PDA

View Full Version : this summer

ajrl56
05-08-2007, 19:20
Hey guys. This summer (May 15Th i'm leaving) for a 520 mile hike from the shenedoah to bear mountain in new york. I plan on trying to complete this in 28 days or less. I feel that I can do this. Last summer I did my first hike ever from caledonia to rockfish gap in 14 days. THat summer I carried almost a 60 pound bag and weighing in the beginning of the trip at 289 (I was really fat). This summer I am down to 225. My bag will weigh around 35-40 pounds filled up. Any thoughts would be highly helpful.

Marta
05-08-2007, 19:24
Have a great hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 19:45
Hey guys. This summer (May 15Th i'm leaving) for a 520 mile hike from the shenedoah to bear mountain in new york. I plan on trying to complete this in 28 days or less.

That's over 18 miles a day with no zeros or neros. Likely you could do it with a little willpower. But consider:

On a one month hike it would be nice to have a day or two off. You could probably be a little less ambitious regarding the distance and enjoy yourself more. You could always end your hike at the end of 28 days rather than at the end of 520 miles. You would be free to hang out in a shelter on a rainy day or take a day off in town to do nothing but eat and hang out.

Hiking under a schedule takes some of the freedom out of it and the freedom is a very important part of it to me.

That's pretty impressive weight loss, and you'll probably lose a little more weight on the trail.

You'll also be a lot happier with the lighter pack. Just think, you and your pack together weigh lots less than just you alone did a year ago. You'll be more comfortable in the heat and the climbing will be easier. Slow down and enjoy it!

ajrl56
05-08-2007, 19:52
I also thought of reducing it to 450 so I would have less time restraint...any suggestions

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 21:01
I see now you're from Larchmont. You could get off at Delaware Water Gap and cut off 110 miles and that would make it about 410 miles at 14 miles and change a day on average for 28 days. Easy transportation by bus back to NY from there. That way you can take some time to spend the night at the Doyle, at Bear's Den or Blackburn Trail Center, etc.

You could also start at Harper's Ferry and go to to Bear Mountain for about 380 miles.

Baltimore Jack's resupply article is pretty accurate as to average days between different points on the trail and could give you a little guidance.

Yahtzee
05-08-2007, 22:07
I say give it a go, young man. The key is getting an early start. The days are so long, you have plenty of time to do 18 a day. And the terrain in that section is easy as well. You can always modify as you go, but I would think big. What the hell, ya know.

ajrl56
05-09-2007, 08:33
when i stgart won't alot of thru hikers be passing thre this point. I hope to find someone thre hiking on a fast pace so I can meet have some motivation. Also do anyone know of the best places to stop to re supply on this part of the trail?