PDA

View Full Version : Southbound AT sleeping bag questions!

Jonesy
05-10-2007, 00:54
Hello everyone! :sun I'm new to the forum but have been doing a good amount of planning and preparing for my southbound thru-hike. My tentative ETA in Maine is mid June.

I think I could use a little help from people more experienced as I'm kind of new to long distance backpacking. I also am on somewhat of a budget where I like to be thrifty but not cheap. I also am not a great sower and will not be making any gear yet but would like to make a quilt sometime in the future (after this hike)!

My sleeping system will consist of my Summit to Sea thermoreactor bag liner (warms up to an additional 8 deg. cel or 15 deg. f $35 on ebay, 9.3 oz.), a pair of Patagonia capilene long johns (6.5 oz, $12) for bottoms when cold warrants it and one pair of altletic boxers for the summer (1.5 oz). For the top I have a lightweight Patagonia Wool 2 capilene zip l.s. shirt (6.4 oz, <$40). I also have a Craft L1 short sleeve thermo which is form fitting and puts out some serious heat for it's packability and weight (4.9 oz) but I get stinky quick in it! Jury is still out although it's a nice piece of kit as some would say.

I will also be able to utilize the clothes I plan on bringing allowing me to use a higher rated bag (I think). I have a lightweight pair of wind/rain pants (5.7 oz, free). Right now I own a Patagonia micro puff synthetic vest (7.4 oz, $24) and an uberlite Columbia microfleece (6.9 oz, $15). I'm thinking of leaving the micro puff at home and getting a Montbell U.L. thermawwrap jacket (8oz, $80 if I can fit into a small, $120 otherwise :eek: ) for more versatility and use an ultralight thin wool vest instead of the micropuff. I think I should purchase a silkweight balaclava (1-2 oz.?). I will also be bringing a suitable hat for cool windy weather/nights (1.5-3 oz?). Last resort would be my Outdoor Research Ion wind/rain jacket (3.5 oz?, it's in the mail, $60).

My tent is the first verson Squall tarptent (28 oz or so) and my groud pad is a lightweight blue pad as of now. Will probably modify it a bit later (<7 oz).

Now on to the main component of my system which I am at a bit of a crossroads. I'm thinking of getting one good bag with a full zip rated to around 30-40f or possibly two bags. For example: Kelty stratus for the beginning/end of the trip and sportsman guide ultralight bag for the summer part of my hike.

Here are my choices I'm consdering (thanks for reading this far :cool: o' helpful wise whiteblazers) and please feel free to debate/add recommendations.

sleeping bag considerations as of right now:

Marmot Arrete (1lb, ?oz and willing spend up to $165 incl shipping 40f)
Exped Wallcreeper (2lbs 3 oz?, 30f on sale for $180) probaby won't buy this but thought I should include it)
Lafuma 07 600 or 650 extrem series syn. bags (45f, $40-60 or so)
Lafuma 07 warm n' light 600 down bag (40f, $90-$100)
Kelty Status 35 deg. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=334610 (a bit heavy though 2lbs 3 oz, $50)
Sportsmanguide Ultralight ($25, 50f, 1lb 5oz?)Thanks for any help. I'm obviously torn between getting a mediocre to high quality down bag, using a light synthetic bag or using a two bag system for different seasons/climates i.e. the stratus/sportsman ultralight in consideration to my tent/pad/clothes/bag liner/budget.

Sorry for the haphazard post! Gear list will hopefully be ready in a week or two. :p

Cheers,
Jonesy

spittinpigeon
05-10-2007, 01:10
By the time you need all that warm stuff, you'll have a really good idea what you need. As far as rain pants, leave them at home, even in the winter, gaitors are a good substitute in the snow.

Jonesy
05-10-2007, 01:44
Thanks for the reply. The thing is there not actually rain pants but more of wind pants/camp pant that weighs only 5.4 oz. They wet out with anything more than a light drizzle but dry ridiculously quick and have zips at the bottom too. In a pinch they will fit over thermals or even long pants and I can wear them in a laundromat while washing other clothes.

Henceforth, I will probably end up bringing them. The other gear isn't really cold weather gear in general but gear I plan on bringing the whole hike. It will be easier to read through once I make a makeshift gear list.

Main thing I'm interested in is on figuring out a bag choice asap. I don't own a pair of gaitors yet. I'm considering them though.

Cheers~

spittinpigeon
05-10-2007, 11:15
You said you want the same bag for the beginning and the end, but you're starting in June, that's summer. I just did a sobo leaving on June 28th, I was fine with a light bag, a fleece, rainjacket and windpants. I ended up using the rainjacket just for warmth and wind protection, it was warm enough just to hike in downpours without it.
What you've described already sounds like you're going to have a heavy pack. You won't be sleeping on top of Katahdin, all those extra layers won't be necessary.

Jonesy
05-10-2007, 18:32
True, it's hard for me to tell without having a spreadsheet of a gear list yet. I plan on having a base pack weight of around 12 lbs not including food, water and fuel. Seems reasonable enough..:-?

I'm leaning towards the Marmot Arete vs. the Marmot Trails. Is a down bag gonna get thrashed on the AT? I don't plan on sleeping in shelters unless I have too.

Cheers,
J~

spittinpigeon
05-10-2007, 19:14
Just keep it water tight, I had mine in a compression sack, then two plastic bags.

hammock engineer
05-10-2007, 21:33
Am I right in thinking that the average lows for a SOBO is around 50 deg until the whites?

I am thinking of planning for 50 until the whites, add my cold weather gear for the whites, and then go back to my 50 deg setup until the fall. I should add that with my 50 degree setup I can make it below freezing if needed and still be comfortable.

Appalachian Tater
05-10-2007, 21:38
Do not hike in the mountains with a Marmot Trails even during the summer. Get an Atom or an Arete, but the Trails leaves you very vulnerable to cool weather. Even with a silk liner, wearing all your clothes, you may be uncomfortable.

spittinpigeon
05-11-2007, 11:40
Do not hike in the mountains with a Marmot Trails even during the summer. Get an Atom or an Arete, but the Trails leaves you very vulnerable to cool weather. Even with a silk liner, wearing all your clothes, you may be uncomfortable.

Screw that, just don't hike in the mountains period.

Jonesy
05-15-2007, 19:33
Agreed, did I say Trails? I meant Atom ;)

Ok,

A little update. Bag's I'm considering purchasing:

Montbell S.S. UL downbag #2 or the #5. Depending on the deal I can get.
Marmot Atom, Fanatic Fringe Polarguard 30' quilt. <= bulkier...yet more versatile?

Packs I'm considering purchasing asap:

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus

Any other recommendations? Appalachian Tater: Thanks for dropping in. Upon further review it would be silly to have just that bag unless I had Montbell thermawrap pants and jacket or something.

Well I've been doing a lot of shakedown night hikes/camping out. 9 miles starting in the rain on Saturday. 12 miles yesterday. Did I mention I'm out of shape? :P

Cheers all,
Michael

Marta
05-15-2007, 21:27
I used a Mariposa Plus for 2/3 of my hike. When I switched into heavier winter gear, I went to a heavier pack (Gregory G), too, because the load was closer to 30 pounds than to 20, and the Mariposa is pretty strained at the weight. I like the Mariposa a lot for loads under 25 pounds.

Marta/Five-Leaf

huck
05-15-2007, 22:33
They are very light and if it drops to a very cold night ,break it out .Did i mention cheap!:D

Good luck and God bless

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1050&memberId=12500226

Chache
05-15-2007, 23:08
They are very light and if it drops to a very cold night ,break it out .Did i mention cheap!:D

Good luck and God bless

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1050&memberId=12500226
i have been carrying one of these for years but never used it. I always meant to try it out one night but never did. Have you or anyone tried it out. What kind of temps do you think it would be good to if all you had was a lite coat.

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2007, 14:03
Agreed, did I say Trails? I meant Atom ;)

Ok,

A little update. Bag's I'm considering purchasing:

Montbell S.S. UL downbag #2 or the #5. Depending on the deal I can get.
Marmot Atom, Fanatic Fringe Polarguard 30' quilt. <= bulkier...yet more versatile?

? Appalachian Tater: Thanks for dropping in. Upon further review it would be silly to have just that bag unless I had Montbell thermawrap pants and jacket or something.

Yeah, it would be silly and I can speak from experience. Bought a Marmot Trails in Harper's Ferry where I dumped the rest of my winter gear. Granted, I had been hot some nights in my winter bag, and was comfortable many nights in my Trails, but there was one night where I was so cold I was fully clothed, in my Trails, WRAPPED UP in my TarpTent sleeping in a shelter and still so cold I couldn't sleep. Seemed like a good idea at the time.....

Just spent a couple of nights out in a new Atom, lows around 50, slept just a little on the warm side.

Have fun on the shakedowns.