PDA

View Full Version : simmer stove

Grinder
05-10-2007, 13:54
I had a idea float into my right ear today.

If a person didn't want to always cook FBC style, but wanted to just simmer rice the old fashioned way, a second stove would be real handy.

I piddled today, with little success. I want a little flame to move the pot to after full boil is reached. This little stove would handle "simmer duties"

Ideally, no pot stand would be required, but that's the problem. When I get the flame small enough, it goes out.

obscess over this one, oh stove people.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

zelph
05-10-2007, 17:50
I had a idea float into my right ear today.

If a person didn't want to always cook FBC style, but wanted to just simmer rice the old fashioned way, a second stove would be real handy.

I piddled today, with little success. I want a little flame to move the pot to after full boil is reached. This little stove would handle "simmer duties"

Ideally, no pot stand would be required, but that's the problem. When I get the flame small enough, it goes out.

obscess over this one, oh stove people.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Make a modified "Supercat" with only one row of holes. Make the top holes only. Make the holes elongated (2 holes skrunched together) Hang a piece of fiberglass wick out of one of the holes to make sure it stays lit in cooler weather. I know "you got wick":banana

No pot stand required.

Skidsteer
05-10-2007, 21:35
Remove your windscreen?

If you need to refill, then refill. You'd be surprised how long your pot full of food will maintain temp with no fire below it.

What type stove are you using to get the boil?

Grinder
05-11-2007, 10:32
skidsteer,
I am using a ring of fire type stove.

Zelph,
I'll try the wick idea. I already tried one row of holes in a minibull sized can. Fire went out when the pot was in place.

Later

Tom

zelph
05-11-2007, 11:03
skidsteer,
I am using a ring of fire type stove.

Zelph,
I'll try the wick idea. I already tried one row of holes in a minibull sized can. Fire went out when the pot was in place.

Later

Tom

I went a little over board on this one. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/chiapetstove003.jpg)no pot stand required. It had a name, Chia Pet also Medussa. No need to wait for primer pan or otherwise. Instant heat to the bottom of the pot. Yeh! so it looks weird, what's your point. :D

Grinder
05-11-2007, 15:58
well, applying the KISS principle, I tried out your wick concept.

procedure:

I used a minibull stove, I taped a piece of alum can around it to block the side burner holes.

I simply put the wick into the reservoir, guessed at how much should hang over the edge, lit it and put the heini pot on top right away.

20+ minutes later, it's still burning and the 2 cups of water is warm, not boiling.

How much alcohol, you ask?

beats me. a splash in technical terms, I don't think it was an ounce.

(true confessions: I started with a cat food can and the wick pulled through a hole in the side. the fire was not under the pot and much too high. I then taped up the minibull, poured the remaining alky in and lit it)

Scientific I am not

Miles of Smiles
Tom

zelph
05-11-2007, 16:52
well, applying the KISS principle, I tried out your wick concept.

procedure:

I used a minibull stove, I taped a piece of alum can around it to block the side burner holes.

I simply put the wick into the reservoir, guessed at how much should hang over the edge, lit it and put the heini pot on top right away.

20+ minutes later, it's still burning and the 2 cups of water is warm, not boiling.

How much alcohol, you ask?

beats me. a splash in technical terms, I don't think it was an ounce.

(true confessions: I started with a cat food can and the wick pulled through a hole in the side. the fire was not under the pot and much too high. I then taped up the minibull, poured the remaining alky in and lit it)

Scientific I am not

Miles of Smiles
Tom

I can't seeeee what your cat food can and a wick pulled through a hole. Can't see the minibull one either, so we start over.

You have to start with a "Supercat" stove. Cover up the bottom row of holes. Pour in 1/2 ounce of fuel. Lite it. Wait 15 seconds while the stove heats up to roaring. Slowly put your Heiny pot on. If it still winds up being too hot get another catfood can and make only one hole like the one you see in this thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=354843&postcount=3)

This morphidite boils water. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/heatsnk.jpg)If I eliminate the lower holes it may only simmer. Don't use a winscreen like Skids said and for sure it will just simmer

Remember to let all supercat style stoves heat up before you put the pot on slowwwwwlllllly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Gone fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana :banana :banana :banana

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

oldfivetango
05-11-2007, 18:54
Go ahead-bite the bullet-spring for a Brasslite Turbo 2D.
Enjoy the reliablity of no parts other than the manual simmer
ring with built in pot stand.It's reliable,affordable-just go for it.
You will love the long lingering simmer times.
Oldfivetango