PDA

View Full Version : camouflage frog-togs

flagator
05-08-2007, 10:32
Is camouflage frog-togs problem on the AT. Will i be accidently shot at my hunters? Just curious, I've wore them hiking before, but in FL, in non hunting areas, I dont htink any of the AT is open for hunting, but that doesn't mean there isn't hunters I suppose. What do you think??

Alligator
05-08-2007, 10:39
Having some blaze orange in hunting season is recommended.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-08-2007, 10:41
No sweat, just hide behind a life size cardboard cutout of a 12 point buck. Anyone who wears cammo in the woods is asking for it, but then I don't trust hunters (or anyone actually) to always do the right thing.

max patch
05-08-2007, 10:59
I dont htink any of the AT is open for hunting, but that doesn't mean there isn't hunters I suppose.

Not true.

Since you are from FL, here are the hunting dates for the AT in GA:

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/hunting.html

I always wear an orange hiking shirt so I never have to "remember" when hunting season is.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2007, 12:03
Some of the good ol' boys (and girls) in TN hunt on or near the AT as well -- and not always in hunting season. I'd strongly recommend not using camo frog toggs. If you already have some, add some blaze orange to them on all four sides.

moxie
05-08-2007, 20:33
I had a friend named George, met him in the Air Force, heck of a fighter pilot, George left the Air Force and became a pilot for Delta, George loved to hunt, said the best way to get a deer was to blend in and act like a deer, George wore camo head to foot, he would sit at the edge of the woods and barely move, if you yelled at George he would just sit there in his camo and not ever move. He had a call and would make a sound like a deer. George is dead now. The sheriff was hunting, heard the call, mistook George for a deer and shot him. Because George was wearing camo the Shooter got off. DON'T WEAR CAMO AND WALK AROUND DURING DEER SEASON,,,,11111 (REAL DUMB MOVE)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2007, 20:43
I...George wore camo head to foot, he would sit at the edge of the woods and barely move, .... He had a call and would make a sound like a deer. George is dead now. The sheriff was hunting, heard the call, mistook George for a deer and shot him. Because George was wearing camo the Shooter got off. DON'T WEAR CAMO AND WALK AROUND DURING DEER SEASON,,,,11111 (REAL DUMB MOVE)In ME several years ago a hunter got set free after shooting a housewife who was hanging laundry on her clothes line -- the reason - she was wearing white cotton gloves!!! Do everything you can to avoid being shot by hunters. Some things are worth the trouble to do and do right. Marking yourself and your gear is one of those things.

aaroniguana
05-08-2007, 21:43
That's why camo frogg toggs are cheaper than the bright purple ones at Outdoor World! Glad I didn't buy them...

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 21:54
Definitely people in the South shoot things that don't even have a hunting season. Saw people with Guns along the AT several times last summer. A maintainer said he finds deer stands set up in the trail corridor where the hunters are shooting AT THE TRAIL frequently.

Isn't there some sort of hunting rule that you don't shoot at something if you don't know what it is???

Skidsteer
05-08-2007, 22:12
Isn't there some sort of hunting rule that you don't shoot at something if you don't know what it is???

Yes. Generally it places in the top three commandments of Hunter safety:

Be sure of your target and what is in front of and beyond your target.

A maintainer said he finds deer stands set up in the trail corridor where the hunters are shooting AT THE TRAIL frequently.

True....Here's one on the Approach trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13247&c=favorites).

Skidsteer
05-08-2007, 22:16

Yes.

"Be sure of your target and what is in front of and beyond your target."

It generally places in the top three rules for various hunter safety courses.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/shotsafe.phtml

A maintainer said he finds deer stands set up in the trail corridor where the hunters are shooting AT THE TRAIL frequently.

True....Here's one on the Approach trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13247&c=favorites).

aaroniguana
05-08-2007, 22:28
Shouldn't be surprised. When I was stationed in Upper Michigan 20 years ago, spent a weekend in Wisconsin. Farmers spray painted "COW" on their cows so the hunters don't shoot them.

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 22:36
Shouldn't be surprised. When I was stationed in Upper Michigan 20 years ago, spent a weekend in Wisconsin. Farmers spray painted "COW" on their cows so the hunters don't shoot them.

Oh, that one made me cry.

ric2hunt
05-08-2007, 23:14
I do not think a camo top will make much difference. I have not seen many deer or bear or any other animal for that matter wearing camo in the woods but then again that may be why I do not see many.

Besides, your pack and other gear is usually a giveaway. I have never seen deer wear a pack.

oldfivetango
05-09-2007, 07:38
I do not think a camo top will make much difference. I have not seen many deer or bear or any other animal for that matter wearing camo in the woods but then again that may be why I do not see many.

Besides, your pack and other gear is usually a giveaway. I have never seen deer wear a pack.

You should at least have a blaze orange hunters cap.No responsible
hunter would take a shot at something that "moved" without clearly
identifying the target.The guy that shot a lady hanging laundry would
have gotten voluntary manslaughter at the very least had I been on the
jury.But when you are the one in the woods,even on your own property,
you have to remember we have plenty of fools out there as well-
and they are armed and dangerous.So wear some orange.That's why
I have a Tennessee jersey.It is so versatile-wear it to the game on Saturday,deer hunting on Sunday,and on my job with the road crew
all week!:banana
Oldfivetango

moxie
05-09-2007, 08:50
Been a deer and moose hunter all my life. It is a sad testimony to the sport that many hunters in the excitment of the chase will shoot at any movement, especially after they "jumped" a deer. Just this fall an 18 year old girl was killed while in her back yard after a hunter shot her with a muzzle load rifle just after he saw a deer. He got 30 days in jail and a long probation. You are not safe in camo.....period

Footslogger
05-09-2007, 09:10
Having some blaze orange in hunting season is recommended.

=================================

Now there's an idea ...BLAZE ORANGE FROGG TOGGS !!

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-09-2007, 09:19
Ric2hunt, the problem is hunters often shoot before making sure what they are shooting. If they only see or hear movement and only see the side of your camo-clad leg, they may well assume you are a deer, turkey or bear. However, if they see blaze orange they know you are not an animal (or are a painted cow :D).

Re: cows, I once saw a proud hunter with a young jersey calf straped to the front of his pickup in upstate NY. He was from the city, it was his first time hunting and he had no idea it was not a deer. While I know many hunters are careful, not all are. I try to prepare for the least careful and experienced hunter out there because a childhood friend (and distant relative) was shot by someone in his party (also a relative) while hunting at age 16. He lived, but had chronic health problems from the incident. An ounce (gram) of prevention is worth a pound (kilogram) of cure.

Alligator
05-09-2007, 10:18
=================================

Now there's an idea ...BLAZE ORANGE FROGG TOGGS !!

'SloggerThat is a good idea. And they do make ORANGE (http://www.waterstrider.com/outdoor-clothing.htm), which I did not know:eek: .

SouthMark
05-09-2007, 12:38

Definitely people in the South shoot things that don't even have a hunting season.

oldfivetango
05-09-2007, 13:21
That is a good idea. And they do make ORANGE (http://www.waterstrider.com/outdoor-clothing.htm), which I did not know:eek: .
Yup- why you think I have a blaze orange Frog Tog top?Actually
it is more of an orange sherbert appearance but should do the trick.
OFT

Alligator
05-09-2007, 13:40
Yup- why you think I have a blaze orange Frog Tog top?...Because you live in the South:cool: ?

J/K;) .

I also saw that they make the camo Toggs for kids.

Concerned Ranger
"What was the child wearing?"

Parent
"Mossy Oak.":rolleyes:

Rain Man
05-09-2007, 22:02
. Just this fall an 18 year old girl was killed while in her back yard after a hunter shot her with a muzzle load rifle just after he saw a deer. He got 30 days in jail and a long probation.

Where are mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes when you need them?

Rain:sunMan

aaroniguana
05-09-2007, 22:25
Re: cows, I once saw a proud hunter with a young jersey calf straped to the front of his pickup in upstate NY. He was from the city, it was his first time hunting and he had no idea it was not a deer.

I know a wildlife enforcement agent. The stories he tells... At least once a year someone rolls up to the tagging station with a cow in the bed of their truck or a sheep or a goat or something domesticated, occasionally tied to the hood and then usually crushing the hood in. I also remember hunting geese in Michigan, a guy from Philadelphia was with us. Brushed the barrel of a shotgun on the electric fence FOUR times that day. After we warned him every time we got close to the fence.

City people + hunting = hilarity

flagator
05-10-2007, 14:56
Perhaps, I will paint some orange on them... and also make it a rule that when it is raining, I put on my orange hat, or something.....

NICKTHEGREEK
05-10-2007, 15:47

Pretty safe assumption that 99.999% of all Wisconsin hunters can read, but still not worth the risk in the rest of the country.

stumpy
05-10-2007, 19:55
There are game animals that are open season all year long, so it is a good idea to wear some non-natural colors. If you already have the Frogg Toggs, you could get some Neon (safety) orange duct tape and wrap your cuffs and such.

Appalachian Tater
05-10-2007, 20:09
Perhaps, I will paint some orange on them... and also make it a rule that when it is raining, I put on my orange hat, or something.....

Just don't buy the camouflage ones!

Seriously, why do hunters buy camouflage to wear with an orange vest?

Skidsteer
05-10-2007, 21:12
Just don't buy the camouflage ones!

Seriously, why do hunters buy camouflage to wear with an orange vest?

'Cause the experts(Mossy Oak and Realtree:p )have convinced them that deer can't see blaze orange.

So we're left wondering just how weirded out a deer gets when he sees a pair of walking trees with a human head floating three feet above them.