past have been soggy bottom boy and the reverend
North Bound
Starting around April 25th
We are two 19 year old boys planning to book it up that trail, so consider this an apology ahead of time for the both of us to everyone who has told us or will tell us that rushing through is against the basic philosophy of the AT. But hey, we all walking the same path, and I'm glad to see so many other people consider walking for walking's sake a worthwhile endeavor, however and whenever they choose to do it. Can't wait to be out there!

ScottP
02-07-2008, 18:06
No trail name yet for the two of us (a friend and I), although my two trail names in the past have been soggy bottom boy and the reverend
North Bound
Starting around April 25th
We are two 19 year old boys planning to book it up that trail, so consider this an apology ahead of time for the both of us to everyone who has told us or will tell us that rushing through is against the basic philosophy of the AT. But hey, we all walking the same path, and I'm glad to see so many other people consider walking for walking's sake a worthwhile endeavor, however and whenever they choose to do it. Can't wait to be out there!

Good for you. The biggest mistake I made while hiking was listening to people who told me that I'd have a better time if I went slower. Do whatever you have fun doing, an ignore anyone who tells you otherwise!

bert_connelly
02-07-2008, 18:30
sky6
NOBO
March 5th
The Approach Trail

Montego
02-07-2008, 18:33
Welcome to WhiteBlaze bert :welcome. Hope your hike is everything you expected.

Montego
02-07-2008, 18:34
Hey stewis, welcome to WhiteBlaze :welcome.

bryson_young
02-07-2008, 19:13
No trail name yet
SOBO
Starting June 15th
Asheville, NC

Montego
02-07-2008, 19:17
Welcome to WhiteBlaze bryson :welcome. Lot of good folks here with AT experience. Feel free to "pick" their brains.

PorkChop
02-07-2008, 20:17
hey... I need to change my info...

I'm Porkchop and had said i was leaving mid-May and doing a flip from HF.

I will now be doing a NOBO from Springer including the Approach leaving May 7th and also hiking with midrover. I'm from Muncie, IN/Indianapolis, IN.

Thanks!

Big Terrapin
02-07-2008, 21:17
mjr
nobo
April 15th

Montego
02-07-2008, 23:15
Welcome to WhiteBlaze mjr :welcome. Hope you have a super hike.

Tanya
02-07-2008, 23:26
No trail name yet
NoBo
second half of May

I am new here, my name is Tanya.
I'll have to start somewhere in TN; I'll try to do as much as I possibly can in 3 months (I already did the Whites and some other sections) and then finish the rest maybe next year. Yesterday, I finally told my husband that I want to do it this summer, I might never have another chance, and it's been my dream for years. I hope I'll have enough time to prepare everything.

Montego
02-07-2008, 23:28
Well, welcome to WhiteBlaze Tanya :welcome. Hope the trail is everything you dreamed it would be.

ao2008
02-08-2008, 12:40
This is my first post on WB, but it has been an invaluable tool in planning my thru hike! I have 45 days until the adventure begins! I'll be hiking with a buddy of mine from Oklahoma, and can't wait to get out there!

No Trail Name yet
NOBO
Starting March 24
Yep, doing the Approach Trail

Can't wait to meet the 08 class

ao

Kirby
02-08-2008, 14:06
I have no idea if I have signed this thing or not, but I will now just to cover all the base.

Kirby
NOBO
March 1st
Approach Trail.

And the deed is done,
Kirby

mosquito ninja
02-09-2008, 22:42
no trail name
NoBo
end of march
approach trail
cya there

warraghiyagey
02-09-2008, 22:44
Mosquito Ninja - Have a great hike.

Auntie Mame
02-10-2008, 00:29
Marcia, from mid-coast Maine. Teamed up with twin sister, V8.
Trail name - Auntie Mame
NoBo end of Feb.
Skipping the approach trail- I'm a type B personality.
Currently up to my armpits in gear-clutter that eventually will get edited down to the final cut: like your place, probably! Walking every chance I get. Go, team, go!

Montego
02-10-2008, 00:31
Welcome to WhiteBlaze ao2008 and mosquito ninja :welcome:welcome

cuatro
02-10-2008, 11:24
I hope to start between march and april. Started last year in mid february and had plenty of time to spare and that includes working in Port
Clinton, Pa for three weeks.