PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun..a where would you go question!

DavidNH
05-08-2007, 18:27
Ok.. you got a week (not including transportation time to and from) to backpack on any part of the AT. Assuming you could get to any part of the trail, and assuming you are were not out to burn up the trail with speed, what section would you most like to do?

For me my choices would be

last part of 100 mile wilderness (just plain gorgeous!)
Greyson Highlands (weather was bad when I went through)
Shanendoah National Park (so Beautiful and so easy).

besides that..some day I come hell or high water I got to go back to Baxter and do the Knife Edge!

David

Yahtzee
05-08-2007, 19:59
I love fun!

Gorham to Stratton. Almost everytime.
Erwin to Dennis Cove
Springer to Franklin

Last year, I had a week and did the rocks of PA w/MissDirection. After 4 previous hikes thru the state, I finally came to despise the rocks.

Gorham to Stratton is the goldmine. Everyday a frickin' natural amusement park. And you get to end at the White Wolf. Hopefully, it's karaoke night at the bar across the way.

Marta
05-08-2007, 20:06
The Shenandoahs...because when I went through the food places were closed for the season. I'd love not to have to carry food.

But the 100-Mile Wilderness is great in the summer because the days are so long and there are so many places to swim, and pick blueberries.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Bloodroot
05-08-2007, 20:11
One week?

Maine to Georgia. But I can't do that, just like I can't get a full week off of work to hike anywhere right now.:)

Probably Shanny's depending on the time of the year.

Trail Yeti
05-08-2007, 20:56
100 mile wilderness....or the Whites

Topcat
05-08-2007, 21:00
I think I would do the area around Greyson Highlands....I want to see the balds

rafe
05-08-2007, 21:16
Almost any piece of the AT in Maine. It's all good.

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 04:55
100 mile wilderness . . . mmmm, I can't wait.:)

mudhead
05-09-2007, 08:32
Seems you ought to go take care of that Baxter thing.

I can think of a number of places to hide for a week, but I vote for closest to home with secure parking. NH is preety close to alot of nice...

warraghiyagey
05-09-2007, 08:42
Seems you ought to go take care of that Baxter thing.

I can think of a number of places to hide for a week, but I vote for closest to home with secure parking. NH is preety close to alot of nice...

Definitely, in lieu of the 100 mile I'd take about any stretch in NH. And I will be going to take care of that Baxter thing in T minus 22 days.:) :)

damush
05-09-2007, 11:46
i'd have to encourage anyone to do the high country around mt.rogers and grayson-but avoid summer,the b.s.a's and other youth groups like to mob rhodo gap and wilburn ridge...but if you can catch the bloom,and the comical ponies-awesome.....i kinda prefer the place with cloud cover and misting-looks surreal.

hobbit
05-09-2007, 12:14
mahosics for sure

Kerosene
05-10-2007, 08:32
I may just get an unexpected week off in the near future, but right now I'm committed to finishing the AT. So, if I do get to hike in early June it will be somewhere in North Carolina or Tennessee; probably from Standing Indian to Clingman's Dome (okay, maybe 8-9 days).

JojoSmiley
05-10-2007, 16:23
Anywhere in Maine or NH.