PDA

View Full Version : Franconia NH: Lonesome Lake AMC Hut, Greenleaf AMC Hut or Liberty Spring Campsite

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 08:56
I think the weekend of the 25th I'm going to do an overnite (maybe two) up in Franconia Notch State Park NH. Since I've not been there before I have a question or two from those who have. I plan on parking at the Flume Visitors Center and then hoofing it up the Recreation Trail till it crosses the AT. At that point I can go pretty much anywhere, the three hut/camps are all up for grabs as a destination and there are side trails it appears as well. Which one of the three, Lonesome Lake AMC Hut, Greenleaf AMC Hut or Liberty Spring Campsite would be the best to stay at as far as putting up a hammock away from people poop or finding other hikers to chat with at night? Is there a better shelter that isn't on my list that you know of?

Thanks

rafe
05-08-2007, 09:05
I think the weekend of the 25th I'm going to do an overnite (maybe two) up in Franconia Notch State Park NH. Since I've not been there before I have a question or two from those who have. I plan on parking at the Flume Visitors Center and then hoofing it up the Recreation Trail till it crosses the AT. At that point I can go pretty much anywhere, the three hut/camps are all up for grabs as a destination and there are side trails it appears as well. Which one of the three, Lonesome Lake AMC Hut, Greenleaf AMC Hut or Liberty Spring Campsite would be the best to stay at as far as putting up a hammock away from people poop or finding other hikers to chat with at night? Is there a better shelter that isn't on my list that you know of?

Thanks

There's no staying "near" the AMC facilites. You're either at them or you're invisible to the AMC rangers. There's no halfway. I've never hammocked, so maybe you can "stealth".

Of the three, Liberty Springs is a campsite (tent platform vs. a hut) and somewhat less intrusive. I've stayed there many times. They might let you hammock, or not.

Your options in AMC territory are to either play the game their way or not play at all, by being invisible.

The Snowman
05-08-2007, 12:14
Greenleaf hut will offer the "best" hut experence high remote and a more real hiker crowd. Lonesome lake attracts a more family crowd lots of kids but is a very pretty "easy" low elavaton destionation

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 13:33
There's no staying "near" the AMC facilites. You're either at them or you're invisible to the AMC rangers. There's no halfway. I've never hammocked, so maybe you can "stealth".

Of the three, Liberty Springs is a campsite (tent platform vs. a hut) and somewhat less intrusive. I've stayed there many times. They might let you hammock, or not.

Your options in AMC territory are to either play the game their way or not play at all, by being invisible.

What is near? I assume I can get up there, have a meal, and then pitch a site close to it (200 yards) right?

Old Hillwalker
05-08-2007, 13:56
Well, first off the huts are by reservation and often are reserved months in advance. There are often openings for one or two. Meals are only available to people staying at the huts. http://appalachia.outdoors.org/bbs/ (click on lodging). Looks like that week has openings but not the weekend. Better check the exorbitant cost of staying. $87.00 pp/night

Up on the Franconia Ridge just north of Liberty there are trees large enough to support a hammock, but this is actually a restricted use area where no camping is allowed if I remember correctly. So it's stealth. The areas within a quarter mile of all huts is also restricted use and so is any Alpine area where the trees are shorter than 8 feet. If you park at the Flume lot, use the lot that's farthest north, The Liberty Spring trail is pretty accessable from there. If you get to Liberty Spring tent sites and don't want to camp there, tank up on water because it's usually dry up on Franconia Ridge. There are lots of places to camp off the trail between Mt. Liberty and Haystack. But once you get to Haystack there is nothing near the trail from there to well past Mt Lafayette. (several miles of above treeline hiking). Once you get to Lafayette's summit you have 1000 feet of vertical and a mile down to Greenleaf Hut or another hour along Franconia Ridge and Garfield Ridge to find camping sites. There are a few stealth sites down on Skookumchuck Trail lust as you drop down off Franconia Ridge, but they are not very comfortable.

Last but not least.....be prepared to hike and possibly camp in snow. Trail conditions can be found here: http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/body.html

As long as you stay up on the ridges, black flies won't be a problem.

Have fun

Rhino-lfl
05-08-2007, 16:00
Looking at the PDF I downloaded, I was thinking about circling the Flume from the visitor center parking lot going around the basin, then catching the cascade trail up past the falls to the AT up to Lonesome Lake and finding a spot there. I should be good to -30 with my current set up and I'm going to forgo the crampons ... my patented bug away system should keep me black fly and tick free. Guess I'll forgo the company since it doesn't sound very hiker/comradely friendly.

weary
05-08-2007, 16:14
Well, first off the huts are by reservation and often are reserved months in advance. There are often openings for one or two. Meals are only available to people staying at the huts. http://appalachia.outdoors.org/bbs/ (click on lodging). Looks like that week has openings but not the weekend. Better check the exorbitant cost of staying. $87.00 pp/night....
All true. But use of the huts is down, as are almost all outdoor activities these days. Reservations have been easier to get lately, especially outside the prime summer season.

Actually, $87 is not totally unreasonable, when you consider it includes meals, and supplies have to be carried in on someone's back, of by expensive helicopters. Also there are discounts for multiple consecutive nights, and occasional special promotions and discounts.

If you backpack in the Whites very often, it may pay to join AMC and take advantage of the member discounts and special promotions.

Weary

Peaks
05-08-2007, 16:58
OK, lots of things to clarify here.

First, prior to June 1, huts are on caretaker, not full serve. The high huts like Madison and Lakes are still closed. Always best to check availablity on the web at www.outdoors.org first.

Tent platforms and shelters are first come first served. No reservations.

There are US Forest Service backcountry regulations the restrict tenting within 1/4 mile of any facility, including trailheads, shelters, huts, etc. Get the complete regulations on the USFS website for the White Mountain National Forest.

AMC does not have rangers. It's the USFS that has the rangers.

Looking for better places to go? Why not park at the Lincoln Woods trailhead and explore the Pemi. Or, if you want be alone, then go into the Wild River Wilderness Area.

florigen
05-08-2007, 17:06
Kinsman Pond area might be one to consider with shelter and tent platforms also plenty of areas for stealth camping off trail near the pond. There are overflow sites at Liberty Spring located just past the water source and over the rock face, (then follow trail) that not alot of people go to, first site you come to would be great for hammock camping. Caretaker season does not start at backcountry sites until either first or second weekend in June so tent sites and shelters will be free of charge. Met plenty of really great folks at both Liberty Springs and Kinsman Pond shelter area.
Great area in the Whites
Enjoy!

celt
05-08-2007, 17:49
I should be good to -30 with my current set up and I'm going to forgo the crampons ....

Your right to leave the crampons at home but don't forget the snow shoes. You shouldn't need to be prepared for -30. Valley temps in the Whites have been in the low 30's lately. The weather obs is a good source of info for summits: http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

Guess I'll forgo the company since it doesn't sound very hiker/comradely friendly.

The Whites are a busy place to hike and the USFS regs help protect the trail resources from heavy use, but they shouldn't make one think its an unfriendly place. The people, hikers and land managers alike, are as friendly as any place to hike.

I would also second the recommendation that if you seek less development or more solitude there are better places to explore. How about the Kilkenny Range? Or if its the A.T. you desire, The Mahoosucs.

DavidNH
05-08-2007, 18:20
What is near? I assume I can get up there, have a meal, and then pitch a site close to it (200 yards) right?

Rhino.. sorry. You can't plan to just go up to the a hut, have a meal, and pitch tent 200 yds away.

1) meals only for guests.

2) as mentioned previously Bunk dinner and breakfast at a hut would set you back 80 dollars plus, assuming you could make a reservation in the first place.

3) No camping allowed within a 1/4 mile of any hut. But Mizpah does have nearby tent platforms. I guess you could try and stealth but you have to carry water and not be seen.

4) You can always try the self service route (Lonesome is self service in off season and Carter Notch Hut is self service all the time).

5) if you are a thru hiker (or very long distance section hiker) there is always the work for stay option... very simple chores, sleep on table, arrive late in day, possible late start next morning..but you get the awsome dinner and breakfast!

6) be aware that the Whites have lots of day hikers and weekenders and many of the thru hikers have dropped out by that time. Therefore, thru hikers aren't catered to like they are further south. In Maine..thru hikers are catered to more because there are so few hikers up there..thru, section, or otherwise. I love Maine!

David

rafe
05-08-2007, 19:03

Umm, I don't think so. In general there's no camping within 1/4 mile of any AMC hut. You can try to stealth, and you might get away with it, but be warned that the USFS (sorry, not AMC) rangers are out looking for you, and they're not stupid.

I don't stay at AMC huts but I'll stay at their lean-tos and campsites. The one time I stayed at an AMC hut was about 30 years ago. It was an involuntary stay, and happened because my "stealth" campsite (near a hut) was discovered by a ranger, who cheerfully offered these two choices:
A) accept a $50 fine and be charged with the FEDERAL offense of illegal camping, or
B) break camp and spend the night in the hut.If I'm looking to camp by my lonesome in the woods, I specifically avoid AMC territory and head for the blue blazes, eg. in the Pemi wilderness area, or on the Passaconaway ridge. I consider "AMC territory" to be the AT corridor between Lonesome Lake Hut and Pinkham Notch.

Hikerhead
05-08-2007, 20:55
Soup and leftovers for lunch is available to anyone. If you hammock, loads of good places to hang out of sight.

celt
05-09-2007, 06:26
Carter Notch Hut is self service all the time

FYI, starting this summer Carter Notch Hut will be full service during the summer (June 1st to September 15th).

more info: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/carter-full-service-qa.cfm

DavidNH
05-09-2007, 08:17
FYI, starting this summer Carter Notch Hut will be full service during the summer (June 1st to September 15th).

more info: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/carter-full-service-qa.cfm

Wow Celt. That is total news to me.

Very unfortunate. I think there should always be ONE hut that is cheap. Besides.. Carter is relatively close (2.5 hrs walking?) from Pinkham.

David

Rhino-lfl
05-09-2007, 08:38
I would also second the recommendation that if you seek less development or more solitude there are better places to explore. How about the Kilkenny Range? Or if its the A.T. you desire, The Mahoosucs.

I agree, but I don't know anything about NH and don't know where to start up there. I'm more familiar with Franconia Notch since I've been to the flume once before.

As far as the lonsome lake amc hut, I was told by Franconia Notch visitor center it is open year round and staffed.

sixhusbands
05-09-2007, 09:17
This is one of my favorite areas of the White Mountains, but it also some of the wettest trails in the Whites! Falling waters trail and Flume slide trails will be a real challange this time of year. Passable but very wet! I would try Liberty Springs for the more remote of the three that you mentioned. With a little more effort , you could get to Garfield Ridge shelter and tentsites. This site is well away from the day hikers and the climb up and views are fantastic. Which ever trail you go, be prepared for cold conditions( sleet or snow could happen ) once you are above the treeline.

Happy trails
:sun

The Snowman
05-09-2007, 16:49
Lonesone Lake hut runs full service in summer and self service with a care tacker in winter. If you don't have a copy the amc white mt guide will be a great help in planning trips in the whites.

celt
05-09-2007, 16:51
As far as the lonsome lake amc hut, I was told by Franconia Notch visitor center it is open year round and staffed.

True. There are two seasons for staffing (and two very different prices): Caretaker only and Full Service. Call the AMC for info the best information, 603-466-2727, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, they run the Hut. The Hut is not part of Franconia Notch State Park (the visitors center I assume you called). I say this only because best intentions aside, sometimes one land management agency doesn't have the most up to date information about another agency's facilities. In this case the info was correct.

Rhino-lfl
05-10-2007, 10:42
Hmm ... I guess all I'm looking for is a place to park and a place to hang a hammock without park rangers or hippes shooting or throwing hemp bolos at me lol.

The AMC book is great for describing trails but it tells you next to nothing about where to park, get started, or where to stay other then an AMC hut.

rafe
05-10-2007, 11:17
Hmm ... I guess all I'm looking for is a place to park and a place to hang a hammock without park rangers or hippes shooting or throwing hemp bolos at me lol.

Hippies are the least of your problems. I haven't seen any since the 1960s, myself.

The AMC book is great for describing trails but it tells you next to nothing about where to park, get started, or where to stay other then an AMC hut.

Trailhead Parking: Arrive early, or give it up. The trailheads on Rte. 93 (for Franconia) are perenially overcrowded. Pinkham has several overflow lots. Parking isn't the AMC's problem. Trailheads on Rte 3 (eg. for access to Mt. Twin or Garfield, or further north for Madison, etc.) are somewhat less crowed. You also are likely to have better luck with trailheads on the Kancamagus Highway.

Where to get started: At a trailhead. D'oh.

Where to stay: At an AMC facility, or not at all. "Not at all" includes camping in a manner that's invisible to the AMC. For camping, think blue blaze trails, where the USFS/AMC folks really don't care much. On the AT itself, in the Whites, you play by AMC/USFS rules.