PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : [1] 2 3

KRYSS1022
05-07-2007, 19:08
Hey everyone. I figured i would strt this early. It takes alot of time and preparation for a thru-hike and knowing who is going when you are can really be of comfort to some people. I am 20 years old (will be 21 when i leave) I plan on leave March 2008 and i live in nj. I will be doing day hikes often to work up to my thru-hike. if anyone would like to join me and lives in the northenr nj area please feel free to contact me. otherwise to all interested in attempting a 2008 hike, feel free to register. Im looking forwards to seeing bunches of you on the trail :)

mountain squid
05-07-2007, 19:36
Well, GOOD LUCK all 08ers!!! Between this thread and the one already started, I guess I'll start working on the 'Class of 2008' list.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/book.gif

Trail Name
Direction
Start Date (if you change it please update via a reply)
Approach Trail
any additional info that you want the world to knowhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/talk.gif

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/rankn-cpo.gif

Cannibal
05-07-2007, 21:57
Cannibal
Nobo
March 12th(ish)
Visitor's center

Darn glad to be here; can't wait to meet you all!

Nest
05-07-2007, 22:10
No trail name yet
NOBO
Start date either last two weeks of March or first week of April. Depends on when I feel like starting. (Decision will probably be made a couple days before I leave.)
Doing Approach Trail

whykickamoocow
05-08-2007, 05:46
Whykickamoocow
Nobo
Mid march
Doing approach trail

Im going to fly into Atlanta from Australia, probably stay the first night in a hotel near the airport. The following day go to a nearby REI outlet and pick up some of my gear, rather than paying for shipping to Australia then bringing it back out on the plane (hiking equipment is so much cheaper in the US). Then head off to the Hikers Hostel and stay a night. Next day on with the hike.

ZEKE #2
05-08-2007, 07:23
Zeke
NOBO
April 1, 2008
Doing the approach trail

Been dreaming bout this trip, obsessing about this trip, for 10 years. My co-workers have been so patient, watching me set up gear in the office when it arrives in the mail. I stood outside in a down pour testing Frogg Toggs. When I'm working, I'm planning my trip. When I'm sleeping, I'm planning my trip. It has consumed my life. Can't wait.

whykickamoocow
05-08-2007, 07:31
Zeke, I definitely know how you feel, it is becoming a great obsession of mine that is for sure. Looking for great deals on equipment, comparing ounces between different products, investigating different gear combinations and options. It has got a hold of me, appalachian trail fever. I can't seem to have a conversation without mentioning something about the trail to someone.

Johnny Thunder
05-08-2007, 10:11
Hey everyone. I figured i would strt this early. It takes alot of time and preparation for a thru-hike and knowing who is going when you are can really be of comfort to some people. I am 20 years old (will be 21 when i leave) I plan on leave March 2008 and i live in nj. I will be doing day hikes often to work up to my thru-hike. if anyone would like to join me and lives in the northenr nj area please feel free to contact me. otherwise to all interested in attempting a 2008 hike, feel free to register. Im looking forwards to seeing bunches of you on the trail :)

Name: Johnny
Trail Name: TBD
Northbound on (or around) April 10th
Will decide on starting point at Hiker Hostel to make things easier for all involved.
Currently in Philly...actually, I'm currently in my Incredible-Shrinking Office.

Krys,

I graduated from Ridgewood Highschool and it is good to see another New Yorker (by proxy) hitting the trail next year. Hope to meet you out there. Side note: hiker buddy jokes with me that first hill NOBO out of the NY 17 parking lot is cakewalk by July. It had always beat us up on our Sunday morning/post bar jaunts. Good talk, see you out there.

All,

I cannot fully express the unbriddled excitement coursing through my every waking thought. Somehow, it seems that you all know exactly what I am talking about. Good luck at all in preparation and executing this dream. Those in Philly should consider looking me up for a run/hike in the Mighty Wissahick.

Johnny

trailfoot
05-08-2007, 10:24
Name: TBD
NOBO
End of March or first part of April
No Approach

I'll be burning up the trail. I have 4 months to complete my hike.

Cannibal
05-08-2007, 10:25
Name: Johnny
Somehow, it seems that you all know exactly what I am talking about.
Johnny

That is the coolest thing about this site! Everybody else is sick to death of my hiking obsession; it's nice to know I'm not alone.:sun

trailfoot
05-08-2007, 10:28
My wife told me she didn't want to hear about the trail for the next year. I just save all my conversations up when Iam at a get together with friends. Then my wife over hears my conversation and says I didnt' know that....you never told me ..... etc.

Freeleo
05-08-2007, 10:59
Trail Name = freleo
Direction = southbound
Start Date = circa may 18,2008

cheers
jch

gdeup
05-08-2007, 12:12
Trailfoot,
Ditto, We must of married sisters . My wife is sick of me talkin trail for 2008.

gdeup
05-08-2007, 12:22
I'm flipfloping .Going NOBO ,first and SOBO 2nd from HarpersFerry.
I'll be retired by then . I want to enjoy the Nature and take my time . Been plannin for 10+ yrs. Can't wait, Hope to see everyone of you somewhere on the AT trail. :banana

rusty075
05-08-2007, 19:40
Trusty
NOBO
Mid-March, or so, depending upon how the spring weather is looking.
I really liked starting from the Lodge last time, so will probably do that again. It's a nice "send-off" location for any friends or family that end up going to the start with me. If I'm by myself I might just stay with Josh and Leigh and start from FS42.

This will be my second attempt at the thru...the '06 hike ended a bit early, and rather painfully. Hopefully there will be no broken ankles in '08.

austinlowes17
05-08-2007, 19:49
Hopefully i'll be attempting a thru in late March / Early April of next year. (08)

Bohican
05-09-2007, 02:54
No Trail Name
NOBO
14 FEB 08 (ish?)
Doing the approach trail

Currently don't have a career/house/kids, etc., seems like the perfect time to do it. Starting early mainly so I can enjoy the solitude, but I do hope to meet some of y'all out there.

Skits
05-09-2007, 03:08
Trail Name: Skittles or Skits
NOBO
Feb. 12 or so (only 279? days away!)
Doing the approach trail (I skipped it last time)

My parents and sister were hoping that I had gotten the bug out of my system after my last thru hike. But no such luck. I dream of the trail more than ever. My friend Mountain Goat (AT '04) wrote me this when I told him of my latest plans: "You've obviously got the bug bad, and I know the symptoms: everyday life is just a necessary evil of work-and-save, interspersed with a lot of daydreaming and research" It couldn't be more true.

Mammoth
05-09-2007, 11:13
Mammoth
NOBO
Starting March 5
Approach Trail, even if it takes me three days.

I'm a midwesterner through-and-through, I've never even been east of the Mississippi River, so this trip is going to be new terrain for me. This is my graduation present to myself, so I'm going to take it really slow and try to have a great time instead of focusing on miles. I'll be happy to meet you all.

Dancer
05-09-2007, 13:37
amazonwoman (open to something new)
SOBO
Starting June 14th

I am totally committed to this. Nothing will stop me this time!!!

nonameyet
05-09-2007, 19:22
:)My first post!!:)

I have no name yet
NOBO
April 1st is my start date
I plan on doing the approach trail

Schulo
05-09-2007, 19:39
Trail Name: Murdock
NOBO
Start Date: April 1st
No Approach trail for me I will return and make it a day hike.

I just finished my shake down cruise I went from springer to NOC and had the time of my life. I will start back at springer in 08. Here is a link to a short video that captures some of the highlights. Check it out, hope you like it! I did.
http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=288192

RockStar
05-09-2007, 20:19
RockStar
NOBO
April 1st
Approach Trail: Will determine based on the shape I am in upon arrival!

freefall
05-09-2007, 20:48
Well, GOOD LUCK all 08ers!!! Between this thread and the one already started, I guess I'll start working on the 'Class of 2008' list.
....at least not as of yet. things change, I might do the whole thing....nah, I can't...unless...nah....well.....:D

Trail Name: Freefall
Direction: NOBO from DWG to Katahdin
Start Date: 05/18/08
Approach Trail: n/a (unless I end up actually thru-hiking)

Passionphish
05-09-2007, 20:58
Trail Name: Passionphish
NOBO
Starting March 24th 2008

Wanted it since I was ten... I'm 30. Will be 31 when I leave. I can't seem to focus on anything but the trail. Will be doing some practice runs here in Georgia and Tennessee. Anybody game?

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 22:04
....at least not as of yet. things change, I might do the whole thing....nah, I can't...unless...nah....well.....:D

Come on Freefall, you know you want to; everybody else is doing it. Besides, I was kinda hoping you'd bring some Fat Tire, I miss it dearly.

whykickamoocow
05-09-2007, 23:40
I second the come on freefall, do a thru. Maybe we could all put some peer pressure on freefall and watch him/her fold under the weight of our numbers. I feel like a bully now.

The Approach Trail, just how hard is it? What is the elevation gain, and over what distance. Don't tell me I have to have some fitness before the hike, was just planning on gritting my teeth and toughing it out. If this Approach Trail is more difficult than I originally thought, I might have to get out and do some walking.

freefall
05-09-2007, 23:56
Come on Freefall, you know you want to; everybody else is doing it. Besides, I was kinda hoping you'd bring some Fat Tire, I miss it dearly.
Oh, it's notta matter of wantin' to, I just think the nice people that have loaned me all this money to go to school, would be countin their vaults and lookin' around, and scratchin' there heads amongst other parts, and they'd be sayin " well if dat boy ain't in school, then why aren't we getting no checks from him to pay us back all that money we loaned `im?"
I've already tempted the fates once on that note, not sure if I could do it a gain before I actually graduate.:D
Of course, I'm sure more than one person has simply just forgot to stop hiking and ended up doing more than intended. :-?

Fat Tire, you from these here hills?

serenityrich
05-09-2007, 23:58
serenityrich
NOBO
Jan 14 -
Approach from Pinhoti Trail beginnning in Alabama.
Oh Dear God, it hurts so bad. I must see Springer Mountain and begin the AT and soon. The only thing that has given me any relief at all is the ache of a good eight mile walk. Why can't other people understand that the trail is the center of the universe and all that really matters in life.

The General
05-10-2007, 00:03
I'll be there starting early April, Thru'd in 2004 been in Baghdad ever since so I AM READY for those 2,000 + miles of freedom. OH YES bring it on, bring it on, every blessed inch.

Freeleo
05-10-2007, 08:37
yeah....another southbounder....wahoo:)

Cannibal
05-10-2007, 08:40
:-?

Fat Tire, you from these here hills?

Went to college at CSU and spent most of my time hanging out at the New Belgium Brewery and playing disc golf. Based on that sentance understand that I know what you mean about those people wanting their money back. :banana

Cannibal
05-10-2007, 08:43
I'll be there starting early April, Thru'd in 2004 been in Baghdad ever since so I AM READY for those 2,000 + miles of freedom. OH YES bring it on, bring it on, every blessed inch.

You aren't going to call out cadence are you? It's been too long, I don't remember any of the good ones! :D

rusty075
05-10-2007, 13:30
The Approach Trail, just how hard is it? What is the elevation gain, and over what distance. Don't tell me I have to have some fitness before the hike, was just planning on gritting my teeth and toughing it out. If this Approach Trail is more difficult than I originally thought, I might have to get out and do some walking.

I did the Approach last year, and even with my sub-par fitness level at the start it wasn't all that hard. You gain 1950' over its 8.3 mile length, although 800' of that gain is in the first mile. It feels hard because its your first day out. Skip it, and your first day, the hike from Springer up past Stover Creek, will be hard. You're screwed either way. It took me about 5 hours to do the Approach, so at worst it adds one more day to your time from Springer to Neels, if you spend the night atop Springer.

Personally, there was something very pyschologically satisfying about bagging one of the most famous peaks on the AT on the very first day, even if it was "optional" miles. Somehow driving to almost the top didn't seem the same. But, as always, HYOH. After the first couple of days no one worries about who hiked the Approach and who didn't.

edizard
05-10-2007, 13:41

Come on Freefall. I'm gonna try another thru next year, why shouldn't you. They creditors of yours will understand. Just tell them you will be studying the weather hands on for six months in several different regions of the country. I'm sure they can understand that.

Baloo

trailfoot
05-11-2007, 11:33
Well I wanted to say Welcome to noNameYet, Rock Star, Murdock (thanks for the vid see you in April), serenityrich (wow you must like the cold for a Jan start) Passionphish, and the general.

Thanks for your service General. My bro and my neighbor just came back, my other neighbors wife is suppose to be leaving first part of next yr. thanks again.

asherman
05-13-2007, 14:23
Trail Name: The I.V. (Intrepid Voyagers) Men
Direction: NOBO
Start Date: Looking like May 6-7
This is my partner and I's first time on the A.T. (or it will be)
I will be 20 he will be 23. We have a goal of doing the whole thing in three months. It sounds impossible but we have to try.

Grizzly Bear
05-13-2007, 15:18
Trail Name: Grizzly Bear
Start Date: some weekend in March
Approach Trail: Sure why not this time.

I might thru hike, might not. I am at least going to go to Rutland and finish my 2000 miler. I have hiked just under 1000 miles of the thing and was originally just going to finish it, but I have the time and money to go ahead and do the whole thing so I might as well.

flyingduckmonster
05-13-2007, 16:42
Trail Name: DuckMonster, for now.
Direction: Starting in the middle, going SoBO, going back to start point, going NoBo.
Start Date: Unknown, but mid- to late-March is what I'm thinking.
Other info: I'm in my mid-twenties. Kind of a novice hiker and not in great shape--hence the weird order. I figure it'll increase my chances of success. I haven't told my corporate overlords I'm doing this, yet, so that's kind of fun. I'm kind of a hippie: I homebrew beer and make candles and believe in the general worth and equality of every person. ... And I'm looking forward to being part of the AT Community. (I'm also really sad that I'm missing this year's Trail Days.)

Kerby
05-13-2007, 18:49
Count me in, goin North.

I've only wonted to do this sence I was in middle school (now I'm 38! m eegads!)

lookin to start early april or so.

tekiechick
05-14-2007, 13:24
Trailname: TBD
Start: March '08 - assuming things fall into place
Approach trail: TBD

...considering hiking GA this year and going from NC-> ME in '08

Nest
05-14-2007, 19:47
Trailname: TBD
Start: March '08 - assuming things fall into place
Approach trail: TBD

...considering hiking GA this year and going from NC-> ME in '08

Hey, saw on your trailjournal that you might do GA this June. I'll be doing my shake down hike from Ga-Fontana Dam from June 2-18. Might see you out there.

madstang
05-14-2007, 20:12
Well, I don't know how much prep is necessary. I am not saying to just grab your sleeping bag and a sandwich and hit the trail, but a lot of hype is put into planning, and I suppose that if you were without a support person or group helping it would be a bit harder, but... Two guys from North GA just finished an end-to-end thru hike without much along the lines of preperation. They just went. They started on (frozen) Feb 3rd at Springer and ended May 11th at Katahdin which was also frozen. There were very few days that they did not see ice of some variety - but they made it easily with very little along the lines of bouncing supplies etc. They carried cell phones, MP3 players, digital cameras - one even carried a guitar for over 1000 miles. All of which is supposed to be too much. They hitched into towns (which, judging from your pictures WON'T be a problem for you) to resupply at least once a week except through the Smokies - 10 days in a big snowstorm.
My advice from that is; Be prepared for anything - get the companion book and READ AHEAD to plan your supply stops, visit the towns, and enjoy the trip - don't listen to the nay-sayers. It is not easy, but it can be done - even without the months of prep work "if" you have moderate backpacking experience, you know what works and what you are comfortable carrying. My guys were routinely turning 30 mile days after the first 3 weeks on the trail. Don't fail to plan, just don't over stress it. You can always take a few days off at any of the towns along the way. IT was correctly coined that finishing is 99% attitude.

Peanut
05-15-2007, 10:49
Trail name: Peanut
Starting date: Mid-Marchish, give or take :)
Approach Trail: Yuppers

See you out there! :)

gatorhiker
05-21-2007, 17:42
Trail Name: Gator
Direction: Start-Approach Trail:Amicalola Falls, Ga.
Start Date: last week of March 08

Right now, I am in the logistics planning stage. Was hiking some of the Florida Trails untill the fires through ou this state (my home- Jacksonville, Fl.). Retired in Feb of 07. Right now I am 195 lbs which is still heavy for my height (6'-0"), I want to get down to around 170 before I attempt thru hike. I walk 15 miles per day with 35lb pack and a 3lb ankle wt on each ankle. My friends say I am frigging crazy for doing this, but I really don't care what they think. At my age (63) as I look back I have always been commited to job, employees, etc. and putting food on the table with a roof above my family's head, kinda always ignored me, myself and I..........as well as my spiritual self. I am changing my past thought patterns and from hiking some of the trails here in Fl and the Okeefenokee area I have become more focused on my physical self and which has led me more and more towards my spiritual self. After having visited the Smoky Mountains many, many times in my past, I have always had it in the back of my mind----"Dang, I've got to hike this entire A.T.!".

The time has come for me to live out my goal and my dream.....the last few months I think about it all wakened hours and minutes and I even dream about it.

I'm so pumped..........I'm gonna put on the weighted vest and ankle wts and put in another 3+ miles this evening (already put in 15.5)........
again, I really don't care what my friends think........

OLIVER WENDEL HOLMES......once said......"It's not where you are in life that is important, but instead, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO REALIZE THE DIRECTION YOU HEADING INTO."

Rosettr
05-21-2007, 20:41
No trail name yet, just Robert from Corpus

NOBO

Mid March - April 1st

Not planning on doing the approach trail

Baum Trigger
05-22-2007, 01:31
Start mid march, approach trail- yes. Can hardly contain myself and still 10 months to go...

serenityrich
05-22-2007, 01:51
I've been walking six to eight miles a day getting into shape for next year. Found my first blisters yesterday. Ran to the store and bought my bandage and moleskin. Then lovinging rapped my toes so I could walk again today. "Isn't life good."

crzy33w
05-23-2007, 04:04
i am 32 years old and will be medically retired from the army which i have served the last 11 years of my life. I am a type -1 diabetic and will be hitting the trail in mrch some time. Im thinking a few days after st. patty day, which i will hopefully be spending over seas again. I am open to any and all advice. I am especially looking for other Diabetics who have thru hiked and their advice and experiences on the trail. thank you.

Miss Graceful
05-28-2007, 18:14
Miss Graceful
NOBO
March 15th ish or somewhere close to that
Leaving from Springer

Was supposed to be Class of '07, but life got in the way. I can't wait to head back out there again. Lots o folks think I'm a bit bonkers fro starting over completely (I have a few hundred miles under my belt from this year's attempt.) But HYOH, right??:sun

Nest
05-28-2007, 20:31
Miss Graceful
NOBO
March 15th ish or somewhere close to that
Leaving from Springer

Was supposed to be Class of '07, but life got in the way. I can't wait to head back out there again. Lots o folks think I'm a bit bonkers fro starting over completely (I have a few hundred miles under my belt from this year's attempt.) But HYOH, right??:sun

So even though you got a few hundred miles into the hike last year, you will still be starting at Springer? Is that so you have a solid thru hike in one year? I would do the same thing. You may not get another chance to do another hike, so do it to your liking the first time. No regrets.

rusty075
05-29-2007, 11:00
Yeah, that's my plan as well. Did about 500 miles in '06, but liked that first quarter enough to want to hike it a second time. Gluttens for punishment, I suppose.

Freeleo
05-29-2007, 12:57
where are the southbounders for 2008????

Frosty
05-29-2007, 14:39
Trail Name: GatorYour Trail Journals link is busted.

oldbear
05-29-2007, 17:07
Trail Name : TBD
NOBO
Starting March 19-21
Approach Trail
I was actually all set to do the this hike in the Spring of 1982 but a major orthopaedic injury prevented that from happening. Twenty- six years later I'm going to give it another try.
It is my intention to hike up Katahdin and rather than heed tradition and returning via the AT or Abol Slide Trail I was planning on doing Knife Edge and the hiking down into Chimney Pond then out via Roaring Brook Trail.
I've done enough four season hiking not to be under any illussions about what I am getting myself into so barring an major injury I should be able to complete this trek.
During the next ten months I need to get myself into serious hiking shape while paradoxically remaining twenty five pounds overweight.
Fat & fit -the new reality.
I think that having this forum is great and thanks to all who are participating in it.

josiblue
05-30-2007, 12:34
hello, i'm josiah, or josi, either works. graduating from UK (finally) in december. so here is the standard boiler plate:

TN: i'll let you decide
NOBO
MARCH 1, 2008, dawn, springer
Approach Feb 29, 2008

see you there!
~josi

"oh child of countless dreams"

Cheesewhiz
06-02-2007, 15:14
I thruhiked the AT in 06 and now im itchin' , I think im leaving Jan 1 or shortly there after to do as much of the florida trail while im laid off work this coming winter. Just happens to be the best time to hike in FL. If anybody is interested shoot me a line. Im going for 2-3 months.

roxy33x
06-02-2007, 18:46
Trail name: TBD
NoBo
Starting March 8th, on me and my husband's 5th year anniversary!
Doing the approach trail

We were planing on going this year, but as they say, life got in the way. Its all or bust now!! 10 months to prepare and work our butts off!

Hope to see you all out there!

Angee
06-02-2007, 19:43
No Trail name
NOBO
Late March - April 1st
Not planning on doing the approach trail but this may change.

pumatrack
06-04-2007, 12:59
NOBO- alone :(
Trail name: Bear Bait
Mid March
Approach trail

I'm coming from No. VA. so I'll take Amtrak to Gainesville, GA and then have the Hiker Hostel pick me up, feed me and bring me to Springer in the AM.
I have hiked 10-15 miles a day, twice a week for over a year now, sometimes even 20-30 miles with a 30 lb pack. On top of 5 days a week at the gym and two IronMan qualifiers. I'm more than ready and can't possibly be more of a fanatic at this point. I live and dream about this thing night and day. I think I need help...

shuffle
06-04-2007, 14:24
NOBO
Trail Name: Shufflebum
March 1
Springer - already did the approach and not doing it again.
I hiked in 2004 and had to gt off because of knee injury off and on and could not complete it. I am going to do the WHOLE thing this time!!! I am ready with new knees to try out and the doctor's blessing on the trip. He says he will be my support doctor if I run into trouble. Can't wait to gt back out there.

Frosty
06-04-2007, 18:05
Any 2008 hopefuls going the ATC Centennial in NJ?

http://www.ramapo2007.org/

Maybe we could all meet up Friday night or something and talk about start dates, plans, etc?

Or at the CARE OF THE FEET workshop on Saturday morning. That ought to interest every thruhiker :D

wilconow
06-05-2007, 21:37
Trail Name: Not yet
Start Date: May 1st
Approach Trail: Yes

I just did my longest trip (8 days, Spivey Gap to Davenport, NC/TN..check my gallery) and have made my mind up. I may never get this chance again.

Anyone going to the gathering? A friend was telling me it's good if you're planning a thru. though, I'm not sure..

Johnny Thunder
06-06-2007, 08:33
Trail Name: Not yet
Start Date: May 1st
Approach Trail: Yes

I just did my longest trip (8 days, Spivey Gap to Davenport, NC/TN..check my gallery) and have made my mind up. I may never get this chance again.

Anyone going to the gathering? A friend was telling me it's good if you're planning a thru. though, I'm not sure..

Wilconow,

Which gathering are we talkin', here?

Johnny

wilconow
06-11-2007, 09:48
Wilconow,

Which gathering are we talkin', here?

Johnny

aldha..............

Johnny Thunder
06-11-2007, 13:14
I'm in...barring unforseen work-related commitments I'll offer rides to those in the Murda'City area.

Johnny

wilconow
06-11-2007, 13:31
I'm in...barring unforseen work-related commitments I'll offer rides to those in the Murda'City area.

Johnny

do you mean you're in for aldha 2007 in gettysburg? are you doing a thru in '08?

Johnny Thunder
06-11-2007, 13:44
Yes.

(sorry, I can't just let that hang there. Yes, I should be at Gettysburg. Yes, I'll be heading North on or around April 1.)

chip B
06-11-2007, 16:32
Chipmonk
Sobo
This

chip B
06-11-2007, 16:34
Chipmonk
Sobo
This Is MY 3 RD START KEEP RUNNING INTO SOME ODD PROBLEMS,, TRAIL UNDERWATER IN 06,
START DATE APPROX JUNE 15 2008
THINKING OF STARTING AT THE TOP TO SAY THAT I DID THE WHOLE TRAIL
IN ONE SHOT WHO KNOWS FOR SURE KATADIN WASNT EASY

wilconow
06-11-2007, 16:35
Yes.

(sorry, I can't just let that hang there. Yes, I should be at Gettysburg. Yes, I'll be heading North on or around April 1.)

Johnny, cool. Hopefully I will meet you at some of the workshops. BTW do you like the singer Johnny Thunders???

Johnny Thunder
06-11-2007, 16:56
Johnny, cool. Hopefully I will meet you at some of the workshops. BTW do you like the singer Johnny Thunders???

I like the dolls (on occasion)...A much bigger fan of "Johnny Thunder" and pretty much all else from "The Village Green Preservation Society" (Kinks). That's the impetus. Bigger still, is my fandom of Blur (which is how I got into The Kinks in the first place..."Parklife"="Village Green".) If I was named Dan I'd surely be Abnormal.

Johnny

The Mayor
06-13-2007, 08:48
I'll be starting 1st week of April '08.
35 y.o.
Start at Springer, end at.....?

I've been section hiking Ga thru NC the last 8 years, and now I got the time to walk a bit futher. All the way, maybe. NC mountain boy by birth, Texan by choice, I'm hiking before I move back to paradise, or Austin TX as some call it.

I'm bringing my dog, Bo Wevil, so I'm going to blueblaze the Smokies since no dogs allowed. I wouldn't recommend skipping the Smokies, if you never have hiked them. The park is a hassle, crowded shelters and tourists swarming the knobs, but it's worth it. Frigging beautiful. And the reward is Curtis's place, Standing Bear at the end. Don't miss it.

Shout outs to 50 short, Smokie, Caveman, Lumpy, and Redbeard.

toppup1
06-14-2007, 20:49
:welcome Will be starting in March or April with a group. May do Georgia in January while waiting for my last W2 to arrive here in Florida.:sun

stranger
06-19-2007, 04:00
Stranger here...I will be thru-hiking northbound starting sometime in Mid to late April. Hope to see you all out there.

Maybe
06-19-2007, 13:32
Trail name: Maybe
Start Date: March 30
NoBo
Approach - Yes

I have a brother in Greenville SC who will drive me to the trail head at the crack of dawn. I'm going to drive down (from Arlington, VA), leave my car there and fly back to Greenville from Boston. Yesterday, my sister-in-law's parents, who live in Boston, offered to pick me up in Katahdin. I'm considering this my first trail magic. I'm a musician and I'm having a hard time considering not touching a guitar for five months. Right now, I'm leaning towards maildropping a backpacker git to Miss Janet's or Damascus at the latest ... any words of advice from those who've humped a git would be most welcome.

Frosty
06-19-2007, 15:27
Right now, I'm leaning towards maildropping a backpacker git to Miss Janet's or Damascus at the latest ... any words of advice from those who've humped a git would be most welcome.I've met several backpackers who were gits, but I've never humped one.

wilconow
06-19-2007, 15:29
Trail name: Maybe
Start Date: March 30
NoBo
Approach - Yes

I have a brother in Greenville SC who will drive me to the trail head at the crack of dawn. I'm going to drive down (from Arlington, VA), leave my car there and fly back to Greenville from Boston. Yesterday, my sister-in-law's parents, who live in Boston, offered to pick me up in Katahdin. I'm considering this my first trail magic. I'm a musician and I'm having a hard time considering not touching a guitar for five months. Right now, I'm leaning towards maildropping a backpacker git to Miss Janet's or Damascus at the latest ... any words of advice from those who've humped a git would be most welcome.

Do you ever play Iota?

Maybe
06-19-2007, 16:12
Frosty - once you go git, you never go back! My last girlfriend was a total gilf.

Wilconow - No, but I've been there a lot; great club. I'm starting a five night stand tonight at Murphy's in Alexandria - tonight and Wednesday upstairs and Thurs-Sat upstairs. If you're in the neighborhood, stop in and say hello. I'll be the guy named Tim.

Long Shot
06-19-2007, 17:02
Trail Name: Long Shot
Start Date: March 20, 2008
Approach Trail: No

It's been two years to date since I left the Trail... way too long for me to be away. I can think of nothing else but getting back out there. I've just commited myself to this a few days ago and now the excitement is building. Happy trails, everyone!!

wilconow
06-20-2007, 13:00
wow, last few posts are by balt/dc 'ers !

maybe: yeah i love iota.. work down the street in rosslyn. i think ive been to murphys before - its in oldtown right? maybe ill show up

edit.. maybe: i just checked your myspace. pogues are my favorite! if i do make it to murphys ill be the guy requesting "the irish rover"!

Flexo
06-22-2007, 23:39
Trail Name: Flexo, but you can call me Bender (or make up a new one)
Start Date: Late April / Early May
Approach Trail: No thanks :cool:

I am trying to pin my boss down for an exact date, I'll post it when I know for sure. If it was up to him I would start on January 30th. Brrrrrrrr....

I really only have a bit more than 3 months available to hike. While I'd like to attempt the full trail I am not so foolish as to expect to complete it in that time frame. The current plan is to evaluate my situation at Harper's Ferry and blaze on if time permits. I am SOOOOO tempted to quit my job. Anyone want to hire a grubby hiker with 2 engineering degrees in late 2008?

I never really paid much attention to the ages, genders and locations of the folks that are already committing themselves to this trek. I think it is awesome to see such a wide variety hitting the trails.

Just under 300 days and counting....see you out there!!!

Dirty Feet
06-24-2007, 02:36
Trail Name : Halfmoon, or Dirty Feet
NOBO
Early April
Approch Trail - yes!

I grew up around the AT, taking hiking for granted until I got older. I'm 23. Last summer during a cross country trip hitch hiking and hopping trains, I ended up on the AT three times, all by mistake or accident. My sense of adventure was very much quenched when on the trail. I was dubbed a B.L.A.H.S member and I never thought hiking would be as fun and enduring as riding trains. I ended up at Trail Days 06 and met some of the best people I will ever know; Mala, Miss Janet, Jester, The Dude, Lint, Sam I am, Wheather Carrot, Baltimore Jack, Bag O Tricks, and the infamous No Pain who taught me everything I didn't know I didn't know! You know? AHahahaa -
I am ready to set out on another adventure for sure! I grew up in Winchester, VA, but now I live in Eugene, OR, and will be hiking with my friend Kyle (no trail name for him yet) who lives in PA. Any other wingnuts willing to pass the time with a boy scount and a little punk girl with nothing but spunk are welcome to look us up!! I'm so excited to get free again!!! I really look forward to seeing you guys out there!!! "No Pain, no gain, no Maine!!!"

Socrates
06-24-2007, 04:46
Yeah, I'll be there! I only got to Fontana Dam this year because I had to get off. My mom was sick, I was NOT over my break up with ex-fiance, and I left too early, not enough hikers out there for my taste. Hell, I'd leave again now, but I'd never make it and even if I could, I'd rather take my time. I miss it, but that's just how the cookie crumbled. Wiser and a bit of experience now, to Maine we go next year!

cbserafin7
06-24-2007, 09:21
Luxury Lite Gear Luxury Lite Gear Thru-Hiker Pack Has anyone used this backpack. Ultralite combo of carbon fiber and aluminum. Very desirable weight; and has 4000 cu in
[email protected]

AT name: Indy Girl:confused:

cbserafin7
06-24-2007, 09:29
Indy Girl here. I'll be leaving frm Springer Mar 15 thereabout. My want and need is to hike with those experience thru-hikers. Training daily with pack and am asking questions and need answers about lite gear. Don't care about $$$.

Quote: not all who wander are lost.

Gryphon
06-25-2007, 03:43
so I stayed. Then I planned to go in '07... but I got more involved in my work. It has hit me recently, a thought that scares me deeply, that... that SOMETHING is always going to come up. Words can't describe how frighteni
Trail Name: Gryphon
Start Date: Mid to Late March (undecided)
Direction: Northbound
Approach Trail: Nah, don't think so.

Not many know I've committed myself to do this. I made an attempt of it a few years back but regrettably left the trail. I've wanted to return every Spring since. I thought maybe I could get my arse out there in '06... but my family needed me,ng of a thought that is to me. Don't get me wrong now, I love my family and I enjoy my work (not everyone can say that)... its just that... I can't get the Trail off my mind. It's something I HAVE to do.

I sleep better out there, I'm happy out there. I yearn for the day I can take that first step north from Springer. The first night back in a shelter. All the extraordinary people I'm sure to meet. To stop and say, "I'm Home."

Gryphon
06-25-2007, 03:52
Trail Name: Gryphon
Start Date: Mid to Late March (undecided)
Direction: Northbound
Approach Trail: Nah, don't think so.

Not many know I've committed myself to do this. I made an attempt of it a few years back but regrettably left the trail a couple months in. I've wanted to return every Spring since. I thought maybe I could get my arse out there in '06... but my family needed me, so I stayed. So I planned to go in '07... but I got more involved in my work. It has hit me recently, a thought that scares me deeply, that... that SOMETHING is always going to come up. Words can't describe how frightening of a thought that is to me. Don't get me wrong now, I love my family and I enjoy my work (not everyone can say that)... its just that... I can't get the Trail off my mind. Not a day goes by that I don't see something that reminds me off my time out there. I've got the bug, don't you think?

I sleep better out there, I'm happy out there. I yearn for the day I can take that first step north from Springer. The first night back in a shelter. All the extraordinary people I'm sure to meet. To stop and say, "I'm Home."

Gryphon
06-25-2007, 04:07
Ick. Goodness... I can't seem to find a way to edit the first post I made (the one that is totally frakked up, yeah, that one). I don't know if it was a slip on this tiny laptop or being awake at this time of day...or both... but could someone please erase it. Thanks anyway. Sorry for the trouble.

gamtns2000
06-29-2007, 20:47
Trail Name: Wandering Soul or tbn (to be named)
NOBO
Start Date: Mar 11th - Superman's birthday (my dad)

Wilconow,

The Gathering is a great place for information, inspiration,
and fellowship. One of the big items on the agenda during
Friday nights opening festivities is the Roll call of the Years.
The Coordinator for the event calls off the years, and the people
that are there that completed that year, stand up. Last year,
Gene Espy was there for 1951! Also, there was a new gentleman
there who was from 1959 I believe. Very inspiring and motivating! In fact, the Roll call was one of the reasons I first went to a Gathering. It sounded really cool, and I really
wanted to see that. Definitely worth it!
The Gathering also has, as one of its events, a forum where
thru-hikers from the previous year sit on a panel so people can
ask them questions. A great way to get the most up-to-date
information. The Gathering also has sessions on resupply,
gear, wilderness medicine, other trails, plus vendors, displays,
and informal jam sessions! Something I definitely look forward
to each year. I have been going since '03, and planning on being
there again, especially since I plan on thru-hiking in '08. This
year, the Gathering will be at Gettysburg College on Columbus Day
Weekend.

Kirby
07-01-2007, 20:45
Trail Name: Kirby
Year: 2008
Start Date: March First

Yeah, I think that says everything. I live in Maine, the AT is amazing here.

Kirby:sun:rolleyes:

cbserafin7
07-02-2007, 10:22
Greetings all of you 2008 thru hikers.
IndyGirl here. Currently researching trek(sp) hiker poles. Anything lighter?
[email protected]

Heater
07-02-2007, 11:09
[email protected]

Most of the time lighter is better. I am not so sure that is the case with trekking poles. They may be an exception to the rule as strength and durability is the biggest factor here. They take a beating.

Frosty
07-02-2007, 13:13
[email protected] heavy are the one you have now?

There are trade-offs for lightness, in strength and cost. Carbon fiberpoles are lighter than aluminum, but snap rather then bend. (Aluminum poles can snap also, but bend a little first). Carbon fiber isn't a good choice for your first set of poles. Use a sturdier, cheaper set until you see for yourself what happens when the get stuck between rocks, roots etc, and you learn when you need to take your hands out of the straps.

Shock-absorber poles cost more than non-shock absorber ones and they are heavier (not much, admittedly, but there are inserts and springs added). For this expense and weight penalty, you get a pole that is annoying when you want to carefully put your weight on it gong down a steep hill. I cannot ever imagine slamming the poles so hard at the ground that I need to cushion the shock of the blow.

Non-telescoping poles are lighter and cheaper than the equivalent telescoping pole. They are awkward when traveling, though.

If your goal is lightness, not durability or money, for $96 get these. They weigh 2.6 ounces each:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gossamer_gear_lightrek.html

If money is your prime consideration, follow Warren Doyle's advice; Go to a Goodwill Store and buy a pair of used ski poles for a buck. You get a pair of the least expensive poles you can buy and Goodwill put your dollar to good use.

I have two sets of poles. A ten-year-old pair of EMS poles I obught for about 40 bucks. They weight 11 ounces each, are aluminum, and have been through the wars. THey are adjustable, but I keep the feature turned of (yes, they continually turn back on, but I keep twisting them back off). They are bent and stratched and most of the numbers have been rubbed off. I used them on weekend trips and day hikes. As soon as they break, I will repace them with a cheap pair of aluminum, telescoping, non-shock-absorbing poles.

For hikes longer than a week, when I have to consider cummulative fatigue, I use a pair of Komperdells from REI. They are the DuoLock men's model, weigh 6 ounces each, and cost $130 for the pair (on sale sometimes at REI for $99.)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/komperdell_carbon_tour_duolock_gg.html

Like a lot of gear, you don't know what you want/need/like until you actually use it. Borrowing gear, or buying cheap used gear to start is often a good idea. Then you can buy the right stuff after you understand and are familiar with the gear.

V8
07-06-2007, 00:30
V8
NOBO
March 1st-ish
???

Glad to see a list taking shape. It's fun to meet other people who do this stuff! Since I'm starting early, and am not real fast, I expect to see most of you en route. Excellent!

chad4yew
07-06-2007, 21:46
Chad
NOBO
First week of March
Approach Trail included

1st timer from Long Island hoping to get away from everyday life for a bit. Not 100% sure as to my commitment to going, but it's been in my head for the last two months and I have started gathering gear for a checklist, saving funds, and making a rough schedule; not to mention reading loads of information from you guys :).

Hope to see the AT in its entirety.

partinj
07-09-2007, 13:42
Hi ever one i had to delay my hike till 2008 but this time come hell or hi water i will be on the trail. Feb 3 2008

Trail Name Easy Gone :banana

Over Yonder
07-13-2007, 23:04
No name yet
NOBO
March 19th

Can't wait till I get to lead some of my campers on the trail in Aug. I know for most thru's the pesky kids are a pain in the butt... but I personally love seeing young'ns get out there... just one step closer to next year!

snifur
07-15-2007, 16:58
Snifur
SoBo
01 June 2008, commited, 100%, absolutely, nothing to stop me. at least i dont think anything can stop me.

Where r all the soboers?

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 17:23
Oh, they're around.....it just takes 'em longer to respond.

Has to do with doing everything backasswards, I guess..... :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 17:39
::: Bites Jack on the toes and smiles at Marta :::

thelifejunkie
07-15-2007, 22:39
I'll be there. First week of June. Looking forward to meeting all you people going against the flow, what ever your reason may be. Be well and smile.

thelifejunkie
07-15-2007, 22:42
I'll be there. Looking foward to meet all you going against the flow, whatever you reason may be. Be well and smile.

wesxero
07-22-2007, 03:05
Xero
SOBO
And

wesxero
07-22-2007, 03:05
Xero
SOBO
And early June is about the best I can give you at this

mobileman
07-22-2007, 04:36
Starting late March from Amicola falls.

Roland
07-22-2007, 04:41
Starting late March from Amicola falls.

Welcome to WB, Bill.

I've seen other posts here from Winter Haven, FL, though I can't remember names. Keep your eyes open, you may find a training partner in your neighborhood.

Good luck with your thru-hiking plans.

kritter
07-22-2007, 08:18
Hi I'm Kristen, haven't got a trail name yet. I'm waiting for someone to dubb me something funny! I'm 18, will be 19 when I start the trail north bound next spring.

I was so set on leaving the spring of 07 but the only way I could have completed the trail was starting from the north headed south so I postponed my trip till 2008.

This is it! See you guys ; P

WILKEBEAST
07-22-2007, 21:01
no name yet(for me or wife), was Hitman in 2005
NOBO(thru-hike #2 but wife coming this time)
March 15th(but going to keep an eye on the weather)
approach trail

dockaos
07-25-2007, 19:18
No trail name yet (gonna see what sticks to me)
NOBO
March 1st
Approach Trail

Hope to see many of you on the Trail! I'll be the slow guy going through M&M withdrawal (not a pretty sight).

DeeHiker
07-26-2007, 13:25
Starting at Springer in May 08...will hike for 8 days. Will pick up where I left off sometimes later [probably in September] and continue to section hike like this for a while. It may take me several years, but that's okay.

Can't take more than a week off at work at one time. boohoo:(

Anahata
07-26-2007, 15:26
Anahata
NOBO
March 10ish
Approach Trail

I live in NJ and get out almost every weekend in NJ and the Lower Hudson Valley. I also go to NH about once a month...if anyone is interested in joining me, let me know!

Lost Boy
07-27-2007, 11:46
Lost Boy
NOBO
Late March / Early April
Approach Trail

Im trying for the 2008 season but may end up going in 2009 depending on funds.

I live in East-Central Vermont. 'Bout 45 mins from the Whites. The Green Mountains all around.

Been hiking all my life and am always in the woods.
If anyone is in the area or coming to the area and is looking for some company while hiking - get in touch. Im out there all the time.

vjh
08-01-2007, 12:57
Well, life has its way of sortin it all out and looks like a 2008 AT attempt is in the works...I am going to start planning, packing and payin off bills with a mid to late March start in mind..watching the weather.

Happy to be with some fine folks...I have most of my gear although will be looking for just the right tent (6moons...:) ) and a new sleeping bag...most of my clothes are worn out too...

Not sure what I'll do about resupply but am leaning towards not sending a lot of drops...but would love to know if there is any good way to bounce meds etc forward? I've got a lot to learn...

so if anyone wants to train with a NE OHIO 2008er let me know. See y'all at the Gathering. I plan on hiking in to Pine Grove Furnace from 8 miles south of MD border as an early shakedown (and see if I can still bp!)

The Missing Kink
aka Vera
(gulp)

SawnieRobertson
08-01-2007, 14:30
I have received the go-ahead from ONE of my daughters to take care of ONE of my Standard Poodles. If I can make arrangements for the other two, then I will begin my hike in March, 2008. With only a little tweak here and a little tweak there, my equipment is already in place. So is my maildrop food.

I began at NOC, heading south, once before and liked it very much. Then to Springer and catch a ride back to NOC to begin north. Are you already confused?

If not, get this: Then NOC to VA 670. Board a plane to Manchester, New Hampshire, and hike north from Hanover to Katahdin.

Still alive and able? Okay, then back to Manchester and head south from Hanover back to DWG.

Still able to walk? Skip most of Pennsylvania. Head south from where I begin, hike back home to VA 670.

If I have enough desire and can walk, THEN do Pennsylvania.

Let's just say that my plan is to be a-flippin' and a-floppin' while managing to enjoy every step of the trail.

I've only done a little over 400 miles in the past with some re-hiked sections. The trail is different every year, every season. The experience is likewise different. The one constant is the enjoyment.

So . . .

SOBO from NOC
NOBO from NOC to VA 670
NOBO from Hanover
SOBO from Hanover to DWG
SOBO Boiling Springs or thereabouts to VA670
NOBO Boiling Springs or thereabouts to DWG

[It's THAT simple. Stop shaking your head.]

Latter half of March, depending on weather--

Kinnickinic

wrongway_08
08-03-2007, 20:58
No trail name yet
March 1st
North bound

I live around the Westminster Maryland area and would like to do backpacking trips in the Southern PA, Western MD area. Drop a line if your interested!

See ya on the trail - Rick

thelifejunkie
08-03-2007, 21:39
I've changed...I'm heading north, with the masses. I'll be there early to mid March, see yall there.

cbserafin7
08-04-2007, 12:15
Hey Everyone,
Just purchased a Bush Buddy Ultra and am planning on using solid fuel tablets. Using an FireLite 1100 pot.
Looking for information on pad(s) cost vs weight? UltraLite 3/4 1 lb seems too heavy am I right?
Looking for information on Tents Ultra Lite have looked into UBG122 Katahdin - 26 ozs. Any other suggestions for ulta lite packs for thru-hikking

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
IndyGirl

Cindy from Indy
08-04-2007, 14:42
:) No trail name yet.
I'm NOBO from Springer Mtn, April '08

Looking forward to the challenge, the new friendships and the fun!!:banana

SparrowHawk
08-09-2007, 11:04
No Trail name as of yet
NOBO
14/15 Feb 2008 (ish)
Doing the Approach Trail

Hey all,
I have been reading the many posts and thought I would finally register so that I may contribute too. I plan to start early in 2008 because I have to make it back by Mid-July for Med. School:rolleyes: I am from the TN region which is close to Davenport Gap and Hot Springs. So, I've had the chance to live near the trail for 14 years and feel that she is finally calling my name. Seems like I will have some company after all (especially Bohican, since our times seem to correlate). Happy Trails!!

Pockets
08-09-2007, 14:34
Pockets
NOBO
Feb 29th
Doing the Approach Trail

kiwihiker
08-09-2007, 15:10
Hello,

I hope to set of on foot from Springer in the second week of march (depending on wheather) Its being my goal to hike north bound to maine for the last six years and now i have finally got the green light!! I do most of my hiking on the AT and along many other trails up in the white mountains each year and theres just something about being in the alpine zone that i just love!! Anyways i try to do anywhere between 80 or 100 miles or so each year buts its just never enough.......... I have found alot of good useful information on this site that is really helpful when it come to fine tuning ya gear! I have dropped 6 pounds from my pack weight by just flicking through these forums. Cant tell march to get out there and hope to meet a lot of you hikers along the way.........happy hiking!!!

ATbound
08-14-2007, 19:49
No trail name yet
NoBo
March 15ish
Approach trail

I don't think anyone I've told yet actually believes me. They must be thinking it will get out of my system before I actually do it. How wrong they are!

Cassiusblack
08-17-2007, 08:19
Hey all, i'll be 21 when i NOBO in March 08.
From the UK (need to get my VISA sorted!)

Doxie
08-21-2007, 14:09
Lisa K.
No trail name yet
NOBO
April 1st, 2008 or roundabout since it falls on a Tuesday and I want my friends/family to come see us off.
Doing the approach trail, I think? Haven't completely decided.
Hiking with my boyfriend, Adam, no trail name yet for him, either.
Working two jobs until then. And counting down the days until my escape!

Can't wait to meet you all!

Johnny Thunder
08-21-2007, 14:44
Lisa,

Look for Pike County and Boognish (two Athens natives currently in southern VT). They should both be done with their hikes in 6 weeks. You'll smell them. Both should have volumes of wisdom to impart.

Otherwise, see you on/around the 1st.

Johnny

baxter
08-21-2007, 19:31
I'm NOBO from Springer on March 21st, 2008. Looking forward to meeting lots of you on the trail.

dvhiker
08-22-2007, 01:19
Planning to hike the AT starting in GA May 2008. I am planning to be on the trail for about 90 days but not thru-hiking. Plan to stop and stay in hostels every 4th day.

NakedSasquatch
08-30-2007, 12:29
no trail name yet
NOBO
mid-march (thinking about the 15th but nothing is definite)

I can't wait to be on the trail! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

wrongway_08
08-30-2007, 16:21
No trail name
NoBo
March 1st

Have been waiting for a response from my job, they have not said anything yet. Have only been talking to them about this for over 2 months now. SOooo, forget them, I have been using up all my vacation time and have a load of sick days to kill off also.

Have no idea what to do when I get back but it'll all fall into place.

Cant wait to meet you all, get to check out all the custom gear I keep reading about. Maybe if i get the bug, I will join some of you with a home made stove! doing the small sections hikes to get ready only makes it harder to wait for the start date to roll around.

gamtns2000
09-01-2007, 10:53
As much as I was hoping for 2008, it is now going to be 2009. I am
ready to go now, but money etc not quite there. I do feel like a
caged animal and only the woods will cure that.
I did get to do 2/3 of the Roller Coaster in July with my sister,
ending up in Harpers Ferry. Great time!
Looking forward to the Gathering!
Wandering Soul

cbserafin7
09-02-2007, 11:56
I am Indy Girl. Hi
This is for those women and men who are hiking the AT on March 15 or perhaps before in late Feb.
Contact me please and let's get acquainted. Dropped 21 lbs in trainning so far and have lowered weight in pack substancially. Solid Dependable and fun.
Indy Girl
[email protected]

nonameyet
09-02-2007, 12:04
Revision for me. I was going to leave April 1st, but now I'm looking into leaving the week of March 15th. :)

cbserafin7
09-02-2007, 12:05
Greetings glad to hear you and your wife are hiking the trail at same time that I am Mar 15 is my date for departure from Springer. Could be talked into late Feb if all are willing. I have been in trainning. Mature Female with many interests and possess a truly fun look at life and what comes.
Let me know if you would be interested in embarking together at Springer

Joe8484
09-05-2007, 00:53
2008 NOBO
No trail name yet
April 3 (doing the approach trail)

I will be hiking the Batona trail Septmeber 20 and the black forest trail October 8th if anybody in the northeast is interested. e-mail me at [email protected]

SGT Rock
09-05-2007, 01:05
I thought I had already signed into this thread, I must be thinking of another, anyhow...

I'll be starting from Springer about the 1st of February (maybe earlier, maybe later) and taking it slow for the first month as it warms up. I will be driving up on FS42 and then walking the BMT for the first 280 or so miles until I get to Davenport Gap on the north side of the Smokies - then I will link back up and finish on the AT. I've already section hiked all the AT south of Davenport Gap anyway.

Keeping my journal here as a test of the new WhiteBlaze journal software. I'm look forward to meeting you guys out there next year.

corialice81
09-05-2007, 14:09
No trail name yet
NOBO
End of April (as soon as I get done teaching chem labs)
Doing the approach trail, GA

Sloth
09-07-2007, 15:43
I'll be there march first, NOBO. anyone starting around that time?

JERMM
09-07-2007, 16:09
Rabbit
NOBO
April 1

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 16:16
I'll be there march first, NOBO. anyone starting around that time?

Yeah, me and about 3,000 of my soon to be closest friends. :D

cbserafin7
09-10-2007, 16:02
What does "NOBO" mean?

[email protected]

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 16:03
What does "NOBO" mean?

[email protected]

North bound

cbserafin7
09-10-2007, 16:03
What does "NOBO" mean?

[email protected]

Roland
09-10-2007, 18:44
What does "NOBO" mean?

[email protected]

Still north bound. :D

L Tee
09-12-2007, 14:17
General Lee
June 1, 08 - South Bound "figured if someone dropped me in the land of yankees I will sure as hell walk as fast as I can home to my southern brothers :)"

snifur
09-12-2007, 22:19
General Lee, it looks like you are going to have a few Yanks pushing you home. I know of one die-hard Yank personally.

L Tee
09-13-2007, 15:15
haha should be a fun one

ErickP
09-14-2007, 08:41
No trail name yet
NOBO, leaving sometime in mid April
Plan to finish in 4 months

Sloth
09-15-2007, 13:08
Nobo hittin the trail march first! I like it COLD!!! Hope to see U out there!!

simplespirit
09-21-2007, 08:01
No trail name yet
NOBO
As soon as the weather allows between Feb and Apr
unsure on approach trail, maybe/maybe not

UL minimalist
09-24-2007, 12:07
No trail name... Ill let the trail name me.
NoBo
march 1st
Will be hiking the approach.

Will be hiking alone, wouldnt mind some company. I hike UL and pride myself on it. No impact hiking!

Montego
09-24-2007, 13:49
Weeble (as in weebles wobble, but they don.t fall down LOL)
NOBO
May 6 from either Harpers Ferry, WV or Ducannon, PA.

I used to backpack a lot (Europe, Wind Rivers, Grand Canyon) but stopped when, somehow, making a living got in the way. I've dreamed of hiking the AT since I was 16 B.C. (that's, Before Cable - haha) and now that I'm retired, will make that dream come true. Hey, just look for the slow, wobbley guy with the ever-present grin on his face. Hope to see all of ya' out there!

rafe
09-24-2007, 13:52
General Lee
June 1, 08 - South Bound "figured if someone dropped me in the land of yankees I will sure as hell walk as fast as I can home to my southern brothers :)"

Why not take United or American? Better yet, why go north in the first place? :-?

Montego
09-24-2007, 16:10
Weeble (as in weebles wobble, but they don.t fall down LOL)
NOBO
May 6 from either Harpers Ferry, WV or Ducannon, PA.

I used to backpack a lot (Europe, Wind Rivers, Grand Canyon) but stopped when, somehow, making a living got in the way. I've dreamed of hiking the AT since I was 16 B.C. (that's, Before Cable - haha) and now that I'm retired, will make that dream come true. Hey, just look for the slow, wobbley guy with the ever-present grin on his face. Hope to see all of ya' out there!

hacksaw
09-24-2007, 20:34
Trail Name: Hacksaw
NOBO
Approach Trail: Local hiker, done it more times than I remember, so, No.
About 15 March +- a week.

I certainly hope I'm not being premature, but if all goes as planned this will be Thru-hike take two. Take one was Y2K, Springer to Mt. Rogers, came off with a busted knee which has since been rebuilt.

Icarus
09-25-2007, 13:59
Trail Name : "G"
NOBO
Depending on travel to Atlanta, March 3rd or 4th, gotta be back to school by august 20th
None

Taking a semester off from school so there's no excuses for quitting, totally up for meeting people in GA at the beginning of March

EAnderson
09-26-2007, 15:36
No trail name
NOBO
March 29th-April 1st window
Probably approach

I'll turn 40 on the trail if I last the first week!

Socrates
09-26-2007, 22:34
Yep, I'm back again... Mid March this time... If at first you don't succeed...

Lao Tzu
09-27-2007, 09:34
I'm wanting to leave around Jan. 1st. I hope there is a winter this year. I'm taking a Hennessy Hammock. I'm still wrestling w/ sleeping bag issues, synthetic or down and how warm a bag.

Satori
09-27-2007, 10:48
Trail Name: Satori
SOBO
June 1, 2008

warraghiyagey
09-27-2007, 11:26
Yep, I'm back again... Mid March this time... If at first you don't succeed...

. . . If at first you don't succeed . . . go SOBO.:) :) :)
June 1st - Baxter State Park.:)
Warraghiyagey

trudger
09-27-2007, 16:40
trudger
nobo April 7 or 8

rafe
09-27-2007, 17:25
. . . If at first you don't succeed . . . go SOBO.:) :) :)
June 1st - Baxter State Park.:)
Warraghiyagey

You speaking for yourself or Socrates? Or both?

June 1... yeah, you were saying that a few months ago, but I hear you're still (or back) in Swampscott? Wha happened?

Dirty Harry
09-27-2007, 23:22
Dirty Harry
NOBO
March 15th+-
Approach trail-good luck
skits I deff. feel ya, thru hike in 05, and im so ready to do it again.

frieden
10-03-2007, 23:43
Frieden & Ed
NOBO
March/April
Approach Trail? Not if I can help it! ;)

Cosmic Crusader
10-06-2007, 17:15
Well I am on track for a SOBO adventure ... looking for some advice on trail conditions in ME and NH... I will be starting my trek mid Nov - from edge of Baxter park (return next summer -good excuse for moto ride and camping to summit Kat). Will have to skip ferry (too late in season to risk it says the folks up there - and if they say its unsafe they know) after that I hope to make my way to Hanover by end of year, give or take as weather permits. Im really not in any great hurry and am pretty much doing this now by choice of season. I know winter = slow and am planning as such- so any help on trail conditions - blaze probs for SOBOs or any other such help would be great - I have another post outside this one if you are keeping this clean as a registry... Hope to see Springer by April ... and hope to find some other crazy winter hikers along the way.

Last winters vacation was the Antarctic continent - this will be far less remote - but without doubt it will be a more personal journey.:cool:

berightback
10-08-2007, 10:42
:D I am plan to start my first thru hike some time in March.....depends on the weather but I expect to be on the trail the first week in March. Going solo but wouldn't mind some company along the way. I have been planning this adventure for a long time and can't wait to get started. I am a former marathoner, triathlete, and adventure racer but I have never been as excited as I am about this adventure! I hope to see you on the trail.

chiefdaddy
10-08-2007, 11:30
berightback, don't worry you will meet a ton of great people! No problem!

chiefdaddy
10-08-2007, 11:32
Hmmm wonder if I posted here? Heading out in March, NOBO doing the A.trail it's more easy to get dropped off there :D
see you people there!

Idealist
10-08-2007, 15:52
Hank & Andrea
trail names to be determined on route
SOBO
to begin June 20ish

Puppy
10-08-2007, 19:44
Puppy
Heading NOBO in March
Not sure yet on the Approach Trail - it depends on who drops me off.
See Ya There !

lightning
10-08-2007, 22:43
no trail name
NOBO (w/ approach trail)
early march

Carp
10-10-2007, 13:55
Not sure of trail name yet.
NoBo
March 27 or 28
Approach trail and all that jazz.

See you folks out there.

Mad Hatter 08
10-11-2007, 19:55
Lizincali
Trailnmat

Mad Hatter 08
10-11-2007, 19:57
Liz
trailname:TBD
Dir:NOBO
Date:March 1st 2008

Can't wait.. where are all of my march 1st buddies from trailplace. Kirby, Josi, slimm???

SparrowHawk
10-12-2007, 12:57
Thinking about changing start date to March 1. Like berightback, I am hittin' it solo and wanted some companionship (Feb 15 seems a bit lonely, no?). Sloth...I recently graduated from ETSU and am excited to see another person from Johnson City!!!

mlkelley
10-12-2007, 13:10
Greetings all.
nobo
3/15/08
no trail name yet
approach trail
Is it March yet??

Rooster
10-17-2007, 16:10
Sean
Trail name: I always get a nickname wherever I go. If I gave myself one it would be pointless.
NOBO
March 1st
Most Likely the approach trail. on the 29th(apt to start on a leap day)

River
10-17-2007, 17:28
No trail name yet
SOBO… flipflop… starting at Harper’s Ferry March 30 going south, then up to Katahdin and south back to Harper’s Ferry.
Traveling with my daughter and two friends and our adventure dog River. Been planning this for years, so excited it’s almost here!!!

Kirby
10-17-2007, 20:32
Liz
trailname:TBD
Dir:NOBO
Date:March 1st 2008

Can't wait.. where are all of my march 1st buddies from trailplace. Kirby, Josi, slimm???

Kirby here, glad to see you made it over in one piece;). I am on track for my March 1st start. :welcome

I bet 1$ dollar to everyone I meet I will be the youngest person starting on March 1st, or maybe even anyother date, 16, 17 two weeks into the trail.

Kirby

Kirby
10-17-2007, 20:34
Thinking about changing start date to March 1. Like berightback, I am hittin' it solo and wanted some companionship (Feb 15 seems a bit lonely, no?). Sloth...I recently graduated from ETSU and am excited to see another person from Johnson City!!!

It has the potential, yes, there seem to be a lot of people from this site alone starting march 1st, should be plenty of company.

Kirby

Mad Hatter 08
10-18-2007, 00:07
Kirby here, glad to see you made it over in one piece;). I am on track for my March 1st start. :welcome

I bet 1$ dollar to everyone I meet I will be the youngest person starting on March 1st, or maybe even anyother date, 16, 17 two weeks into the trail.

Kirby

I may not be able to go this year. we just found out today that my grandma has cancer. depending on what stage it is and how aggressively they treat it and what not. I maybe needed her to help take care of her and my grandpa and drive them to different appointments. If I can't go this year I will probably end up going in 2010 or11 after I graduate from nursing school.

River
10-19-2007, 11:40

Kirby

Well Kirby, you can have that title until March 30 when we get on the trail. My daughter will be 16, not 17 until August... gotta figure out how to celebrate birthdays on the trail. :banana I wouldn't be betting too many $s tho, a lot of very young people have done this trail... there may be someone younger out there we don't know about yet.

Johnny Thunder
10-19-2007, 12:12
Well Kirby, you can have that title until March 30 when we get on the trail. My daughter will be 16, not 17 until August... gotta figure out how to celebrate birthdays on the trail. :banana I wouldn't be betting too many $s tho, a lot of very young people have done this trail... there may be someone younger out there we don't know about yet.

. . . .

notorius tic
10-19-2007, 12:35
Im leaving on march 7th. NOBO. I am trying to get NINER to come along, repeat offenders<: Work is for sissys.........

Kirby
10-19-2007, 15:28

I owe you a dollar.

Kirby

Jan LiteShoe
10-19-2007, 15:49
It has the potential, yes, there seem to be a lot of people from this site alone starting march 1st, should be plenty of company.

Kirby

Just checking in here to say hello to all prospective 2008 thrus and catch a bit of your excitement and magic dust.

I started in 2003 on March 1. I thought it was a wonderful time to go. Very cold some nights early on, sharp winds on ridges, but fantastic hiking during the day when sunny.

Started with a bunch of folks March 1 who are still friends, including A-Train from this site. He went very fast and finished in early August (I think - if not late July); I took a week off in Vermont to drive to Wisconsin to get my brother married, and still finished by Sept. 18. The leaves were just starting to really color up. It was a fantastic time to finish.

Folks worry about it being crowded at the start, but that never bothered me. While hiking, there is plenty of space on the trail, and encounters are usually pleasant. I met some terrific folks, most of whom were in the same mental state as me ("Woohee! I'm finally hiking!" and "Holy crap! This is hard! Can I make it?" :)), and crossed paths with many of them later in the hike as our varying paces and times off wove in and out of each other.

There IS a dive for the shelters early on in Georgia and NC, but if you don't get caught up in the insecurity of the race for the next roof, there's generally lots of space to camp around water sources. And if you're totally antisocial, you can escape all but the most cursory interactions by camping away from shelters.
But the interactions and kindred spirit-ness were some of the very best aspects of my journey.

The very best to you all!
The rest of us are jealous, you know.
:)

AT-HITMAN2005
10-21-2007, 14:35
Hitman + wife(no trail name yet)
NOBO
March 15
Yes on the approach trail
Thru-hiked 2005, now wife wants me to be her sherpa.

cbserafin7
10-22-2007, 09:59
Back in June (Ithink) I joined this thread as a registered hiker who will hike the AT March 15 (earlier say March 1 if I can hook up with an experienced thru hiker) Anyway I have researched and learned so much about equipment and have created a spreadsheet of purchases, $$, where purchased (mostly on line, some at Wilder Mtn in Baldwin, GA and REI in Atlanta) and the ounces of weight.
Here is what I have gathered so far. BushBuddy Ultra wood stove also takes fuel tabs and a Brunton lighter (30,000 strikes and burns up to 2000 degrees using butane which is very lite weight. A 2second quescha pop up tent with a back up conventional tent, Titanium pot, lid and pot holder. Down sleeping bag ( I plan to start at Springer Mtn and weather is known to be c o l d) with liner. Keen boots above the ankle, and Merrills below the ankle. Exfoccio and Pagagonia clothing most are wicking but many now have catelene(sp?). Dehydrated fruits and veggies for supply boxes. Head lamp, every tag has been clipped off clothing, every item checked and rechecked for durability. Seem sealers, Deet bug and drilled holes in my tooth brush. What I am trying to research without much luck is a GPS. Is there one specifically for AT trail. Perhaps a software preload? Do you know or have you heard of such a software load for a GPS unit?
Thank you for starting this link/thread.
Chris Serafin aka [email protected] Trail name: Indy Girl

ErickP
10-22-2007, 23:34

Im 16, turning 17 in august as well. I don't have a departure date yet, but it should be sometime in mid april.

Kirby
10-23-2007, 06:23
Looks like we can start an under 18 club.

Kirby

V8
10-23-2007, 10:53
Just checking in here to say hello to all prospective 2008 thrus and catch a bit of your excitement and magic dust.

I started in 2003 on March 1. I thought it was a wonderful time to go. Very cold some nights early on, sharp winds on ridges, but fantastic hiking during the day when sunny.

Started with a bunch of folks March 1 who are still friends, including A-Train from this site. He went very fast and finished in early August (I think - if not late July); I took a week off in Vermont to drive to Wisconsin to get my brother married, and still finished by Sept. 18. The leaves were just starting to really color up. It was a fantastic time to finish.

Folks worry about it being crowded at the start, but that never bothered me. While hiking, there is plenty of space on the trail, and encounters are usually pleasant. I met some terrific folks, most of whom were in the same mental state as me ("Woohee! I'm finally hiking!" and "Holy crap! This is hard! Can I make it?" :)), and crossed paths with many of them later in the hike as our varying paces and times off wove in and out of each other.

There IS a dive for the shelters early on in Georgia and NC, but if you don't get caught up in the insecurity of the race for the next roof, there's generally lots of space to camp around water sources. And if you're totally antisocial, you can escape all but the most cursory interactions by camping away from shelters.
But the interactions and kindred spirit-ness were some of the very best aspects of my journey.

The very best to you all!
The rest of us are jealous, you know.
:)

This is really helpful - for when I get the heebie-jeebies about this adventure. Most of the time, it's really exciting and fun to think about, but occasionally...so, thanks for the encouragement!

vjh
10-23-2007, 11:22
Back in June (Ithink) I joined this thread as a registered hiker who will hike the AT March 15 (earlier say March 1 if I can hook up with an experienced thru hiker) Anyway I have researched and learned so much about equipment and have created a spreadsheet of purchases, $$, where purchased (mostly on line, some at Wilder Mtn in Baldwin, GA and REI in Atlanta) and the ounces of weight.
Here is what I have gathered so far. BushBuddy Ultra wood stove also takes fuel tabs and a Brunton lighter (30,000 strikes and burns up to 2000 degrees using butane which is very lite weight. A 2second quescha pop up tent with a back up conventional tent, Titanium pot, lid and pot holder. Down sleeping bag ( I plan to start at Springer Mtn and weather is known to be c o l d) with liner. Keen boots above the ankle, and Merrills below the ankle. Exfoccio and Pagagonia clothing most are wicking but many now have catelene(sp?). Dehydrated fruits and veggies for supply boxes. Head lamp, every tag has been clipped off clothing, every item checked and rechecked for durability. Seem sealers, Deet bug and drilled holes in my tooth brush. What I am trying to research without much luck is a GPS. Is there one specifically for AT trail. Perhaps a software preload? Do you know or have you heard of such a software load for a GPS unit?
Thank you for starting this link/thread.
Chris Serafin aka [email protected] Trail name: Indy Girl

Great job taking control of your planning and doing your research etc!! Keep it up!! MHO is that you really dont' need a GPS on the AT...in fact I only carry a small compass that has NESW on it no degrees...I do carry the maps and databook. If you are not comfortable with this just take a regular compass...gps is extra weight..

good luck!
vera

ErickP
10-23-2007, 15:40
Looks like we can start an under 18 club.

Kirby

sounds good to me :)

trpl_crwn
10-24-2007, 08:14
Oz
SOBO
Early

trpl_crwn
10-24-2007, 08:20
Sorry.. pressed enter too early :)

Oz
SOBO
Early March
Approach Trail

20 year old taking a semester off, because lets face it.. hiking the AT will be a lot more fun than school. Going to try to do the trip in 5 months, with 2-3 week intervals between mail drops. Anybody with a similar schedule let me know and we'll meet up.

Hurley
10-27-2007, 07:55
Hurley
nobo

Hurley
10-27-2007, 07:59
oops, (anyway to edit posts?)
I'll be headed nobo
starting between March 1 through 7.

I cannot wait to get started. Been planning like crazy putting my gear and plans together.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-27-2007, 10:39
There IS a dive for the shelters early on in Georgia and NC, but if you don't get caught up in the insecurity of the race for the next roof, there's generally lots of space to camp around water sources.

just make sure you have a personal shelter that you don't mind using. ran into a section hiker in the hundred mile wilderness, who was carrying a bivy sack, and thought he had a right to shelter space in the wilderness. he didn't consider the bivy actual shelter, just for emergency.

mlkelley
10-27-2007, 10:54
i believe that if you're a donating member you can edit

Dr. Small Pot
10-27-2007, 11:15
Hey all,

I'm rather undecided about doing the trail come 2008. I guess I have to wait and see what life throws at me between now and then, but I have a gut feeling that I'll be headed NOBO (gasp!) sometime next spring. We'll see what happens, and if I do head out, I look forward to seeing folks on the ridgelines!

Dr. Small Pot
IAT: QC-NB 2006
AT: ME-Damascus 2006

bajabackpacker
10-29-2007, 00:53
Trailname: Not sure yet
Start: Mid March? TBD

mozzie
10-29-2007, 01:22
mozzie
nobo
last week of feb.
want to leave now

warraghiyagey
10-29-2007, 03:29
mozzie
nobo
last week of feb.
want to leave now

GO Mozzie, Enjoy!

silken
11-01-2007, 16:16
Silk or Silken
NOBO
looking for Mar 1 or whatever is the earliest I can stomach the weather... Not sure when it will work out though...
Springer (not the approach)

my one problem is that I'm pretty out of shape. I love hiking and mountain hiking and used to be great at it, spent a couple years falling completely out of shape (but I've been in shape once and will be again) I have hiked before some of the flatter sections in day hikes in years past (around Harpers Ferry, as well as some down in VA somewhere that I can't recall). I am assuming that I will prep for this as much as possible between now and then, but I will be starting out pretty slow. If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)

Kirby
11-01-2007, 19:01
Silk or Silken
NOBO
looking for Mar 1 or whatever is the earliest I can stomach the weather... Not sure when it will work out though...

my one problem is that I'm pretty out of shape. I love hiking and mountain hiking and used to be great at it, spent a couple years falling completely out of shape (but I've been in shape once and will be again) I have hiked before some of the flatter sections in day hikes in years past (around Harpers Ferry, as well as some down in VA somewhere that I can't recall). I am assuming that I will prep for this as much as possible between now and then, but I will be starting out pretty slow. If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)

There is a march 1st starters thread, you will not be alone. There will be many people starting that day, including myself.

Kirby

cbserafin7
11-02-2007, 18:53
Hi There Silken - Indy Girl here. When you are sure as to your March 1st start date I would be interested in your hiking pace. My intention is to hike the entire AT.
Indy Girl

Chainsaw 08
11-03-2007, 03:00
Will get my name on the trail
NOBO
~March 15th
Undecided on the approach

warraghiyagey
11-03-2007, 03:17
Silk or Silken
NOBO

Hi There Silken - Indy Girl here. When you are sure as to your March 1st start date I would be interested in your hiking pace. My intention is to hike the entire AT.
Indy Girl

Will get my name on the trail
NOBO
~March 15th
Undecided on the approach

:welcome :welcome :welcome
See you all along the way.
SOBO8
June 1st

Marta
11-03-2007, 06:07
Hey all,

I'm rather undecided about doing the trail come 2008. I guess I have to wait and see what life throws at me between now and then, but I have a gut feeling that I'll be headed NOBO (gasp!) sometime next spring. We'll see what happens, and if I do head out, I look forward to seeing folks on the ridgelines!

Dr. Small Pot

Dr. Small Pot--

NOBO?! Say it isn't so!:D

I think you'll find it a rather different experience, and probably quite a bit of fun.

warraghiyagey
11-03-2007, 08:24
Hey all,

Dr. Small Pot

So it's Dr. Small Pot now? Congrats man on getting your degree. It seems I remember a Small Pot in 06 singing the song from 'O Brother Where Art Thou' while doing domestics up in Maine. I'm guessing that would be you??:)

Montego
11-03-2007, 23:06
Seems like there have been quite a few new posts since I posted my intentions of a yo yo hike from Harpers Ferry NOBO to Mt Katahdin, then SOBO to Mt Springer, then back to Harpers Ferry.

My original start date was May 5th, however, it seems that most NOBO's are starting from Mt Springer near the beginning of April. I was wondering if starting in May from Harpers Ferry would be too late (i.e. too hot, too many bugs, too isolated from other hikers, etc.)?

I am open to other possible directions (Harpers Ferry SOBO to Damascus for Trail Days, for instance - never been there) or other departure dates.

I am retired, on VA disability, divorced, kids grown and gone, so I have no time restraints or comittments except to hike my own hike and experience all I can and hopefully enjoy most of it.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated :confused:

AT-HITMAN2005
11-04-2007, 10:41
depending on your speed, starting may 5 at springer really isn't that late for a nobo. can't imagine it being hot or buggy starting at harper's ferry at that time of of year. might be isolated from other thru's though. if i remember right i didn't get to that area of the trail til june(started april 1st).

Kirby
11-04-2007, 10:44
On my current time table, I will be pushing through Harper's Ferry mid to late may I believe(starting march 1st).

Kirby

Montego
11-04-2007, 23:45
Many thanks to both AT-HITMAN2005 and Kirby for your replies. Some more information to consider when it comes to trip planning.

Most likely will head NOBO so that I can summit Mt K before the park closes for the season. As far as speed goes, it has been many years since I backpacked extensively, so I expect that I will be a bit slow (at least for awhile), even so, I have allotted 5 months for this portion of my hike from Harpers Ferry to Mt Katahdin which should be plenty of time to "smell the roses" along the way.

Once I summit, then SOBO will not be much of a problem time wise. I do have some winter camping/hiking experience (Germany, Austria, Wind Rivers. Grand Tetons, [I lived a few years in Wyoming]) and will be semi-outfited for the cold weather that I expect to encounter in the northern states during the fall.

Semi-outfited = Long johns, insulated coat, ski hat, insulated gloves,
wool socks, etc.
Wabakimi tent, white gas stove, down bag, sleeping pad,
light down blanket, etc.
Compass, topo maps, whistle, signal mirror, first-aid kit,
personal hygene stuff, etc.
knowledge and commom sense.

Again, thanks guys for the info and maybe I'll see you on the trail Kirby. Happy hiking. :D

trippedoutnatureboy
11-05-2007, 22:25
I am definetly heading out this comming season not exactly sure when it is up inthe air as soon as funds and all are in order I will be heading to springer I would definrtly do some warm up hikes/sections whatever I livce in PA let me know if you wanna get together and hit the trail.

nightshaded
11-06-2007, 01:03
If anyone is a "slowish" hiker starting out about the same time I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm solo because I dont know anyone personally thats doing the hike, but I would much rather hike with people. I'm also 20 years old and graduating college in December (all the more reason to do this *this* year.)[/quote]

my sister and i (me: 23, her: 21) are starting nobo at the end of march....we'll probably be taking our dear sweet time, so feel free to hook up with us!

nightshaded
11-06-2007, 01:07
still getting the hang of these forums:

name: the bone lady. will be hiking with my sister, the lovely generic oatmeal.
route: nobo
approach: visitor's center
departure: last week of march

see y'all out there!

Dancer
11-06-2007, 06:44
I challenge all class of '08 to make a donation here on whiteblaze. Let's face it, we are all on here all the time taking advantage of the information and the forums. Let's help out a little. I'm not saying you have to give alot but a few dollars from all us '08ers could go a long way. I hope to see more "donating member" tags next time I come to the 2008 forum. Where would we be without whiteblaze???

:sun :sun :sun :sun

warraghiyagey
11-06-2007, 08:27
I challenge all class of '08 to make a donation here on whiteblaze. Let's face it, we are all on here all the time taking advantage of the information and the forums. Let's help out a little. I'm not saying you have to give alot but a few dollars from all us '08ers could go a long way. I hope to see more "donating member" tags next time I come to the 2008 forum. Where would we be without whiteblaze???

:sun :sun :sun :sun

Actually Woodsy has a thread going right now about donating to WB. With my time spent hear I don't consider it a donation I consider it co-op maintenance. Thanks to all the folks who keep WB running and to Lone Wolf just for being so mystically cool.

trippedoutnatureboy
11-07-2007, 23:07
I am definetly hiking the trail this season NOBO start date is still to be determined may be early march or as late as april 1st I have also been doing day hikes and some smaller weekend thru hikes of some 45 to 60 mile trails in my area and surronding area of north central PA I am definetly syked about this thru hike it has always been one of my dreams on the top of my to do list hope to meet a lot of chill people on the way and just take in the experience well I guess thats it for now would be glad to join anyone who plans on hiking the trail this comming season for some conditioning day hikes or multi day treks later all

jessicacomp
11-07-2007, 23:13
My name is Jessica, and I am NOBO. I am starting, hopefully, on March 15th or 16th. I am taking the approach trail. I hope to meet lots of you out there :)

mikemize
11-09-2007, 16:55
count me in...i'm planning on leaving in early march(give or take).i'm pretty flexible with my schedule.i'm from alabama so i can pretty much pick up and be on the trail in a days notice...i'm definetly looking to find some trailbuddies. take care and i hope to hear from yall', or should i say, you all?-mike

longwe tru
11-13-2007, 22:53
longwetru
NOBO
St. Patricks's Day
approach trail

See you in the "green" tunnel:sun

duckumu
11-14-2007, 00:21
Hey folks,

Mercury
NOBO
April 1, 2008
Approach Trail: Don't know yet!

I'm a recent college grad, been thinking about the Trail for a few years but never had the time/money until now. Currently living in NYC and hating it! Hell on Earth. Can't wait to get to Springer!! I'm completely new to hiking and not in the best shape but I'm not sedentary either; I walk a few hours a day still. Hope to meet some of you guys on the Trail.

turtle fast
11-14-2007, 01:07
NOBO
Last Week March Or 1st week of April
Approach trail, Amicola Falls St. Park

The wife and I are tired of the corporate world, many think we are crazy (They ask : Why leave high paying corporate managerial positions???)
Why....because the almighty dollar is not what life is about!!! We realized that we did not want to be in the old folks home wondering what we "shoulda coulda woulda" done!!!

mtt37849
11-16-2007, 03:31
Matt
NOBO
Last week of March to the first week of April

Question
I live in Knoxville, TN I will start in GA and going NOBO. 1. Is there still enough thru-hikers starting this late and what would be the best way to get back home from ME once finished?
Anyone else looking for a NOBO hiking buddy for this time period. I'm a 24 year old male and this will be my first AT hike, although I have hiked many times before.
Thanks guys and gals

AT-HITMAN2005
11-16-2007, 07:46
question 1- yes, thats like the middle of the starting season. i started april 1st and there were a ton of people.
question 2- there are a lot of options, from calling a taxi in millinocket to pick you and taking you to the bus station. to hitching a ride with one of the people you summited with that are headed in your direction.

i got a ride from someone i summited with and they took me all way to the bus/train station in portland. rode a bus to boston and rode the train back to orlando. It was neat because i had almost a whole day lay over in washington DC, so i was able to walk around the city and check out the sights.

Baum Trigger
11-16-2007, 10:01
Matt
NOBO
Last week of March to the first week of April

Question
I live in Knoxville, TN I will start in GA and going NOBO. 1. Is there still enough thru-hikers starting this late and what would be the best way to get back home from ME once finished?
Anyone else looking for a NOBO hiking buddy for this time period. I'm a 24 year old male and this will be my first AT hike, although I have hiked many times before.
Thanks guys and gals

I'm starting around the same time and live in the same area (I'm really in Fountain City). I have a feeling we'll find a way back somehow.

mtt37849
11-16-2007, 18:31
I agree Baum Trigger, but I would like some idea as to how to get back in Powell, TN. If ur going maybe we could get together and rent a cheap car in ME or something along those lines. Thanks guys.

jzakhar
11-16-2007, 19:39
Lets hope my co-workers don't see this before I give my notice!

NOBO
Second or Third week of March.

WalkItOff
11-16-2007, 20:00
WalkItOff
NOBO
Marching forth on March Fourth

Cant.
Wait.

mattabbotts
11-18-2007, 10:42
no trail name yet
NOBO
Starting mid March

I still need to find a way to get to Springer from Northern Michigan if anyone is going that way or has any suggestions let me know.

notorius tic
11-18-2007, 11:06
I am leaving on March 3rd.... any one from the Florida area looking for a travel compaion please feel to repley<: [email protected] I am hopeing to get Niner to come along but i think he is moving to Maine????????? <:

JoeBanks
11-19-2007, 13:11
Joe Banks
NoBo
March 22nd

baxter
11-19-2007, 19:38
I'm Chuck Allen
baxter online, no trail name yet
I'm leaving NOBO on March 21st
Hiking out of Amicalola on the approach trail
I hope to meet lots of you.

cbserafin7
11-20-2007, 13:17
Nobo on March 21st. Am flexible to depart on March 1st if I can hook up with a few others to start out.
My friends first question is: "Are you going with someone(s)? They are concerned (I have a wonderful support team).

I understand that groups members change and who you start off from Springer may not be (and probably won't be) the same persons at trail end at Mt Katahdin.
Now hiking portions of the AT with full pac and my legs are telling me to do more in prep for departure in March 2008. Most recent was Woody Gap to Jaggard a 6.7 m before that Mt Yonah 4 round trip from base to granite face. which was a lot easier than I thought. Next I will be hiking the Blood Mtn if any of you are in the area let me know and you can hike along with the hike club too. These are practice hikes because I will be thru hiking the AT.

All for now, Indy Girl.

kate2008
11-20-2007, 15:30
Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested! email- [email protected]

Kirby
11-20-2007, 17:09
Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested! email- [email protected]

if you starting mid to late May from Harper's, you will be with all the NOBO's who start in early March, my current time table puts me there early to mid May.

Kirby

Montego
11-21-2007, 02:55
Not actually looking for a hiking partner but I will be starting May 7th from HF NOBO to Mt K, then SOBO to Mt Springer. Hope to say hi to both of you (Kate2008 & Kirby) on the trail and wish you both good luck and pleasent journies.

lazerzade
11-25-2007, 19:33
Well here I am again thinking about thru hiking again. Anyway this season will probably be my last good chance to do a thru hike, so I have decided to go ahead and do it. I am ready, or at least I will be come time for sure. Well I look forward to meeting you guys, rock on

-Macaroni Kid

Dirty Harry
11-26-2007, 00:50
Mac lookin forward to seein ya on the trail, what year did you thru hike prior? I hiked in 05, this trip is going to be super laid back, super light and quick. Startin out march15th+-, Dirty

Quagmire
11-26-2007, 04:44
common name is frost.
direction is Nobo.
trail date is january 31st.
starting point is the approach trail.

i have 2 others who are accompanying me and will eventually sign up. I'm from s. indiana and this will be the greatest adventure of my life. cant wait till the go date and can't wait to meet all kinds of new and interesting people. If you see 3 guys from s indiana just come up and say hi, we're a friendly bunch. any questions or comments feel free to message me. I hope to continue to learn as much as possible from all of the great people on here.

Nevalost
11-26-2007, 11:01
Trail Name: Not got one yet
Start Date: Between mid March and Mid April
Approach Trail: Not unless someone gives me a damn good reason :)

Because of some big life style changes I have no dependants to look after just now and so one of my life time dreams of a big adventure is now available to me. An adventure somewhere I could be away from the modern world for a long time and the Appalachian Trail looks like one of the better places in the world to do just that!

Starting out alone at the moment but hoping to meet up with some like minded (sane) newbie hikers along the trail or even before hand. I would like to say I am quite fit do not smoke and will want to stop to look at scenery/wildlife. Message me if you want to discuss this further :)

Sharing the load with another hiker or two sounds much more fun than being on the trail alone but it will not stop me :P

I look forward to meeting a lot of you on the trail.

Kind regards
Will

Chaco Taco
11-26-2007, 11:20
Im jealous of you guys. I have to wait 1 year, 3 months 11 days. Good luck to those that are with 5 months or so of departure.

Roots
11-26-2007, 11:42
I'm not thru-hiking (YET!), but I will be leaving out April 1st to go from Springer to Fontana, so maybe I'll meet some of you guys!! Good luck!!:)

AT-HITMAN2005
11-26-2007, 21:38
hey dirty harry, i met you in 05 on my thru-hike. sorry to here you had to get off. maybe i'll see you out there in 08, leaving march 15th this time around.

Mad Hatter 08
11-26-2007, 21:43
Starting out alone at the moment but hoping to meet up with some like minded (sane) newbie hikers along the trail or even before hand. I would like to say I am quite fit do not smoke and will want to stop to look at scenery/wildlife. Message me if you want to discuss this further :)

Sharing the load with another hiker or two sounds much more fun than being on the trail alone but it will not stop me :P

I look forward to meeting a lot of you on the trail.

Kind regards
Will

SANE???? what sane person would want to go hike in the wood for aprox six months?????? Embrace the insanity and be free.

Kirby
11-26-2007, 21:59
SANE???? what sane person would want to go hike in the wood for aprox six months?????? Embrace the insanity and be free.

There are those of us sane enough to use a teleporting machine:rolleyes:.

Kirby

Mad Hatter 08
11-27-2007, 23:21
There are those of us sane enough to use a teleporting machine:rolleyes:.

Kirby

those don't count