PDA

View Full Version : International Appalachian Trail

whykickamoocow
05-10-2007, 06:15
Has anyone else given some thought to extending beyond the northern terminus of the AT and instead finishing at Cape Caspe. The idea of ending up at the sea really appeals to me, and from the northern terminus of the AT to Cape Caspe is only another 700 miles. If I make it that far north I would imagine I would be in great hiking shape, so why not take advantage of my fitness and add the International Appalachian Trail to the cv.

Never been to Canada, in fact I have never left Australia before, the IAT just has an appeal to me. Obviously the path is not as well marked, and does not have the trail magic and all the extras that come along with the AT and its special sub culture, but from what little I have read it still has its own charms the IAT. I am sure as the years go on and it becomes more organised it will begin to become more popular. Might be a good contrast from the AT to the more tranquil and quieter IAT.

Well I'm certainly giving it some serious thought to add the IAT to my itenary in 2008.

Cannibal
05-10-2007, 08:32
I might see you there. Since I live in Florida, I'm going to do the Florida Scenic Trail first (mostly to get rid of this tire around my waist) and connect to the AT. I'm not starting in Key West as I don't care to walk accross bridges with no walkway on the ONLY highway in or out of the keys. Depending on when/if I finish, I have every intention to continue walking, at least until the water's edge. All depends on weather for me.

On bad thing: Most of what I've read about the northern "IAT" says that large stretches of it is road walking. That doesn't appeal to me very much.

Lyle
05-10-2007, 10:43
"On bad thing: Most of what I've read about the northern "IAT" says that large stretches of it is road walking. That doesn't appeal to me very much."

Road walking isn't all bad, it is different, and takes a different mind set. Can be very enjoyable - similar to what I would expect from a bike trip. You meet more locals, and you may be surprised at the amount of trail magic you will receive.

Cannibal
05-10-2007, 10:55
Don't knock it till you try it, huh? That's a valid point and I don't know what kind of roads they are. Lightly traveled roads could be OK. I just think it would be a difficult transition after spending 5 or 6 months in "the woods".

I'll give you a report sometime late 08, assuming I make it.

JojoSmiley
05-10-2007, 16:16
there are a few journals on trailjournals of hiking the IAT. Check them out. One of them is mine but I started in Key West so walking the roads in Canada were tranquil compared to the Keys.

DavidNH
05-10-2007, 18:17
I had pondered a lot originally about hiking all the way to cap gaspe. But the extra 700 or so miles would have meant having to get to Baxter by end of August which for me was just not gonna happen.

Also..based on my reading.. the IAT has most of its road walking in Maine. Once in Quebec it goes through one of the wildest portions of the east!
Also..Maine has been dragging its feet in terms of trail construction, shelters funding and such. The progress has been mostly in Canada.

David

Jester2000
05-10-2007, 18:21
I know someone who flipped up to Cape Gaspe from Harpers and Southbounded. This solved the problem of pace and weather, but made Katahdin just another one of the mountains you cross rather than a Terminus. Something to think about, though.

Nest
05-10-2007, 20:02
I've been considering the IAT. I hike fast, and am afriand I will finish the AT too early to want to come home. I assume a passport is needed for this correct? I won't lan on doing the IAT. I will get a passport if it will be required though. That way if when I get to Baxter and I still have plenty of time and want to go on, I will. The whole theme of my hike is plan as little as possible.

Frosty
05-10-2007, 21:18
I've been considering the IAT. I hike fast, and am afriand I will finish the AT too early to want to come home. I assume a passport is needed for this correct? I won't lan on doing the IAT. I will get a passport if it will be required though. Right now you need a passport to fly into Canada (or into the US from Canada). No passport required if entering by land or sea, but you do need ID (drivers license will do).

Starting Jan 1, 2008 passports will be required to enter Canada (and Mexico) or enter the US from Canada or Mexico, no matter how you get in. So, yeah, if you think you might want to do the IAT, head down to your local post office and get a passport application.

Nest
05-10-2007, 22:24
Thanks Frosty.

Well, if I o through all of the trouble to get a passport, all the more reason to hike on up to Canada.

whykickamoocow
05-11-2007, 00:20
there are a few journals on trailjournals of hiking the IAT. Check them out. One of them is mine but I started in Key West so walking the roads in Canada were tranquil compared to the Keys.

To JojoSmiley, I was wondering if you could offer some of us IAT hopefulls some advice.

I'll be starting my AT in mid-march, and am only planning on getting a trailguide book, and no maps.

Is there a similar publication for the IAT?
Would I require maps for the IAT, how well blazed is it?
Do the trails pass thru the towns, or is it a case of hitch hiking into them as is the case on the AT?
Im not going to do much planning for the AT other than get my equipment worked out and other obvious details, but once that is taken care of, just a matter of walking north and relying on towns for resupply. Can a similar approach be taken to the IAT or does it require more planning?

Is there any other wisdom you can impart upon us.

trailfoot
05-11-2007, 11:16
Here is the IAT's web site: http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index

another link: http://www.sia-iat.com/

and one more: http://www.iatnl.ca/

serenityrich
05-11-2007, 13:04
I have been strongly leaning toward doing the AT / IAT but starting in Alabama around mid-January on the Pinhoti Trail. Hope to see you all next year.

serenityrich
05-11-2007, 13:15
For anyone interested in the Pinhoti Trail / BMT connection to the AT, these are the sites I've used to fule my dreams. Let's see if I can do this right, I've never tried to post a link before.
Alabama Pinhoti Trail: http://www.hmtc.org/sitemap.html
Georgia Pinhoti Trail:
http://www.georgiapinhoti.org/trail_guide.html
Benton MacKaye Trail:
http://www.bmta.org/FreeDownloads.htm

Old Grouse
05-11-2007, 15:01
How the heck do you resupply in Newfoundland? Sealfin pie washed down with screech, I guess.

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 15:16
I don't know what "screech" is, but I got talked into trying Fried Cod Tongue there once. I can't really think of anything good to say about it. Except maybe when they took it away from the table!

Old Grouse
05-11-2007, 15:23
Screech = Newfoundland rum. http://www.screechrum.com/home.asp

You first!

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 15:28
After approx. 3200 miles, I bet it is the sweetest rum you'll ever taste. They have to have something to get the Cod Tongue taste our of your mouth!

Frosty
05-11-2007, 16:45
If you want some great maps of the Pinhoti Trail, check out Mr. Parkay's maps:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80

(Click on each map to open it full size before downloading, and you will get awesome resolution. They are about 1.5 meg each.

Paay attention to Solo's databook on the hmtc site. When he says there is no water in the first 14.7 miles, he is absolutely right. I hiked the southern half of the trail last March, hope to do the northern half this fall after the Gathering.

If you want his water sources in spreadsheet format, shoot me an email or PM. I have all the reliable water sources (and many road crossings) listed in a mileage chart.

For anyone interested in the Pinhoti Trail / BMT connection to the AT, these are the sites I've used to fule my dreams. Let's see if I can do this right, I've never tried to post a link before.
Georgia Pinhoti Trail:
Benton MacKaye Trail:

serenityrich
05-11-2007, 20:45
Thank you Frosty. I came accross Mr. Parkay's site and then lost it. This time I have it bookmarked.
Rich

Trailers
05-11-2007, 22:36
it always makes me smile to think about 95% of americans dont have passports!

Frosty
05-11-2007, 23:04
it always makes me smile to think about 95% of americans dont have passports!We don't need passports the way you do. I can get into my car right now and drive southwest for about 3500 miles and never leave the country, but you can't travel 200 miles in any direction without leaving the country.

If we needed passports to travel between states (you must know that the UK is about the size of Colorado), then everyone in the US would have them.

Plus, there is so much to see in this country, with such diversity of geography, there isn't the driving need to get out of the country just to see something different as there is in the UK.

Trailers
05-12-2007, 06:14
wow...it took 28 minutes!!!

i got in from the pub a little tipsy and saw a discussion including passports and being that i've heard that exact cliched argument about 50 times while i lived in america. so i did an experiment to see how long it would take to get that exact response.:-?

Lyle
05-12-2007, 10:43
So Trailers,

What is YOUR explaination?

What Frosty and apparently the other 50 US citizens said makes sence to me, but tell us, what do you think?

Frosty
05-12-2007, 14:28
wow...it took 28 minutes!!!

i got in from the pub a little tipsy and saw a discussion including passports and being that i've heard that exact cliched argument about 50 times while i lived in america. so i did an experiment to see how long it would take to get that exact response.:-?Are you still tipsy? I don't understand what you are trying to say. What is your point? What argument, for that matter?

It isn't an argument that most Americans don't need passports if they don't leave the country. Why would they?

I have a passport, but I only got one when I needed it. Why is it a cliched argument if I didn't shell out the money for a passport when I didn't need it?

I expect that more Americans along the Canadian/Mexican borders will get passports in 2008, when passports will be required to cross those two border, but if you don't need one, why get one? Why does that make you smile?

Re-reading your original message just now, and the second one, I think I detect an air of forced smugness. Are you trying to feel superior because you have a passport? Sheesh. Why? Do you have a small wee-wee, and are trying to compensate for that lack?

Fine, I guess ... if it makes you feel better. But the fact is as I said: there are geographical reasons why people in a tiny country would tend to be more likely to have a passport than people in a huge country.

Trailers
05-12-2007, 16:49
well the statistic is really a metaphor for the ignorance of the majority of 300 million people.

there are other countries that i have lived in that have a greater ignorance such as japan and well ... romania.

hammock engineer
05-13-2007, 00:35
well the statistic is really a metaphor for the ignorance of the majority of 300 million people.

there are other countries that i have lived in that have a greater ignorance such as japan and well ... romania.

Maybe the ignorance is blindly grouping people you have not met together and thinking they all fit some sterotype.

BTW, if you do not like us so much why do you hang around hiking forums centered around the US?

Lyle
05-13-2007, 00:39
Hey everyone,

Read Trailers profile and you will see his motive. He apparently enjoys yanking people's chain.

weary
05-13-2007, 10:21
Hey everyone,....He apparently enjoys yanking people's chain.
Someone should tell him that he is not very good at it, unless his aim is to make himself look silly.

Frosty
05-13-2007, 12:41
Well, that was fun and inspirational.

To get this thread back on topic, has anyone acquired any of the guides/maps for the IAT?

whykickamoocow
05-13-2007, 21:42
Hey guys if you want to blow smoke up each others rear ends then go do it on another thread. Some of us are really passionate about doing the IAT, and want to find out as much information about it as we can.

Thanks to all those that have given some great advice thus far on the IAT.

I did not realise that there was so many people interested in doing it. I think it is something I am really going to do now. I wonder if there is some type of trail guide you can get for it.

hammock engineer
05-13-2007, 21:59
Look into the hunting regulations in Canada. I read somewhere on WB that there is different rules than the US. I think I remember something about not being able to be in certain areas at night or certain days. Difinitly worth looking into.

whykickamoocow
05-13-2007, 22:29
I found a few maps and guides at this location

http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/SIAIAT_Pages/route

serenityrich
05-14-2007, 00:36
So, after walking all those miles and then splashing a little Alantic Ocean on your face. This is one way back to the states via Montreal.
https://www.viarail.ca/pdf/guides/en_chaleur.pdf

Mags
05-14-2007, 12:16
http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/troller.htm

Old joke/observation:

To an American, 100 yrs is history. To an European, 100 km is a long distance.

I had a German roommate whose folks visited. They did the typical Euro road trip in the American west: Take in as many national parks as possible! Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier, Utah, etc. They did it all in two weeks and were EXHAUSTED.

His folks said they did not realize how big the American West was.

Then his mother insisted on making us all tea and some sort of homemade German dessert. It was yummy!

Moral of the story: Americans do have an odd view of "old" history. Many Europeans do not realize how big the American West is. Moms everywhere love to feed you. :)

Suzzz
08-26-2007, 14:48
Hi guys,

Here's a little info to help you make an informed decision before embarking on the IAT. I live in Canada and know that area relatively well. However I have not hiked the IAT so I have no info on the trail itself.

First of all, you will not have to worry about screech (local moonshine) or having to kiss any cod as you will not be anywhere near the province of Newfoundland as someone suggested in an earlier thread. The entire portion of the IAT in Canada is in the province of Quebec, in an area called the Gaspésie.

Second I would not plan to go back to the States via Montréal. There's almost 600 miles from Gaspé to Montréal, that's a loooong and excruciating train ride to get to the airport. I'm sure there are easier ways to get back home. That being said, this is probably the cheapest option so if money is a concern and you don't mind the aggravation, go for it.

The third comment I'd like to make is in my opinion the most important one. Québec is predominently FRENCH. 95% (and I'm being generous here) of it's population does not speak English. Don't get me wrong, they are good people and they will try their best to help you but the language may be a problem. Some employees in information centers, the police, health care professionals, waiters and waitresses in restaurants etc. will be able to get by in acceptable English but many may not be fully bilingual and don't expect Joe Farmer to speak the language.

For those of you who have never been to Canada, that area is very similar to that of Maine. You'll see pretty much the same kind of trees and have the same climat so I'd plan on the same clothing and gear you'd use in Maine. The big bonus is the Atlantic Ocean. Happy hiking in Canada.

Here's the link to the official website www.sia-iat.com (http://www.sia-iat.com)

DavidNH
08-26-2007, 14:59
Hi guys,

Here's a little info to help you make an informed decision before embarking on the IAT. I live in Canada and know that area relatively well. However I have not hiked the IAT so I have no info on the trail itself.

First of all, you will not have to worry about screech (local moonshine) or having to kiss any cod as you will not be anywhere near the province of Newfoundland as someone suggested in an earlier thread. The entire portion of the IAT in Canada is in the province of Quebec, in an area called the Gaspésie.

Second I would not plan to go back to the States via Montréal. There's almost 600 miles from Gaspé to Montréal, that's a loooong and excruciating train ride to get to the airport. I'm sure there are easier ways to get back home. That being said, this is probably the cheapest option so if money is a concern and you don't mind the aggravation, go for it.

The third comment I'd like to make is in my opinion the most important one. Québec is predominently FRENCH. 95% (and I'm being generous here) of it's population does not speak English. Don't get me wrong, they are good people and they will try their best to help you but the language may be a problem. Some employees in information centers, the police, health care professionals, waiters and waitresses in restaurants etc. will be able to get by in acceptable English but many may not be fully bilingual and don't expect Joe Farmer to speak the language.

For those of you who have never been to Canada, that area is very similar to that of Maine. You'll see pretty much the same kind of trees and have the same climat so I'd plan on the same clothing and gear you'd use in Maine. The big bonus is the Atlantic Ocean. Happy hiking in Canada.

Here's the link to the official website www.sia-iat.com (http://www.sia-iat.com)

Actually, the IAT goest through New Brunswick as well as Quebec. And while Quebec may be 95 % french speaking..the english speakers that there are are largely towards Montreal. The Gaspe is totally french though many are bilingual. Also New Brunswick is an officially bilingual province..though the portion the IAT goest through I think is more french than english.

Roads. Most of the roads the IAT goes over (based on my web research) are in Maine. The reason..the damn paper companies that own too much land (personal bias injected here).

David

Suzzz
08-26-2007, 16:34
DavidNH,

Thanks for specifying the IAT goes through NB, I wasn't aware of that. I've only just recently found out there was a portion of the AT up here in Canada while on a trip in the Gaspé area and I haven't had a chance to do any research on it yet.

You're right about that portion of NB being mostly populated by French speaking people. However, NB being the only Canadian province to be officially bilingual, both languages are thought in school and many NBers grow up with one English and one French parent (as I have). Therefore finding someone who speaks English will not be a problem.

As for Québec, you're also right, the English speaking population is mostly in the Montréal area. However, you'll find that in the rest of the province those working with the public (tourism, health, law enforcement, service industry) usually learn English by default. They may not be very fluant and it may take a few tries to get the message accross, but they will try as best they can. I just thought it was important for anyone wanting to hike that way to be aware of that.

Thanks for your input!

The Weasel
08-26-2007, 17:02
Two minor thoughts ---

1) While this isn't TrailPlace, and discussing the International Appalachian Trail is very welcome, it's not "the AT". Each trail is very separate from the other, in every way other than they have a common terminus at Katahdin.

2) Keep in mind that if you enter Canada from the US, you have to check in at some point with Canadian Immigration. You should have a US Passport with you after, I believe, 1/1/08, in orde to return to the US. I am almost certain that a US Passport is now required to enter Canada, or soon will be. Tourists are limited to 90 days. Canada is pretty forgiving, but it's good to know the rules before you enter it.

The Weasel

shelterbuilder
08-26-2007, 20:56
The US passport office is still WAY back-logged with applications. They used to say to allow 6 - 8 weeks for processing, but now you'd better plan on 4 - 6 MONTHS to be on the safe side. My wife's last cruise was almost a disaster because her passport almost didn't get here in time, and she sent in her application 8 weeks ahead of her departure.

Footslogger
08-26-2007, 20:58
How easy/difficult is the IAT to follow ??

'Slogger

DavidNH
08-26-2007, 21:21
I have never hiked the IAT but have read a lot about it. My understanding is that it is far less trod than the Appalachian Trail. Places are easy to follow..others very hard. There are presumably portions that are among the wildest of anywhere in the east.. Wilder than Maine.

DavidNH

gardenville
08-27-2007, 15:12
Georgia Pinhoti Trail:
Benton MacKaye Trail:

The web site for the Pinhoti Trail has changed and is:

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org

All the different trail clubs that take care of the Pinhoti Trail both in AL and GA joined together this past May to form the Pinhoti Trail Alliance.

Solo has started the new web site. The Pinhoti Trail Alliance is really short help and needs trail maintainers.

Dances with Mice
08-27-2007, 16:35
Don't forget the IAT's eastern extension - just cross Atlantic Ocean Gap and there's a trail called the Kerry Way (http://www.kerryway.net/) that follows the same mountain chain.

Jester2000
08-27-2007, 19:44
Don't forget the IAT's eastern extension - just cross Atlantic Ocean Gap and there's a trail called the Kerry Way (http://www.kerryway.net/) that follows the same mountain chain.

Actually, there is a "trail" called the Coast to Coast Trail that basically links all of the "Ways" (Kerry, Wicklow, and such) that goes from the Southwest part of Ireland up towards Dublin on the east coast. From what I've been able to gather this "long trail" (and it is long by Irish standards) is a 2 to 3 week trip.

But the ford to get there is, as Lion King knows, pretty tough.

JAK
08-27-2007, 20:07
Doesn't the IAT now extend into Newfoundland, and end up in Gros Morne?