PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Hikers!!!

Presto
09-16-2003, 16:41
Ken and Marcia (who have a journal on trailjournals) have just finished hiking the triple crown! They finished their hikes on Sept 15th atop Katahdin.

I was wondering how many (if any) other couples have hiked the triple crown together?

Is there a list somewhere of people who have claimed to hike the triple crown?

How many people have accomplished such a thing?

So a big congrats to Ken and Marcia!!

chris
09-16-2003, 16:57
ALDHA-West, http://www.aldhawest.org, manages the Triple Crown lists. But, their lists should not be regarded as final. Many people complete the Triple Crown without registering the completion of a single leg. I hiked large parts of the PCT, and finished with, a hiker formally known as Birdie du Flatis, but known normally as Sharon or Birdie. She finished the Triple Crown this summer, along with the Ice Age (how many people can say that?), Long, and Superior trails. I'm not sure if she will register or not. If you go to the Gathering, make sure to pester her to tell you what Flatis is.

MOWGLI
09-16-2003, 18:10
Chris is right about the list. I work with a guy who has hiked all 9 National Scenic Trails, plus many thousands of additional miles (including Key West to Katahdin twice). You won't find his name on any list. It's not his style.

Streamweaver
09-16-2003, 22:21
Are there others that have done the triple crown in one calandar year ,besides Roy Robinson?? Streamweaver

Spirit Walker
09-16-2003, 22:54
Not Roy, but Brian Robinson (Roy's son) did the three successfully. A couple of guys, Sven and ??, hiked two trails in one year (AT and PCT) about 5 years ago, and Fiddlehead and Pieps attempted a triple crown in one year starting about the same time Brian finished his hike, but they ran out of time while on the PCT (I think they did about 6000 miles in 11 months?) There could be others, but the logistics are such that you have to be awfully lucky with weather, health, etc. Fiddlehead and Pieps had family issues that took them home for a couple of weeks, or they probably would have made it. Just doing a yoyo hike on the PCT or CDT is a real problem - Let it Be tried three or four times to do his PCT yoyo before going on to other things. The hiking season is short on the western trails, and hiking in constant snow is slow and lonely, so it is hard to stay motivated. That said, there are a lot of people who are not on the internet, don't go to the Gatherings, and just do their thing without telling anyone or looking for recognition. In CDT trail registers, there were a fair number of people planning to hike on to Alaska or down to South America. Some probably made it -- but I've no way of knowing. In these days of internet communication, a lot of hikers are technophobes who don't seek information or pass on information via the internet -- so they are known only to their own circle of friends and family. Too bad, because I'm sure they have some good stories to share.

MOWGLI
09-16-2003, 23:08
I have been told (by a very reliable source) that several other folks have walked all three "big" trails within the same calendar year. That is not to detract from what Brian Robinson did. It's just that there are many hikers that, as Spirit Walker said, do not seek recognition.

My co-worker who has walked all of the National Scenic Trails (my source) - he has no trail name. His name is Ed. So much for tradition.

Streamweaver
09-17-2003, 00:18
Thanks Spirit Walker,TNJED! I meant Brian but oopsed and put Roy . I guess with alot of people its kinda like gaurding your favorite fishing hole or hunting grounds, its just more of a personal thing to some. Im never in much of a hurry when hiking(except of course during an emergency) so I could never see myself doing 3 big trails in one year but I would like to hike them eventually!! Streamweaver

Joel Rash
09-17-2003, 00:41
I for one would be really surprised if 'several' other people had done calendar year triple crowns, much less one. Brian's feat was incredible, took some serious logistics, and almost superhuman hiking. Not that it couldn't be done, but it seems like even the most private person would generate some attention pulling it off. Did they go 6000+ miles without mentioning to anyone that they were either a) starting a hike of all three or b) finishing their third long-distance trail that year? Even before the internet trail legends were created by just such word of mouth.

Hiking all the National Scenic Trails would be incredible. As the CDT, North Country and Ice Age get nearer to completion it might become a better know life goal for hardcore hikers.

chris
09-17-2003, 08:51
I, too, would doubt if anyone else has done a calendar triple crown. It isn't something like the AT that you can yo-yo for years on end. Weather becomes much more difficult and the logistics are tough. Glen and Fiddlehead came close, but had some family problems that kept them from finishing.

The PCT has never been yo-yo'ed. Interestingly enough, the CDT has. Scott Williamson was making his 4th (?) attempt this year, but got pushed out of the Sierras by several snowstorms in May. Logistics are very hard indeed.

There are several other long distance, endurance things still to be done. Someone should ask Brian what he is planning while at the Gathering.

Blue Jay
09-17-2003, 11:24
I would be surprised if many people had NOT done the so called triple crown in a single year. The amount people brag about something is usually inversely proportional to what they actually accomplish. In other words big talk, little walk. Most long distance hikers I've met are very quiet.

Joel Rash
09-17-2003, 11:54
Actually, most of the hikers I've met are pretty verbose. I don't think discussing what you do is bragging. Sure there might be some satisfaction from being the first or the fastest or whatever, but I see no problem in taking pride in accomplishments (or sharing stories around the campfire). Is everyone with a 2000-miler patch a braggart? Everyone on TrailJournals just there to crow about the miles they put in? Haven't we all finished a 20+ mile day with a grin, or ribbed a fellow hiker about doing the easy miles, spending too many days in town (my own downfall!), carrying too much - or too little - weight, or whatever?

I'm certainly not here saying that NOBODY could have done the Triple Crown before Brian, lots of things are possible. I am saying that I would take any such claim with several grains of salt, since possible can still be highly unlikely. Like Earl Schafer and Grandma Gatewood, I think Brian has earned his spot as a trail legend. And also like Earl, I think those who say different better have more proof than annonymous sources and on-line speculation.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2003, 12:09
Triple crowners. Whoopie doo! It took me 9 months and 10 grand to hike 1500 AT miles in 2000. I bet I had a better time.

chris
09-17-2003, 12:26
How in the world could you know this, Larry? Not a real believer in HYOH, are you? Try not to be so arrogant.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2003, 12:32
It's Lone not Larry. Me? Arrogant? hahaha!

Blue Jay
09-17-2003, 12:56
Joel, the other thing you have to consider is are they cashing in on their claims. I have far more respect for the all those who help to bring this forum to us than someone who uses the AT for their own personal speaking tour. Once again, I hate to say it but I agree with Larry, Whoopdedo. I am jealous that he got to hike all those miles, not the fact that he did it in one year. He is far from superhuman, just more hiker trash like the rest of us.

chris
09-17-2003, 18:24
Didn't Earl write a few books? Does that mean you respect Easy more than Earl? Does simply writing about one's experiences make them braggarts? No, certainly not. It would something else entirely if Brian did the calendar triple crown in order to write a book, in order to get famous, in order to collect royalties, in order to... etc, etc. But, he did not. No more than Earl did. Now, Bryson on the other hand...

I certain am jealous that Brian was able to do the Triple Crown in a year: I wish I had the degree of mental strength that such a feat would require. I am jealous that I don't have the physical ability (yet) to do such a thing. I'm just not jealous of the attention he gets because of it.

Fallingwater
09-17-2003, 18:59
As far as we know, Brian Robinson is the only single year Triple Crowner. It's highly unlikely that anyone else would have hiked all three trails in a single year and no one knowing about it. Not that it's impossible, just highly unlikely.

Brian's just finished an attempt to break the JMT speed record of 220 miles in a little over 4 days. He failed because he and his pacer were so punch drunk from lack of sleep that the got lost on last leg. He'd hike for four days and 200 miles on less than an hours sleep. The pacer had done over 100 miles.

There has been some talk about a PCT yo-yo next summer. But Brian won't confirm it yet. He may do so at the ALDHA-West Gathering in a couple of weeks.

Also if you know of anyone who's completed the Triple Crown, we are intested in hearing from them. They can contact us at [email protected].

Ron Moak
President - American Long Distance Hikers Association - West

warren doyle
09-19-2003, 11:54
I'm sure that Brian Robinson is the first, and only, person to hike MOST of all three trails of the Triple Crown in one calendar year - an unusual achievement that demanded personal qualities that I respect and admire in a person (We see only as much as we possess.' Emerson).
To me, the last great Appalachian Trail challenge is to walk the ENTIRE trail four times in one calendar year. What an endeavor that would be!

max patch
09-19-2003, 12:14
Originally posted by warren doyle
I'm sure that Brian Robinson is the first, and only, person to hike MOST of all three trails of the Triple Crown in one calendar year -

Warren, are you insinuating that BR didn't complete all 3 trails or am I reading your comment wrong? What is your source? Thanks, Max Patch

warren doyle
09-19-2003, 13:02
Max Patch,
At the Gathering 2001 & 2002, Brian Robinson (on his own accord whcih I admire greatly) stated that he wasn't a 'white blaze purist' when it came to his traverse of the Appalachian Trail but that he did walk from Georgia to Maine. He stated (also on his own accord) that he didn't mind having an 'asterisk' by his name.

His accomplishment is singular and his honesty is worthy of my praise.

Youngblood
09-19-2003, 13:28
Originally posted by warren doyle
Max Patch,
At the Gathering 2001 & 2002, Brian Robinson (on his own accord whcih I admire greatly) stated that he wasn't a 'white blaze purist' when it came to his traverse of the Appalachian Trail but that he did walk from Georgia to Maine. He stated (also on his own accord) that he didn't mind having an 'asterisk' by his name.

His accomplishment is singular and his honesty is worthy of my praise.

Walking from Georgia to Maine is what it is all about. Too much is sometimes made as to whether someone was a 'white blaze purist', a slack packer, etc. If in fact, he was not a 'white blaze purist' , it just means that he used common sense and hiked his own hike. Those that believe that you didn't hike the whole thing if you don't hit every white blaze need to realize what a thru-hike is suppose to be about... hiking from Georgia to Maine and enjoying it. It is not a competition. There are lots of places where alternate trails are just another way to get where you want to go safely or give you the option to see something that interest you. I think it just makes you a smart hiker as opposed to one that can only see white blazes.

Youngblood

TJ aka Teej
09-19-2003, 13:41
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

"October 27, 2001 - Brian finished the Triple Crown today!
He has hiked 7,371 miles in 300 days.
On the AT: ALL of 2,168 miles.
CDT: ALL of 2,558 miles.
PCT: ALL of 2,645 miles."

Spirit Walker
09-19-2003, 14:55
On the western trails there are very few purists. The CDT is not completely designated yet, and in some places the official route is not ideal for hikers (i.e. the 40 miles waterless stretch in NM, or following busy highways vs an alternate route that has 10 miles between water sources and cross country or following dirt roads instead of the pavement). The PCT is the same, since the official route had to be viable for horses and in many places there are alternate routes that are good for hikers but not for horses (i.e. Tunnel Falls). The guidebooks encourage alternate routes "The official trail is the stupidest, most ridiculous choice of routes through here . . . the alternative is beautiful, with lakes and views galore." Most thruhikers take alternate routes on both those trails. Almost every time we stayed on the offiical trail on the PCT instead of following a more scenic alternative, we regretted it.

Further, weather conditions and trail conditions often force alternate routes on trails that are largely above treeline. i.e. walking along an open ridgeline, five miles to go above treeline, with 40 mph winds and a thunderstorm approaching, if there is an alternate route, the smart thing to do is to take it. Or when snow level is 7500' and there is an alternate trail that drops down to 6500' why would you stay high, since chances are you would lose the trail quickly in the snow anyhow? Many hikers attempt to stay on the trail, but lose it because of lack of treadway and poor markings.

I know part of Brian's situation was that when he was hiking the AT, he was in snow for most of the trip. (January 1 start). It can be very hard to find those white blazes when they are buried or camouflaged. Also, I think that as a western hiker, he probably didn't understand that many AT hikers take purity very seriously. It seems kind of ridiculous, after hiking the PCT.

max patch
09-19-2003, 16:21
Warren, Thanks for your interesting and informative response.

Max Patch