PDA

View Full Version : Abol Slide Trail and YDS

rumbler
05-08-2007, 17:31
Does anyone know if the Abol Slide Trail at Katahdin has a Yosemite Decimal System grade, and if so what it would be? Some friends are having a discussion of the YGS and I am trying to relate it to something I am familiar with.

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2007, 19:29
If I'm not mistaken that's a technical rock climbing measure. Abol Slide is just a hiking trail, very steep and exposed over loose rock for a considerable stretch. No technical climbing involved.

rumbler
05-08-2007, 20:05
No, the most commonly referenced 5+ rankings are, but the system itself describes most all vertical rises:

* Class 1: Hiking.
* Class 2: Simple scrambling, with possible occasional use of the hands.
* Class 3: Scrambling, a rope can be carried but is usually not required.
* Class 4: Simple climbing, with exposure. A rope is often used. Natural protection can be easily found. Falls may well be fatal.
* Class 5: Technical free climbing. Climbing involves rope, belaying, and other protection hardware for safety.

I'm thinking Abol would certainly be a 3 and possibly a 4, but am very interested if there is an official scale assignment for the trail.

mudhead
05-08-2007, 20:17
I'd give it a 2. With the oddball spot where you would not want to stub your toe. It is steep enough that I have no urge to do it downhill. But then I am a sissy. TJ can tell you about the blood donation program there...

I wonder if you were in bada$$ trail shape, if you could do that trail without hands touching. Balance yes. Hmm...

I bet I make it into the open about 100 feet.

mudhead
05-08-2007, 20:23
Probably too much loose stuff for that idiot idea. Kinda like climbing an endless ladder with no hands. Not practical after 5-6 rungs.

rumbler
05-08-2007, 20:41
If you can get up the Abol with no hands you are one bad MoFo. There are spots where I had to wedge myself up. I'm sure others can scamper up quite quickly, but I can't see doing it without more than the occasional use of hands.

Not saying it can't be done, but certainly not by me or anyone I know.

A four is probably far too much, although there are spots where I would not want to lose my purchase. A three seems reasonable, but then again I am not a technical climber. That's a large part of why I would like too see if Abol has an "official" classification: Compare what I would think of as a hard scramble against the perceptions of the climbing - as opposed to the trekking - community.

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2007, 21:28
I did a header there that was a 9.0, though.

Alligator
05-08-2007, 22:39
I did it once, and would put it somewhere between 1 and 2. I don't remember needing much in the way of hand holds. Certainly not a rope.

Nightwalker
05-09-2007, 13:21
For comparison, the mid section of the Hunt trail is supposedly rated as a 3. I don't remember, however, if it was a ranger that told me that.

BTW, the rangers in Baxter are as nice as they get. Don't let any whiners tell you different. There are some real swifties around that complain about any and everything.

Alligator
05-09-2007, 13:51
For comparison, the mid section of the Hunt trail is supposedly rated as a 3. I don't remember, however, if it was a ranger that told me that.

BTW, the rangers in Baxter are as nice as they get. Don't let any whiners tell you different. There are some real swifties around that complain about any and everything.The Hunt trail has actual embedded hand holds though. Plus there's a bit of a boulder scramble as you reach the tableland. I do remember using my hands a bit there.

I'm doing the Knife Edge though next time I go. Up that is:p .

The Old Fhart
05-09-2007, 14:07
I have gone up and down the Abol Slide in winter and because everything is frozen there is no loose unstable rock like what you find in summer.

Also once I was going down the slide and was passed by a couple who were probably Mennonite. The woman was wearing a long dress. Not something you see every day on the Abol Slide.;)

Alligator
05-09-2007, 14:22
Also once I was going down the slide and was passed by a couple who were probably Mennonite. The woman was wearing a long dress. Not something you see every day on the Abol Slide.;)Could have been a little more interesting in the other direction:eek:.

Hubba Hubba:o .

hobbit
05-09-2007, 14:32
i'd say its easily a 3... there are parts that deserved handholds like those on the hunt trail
and i can imagine a fall there being fatal

rumbler
05-12-2007, 13:10
Thx for responses. I take it there is no "official" rating then.