PDA

View Full Version : MoneyPit Hostel Story

Fannypack
05-08-2007, 13:54
MoneyPit Hostel is listed as .5 miles west of AT crosssing of PA501... This hostel is in the 2007 AT Companion.

Checkout extract from the journal entry of May 8, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=178946 , from Groovasaurus,

.... "There we were, sitting in the middle of an 800$ deal for a Vischle, when the puppy for sale took a dump about two feet from my pack (Let me remind you, we were sitting in the living room of the Moneypit). It was then that Twister said to me in german, "Da isch nix" which in the right tone of voice translates into "Let's get the hell out of here!" Which is exactly what we did.
We ended up walking up to 501 and hitching into Pine Grove to have a phenomenal dinner at Schols Family Diner. The owner of the establishment, Steve, was extremely kind and gave us a ride back up to the 501 Shelter (which is where we should have planned to stay in the first place).

Moral of this story: Avoid any hotel/hostel/motel/inn with the word "pit" in the name of the establishment!"anyone else had experience(s) with this hostel/hostile????

Lyle
05-08-2007, 23:07
I stayed at the Moneypit last summer for one night. Fritz and May Baby (AmyLou) were very friendly, grilled a great steak for dinner. Their home is definately a handyman special, but I have stayed at worse, I'm more concerned about the people.

They allowed me to leave my vehicle parked at their house instead of at the 501. They did have a new litter of pups living in a wading pool in the living room at the time. They allowed Brainfreeze to use their computer to do her online business while I was there. This was during the PA floods, they also fed a huge group of hikers who were waiting out the flooded trail at the 501 shelter - delivered a spagettii dinner to them.

All in all, some may not be satisfied with the facilities, but my experience was that the folks were friendly, helpful, and enjoyed hikers.

Pokey2006
05-09-2007, 00:51
I had a very interesting experience there. She was very sweet and well-meaning -- I think I just caught them on an off-day. But I only tell the story in person over beers...

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 04:24
I had a very interesting experience there. She was very sweet and well-meaning -- I think I just caught them on an off-day. But I only tell the story in person over beers...

Hey, lets have a couple beers, I'd love to hear the story. It may help me decide for this summer. I'm just down the road in Swampscott. :)

attroll
05-09-2007, 04:45
I want to here the story too. Where are we all going to gather to have a beer and hear the story?

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 04:47
I want to here the story too. Where are we all going to gather to have a beer and hear the story?

How about Swampscott Mass. Or do you think we could get her to do an appearance in Millinocket on the 31st of May?:)

applejack
05-09-2007, 06:56
what, down the red rock? is there anywhere else in swampscott worth being?!

Doctari
05-09-2007, 08:07
In my (Admitedly limited [368 miles]) experience on the trail, without fail EVERY: Hostel, hotel, motel, shelter, store, road crossing, view, inch of trail, etc. will have a "Horror story" about it. They will ALL also have a "WOW, what a wonderful __________ that was!". So, while I do read them, & I do apreciate the "warning", I generally don't pay them any attention. If I had, I wouldn't have had some of the great times I did along the way.

Have I had a bad time / experience anywhere on the trail? Yep.
Am I going to spread the misery? Nope!

Doctari.

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 08:38
what, down the red rock? is there anywhere else in swampscott worth being?!

Actually I cross the road, go down to the beach and can a walk a few hundred yards right to the Red Rock. I've only been there once and Don't really know any of the other 'places' in town. But it has one thing I need.
Nature in it's ocean form as far as I can see and as far as I can walk. A great place to get my lungs and legs ready for the trail. And the folks here are pretty decent. But if you know of anyplace fun here I'd like to know of it.
I noticed a place called 'Tides' when I walked to Nahant this morning. Ever heard of it?:)

applejack
05-09-2007, 09:24
not that i spend much time in bars, i'll tend to find the drink i want and take it home to enjoy. did some work in nahant the past couple weeks, i think i noticed tides, but never been in there. what was it, right by the beloved dunkin donuts?

applejack
05-09-2007, 09:28
additionally, it's good that you're walking distances to get training, but personally i wouldn't forget that all the walking from the red rock to tides is concrete sidewalk. when i trained, i did so in my home gloucester's local woods. i found i didn't really need to train on steep mountains, but that walking on uneven natural terrain was of importance to get the muscles and joints used to it. but then, there are those that don't do any pretrip training at all, so, whatever!

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 09:35
not that i spend much time in bars, i'll tend to find the drink i want and take it home to enjoy. did some work in nahant the past couple weeks, i think i noticed tides, but never been in there. what was it, right by the beloved dunkin donuts?

It is exactly right next to Dunkin Donuts. As for your next post my sidewalk time is limited as I walk the beaches as far as I can - usually right at the water's edge and run the stairs and climb the rocks. IT's certainly not the best terrain training but such is the price of living by the beach.:)
Are you still around? If so PM me.

Peace,
Warraghiyagey
SOBO7

PAmoneypit
03-18-2009, 20:19
Hello everyone,
The new season of hikers has approached us fast. Looking forward to making new friend along the trail. I no longer have the hostel in my home but I do have a place to house the hikers. The room is 35.00 a bed includes a hot shower/breakfast and it's right in town close to laundry,grocery,bar. Call for availablity 570-345-1119 or cell 570-292-3350 Amy Lu

cityofneworleans
05-13-2009, 09:03
i am a 62 year old male section hiker. been at it for 10 years . this past week i hiked duncannon to port clinton. i used the moneypit for 2 days . the pit has relocated to down town pine grove. it is near a very good pub , laundry, two pizza take outs and steve's caterer and sub shop. post office one block away and a drug store with ups access.amy lu is the owner. she picked me up on time at hwy 443. next day she dropped off at 443 for my slackpack to hwy 501. she was on time to pick up and back to town. next day she drove me to port clinton for hike back to pine grove on monday 5-11-09 she drove me to harrisburg airport. amy lu is a great host . she has very good trail savy.because i snore. i try not to disturb fellow hikers. therefore i rented the apartment as a sigle for $65 per night.[she will allow up to 3 hikers in the apartment to split the $65] the apt had bath, kitchen, living room. i read the story about the dog poop. i hope this one incident will not prevent hikers from visiting the moneypit .amy lu is a great resorce and a friend to the hiker and the trail. signed THECITYOFNEWORLEANS may 13 2009

PAmoneypit
05-16-2009, 13:04
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the post. We really enjoyed the visit with you I hope you bring the wife sometime. I finally got to sleep a night in the new beds we bought for the apt. Gosh they were glorious...... I decided to buy myself a new one again this summer. I'm glad you enjoyed our little town & it's people. I saw John from the Kater's place...he said it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the brags you gave his sandwiches. See you next year for another leg of the trail. Take care of yourself. OH !!! Best wished to your daughter and her new married life this Aug.09'

Amy lu aka maybabie