PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Gathering

gravityman
09-18-2003, 10:34
I've seen gatherings for the east, I've seen gatherings for the west. Is there one for the mountains? I'm in Colorado, and am curious if there is one within driving distance of us, ever.

Gravity man

kt_lyn
09-18-2003, 10:51
until just recently i lived in (and loved) colorado and don't ever remember hearing anything about a mountain gathering- sad, hu?

chris
09-18-2003, 12:15
The international festival of mead is going on in Boulder in early October. You could go to that.
Otherwise, I think you have to fly or drive to Washington or to New Hampshire this year.

gravityman
09-18-2003, 14:43
Yes, colorado is AMAZING. But the hiking community isn't like it is out east it would seem. Maybe I need to get involved with the colorado trail people.

On the upshot, I did get to do 10 14ers this summer! And have 160 miles of the CT done so far. Hopefully next summer we are taking a 3 week vacation to hike the rest of the CT.

Gravity Man

kt_lyn
09-19-2003, 10:18
which 14ers did you do this year, gravityman? hiking out east has been such an adjustment for me after years of colorado trekking- you really have to work for your views out here! in colorado they seem to be right around every corner. the east is different- but good. i must say though, i really miss standing on the tops of 14,000 ft mountains. ahh well, again someday!

gravityman
09-19-2003, 10:25
We did Long's (our favorite so far!), Grays, Torreys, Bierstadt, Democrat, Bross, Elbert, Lincoln, Quandry, Sherman and last year we did Massive. This year was the summer of 14ers. Last year was the summer of the Colorado trail (that's when we did the 160 miles of it over weekends and holidays. Same with the 14ers.)

What moved you from Colorado? We moved out here from Florida (via the AT after we graduated) and we really don't want to go back east. I grew up in Mass, which is nice, but its not colorado. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this job with a leave of absence when we attempt the at again. We're aiming for 05, but I'll ask if I can go in 04.

Gravity Man

kt_lyn
09-19-2003, 11:21
gravityman- congrats on hitting up big mountains this year! i haven't done it, but i've heard nothing but amazing things about longs peak. i really loved bierstadt. if you're up for a repeat, i'd suggest doing it again this time of year. i did it last year and the scene when the sun came over that mountain was ridiculously breathtaking- all golden and shinning with aspens. right, and why did i move away? well, i'd lived in colorado all my life and while i love the rockies dearly, i felt like i needed to get out and climb other mountains and experience other forests. my time out here has been good (ME, NH, and VT are beautiful) and i'm thrilled about my AT adventure this spring, but i feel fairly confident that after the AT i'll leave new england and not come back (to live, at least). i just miss the mountains too much. anyway, that's my story.

give my regards to the mountains, will ya?

warren doyle
09-19-2003, 11:41
Gravityman,
I'll make the same suggestion to you as I made to Ray and Jenny Jardine when I saw them on the Tableland of Katahdin at the end of their AT hike.
When I founded ALDHA, I envisioned that there would eventually be three to four long distance hiker groups in the nation (with each group having their own Gathering). As the Appalachian Trail served as a model for the other major long distance trails, ALDHA was to serve as a "it can be done" model for long distance hiking kindred souls in other parts of our country.

ALDHA (AT/LT and other Appalachian Trails)
ALDHA-West (PCT, PNWT and other western trails)

Perhaps it is time for you and others to think of starting a group for Continental Divide long distance hikers.

The fourth potential long distance hiker group would be for the past, present and future coast-to-coasters.