PDA

View Full Version : Pack Packing Question

campbell
05-09-2007, 16:22
I have a GG Vapor Trail and I am beginning to pack it for my hike. I can see I may run out of space and I need to attach either my Hubba tent or my Thermarest mat to the outside bottom of the pack at the two provided pack loops. Can someone tell me my best option here?

If I attach the Thermarest to the outside of the pack, I am assuming I will attach it inside the Thermarest stuff sack I purchased for it. If this is not correct, please tell me. I am also assuming the same for the Hubba tent stuff sack.

The good news of the day is, in my humble opinion, my big 4, (pack, tent, sleeping bag, and mat) is just under 10 lbs., which I think is acceptable for my first section hike.

Thanks

spittinpigeon
05-09-2007, 18:01
You could take the mat and line the inside of the pack with it.

mountain squid
05-09-2007, 18:29
I keep my sleeping pad on the outside bottom of my pack. No stuff sack (stuff sack is used for my kitchen stuff).

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
mt squid

Chache
05-09-2007, 19:22
I have the Lid (http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/ultralight_lid/index.html) on mine. I makes it nice to put my Seedhouse2 on top.

rafe
05-09-2007, 19:34
On the Vapor trail you can easily attach the tent to the front of the pack with the two cross-wise compression straps. They seem to be made for that purpose. Works great. I carry my Thermarest inside my pack, as the "liner".

gumball
05-10-2007, 04:53
I carry my sleep pad rolled up, attached vertically to the bag using the compression straps on the front of it (have a women's Vapor Ki). Works fine for me.

Dirtygaiters
07-01-2007, 22:46
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I have the same tent and pack. I pack the Hubba tent and its fly in an XS compression sack (sleeping bag also packs into an XS compression). I put the compressed ball, now smaller than a volleyball, on the bottom of my pack next to my sleeping bag, and stack the rest of my gear on top of that bottom "shelf". The poles and stakes go into the pack's body as well--they take up very little space. I have an Insul Mat inflatable sleeping pad that I use to basically line the inside of the pack, but I used a Thermarest before with this pack and the front compression straps are perfect for a foam pad when rolled up.

The lower "loops" on the Vapor Trail are a bit of a mystery to me. They are of the variety used for ice axes or shovels, but if I tried to hang a tent from them, I'm sure it would be swinging back and forth when I hiked. Hmm...

Let us know if you had any better ideas with this backpack/tent combination.