PDA

View Full Version : Mass AT House for Sale

Cosmo
05-08-2007, 18:19
The house adjacent to the AT in North Adams is up for sale. See the bottom right hand item on this page http://stateline-realty.com/_wsn/page4.html "North Adams Colonial".

Cosmo

TinAbbey
05-09-2007, 00:08
can you see the house from the trail?

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 04:31
can you see the house from the trail?

You certainly can. You walk right through theirside yard to get to the road. I'd love to buy that place and do what Tom does in Dalton. It would be perfect. Anyone here think the members here could gather $190,000 and call it the WB house? . . . Seriously.:) :) :)

Peace
Warraghiyagey
SOBO7

attroll
05-09-2007, 04:44
I here you. I would love to purcahse that also. The wife and I have always wanted to have a hostel and a B&B but we do not have $190,000 to buy it with.

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 04:51
I here you. I would love to purcahse that also. The wife and I have always wanted to have a hostel and a B&B but we do not have $190,000 to buy it with.

OK, seriously I could give $3,000. Surely the collection of WBers could come close to the right amount, we could start our offer at $170,000.
The WB house is born.:) :)

Appalachian Tater
05-09-2007, 09:37
Form a not-for-profit to buy it. $170 sounds high for a starting offer. Probably need about $200,000 to buy it, pay associated fees, a year of taxes, and some repairs. Sell 200 shares at $1,0000 each with a limit of 5 or 10 per person.

Unfortunately it's on a very small lot for a house out in the country owned by a bunch of people.

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 09:46
Form a not-for-profit to buy it. $170 sounds high for a starting offer. Probably need about $200,000 to buy it, pay associated fees, a year of taxes, and some repairs. Sell 200 shares at $1,0000 each with a limit of 5 or 10 per person.

Unfortunately it's on a very small lot for a house out in the country owned by a bunch of people.

Well there would certainly have to be some logistics worked out. It's purpose would have to be as a hostel by and for hikers but there would also have to be a keeper/caretaker or a co-operative whereby a committee would oversee it's upkeep and certainly would have to be occupied by said keepers, be it a couple people year round or a scheduled rotation of keepers.
It's not impossible. Meaning lining up the logistics and making it possible.
Anyone?:) :)

bigcranky
05-09-2007, 10:03
Four bedrooms, but only one bathroom. Ha. That'll be fun with a house full of hikers. Otherwise a nice looking house.

Old Grouse
05-09-2007, 10:09
Has anyone checked to see if there are zoning issues?

mark schofield
05-09-2007, 17:38
An outside hot shower, a few picknick tables, and a leanto for the hikers. An inside bedroom could be used for resupply, traded books and gear, a common room to BS in bad weather. A nice stop along the way, like Upper Goose Pond. How's he septic system? Probably an washer/dryer on the ground floor. Makes me dream. Mark S

mweinstone
05-09-2007, 17:48
whats wrong with fourhundred people with 500 bucks? why not 800 folks with 250 bucks? once its running and turning a profit enough to self sustain,...we all wait for the property value to skyrocket 20 years from now. or,.. we simply hand the deed down in our familys as a proud tradition. eventualy some hard working honest couple would be our permenent trusted caretakers and we would teach and make it a learning hostle.im in for all my bucks. as scrimpy as they may be. you could have all my money.

mweinstone
05-09-2007, 17:53
endowments, grants, set up a non profit. boy scouts? anyway you cut it, its a worthy endevor. to establish a foundation on the trail teaching usefull skills. a refuge of some sort. an agracultural demonstration garden. a theem of passive solar, maby a theem of wastefull failure, but worth discussion and brainstorm. i say we form a com,......kidding.

mweinstone
05-09-2007, 17:55
endowments, grants, set up a non profit. boy scouts? anyway you cut it, its a worthy endevor. to establish a foundation on the trail teaching usefull skills. a refuge of some sort. an agracultural demonstration garden. a theem of passive solar, maby a theem of wastefull failure, but worth discussion and brainstorm. i say we form a com,......kidding.the matthewski center for thruhiking disorders

Appalachian Tater
05-09-2007, 19:33
once its running and turning a profit enough to self sustain,

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

In my earlier post, I meant co-op, not not-for-profit, as a legal structure.

It would of course not be for profit.

RockStar
05-09-2007, 20:10
[quote=mweinstone;361245] boy scouts? quote]

I hope they don't make me sleep on the lawn the day I come through. ;)

MrHappy
05-10-2007, 10:40
I'm in, and I live in the area. Could scout it out. Wouldn't mind being a caretaker. We could do it like upper goose pond - each caretaker is assigned a one week shift. We could close it in the winter months (October - February) since I don't think there would be many hikers coming through. Mass is in dire need of a good hostel. (Upper goose pond is nice but it has no resupply, so it's really more like an awesome shelter with pancake breakfast).

mweinstone
05-10-2007, 15:19
all bacon. all the time. one low cover at the door gets you all the bacon you want. the legond of bacon hollow will go down in history. or a greese fire.

warraghiyagey
05-11-2007, 03:36
whats wrong with fourhundred people with 500 bucks? why not 800 folks with 250 bucks?
. . . we simply hand the deed down in our familys as a proud tradition. eventualy some hard working honest couple would be our permenent trusted caretakers and we would teach and make it a learning hostle.im in for all my bucks. as scrimpy as they may be. you could have all my money.

Exactly. And we could deed the property with a 'hiker trust' stipulation, whereby it could never become a victim of eminent domain.
It is possible that a WB house could be maintained with all the good folks that love the trail and engage in this very large family that is WhiteBlaze.:) :)

RockStar
05-11-2007, 03:57
I think you guys are onto something. *starts counting coins from the "savings" jar.

camojack
05-11-2007, 06:59
The house adjacent to the AT in North Adams is up for sale. See the bottom right hand item on this page http://stateline-realty.com/_wsn/page4.html "North Adams Colonial".
Cosmo

Interesting. I wonder if the AMC, ATC, etc. would want to get involved in acquiring it... :-?

Old Grouse
05-11-2007, 07:00
I'll say it again: before you go crazy here, you'd better check with someone in authority to see if local zoning regulations or other laws would prevent or restrict your intended uses.

Ron Haven
05-12-2007, 23:32
I'll say it again: before you go crazy here, you'd better check with someone in authority to see if local zoning regulations or other laws would prevent or restrict your intended uses.how many hikers pass there per year?

warraghiyagey
05-13-2007, 00:09
how many hikers pass there per year?

Well, let's see - every thru-hiker which is justification enough. But there probably aren't many places on the AT that could account for the number of day, week and section hikers. Let's just say - many.
There has to be enough variety of backgrounds of the WB membership to investigate all the details and logistics necessary to move forward with at least an attempt.
Camojack - my feeling of involving the ATC or any other entity is that it would then become the realm of something outside a simple cooperative of the WB family which is what inspired the thought originally. There are numerous hostels and houses along the way for hikers to turn to, this would be something quite different and it would be unfortunate to be under the auspices of a group that the hikers may not have a particular say with. This place or the concept of a WB house would be by the hikers, for the hikers.
It's possible if enough of us wanted to make it happen.
And checking zoning issues is only one of the directions we would have to go to move forward to making it a reality. This house is not in a heavily populated area which would make any possible zoning conflicts even easier to address. And it's right on the trail which also tends to our favor.
There are many issues we could discuss about why it wouldn't work which would moot the point. Is there enough interest to consider how it could work?
That is the question.:)

Ron Haven
05-13-2007, 00:27
Well, let's see - every thru-hiker which is justification enough. But there probably aren't many places on the AT that could account for the number of day, week and section hikers. Let's just say - many.
There has to be enough variety of backgrounds of the WB membership to investigate all the details and logistics necessary to move forward with at least an attempt.
Camojack - my feeling of involving the ATC or any other entity is that it would then become the realm of something outside a simple cooperative of the WB family which is what inspired the thought originally. There are numerous hostels and houses along the way for hikers to turn to, this would be something quite different and it would be unfortunate to be under the auspices of a group that the hikers may not have a particular say with. This place or the concept of a WB house would be by the hikers, for the hikers.
And checking zoning issues is only one of the directions we would have to go to move forward to making it a reality. This house is not in a heavily populated area which would make any possible zoning conflicts even easier to address. And it's right on the trail which also tends to our favor.
There are many issues we could discuss about why it wouldn't work which would moot the point. Is there enough interest to consider how it could work?
Originally Posted by Ron Haven http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=362431#post362431)

warraghiyagey
05-13-2007, 01:32
Originally Posted by Ron Haven http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=362431#post362431)

Hey Ron I clicked this link and only a blank page came up.:confused: :)

Heater
05-13-2007, 01:53
Originally Posted by Ron Haven [/URL][URL]http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=362431#post362431)

Thinking 'bout a summer home? I think it'd be great. You help the starters, then come back and help the prospective finishers.

:cool:

Roland
05-13-2007, 08:43
The members of this website can't agree on the placement of a logo on a 20 dollar t-shirt. I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect of the same group raising 200 thousand dollars.

squeeze
05-13-2007, 09:57
More pictures of the property.
http://integrityrealtors.massachusetts.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=31031797#

spittinpigeon
05-13-2007, 14:27
Count me in.

Trillium
05-13-2007, 16:19
Count me in.Me too.

My daughter & I did an afternoon hike on 5/31/06. Parked at Greylock Community Club and hiked past that house. Very nice spot.

attroll
05-13-2007, 17:42
I would move to that house and run the hostel if we could all gather enough to purchase it. I tried to do this for Shaw's Boarding House a while back when it was up for sale and could not come up with the dough. So I can not see where we can do it for this one either. But if someone wants to try then go for it.

Ron Haven
05-13-2007, 18:50
Hey Ron I clicked this link and only a blank page came up.:confused: :)Dang Warraghiyagey,I don't know which button I pushed.I had said"if there would be enough hikers passing just to pay the overhead that I might be intrested in purchasing it.I have been considering buying something up in the northeast anyway.I hear hiker lodging is expensive in those parts.If there wasn't an ordanance against it.Just maybe I could change those high price lodging cost there like I did here in Franklin".

:sun

camojack
05-13-2007, 19:32

I was just wondering, that's all. I'm well aware of a certain amount of antipathy towards a number of trail-related organizations, although all of 'em do some good for the trail to one degree or another. That being said, I also wonder if there'd be sufficient interest here to come up with the cost of the house in question.
If so, count me in... :banana

Topcat
05-13-2007, 19:38
how is the economy in that area? any jobs or is it depressed?

spittinpigeon
05-13-2007, 19:42

Isn't it right in the middle of two colleges? Nice place from what I've seen. It's unlikely we'll come up with 190,000 in cash money, someone will have to finance it. If it's still up for sale by the time things straighten up for me, I might be able to do it.

Peaks
05-14-2007, 07:22

From what I hear, after a long time decline, the area is rebounding. The northern Berkshire area is no longer loosing population because mills are closing. Instead, Mass MOCA and colleges is bringing new life into the area.

MarcnNJ
05-14-2007, 09:49
I would guess the highest potential number of thruhikers coming through this area is around 700-800?

attroll
05-14-2007, 13:11
One thing to keep in mind is that the number of thru hikers passing through the area are not going to be the same numbers that hostels see in the south.

MarcnNJ
05-14-2007, 17:12
And, the majority of the thruhikers passing by (northbounders) are in peak condition and have their eyes set on VT, NH, and ME...Looks like a nice yard for a lean-to and fire ring though....If the zoning laws allowed, I think this would be a great spot for a Tom Levardi type of spot, but not a thriving Ms. Janet/Ron Haven type of business......Perhaps shuttles to the awesome grocery store in town, slackpacks to Dalton & Bennington....But not $20 per person for an overnight, inside a bunk rooom in the main house.....This would be suplimental income for most people, not a way to make a living....

I took a day off in North Adams, but just because my hiking partner needed a day off.....Otherwise, VT was screaming my name......

Ron Haven
05-14-2007, 22:16
And, the majority of the thruhikers passing by (northbounders) are in peak condition and have their eyes set on VT, NH, and ME...Looks like a nice yard for a lean-to and fire ring though....If the zoning laws allowed, I think this would be a great spot for a Tom Levardi type of spot, but not a thriving Ms. Janet/Ron Haven type of business......Perhaps shuttles to the awesome grocery store in town, slackpacks to Dalton & Bennington....But not $20 per person for an overnight, inside a bunk rooom in the main house.....This would be suplimental income for most people, not a way to make a living....

I took a day off in North Adams, but just because my hiking partner needed a day off.....Otherwise, VT was screaming my name......I have invested in other state property but not in the New England.Sounds like to make a go with a hiker business you would have to have several things on the side such as a B&B,shuttles,computers and supplies.I own the big commercial Bldg across the Street from Budget Inn.It has entered my mind about starting an outfitter there and open it during Mar thru May.

Roland
05-19-2007, 17:04
Here's a place near the Trail, in Great Barrington (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/19/castle.forsale.ap/index.html), that could have potential.

warraghiyagey
05-20-2007, 02:39
I would move to that house and run the hostel if we could all gather enough to purchase it. I tried to do this for Shaw's Boarding House a while back when it was up for sale and could not come up with the dough. So I can not see where we can do it for this one either. But if someone wants to try then go for it.

Troll would be a great candidate to manage the property. Now if we could organize a mailer to all the WB members to get a little feedback on interest. The whole allure of the building is that the trail goes right down the side of the yard.
If the idea is worth a little thought then it's certainly worth group input as to how to make it happen. Doesn't mean it will but if we aren't going to at least investigate, then as I said before, the point is moot and unworthy of discussion.
With that said, WB house right on the trail. If you're into the concept let's move forward with a meeting of the minds.:) :)
There has to be enough collective thoughtfulness here to come to some type of action.:)

chief
05-20-2007, 11:43
I think Troll is right. If you couldn't generate enough interest in Shaw's (a trail tradition), I seriously doubt some old house in MA will interest anyone enough to write a check. Talk is cheap!

And since when has there been a "collective thoughtfulness" on WB?