PDA

View Full Version : newbie choices for tent, bag & pack

jodansmif
05-10-2007, 08:21
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a while and have found these forums to be greatly informative.

Here's the deal: I am living in the Sierras this summer and want to take some 3-5 day hikes... next summer I'd like to do the App trail after I graduate, southbound leaving in late Mayish.

I have no gear and would like the gear I buy this summer to be appropriate for a thru-hike if I decide to go through with it. Anyway, here's the list, I'd appreciate some advice. (Quick note, I'm 22 and in pretty burly shape so I'm not extremely worried about ultralight, especially vs. convenience or comfort!)

Pack: Osprey Atmos 65
Apparently I can fit a week's food and 40 pounds in here, seems sufficient... no worries about durability/weatherproof-ness though?

Tent: BigAgnes Seedhouse SL2
Reason for two-person tent? You never know when a young lady might want to come along... and it seems pretty light anyway. I also want a freestanding for the convenience.

Bag: BigAgnes Encampment +15 OR MontBell SuperStretch Burrow #2
It is likely I will do something stupid like get my bag wet... hence the synthetic. I read here that both bags are quite roomy (I'm a stomach sleeper/roller).

Pad: I need help here... air vs. foam. Air sounds nice but punctures would be bad if they are hard to avoid. Also, how much better is a blinged out foam pad vs. the 10 blue one at Walmart?

Okay, any responses are much appreciated!

Appalachian Tater
05-10-2007, 09:39
The Thermarest Prolites are puncture resistant. The only time I worried about it at all was in shelters where nails where sticking up. If you plan to stay in shelters a lot, go with a regular Thermarest. Likely the price difference between the Thermarest and a Walmart blue is worth it in comfort to weight ratio. Consider a short pad to save weight. The inflatables are heavier than the non-inflatables but fold up smaller. I went with the inflatable for medical reasons.

Don't bother to carry a two-person tent trying to get laid if you're southbound unless you bring your own mate. I don't think a single-sized tent would have stopped the few new couples who met on the trail in all their stinky glory. 4 1/2 pounds is just way too much for a tent.

A wet synthetic bag is just as wet as a wet down bag. Get a waterproof stuffsack and go with the down. The covers are fairly waterproof anyway. The weight saving is important.

Durability with any of the major brand packs should not be a problem as long as you don't abuse it. Make sure your pack is big enough to hold winter gear if you're southbound. Also some of the businesses catering to hikers will be closed so you may have to carry more supplies.

Just because you're 22 and burly doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about weight. After a well-fitting pack and shoes, weight is probably the most important factor in comfort. If you're going to be walking 2000 + miles, weight will be important. After your shakedowns, you won't need convincing of this. If you decide to go with heavy gear, at least borrow or rent some and go on one of those three-days before you buy.

hopefulhiker
05-10-2007, 09:54
I agree, go with a tarptent.. look into the Rainbow by Henry Shires. It is free standing and will save weight.. go with down, I carried a cut down ridge rest and a BA insulmat on my hike, but i am old and boney. After hiking a lot most people are really concerned about getting their pack weight down.

PJ 2005
05-10-2007, 09:58
I bought a 75L Osprey and regretted it. 50L is plenty... if you can't fit it, you don't need it.

Freestanding is way, way, way overrated... the only time on the AT you'd need a freestanding tent is in the Whites, and you'll want to do work-for-stay anyway. I love my Tarptent Squall 2 - half the weight of the BA, and plenty of room for 2 (or you, your gear, and a dog).

The North Face Fission is a good balance for weight/warmth/price if you're gunning for synthetic.

If you can sleep on a Z Rest, I'd do that. Inflatables are more comfortable. Wouldn't worry about popping them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-10-2007, 10:39
If you are using treking poles, look at the Shire's tarptent double Rainbow or the Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. Both are lighter & have more space. The Rainbow is free-standing with trekking poles and has a floor that can be clipped up to become a bathtub-style floor or dropped to allow more ventilation.

As for pads, I'm sold on the Big Agnes insulated Air Core (2.5"). It is far and away the most comfortable pad I used. The male dino feels the air core is too bouncy - he likes the Thermarest Prolite 4 (1.5"). Both are very puncture resistant. The air core has to be blown up manually so it isn't the easiest option. The prolite is self-inflating. Both are insulated so would work with the BA sleeping bag. I move around a lot like you and the 20" rectangular pad has never failed to provide even this fluffy dino with enough space.

Another vote for down over synthetic sleeping gear. Choose a synthetic jacket and use down for sleeping gear. The jacket would keep you from freezing to death if the down got wet so you won't be compromising your safety. What happens every single day you backpack is you carry the bag and sleep in it - down is lighter, more compressible and warmer. If you put your down bag in a turkey roasting bag or a trash compacter bag and use a ponytail holder to close it goose-neck style, you would have to go swimming for a prolonged period with your pack on to get it wet.

jodansmif
05-11-2007, 05:13
Okay... took a jaunt to the local outfitters today.

Decided on the Big Agnes but switched to down. For $40, why not save a pound? The Z-Rest was a good pad recommendation... I can always go air later and keep this for insulation if I get whiny about lumps.

The SL version of the Seedhouse tent is only 3 lbs and I'll need the two person, not on a possible thru-hike but for shorter trips with little brother or lady friends. Definitely still going with the freestanding for convenience.

I looked at the Aether 70 but decided it wasn't worth 20 bucks more to gain a pound for 200 cu more. The Aether seemed sturdier than the Atmos but the mesh back on the Atmos sold me (stupid SouthEastern humidity) and I can always get Osprey to fix any problems I have with durability.

So now I'm off to Yosemite, Big Sur, Desolation Wilderness, etc for some short trips to figure out how this whole thing works. I'll accumulate water & kitchen supplies as I go and decide what clothing works best.

So thanks for all the advice... I have one last question though. Is it possible to erect the Seedhouse by putting up the fly first so that rain doesn't get in the tent through the mesh top?

Appalachian Tater
05-11-2007, 10:41
For $40, why not save a pound?

$40 to save a pound in a sleeping bag is a relative bargain. People spend $30 to save 2 ounces in a cookpot, and $8 for a titanium spoon that weighs MORE than a 69 cent plastic one.

If you thru-hike, I second going with the Rainbow. It weights 2 pounds including the floor and stakes and stuffsack, could hold two for emergencies or sleeping close together, and is roomy, just a really nice shelter all around.

Have fun!

saimyoji
05-11-2007, 10:57
Is it possible to erect the Seedhouse by putting up the fly first so that rain doesn't get in the tent through the mesh top?

Yes. See the Fast Fly set up here. Set it up like that, then clip the ten up from underneath.

saimyoji
05-11-2007, 10:58
Yes. See the Fast Fly set up here. Set it up like that, then clip the ten up from underneath.

Here: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39202196&memberId=12500226

saimyoji
05-11-2007, 10:59

Oh, and BTW although its free standing....in order to get a nice tight pitch, you're gonna have to stake it out. Especially on those windy rainy nights.

jodansmif
05-11-2007, 17:33
The Rainbow does look really nice... I think I might get the Seedhouse for miscellaneous use this year and then check out the Rainbow more thoroughly if I have time for a thru hike. I can always give the Seedhouse to my brother...

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this stuff... thanks for all the advice and hopefully I'll be back here planning a thru next summer!

gearfreak
05-14-2007, 14:30
I hike with the SL2 and love it! An easy to pitch superlight, bug free shelter. I made my own footprint that extends out to the end of the vestibule using 3/4 oz. ripstop nylon. I can keep my pack clean and dry in here instead of in my tent as I have in the past. Even then I had plenty of room. Ditch the x-stakes provided and get som DAC Eternals, shove the whole thing in a small compression bag and you're good to go!