PDA

View Full Version : I've Joined the Party!

Cuffs
05-08-2007, 19:39
While I used it, I loved my SD Lightning, but I was losing sleep tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. :(

My problem was that I am a side sleeper, but the pressure points that contacted the pad/ground eventually would get numb and I'd have to shift again = lost sleep.

Having met with several "hangers" and questioned them extensively (Thanks Hammock Hanger!) I called Hennessy yesterday and placed my order!
It should be here Thursday or Friday! :banana

Hope to try it out in the back yard and be comfortable by the time I get to TrailDays...? :o

Gosh, I cant believe Im actually going to be part of this crowd!?!?

Just wanted to share my news and joy! Thanks for reading!

FanaticFringer
05-08-2007, 19:56
:welcomeWelcome to the hammock hanging mafia. Every day above ground is a good day.:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2007, 20:29
Oh woe is me, AlHikerGal is a made woman. (http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/godfather/music_intro.mp3)

Cannibal
05-08-2007, 20:32

I'm right there with ya! I've got to wait until next month to order my HH so I'll still be tenting at TD.:( The good news is since I'm driving to TD I'm also bringing my big-comfy air matress:) .

In addition to the lower back relief and weighing less than most solo tents, I love the flexibility of being able to hang almost anywhere. No more looking for a decent tent site!

Frosty
05-08-2007, 22:03
What? No more staking out your tent in the middle of the trail? :D

Cuffs
05-09-2007, 11:08
Frosty: No more midnight deer attacks!

Oh gosh! I have to find a place to stay at TD!!?! any suggestions anyone?

damush
05-09-2007, 11:17
i don't recall that many trees around the park in damascus...HH from telephone and light poles?low-rider style between trailer hitches?hmm....

RiverWarriorPJ
05-09-2007, 11:18
I stay about 4 miles out of town along Laurel creek & bicycle the Creeper in....plenty of sites in that area..& a mostly level ride back in case you stay at DoTs a lil too long..lol..

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 11:19
ALHikerGal, I hear a rumor over on Hammock Forums that there is going to be a hammock area set-up somewhat removed from Tent City.

hammock engineer
05-09-2007, 11:28
That's the rumor I hear too. See you there.

jmcgarrahan
05-09-2007, 11:28
I sleep badly on the trail, if at all. I am really interested in this hammock idea, I think it would be perfect for me. Here's the problem: I am afraid to spend money I don't have, on something I don't need, if it turns out I don't like it. How does one try this out first, or is just an investment you have to make to find out? Here's a silly question can you get a used one to try?

hammock engineer
05-09-2007, 11:33
I sleep badly on the trail, if at all. I am really interested in this hammock idea, I think it would be perfect for me. Here's the problem: I am afraid to spend money I don't have, on something I don't need, if it turns out I don't like it. How does one try this out first, or is just an investment you have to make to find out? Here's a silly question can you get a used one to try?

If you can sew you can make one really easily and cheaply. My homemade one is under $20, but it can be done for less. My entire setup minus insulation is around $100.

If you are going to TD a lot of hammock venders are going to be there. Stop by the group of us and you are welcome to try out my hammock.

Cannibal
05-09-2007, 11:36
How does one try this out first, or is just an investment you have to make to find out? Here's a silly question can you get a used one to try?

Trail Days would be a good place to start. They will have some demos set-up and I'd bet somebody will let you try hanging. Or you could do what I did and buy an inexpensive one just to see if you like the "feeling" of it. It was enough to convert me (20+ years as a tent guy) to a "hanger". Of course, my neighbors all think I'm more wierd than they did last month.:cool:

jmcgarrahan
05-09-2007, 11:37
Unfortunately I won't make trail days. Wish I could but no such luck. And though I have tried I really just can't sew.

SteveJ
05-09-2007, 12:47

REI sells several hammocks, including the Hennessey, and has a no questions asked return policy.....

jmcgarrahan
05-09-2007, 13:01
Ah that may be the way to go, I hear it takes a bit to get used to sleeping in it, but once you do you'll love it. I could set it up in my yard for a few nights and sleep in it, If I don't like it, return it. How much damage could I do in my yard?

cannonball
05-09-2007, 13:20
Another one goes over to the dark side.

Jimmers
05-09-2007, 13:24
How much damage could I do in my yard?

Famous last words. :D Actually, you'll be quite safe there. I have read some funny horror stories from people setting up inside their house though.

Cuffs
05-09-2007, 16:27
Ive just discovered some sad news... I live on a 2 acre homesite. Lots of land. Many trees. Not a dang one (two) of them close enough to hang from!!!!

I seem to recall that the library has some nice trees that might be about the right distance... wonder how theyd feel about that?....

jlb2012
05-09-2007, 16:42
Ive just discovered some sad news... I live on a 2 acre homesite. Lots of land. Many trees. Not a dang one (two) of them close enough to hang from!!!!

try Risk's single pole method: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

Heater
05-09-2007, 16:58

I seem to recall that the library has some nice trees that might be about the right distance... wonder how theyd feel about that?....

Two ten foot posts, three or four bags of concrete... a posthole digger or sharpshooter... Hang where you want to.

FanaticFringer
05-09-2007, 17:34

What is the distance of the closest trees? You could hang from trees over 20 feet apart with the right suspension system such as webbing.

Egads
05-09-2007, 20:03
Hoi,

That looks pretty unstable to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALHiker Gal,
Welcome to the hangers :welcome

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 20:15
Two ten foot posts, three or four bags of concrete... a posthole digger or sharpshooter... Hang where you want to.

I could be wrong, but that seems to defeat the whole lightweight aspect of hammocking.

Nest
05-09-2007, 20:23
I could be wrong, but that seems to defeat the whole lightweight aspect of hammocking.

You could always just use 8 foot poles. It limits your height, but would make it easier to carry.

Jester2000
05-09-2007, 21:13
You could always just use 8 foot poles. It limits your height, but would make it easier to carry.

Hahahahahaha!
Very good!

Natchez
05-10-2007, 01:50
Hanging is so comfy

cannonball
05-10-2007, 06:42
Ah, the darkness of hanging rears its ugly head.

jlb2012
05-10-2007, 07:48
Hoi,

That looks pretty unstable to me.

I have to admit I have never worked up the guts to try it myself but in general I trust Risk's reports. I do however wonder how it would be in windy weather. A small change to the idea however I think would be quite stable - have the free post be an inverted T with side bracing.

Outlaw
05-10-2007, 08:21
I have to admit I have never worked up the guts to try it myself but in general I trust Risk's reports. I do however wonder how it would be in windy weather. A small change to the idea however I think would be quite stable - have the free post be an inverted T with side bracing.

My idea is to join two posts by a single nut & bolt that forms a large upside down V (that would go to the ground) and at the other end (the top) were the bolt would be, would create a smaller V where the hammock support line could be run across. I guess my design would actually create an X except the upper portion is much smaller than the bottom portion. When done, swing the two posts in line and you have an easy to transport setup.

To increase stability, the two bottom ends of the X could be cut at a +/- 30 degree angle, which would give a broader supporting base area.

cannonball
05-10-2007, 13:01
See Hiker Gal.

See Hiker Gal trade her wonderful tent in for an evil hamock.

See Hiker Gal fall into a world of darkness and dispair.

FanaticFringer
05-10-2007, 17:33
See Hiker Gal.

Listen to Cannonball as a mouse crawls up his...........:eek:

Just Jeff
05-10-2007, 18:04
I used to have a tree that was close enough to the other one, but too small to hang a hammock from. So I square-lashed two poles together, and tied Spectra from the X to the bottom of the tree, using a tree hugger. (The tree was strong enough to use as a stake, but not strong enough to hang from.)

Using a strong stake instead of the tree would work, too. Like the big auger stakes that you chain a big dog to. You can buy a setup like this, too.

I used "landscaping posts" from Home Depot...they were about $2 each.

cannonball
05-10-2007, 18:09
Listen to Cannonball as a mouse crawls up his...........:eek:
You make a fine point. That is excactley why I don't sleep in shelters. BTW, just funnin about the darkness of hamocking.:D

RobertM
05-11-2007, 23:48

I happen to be right down the road in Charleston. If you'd like, I could let you try out several hammocks including HH, Clark, Claytor, ENO, Travel Hammock...yeah, I love hammocks. If you're interested, let me know!

Ridgerunner50
05-12-2007, 09:02
For less than $10, you can make a very simple test hammock using Risk's directions. Two items from WallyWorld and your good to go. I have had one set up in my pine trees for the last 2 years. Turn the ballgame on and take a little siesta. They are so easy to make that I bought a kit from Ed Speers and made my own---absolutely love it.

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

http://www.speerhammocks.com/

Heater
05-12-2007, 10:27

No, See, I got that figured out... you carry it all in the hammock. ;)

Cuffs
05-14-2007, 14:04
Situation "temporarily" resolved. While my yard does not have trees worthy of hanging from, my family farm does!

I did a "test run" on Saturday and think I am now sold on the idea.

I wasnt fully prepared to sleep in it, but was just wanting to practice the lashings and get used to crawling in and out... I decided to stay the nite but only had some flannel sheets that I raided from the temp. home at the farm. Except for my feet being cold, I was comfortable! Took a short nap on Sunday in it too.

Now I have to find a place in my yard so that I can "practice" all the cool tips and tricks I am reading about instead of driving up to the farm daily!!!

Thanks for all the kind support and info all of you have given!

Hooch
05-19-2007, 08:28
See Hiker Gal.

See Hiker Gal get a good night's sleep on the trail.

See Hiker Gal laugh at the tenters.

Laugh Hiker Gal, laugh!

Welcome to the Hanging Gang ALHikerGal

Frosty
05-25-2007, 22:23
Frosty: No more midnight deer attacks! The hell with deer. It's those Alabama pigs I'm worried about: :D

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/05/25/673023.html&cvqh=itn_hogzilla

Bigger than Hogzilla!!!!

And it was shot in Delta, less than 10 miles from Cheaha!

take-a-knee
05-28-2007, 01:37
Buy a hammock stand, or place a 4 by 4 in the ground about 14ft from a tree.

msupple
05-31-2007, 09:49
Oh woe is me, AlHikerGal is a made woman. (http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/godfather/music_intro.mp3)

Now that is just about the funniest thing I've read on here!

Miguel

neo
09-12-2007, 11:37
While I used it, I loved my SD Lightning, but I was losing sleep tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. :(

My problem was that I am a side sleeper, but the pressure points that contacted the pad/ground eventually would get numb and I'd have to shift again = lost sleep.

Having met with several "hangers" and questioned them extensively (Thanks Hammock Hanger!) I called Hennessy yesterday and placed my order!
It should be here Thursday or Friday! :banana

Hope to try it out in the back yard and be comfortable by the time I get to TrailDays...? :o

Just wanted to share my news and joy! Thanks for reading!

:sun happiness is hanging in your hammock:cool: neo