05-07-2007, 22:21
Where are they at now?

Lone Wolf
05-08-2007, 07:05
Where are they at now?

my back yard

whykickamoocow
05-08-2007, 07:35
When do the bulk of Northbounders hit the trail? Im going to do a thru in 2008 probably starting somewhere between march 1st to mid march. If for example I was to leave in Mid march, how many fellow walkers can I expect to begin walking with.

Jaybird
05-08-2007, 08:20
When do the bulk of Northbounders hit the trail? Im going to do a thru in 2008 probably starting somewhere between march 1st to mid march. If for example I was to leave in Mid march, how many fellow walkers can I expect to begin walking with.

seems like most hikers (the "pack") start Springer mid-March-mid April.

i've just returned from 11 day section-hike..& the thru-hikers we encountered all started in mid-Feb-mid March. (the "Earlybirds").

Good Luck with your hike!:D

DavidNH
05-08-2007, 08:24

Mid March to Mid April is about the peak I am told. If you leave mid March you can expect to find nearly every shelter totally full often with tents set up around the shelter. That was my experience and I left Springer March 21. The crowds don't really, or for me at least didn't, thin out till after Damascus. If you hike during trail days you will have very uncrowded conditions as most of the hikers will be at trail days.

Now keep in mind that the crowds of hikers get even worse around April 1 and first week of April. So if you hike slow enough they will catch uo.

I suggest either leave before March 15 (in which case be prepared for several days of winter hiking conditions) or after mid April (and be prepared to maintain a good pace to get to Katahdin in time).

Leave Springer mid week. That will help as well. But no matter how you slice it..Georgia is going to be crowded. All that wonderful advertizing about the AT has brought folks out!

DavidNH (snickers)

TOW
05-08-2007, 08:27
I don't know if they are all northbounders, or even hikers as far as that goes, but there's a good bunch of hikers here in Damascus right now.........

Ron Haven
05-08-2007, 22:03
my back yardSo most are around Damascus.Just when I was getting 6 to 8 a day come to Franklin per day there were many who came in today.:o

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 23:51

Likely a minimum of at least thirty other people during the week, more on the weekend.