PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the MSR Reactor?

RockStar
05-10-2007, 04:08
Its suppose to be for sale May 20th. Anyone gonna try it? :-? Im curious to read reviews.

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/reactor.htm

Kerosene
05-10-2007, 08:51
So far, a lot of hype and weak on the specifics. I'll wait for more info, and even then I doubt that it's a product I need for 3-season solo backpacking.

RedneckRye
05-10-2007, 09:06
I saw a prototype version at the Outdoor Retailer show last August, looked pretty cool. Not the lightest or cheapest stove ever, but those don't seem to be the targets that MSR is shooting at.
I think the May 20 date is probably optimistic. We received a letter from MSR last week that they are a bit behind schedule, again, and the stove is in its final test phases. This is the 3rd or 4th time they have pushed the date back.
Also, they were going to introduce a no-pump no-prime liquid fuel stove last year. I saw demo versions of it, and they scrapped it at the last minute.

Krewzer
05-10-2007, 09:12
I'm still an alcohol guy, but like the simplicity and convenience of canister stoves. This one looks a bit heavy for me. Also expensive.
www.msrcorp.com/rock_ice_reactor.pdf

Mags
05-10-2007, 10:30
Looks to be MSR's answer to the Jet Boil. *SHRUG* Some people like it, some don't.

The first reviews have been glorified ads. I'll see what happens when the product is out for the end consumer.

rafe
05-10-2007, 19:58
I saw a prototype version at the Outdoor Retailer show last August, looked pretty cool. Not the lightest or cheapest stove ever, but those don't seem to be the targets that MSR is shooting at.

It's MSR we're talking about, right? Lightweight has never been their long suit.

Baum Trigger
05-10-2007, 23:56
It's MSR we're talking about, right? Lightweight has never been their long suit.

Pocket Rocket is 3 oz., not as light as alchy stove, but still a good stove. I saw the Reactor first hand about 3 weeks ago when my Cascade Designs sales rep stopped by. Pretty much a jet boil with MSR logos. Waste of money IMO.

rafe
05-11-2007, 00:16
Pocket Rocket is 3 oz., not as light as alchy stove, but still a good stove.

The "equivalent" units from other vendors are all within half an ounce of the PR. It's just a burner unit, after all.

I've used MSR gear for roughly two decades now, and it's mostly great stuff. But "light weight" is way down on their list of design priorities. Their water filters are heavy, and their tents are heavy for the space they provide.

My Whisperlite has never let me down, nor have my MSR water filters. (Plural on the latter only because I lost the first one.)

RockStar
05-11-2007, 00:39
Pocket Rocket is 3 oz., not as light as alchy stove, but still a good stove. I saw the Reactor first hand about 3 weeks ago when my Cascade Designs sales rep stopped by. Pretty much a jet boil with MSR logos. Waste of money IMO.

I saw the comparison on the link above somewhere and it seemed to outpreform the Jetboil. I too use an Alchy stove but, Always consider converting for the right unit. ;)

Nightwalker
05-11-2007, 15:30
I've used MSR gear for roughly two decades now, and it's mostly great stuff. But "light weight" is way down on their list of design priorities. Their water filters are heavy, and their tents are heavy for the space they provide.

I gave the MSR guy my Pocket Rocket to be repaired last year at TDz. When I asked why they used aluminum threads instead of brass inserta like everyone else, he said it was the weight difference. That'd be what, maybe half a gram? My guess would've been "cheap", but that's just me.

Chache
05-11-2007, 15:59
I think it would be good for hiking with 4 guys like i mostly do.

rafe
05-11-2007, 16:41
I think it would be good for hiking with 4 guys like i mostly do.

Nah, if you're hiking in a group, bring a Whisperlite.

jrwiesz
05-12-2007, 00:09
Nah, if you're hiking in a group, bring a Whisperlite.

Or the Jetboil Group Cooking System.

Nightwalker
05-12-2007, 00:46
Or the Jetboil Group Cooking System.

With the GCS pot and a Pocket Rocket, I can boil water in less than 90 seconds on a Spring day. I've never gotten sub-90 out of the JB PCS, no matter what I tried.