PDA

View Full Version : Sitting Out A snow Storm

Former Admin
09-27-2002, 00:12
If you had to sit out a storm in a shelter with one of the following, whom would you chose?

Uncle Wayne
09-27-2002, 01:35
I met the Nomad at the Len Foote Hike Inn a couple of years ago. What a class act and such a good cook! Really enjoyed his stories and would love a one on one with him.

highway
09-28-2002, 10:17
How about some female choices?

SGT Rock
09-28-2002, 10:21
Yes, how about "Budwiser Beer Girls Hiking and Hot Tub Team"?

highway
09-28-2002, 10:49
But, I guarantee that will be the time my wife wants to come along! Whatever, I would only just look anyway, but what a look it would be!:D :D :D

Hammock Hanger
09-28-2002, 19:46
I sat and talked with him for awhile at the Springer Mt shelter last New Years Eve. Great down to earth guy. No pretenses. HH

chief
10-13-2002, 23:11
enjoyed hiking with jack.

Peaks
10-14-2002, 07:53
That's a tough call, because each of them has their attributes. I don't think I would mind sitting out a snow storm, or otherwise spending time with all of them. Of course, a good place to get to know most of them is at the Gathering.

But, for those who vote for Baltimore Jack, doesn't his chain smoking bother you in a confined space? (sorry Jack) I'd much rather spend time with him in a well ventilated space, not that most three sided shelters aren't, but could be tough in a closed four sided shelter.

chief
10-14-2002, 09:38
i think you'll find that jack rarely uses shelters.

EarlyRiser
10-14-2002, 15:19
how bout all of the above?

Former Admin
10-14-2002, 20:58
What fun are the polls if you can select all of above:D LOL

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2002, 14:07
Hey Peaks!

1. I avoid shelters like the plague. In 2002, I stayed in 6. 2 of em were in the Smokies where I had no choice, 3 of em were during horrendous weather, and 1 of em was empty.

2. I never smoke IN shelters either when overnighting, or when taking a break, unless I am absolutely sure I'm in the presence of people who I know don't care (i.e., amongst friends, most of whom also smoke).

3. How many 4 sided (i.e. enclosed) shelters are there, anyway? Off the top of my head I can think of only a handful---Apple House, Roan High Knob, Chestnut Knob. etc.

4. Isn't it funny that the same folks who profess to find cigarette smoke objectionable never seem to mind pot smoke, and also, never seem to object to campfires that frequently send billowing black clouds directly into the shelter---yet how many times have you EVER heard anyone object to someone starting a campfire?

5. Back to the first point. While I'm delighted to see a few folks say they wouldn't mind my company for the evening, it simply doesn't happen that often, cuz I simply don't stay in shelters unless I have to. I urge others to do likewise, unless they PLANNED on spending half of their trip camping in a box.

chris
11-13-2002, 15:18
Jack, perhaps your known affinity for Jim Beam is a prime reason why people would like to sit out a snow storm with you, eh?

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2002, 17:33
Chris---I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Then again, you may have a point there.

EarlyRiser
11-13-2002, 18:17
I agree with Jack, i dont think id want to stay in a shelter unless i had too. for me the experaince is of being completely independant, not relying on a shelter built by others hands. ive only ever stayed in a shelter twice and it wasnt my choice, although i did enjoy the experaince id rather sleep with the sky over my head, not a roof.

Waterbuffalo
01-10-2003, 10:51
I wanna stay with WF so I can use my buttplug and PDA while I talk on my cell phone and shoot deer with my Glock 22 and Have a Big Bowl !:D

Stardust Walking
02-08-2004, 20:30
I know all of these gentleman, except wingfoot, Baltimore would be the most

fun to be stuck in a shelter with.:datz

Lone Wolf
02-08-2004, 20:43
Ward. He's the only sane one in the group. And can out-hike any one of them.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2004, 20:47
Dunno about the sanity thing, but Ward could out-hike the rest of this group, COMBINED. Especially me.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2004, 20:53
Ain't you faster now that your pack is down to 50lbs. and you use Lekis?

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2004, 21:08
In that I spent this winter somehow managing to become significantly heftier than even you, Wolf, at present I ain't faster than anybody. Cuttin' twenty outta the Osprey is only effective if you aren't adding thirty to your ass at the same time. If I were you, I'd seriously consider buying some stock from the Rolling Rock people as I've helped give them a pretty tasty fiscal year. As for out-doing Ward or anyone else, if I tried hiking right now, I'd get dusted by Rosie O'Donnell, Rush Limbaugh, Oprah, and Karl Rove. Hell, I'd have trouble gettin' away from Ted Kennedy, Michael Moore, or Al Sharpton.

Gee, isn't it GREAT that none of the above-mentioned folks, excepting Wolf, wil be on the Trail this year?

Lone Wolf
02-08-2004, 21:14
I don't know dude. My ass has been a daily fixture at Dot's drinkin that Mich Ultra stuff. It don't work. I look like I'm ready to calve twins but me and Gecko will be at Springer (maybe Pirate and Wee Willie too), to start "The 2004 Fat Bastards Tour". :D

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2004, 21:32
I'd happily join you, but I think even you corpulent geriatrics would leave me in the dust. No kidding, if I tried to do Mahoosuc Notch right now, I'd have to send someone ahead and Crisco some of the rocks. Lemme tell ya, the winter downtime is a rough one....you know you ain't trail-fit when you nick yourself shaving and GRAVY comes out.

Gotta run, time for the 8:30 cheesecake fix. See you fat rascals in Hot Springs, assuming you all make it that far. Oh, and I must say it's a surprise to hear about your continued dalliance with the occasional malted beverage; from the tone of some of your more colorful recent posts, one would've thought you'd sworn the stuff off.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2004, 21:41
You kiddin? I'm s**tfaced half the time I'm posting. *** is CORPULENT? Gonna have to look it up.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2004, 22:02
Skip the dictionary......you can save time and trouble by getting naked and finding a full-length mirror. Regards!!

A-Train
02-08-2004, 22:52
Think I just saw pigs flying out my window...

weary
02-08-2004, 23:17
Ward. He's the only sane one in the group. And can out-hike any one of them.

When I hiked Maine with a 9-year-old grandson in 1991, Ward was seeking an endurance record. He had left Georgia in January, walked to Maine, and then back to Georgia. I met him on the way to Katahdin the second time and again a few days later as he headed back south.

My grandson had difficulty learning to read, so he got his information by asking questions. No one escaped his scrutiny -- not even Ward, who had a reputation for being less than friendly with lesser hikers.

Anyway, as he passed us on the way south, I asked if he thought he could make it all the way to Georgia. "I don't know," he said as he walked away, "I've got financial and emotional problems."

Then he turned around and demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yup," I said.

"Good," Ward replied. "He's the first person I've met on this trail, who's bright enough for me to talk to."

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 00:06
But, I guarantee that will be the time my wife wants to come along! Whatever, I would only just look anyway, but what a look it would be!:D :D

:D
I got yas' on that one Hiway! Certainly could do a look or 2!..KZ@

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 00:10
I wanna stay with WF so I can use my buttplug and PDA while I talk on my cell phone and shoot deer with my Glock 22 and Have a Big Bowl !:D
Ha....Ha....Ha....Ha.....Ha.....Ha.....H.a.....!!! !!!Great Stuff....KZ@

neo
12-04-2004, 10:22
i agree with highway,how about some female choices,:jump

Rocalousas
12-04-2004, 13:45
With the hiking princess everyone's been talking about on that other thread. But we wouldn't be sitting, not all the time anyway. :D

Ridge
12-06-2004, 03:10
How bout a choice of "None of Them"

The Solemates
12-06-2004, 10:50
Why sit it out? Hike on!

Ridge
12-07-2004, 07:10
Hiking in snow is great. The weekender I just completed in GSMNP without cleats was rough. Iced up trails are dangerous as heck, give me snow anyday.

walkin' wally
12-07-2004, 19:37
Okay Neo, a female choice: SHANIA TWAIN :sun ( with guitar )
She's from Ontario so she knows about snowstorms.

Brushy Sage
12-07-2004, 22:21
Skip the dictionary......you can save time and trouble by getting naked and finding a full-length mirror. Regards!!

Jack, where are you? I'm missing your posts!

B Thrash
04-18-2005, 20:40
I met the Nomad at the Len Foote Hike Inn a couple of years ago. What a class act and such a good cook! Really enjoyed his stories and would love a one on one with him.

I read Nomad's book while waiting out a hurricane at Lost Mountain Retreat in MA a couple of years ago, then got to meet him at the Alabama Hiking Trail get togeather at Tanner Hill State Park near Birmingham last year, this man is a trip along with many talents, he is my choise.

Rigormortis :clap

hauptman
04-18-2005, 21:25
I also say you should add some female options. I say ya send an all female hiker in a snowstorm poll to playboy. Get some good responses there I bet!!!
lol!!!

Turbo Joe
04-18-2005, 21:32
i have yet to meet any of them yet however i am currently going nobo and already had to sit out a snow storm in brown fork shelter (now remaned the chilly willy inn) and Jake, trip, chuck, break-a-leg, and cuppa joe were all the company i needed. trail legends are alright but stranger usually have unheard of tales

neo
04-18-2005, 21:34
How about some female choices?
yeah,i agree with ya highway.i prefer females choices:cool: neo

icemanat95
06-10-2005, 15:06
That one's not even hard.

I've known Jack since he and I were just novice hikers on the AT in 1995. It's always good to catch up with Jack.

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 16:03
Just found this thread by accident.......pretty damned funny, even after several years in cold storage.

Hell, even Chief said he enjoyed hiking with me, tho he's evidently changed his mind. :D

Anyone want to add something new?

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 16:25
I know Jack. I only know the others by reputation. My only concern would be how would Jack deal with being cooped up with others now that he's GIVING UP smoking. :eek:

Hope it's still going well Jack.:clap

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 16:29
One hundred days on the 25th of this month.

It has not made me a nicer person, especially in the morning. :D

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 16:38
One hundred days on the 25th of this month.

Congratulations. I remember how hard it was for SO many friends.

It has not made me a nicer person, especially in the morning. :D

As I said, I can believe it. Maybe getting back out for a long section would take off some of the edge. :-? Best of luck!

CrumbSnatcher
01-19-2008, 17:08
jack if you promise not to take my boots, and please...leave me a swig of my own beam. your company is always welcome in my camp

Javasanctum
01-19-2008, 17:19

How come HikerChick isn't one of the choices?:rolleyes:

WILLIAM HAYES
01-19-2008, 18:31
none of them I enjoy my own company

Jim Adams
01-20-2008, 03:24
congrats on the smoking Jack!!!!!!!!

geek

riga
01-20-2008, 10:45
Isn't it funny that the same folks who profess to find cigarette smoke objectionable never seem to mind pot smoke, and also, never seem to object to campfires

Different scents, different reactions. I can't stand cigarette smoke, and I can pick it up dozens of feet away. Second hand pot smoke gives me long-term (into the next day) headaches. But I don't have a problem smelling (good quality) cigar smoke or cloves. Go figure.

HIKER7s
01-20-2008, 13:46
I don't know dude. My ass has been a daily fixture at Dot's drinkin that Mich Ultra stuff. It don't work. I look like I'm ready to calve twins but me and Gecko will be at Springer (maybe Pirate and Wee Willie too), to start "The 2004 Fat Bastards Tour". :D

Why 2004?

ed bell
01-20-2008, 13:58
Why 2004?He posted that on Feb. 8th, 2004.

cowboy nichols
01-20-2008, 14:07
I've got to start looking at the beginning date of posts but my vote stays the same Congrats on quitting Jack I did several years ago it sure makes the mountains seem shorter LOL

Bob S
01-20-2008, 14:52
I didn’t see Eva Longoria’s name on that poll. Can I make her a write in vote? :)

earlyriser26
01-20-2008, 15:04
I thought Wingfoot was on the list:-?

Blissful
01-21-2008, 20:08
If he was alive, Ed Garvey by far.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-21-2008, 20:35
i met jack several times on the trail and stayed at his place in 2005. he is an awesome person and a real asset to the trail. only other person on the list i've met is doyle and he didn't really impress me.

Kirby
01-21-2008, 21:05
I've only met Jack, nice guy.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 21:08
Jack's a wonderful guy, but we would probably end up talking politics and killing each other :D so I'm going with Nimblewill Nomad. We could discuss gear design for days.

warraghiyagey
01-21-2008, 21:23
Yes, I also vote for Angelina!!! . . . What? Nobody voted for her yet? . . . Oh..:o:o

Stardust Walking
02-28-2008, 20:23
Hey CrumbSnatcher, It's been awhile! I tripped across this post just poking around and
just had to say hello;').
I guess Voyager and I have been away from hiking to long. I'm working on some film projects and just have not had much free time.

I see that you have a little one, congrats! Hope all is well with you.

Stardust Walking

A-Train
02-28-2008, 23:22
Speaking of "legends"...

Geez, a couple guys get together at the Doyel, LoneWolf looks after Rock for a day, and a few people go to Springer to start their hikes...

and you can hear a pin drop around here today!

Something wild goin' on over in politics or something?

Pennsylvania Rose
02-29-2008, 13:08
I actually did sit out a storm in TriCorner Knob shelter with Wingfoot, years ago. I enjoyed talking to him. I was present when my hiking partner was on the receiving end of a rant from Ward - twice. Really don't want to repeat that experience. I'll have to vote for Warren Doyle, Baltimore Jack, and Nimblewell Nomad since I've never met any of them, and would love to pick all of their brains.

wakapak
02-29-2008, 18:45
Hey CrumbSnatcher, It's been awhile! I tripped across this post just poking around and
just had to say hello;').
I guess Voyager and I have been away from hiking to long. I'm working on some film projects and just have not had much free time.

I see that you have a little one, congrats! Hope all is well with you.

Stardust Walking

Hey Stardust Walking!! Wow!! It's been quite awhile since I've seen your name, but good to see it!! Good luck with the film projects!! :)
Wak

The Solemates
02-29-2008, 19:46
None. I'd go hiking. Why should snow stop me?

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-01-2008, 01:33
Stifler's Mom!!!

Heater
03-01-2008, 06:26
I like bacon.

DavidNH
03-01-2008, 11:21
To this question I answered Nimbleweed Nomad. He hiked from Key West all the way to Gaspe. I figured.. with the extra mileage and extra trails he would be real entertaining to be with.

where I just wanting to be educated and hear stories about the AT then I'd go with Jack as he is a walking encyclopedia.

For the matter antimatter ultimate conflict.. probably Jack and Warren. But such a conflict might push me OUT into the snow where it is so peaceful.

It would also be most interesting to bring Grandma Gatewood back and hear the stories of her three trips.

David

Stardust Walking
03-05-2008, 00:04
WOW.., Wakapak!

How is it going?? I hope the mice are staying away;').

I guess I'll have to make more time for whiteblazing.

I would love to get to traildays this year but I'll be filming Drive-In Theaters all year again and working on a few shorts.

Gads I miss the AT!

Stardust