PDA

View Full Version : Hiking w/ family and dog - Bear's Den to Harper's Ferry

Longy
05-08-2007, 12:08
I am planning a 2 day hike with my family (wife and 2 boys aged 8 & 10) and our 2 year old dog from Bear's Den to Harper's Ferry. We are all very active (dog included) but this will be our first hiking outing. Any advice for this particular section of the trail as it pertains to my specific scenario (especially any advice on dog friendly places in Harper's Ferry) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Uncle Silly
05-14-2007, 15:45
nothing specific to add. it's a nice stretch of trail, enjoy yourselves. there are places nearer the Bear's Den end where you can let the pup offleash (if you go for that sort of thing), but there are lots of road crossings where you'll definitely need the leash handy. if your dog is never offleash, i'd recommend making sure you've got a 6' length handy (for road walks, where you want to keep him close) and something longer -- maybe 20' (for camp, so he's got some roaming room). my dog's trail leash is a 30' length of rope, knotted about every 6' or so, so that i've got easy options for shorter or longer leashes as the situation dictates.

Longy
05-15-2007, 09:24
Thanks Uncle Silly for your feedback, especially regarding the 30' length of rope. Good idea. Our hike has actually evolved into a one day (no overnight) from Gathland State Park SOBO into Harper's Ferry. Seems like it might be a bit more interesting/scenic coming in from this direction. Also sans overnight is probably a better idea for a first hike with dog and kids.

LIhikers
05-16-2007, 07:59
For a leash my wife and I use something called Flexilead. It's an adjustable length leash that automaticly rewinds into the handle as you let it get shorter. Plus you can lock it at any length. My wife puts her belt through the handle which leaves her hands free of hiking poles. More info at www.flexiusa.com (http://www.flexiusa.com)

SteveJ
05-16-2007, 09:05
For a leash my wife and I use something called Flexilead. It's an adjustable length leash that automaticly rewinds into the handle as you let it get shorter. Plus you can lock it at any length. My wife puts her belt through the handle which leaves her hands free of hiking poles. More info at www.flexiusa.com (http://www.flexiusa.com)

We use the same method with Phoebe. She's never off-lead, and the flexilead gives her enough line (16') to give her some freedom as we hike. The only disadvantage I've found is that as she tugs, she eventually loosens the pack waistbelt. Not a big deal, as I usually loosen and tighten the belt (to give shoulders / back a break) as I hike anyway.....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9360&c=517

RadioFreq
05-16-2007, 11:24
For a leash my wife and I use something called Flexilead. It's an adjustable length leash that automaticly rewinds into the handle as you let it get shorter. Plus you can lock it at any length.

I'm not sure my wife would ever let me put her on a leash. :D