PDA

View Full Version : Crocs for guys with big feet

Frosty
05-08-2007, 10:11
When I bought my Crocs, (12/13) was the largest size they made. I bought a pair and cut out the toe box, but they still didn't fit my size seventeen feet right.

Now Crocs make size 3XL (14/15) and 4XL (16/17). I'm not sure why there is no size 2XL, but I'm not going to look a gift croc in the mouth.

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-15-4-beach.aspx?reqid=15&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

shout out to slipnslide for letting me know about this

eightiesguy
05-08-2007, 19:39
I've been using that as an excuse to not buy them.... now I might just have to break down and buy a pair. Does anyone know if the Crocs website ever has a sale or free shipping or anything like that.... It's still hard to justify paying $30+ for them.

Panzer1
05-08-2007, 19:51
I hate crocks. I just don't like the way they look. I think they are ugly...

Panzer

The Solemates
05-09-2007, 09:43
I've been using that as an excuse to not buy them.... now I might just have to break down and buy a pair. Does anyone know if the Crocs website ever has a sale or free shipping or anything like that.... It's still hard to justify paying $30+ for them.

you can get off-brand "crocs" for as little as $5 in some stores. i've even found the real deal as low as $15. i wouldnt pay $30.

Frosty
05-09-2007, 10:31
you can get off-brand "crocs" for as little as $5 in some stores. i've even found the real deal as low as $15. i wouldnt pay $30.No need for you normal-sized guys to rub it in to us big-footed guys in our own thread. You don't understand what is is like to be outside the general size spectrum.

Off-brands make to size 12 or so. They sell cheaply by only making popular sizes. When you wear size 16 or 17 shoes, you can't find these bargains in Wal-Marts, etc., and you buy what you can at the inflated price, or you do without.

I'd love to wear trail runners. They are unavailable to me.

The usual advice to try on boots until you get a pair that feels right doesn't apply to guys with size 16/17 feet. Go into an outfitter and try to imagine they have no boots your size. Repeat over and over. When you are lucky enough to find a pair of boots that fit, you get them. If they are a good match, tough tubers. It's them or nothing.

Large boots are generally made incorrectly because boot makers don't design them for large feet; they simply increase all dimensions of a smaller size the same amount, including the opening. Unfortunately, even though large feet may be one and a half times as long as a size nine, ankle thickness is not. It is hard to keep my heel from sliding in and out because the laces simply won't tighten.

Still, I am pathetically grateful that Columbia makes a boot my size at all. I have several pairs for fear they will discontinue their line of large sizes.

Sorry to whine, sometimes it is just frustrating. I would never trade being tall and hard to fit for being normal.

eightiesguy
05-09-2007, 16:13
I know exactly what you mean, Frosty. My current boots are a pair of LLBean boots. They aren't exactly light weight, but they are what I could find within my budget at the time. Many boot makers stop at a size 12. If they go to a 13 or 14, then they only have medium width. I don't know anyone with a large foot that requires only a medium width. I need at least a EE, but prefer a EEEE.

Back on topic:
My wife has a couple of pair of the 2xl crocs (actually one pair of crocs and a couple pair of the allheart.com equivalet), and I've been tempted to cut the toe out of a pair to try for camp shoes. Is the material they are made of a "closed cell" type of material? I don't want to cut into them if it will leave an opening for water to get down inside the shoe.

Frosty
05-09-2007, 17:53
I know exactly what you mean, Frosty. My current boots are a pair of LLBean boots. They aren't exactly light weight, but they are what I could find within my budget at the time. Many boot makers stop at a size 12. If they go to a 13 or 14, then they only have medium width. I don't know anyone with a large foot that requires only a medium width. I need at least a EE, but prefer a EEEE.

Back on topic:
My wife has a couple of pair of the 2xl crocs (actually one pair of crocs and a couple pair of the allheart.com equivalet), and I've been tempted to cut the toe out of a pair to try for camp shoes. Is the material they are made of a "closed cell" type of material? I don't want to cut into them if it will leave an opening for water to get down inside the shoe.I didn't have a problem with the material after cutting out a place for my big toe. The problem was the footbed was still too small and my heel straddled the raised part of the back of the footbed.

I found that a local store carried the large sizes and I didn't have to order them. Actually found that the largest size was too big - first time I put on a pair of shoes too big for since I was about ten years old :)

Anyway, the 3XLs fit perfectly.

Columbia makes some boot models to size 17. Yoku may get a store to order for you. In my area (Portsmouth, NH), two stores will do this: Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, and Red's Shoe Barn in Dover, NH. I go with Red's because they do not require a big deposit to order shoes, and have no problem if when they arrive tehy don't fit and I don't take them. The problem is that even though the COlumbia catalog says they make these boots, they are not in continuous prodcution, and most of the time the order comes back "shoe not currently available."

With patience and the help of Red's, though, I have two pairs of ankle high boots and three pairs of low boots.