PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

ShakeyLeggs
05-10-2007, 20:06
Well I just got back home. I did go for my section but only made it to Gathland SP. Was having considerable pain in my left knee and decided to jump off the trail to have it looked at. Got a ride to the doc's and after x-rays and a thorough exam of my knee I was told to hang it up for a while. So I am down for the count till the knee heals and the Doc says it is safe to hike on it again. Gotta love cartilage deterioration in the knees. But I did have a blast for the 18 miles I did. Now it is time for a Vicodin or as I call them my happy pills.

Lion King
05-10-2007, 20:10
Ill trade you a destroyed ankle for a knee...

ShakeyLeggs
05-10-2007, 20:13
Ill trade you a destroyed ankle for a knee...
Naw thats alright, I'll stick with these worn out knees I'm kinda attached to em. I'm just hoping they don't decide they want to cut on em. Gotta wait for the swelling and inflamation to go down to see where to go from there.

Blissful
05-10-2007, 21:56
So sorry to hear about that. I have to hang it in too for about two weeks from my thru and wait for my calf to heal. The rocks of VA did it in - and I thought the bad rocks were in PA (and I live here too!!)

ShakeyLeggs
05-10-2007, 22:03
So sorry to hear about that. I have to hang it in too for about two weeks from my thru and wait for my calf to heal. The rocks of VA did it in - and I thought the bad rocks were in PA (and I live here too!!)
thanks for the kind words. I have been following your journal and enjoying reading them. I was a bit bummed to hear about your injury. But I am sure you will go back. Just take the time you need and then get back out there. Listen to what the Doc's and your body say and you will do just fine. and to quote a cliche " The trail aint going anywhere it will still be there"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-10-2007, 22:12
Sorry to hear about Shakey's Knees and Bliss' calf. Both of you take care of yourselves.

ShakeyLeggs
05-10-2007, 22:18
Sorry to hear about Shakey's Knees and Bliss' calf. Both of you take care of yourselves.

Will do and thanks for the kind words. I am praying for a good outcome with your tests FD.

TIDE-HSV
05-10-2007, 22:22
as I sit here with an ice pack on my left one, the one that's had ACL surgery plus two meniscus scopes...

ShakeyLeggs
05-10-2007, 22:30
as I sit here with an ice pack on my left one, the one that's had ACL surgery plus two meniscus scopes...

Ouch. I have been lucky I have yet to have my knees cut on. Not that the doctors have tried. I was told by an Army doctor that if I did not have my knee (right) replaced I would be in a wheel chair in 5 years. I turned it down and that was back in 1985. Still no wheel chair just doing what is best for my knees as problems arise based on my knowledge of my knees and getting the best possible alternatives from the doctor. I know surgery is inevitable but will hold off as long as I can and will use the surgery as a last resort. I know it means I will have to deal with more pain in the long run but I have witnessed to many bad outcomes from surgery. I too sit here with ice on my left knee. And as the saying goes better life through chemistry.

weary
05-10-2007, 23:05
It's a long trail. When we start, few of us are ready for steady, day after day, walking with a pack. Wise people will crawl the first few hundred miles -- the first month, maybe longer. Some get away with pushing on despite the hurts. But many are forced to quit.

I know, some trail health problems can't be avoided. But at a land conference last weekend I met the doctor who first counseled me when I talked of walking the trail.

His appearance brought back many old memories. I had told nim back then that I was worried about my knees and feet. His advice was simple. "Go slow and they will get stronger."

Though slowness means I'll probably never get a 2000-miler patch, it did enable me to spend six months and three days on the trail, all the while having a wonderful time.

Weary

SteveJ
05-10-2007, 23:32
Ouch. I have been lucky I have yet to have my knees cut on. Not that the doctors have tried. I was told by an Army doctor that if I did not have my knee (right) replaced I would be in a wheel chair in 5 years. I turned it down and that was back in 1985. Still no wheel chair just doing what is best for my knees as problems arise based on my knowledge of my knees and getting the best possible alternatives from the doctor. I know surgery is inevitable but will hold off as long as I can and will use the surgery as a last resort. I know it means I will have to deal with more pain in the long run but I have witnessed to many bad outcomes from surgery. I too sit here with ice on my left knee. And as the saying goes better life through chemistry.

chuckle...as I've found through experience, "if it works, don't fix it!" [i'll now bite my lip and avoid taking a swervy thread creep!] sorry about the bad knee - hope everything works out ok. It took me hitting 40, finding that downhills and a 40+ lb pack caused severe knee pain to convince me that I'd better take a look at this lightweight backpacking info - packs under 30 lbs don't bother the knees at all....so far, anyway. we'll see what 50 brings.....

TIDE-HSV
05-11-2007, 01:16
In the 20+ years you've avoided the knee replacement, the actual appliances have advanced by light years...:)

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 07:12
chuckle...as I've found through experience, "if it works, don't fix it!" [i'll now bite my lip and avoid taking a swervy thread creep!] sorry about the bad knee - hope everything works out ok. It took me hitting 40, finding that downhills and a 40+ lb pack caused severe knee pain to convince me that I'd better take a look at this lightweight backpacking info - packs under 30 lbs don't bother the knees at all....so far, anyway. we'll see what 50 brings.....

I agree if it aint broke don't fix it. I also use to have an extremely heavy pack but have been cutting the weight. I am looking to bet my base weight under 15 pounds. I just need to replace more gear to get it there. I am looking at another pack as the Osprey I have weighs in at about 7 pounds. I also have a few other pieces of gear that need to be pared down but I am picky about my gear it must perform and hold up to the trail. I don't want to jeopardize my safety while out there.

In the 20+ years you've avoided the knee replacement, the actual appliances have advanced by light years...:)

Yea I know I have been keeping an eye on them seeing as that was one solution I was offered. I keep up on any developments pertaining to knee health so that when problems do arise I can make the best decision about the care of my knees. I take into account what my doctor says then we discuss all the options available then I usually settle on the nonsurgical option. Don't get me wrong I never totally disregard the surgical option I just try to avoid it at all costs. So far I have been lucky and able to. But the day is coming.

Blissful
05-11-2007, 10:34
It's a long trail. When we start, few of us are ready for steady, day after day, walking with a pack. Wise people will crawl the first few hundred miles -- the first month, maybe longer. Some get away with pushing on despite the hurts. But many are forced to quit.

I know, some trail health problems can't be avoided. But at a land conference last weekend I met the doctor who first counseled me when I talked of walking the trail.

His appearance brought back many old memories. I had told nim back then that I was worried about my knees and feet. His advice was simple. "Go slow and they will get stronger."

Though slowness means I'll probably never get a 2000-miler patch, it did enable me to spend six months and three days on the trail, all the while having a wonderful time.

Weary

Good advice. We did crawl basically our first few weeks - but when we had a long day we followed it by a shorter one. Then everyone else was doing 20 plus miles and we were still at 14 to 15. It's tough not to do what everyone else is doing. You feel like a caboose and sometimes it can get a little demoralizing. You think you shold be able to do more. There are more mental games on the AT than one can count.

My problem might have been avoided by taking a zero in Troutville as everyone else did instead of pushing it to try and get home so I could do work on my books that was due. I was really tired out after the rocks before that area and needed rest but I forged ahead and my legs said - forget it. But now I am home working on galleys for my books anyway. And with the time I originally planned to take off, I don't think I could have accomplished everything. I needed 2 weeks. So all things work together for good...even though I do wish I was out hiking today.

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 11:56
So all things work together for good...even though I do wish I was out hiking today.

I totally hear ya. I keep looking out my window and have to push back the urge to head back out. My meds pretty much take care of the pain which gives a false sense of security. I just have to stick to my plan and heal up my knee before I head back out for a few nights.

moxie
05-11-2007, 17:07
I was lucky, I made it without injury but was very slow. I had many wonderful friends in 2000 that had to drop out because of injury. I started with Purple Paisley and just befor her knees gave out in Virginia she was in such pain she could only manage 5 painful miles a day. Just Plain Dave hurt his leg so bad in central Virginia he not only got off the trail but could never return to his old job. Shin splints, compression fractures and just bad knees took some wonderful friends off the trail. Wyatt had to give up his dream in the 100 mile wilderness less tha 50 miles from Katahdin. Half moon fell in the last shelter in Georgia, spent over 2 weeks recovering and never caught up with the gang and just section hiked to the end or he never would have finished. I hope those of you that are injured will take the time to let it heal properly. Getting back to early or hiking in pain will only agrivate the problem Get well- finish the hike you started and Godspeed. (I'm not a Doctor but I play one on Whiteblaze)