PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 07:48
I am looking to getting a lighter pack and am taking a hard look at the ULA Catalyst. I want my base weight below 15 pounds. I have read many glowing reports about this pack. And so far I am sold. But I would really like to hear about the problems that have been encountered with this pack. From what I have read here and a few other sites it is a good pack but I like to hear all sides of the subject. So if you have any stories or suggestion please post em. Thanks.

This is coming from someone who knows nothing about ultralight packs i have been a user of Dana, and Osprey packs. Heavy and durrable. I am concerned about the suspension. If I need to use a pad in the pack for internal support. Like I said I know nothing about this pack other than what i have read here and a few other sites and the ULA site.

Tabasco
05-11-2007, 08:00
I own one, and thoroughly love it. Brian makes an incredible product. This is coming from a guy who carried a Bora 95. I've had it out on 3 week end trips so far, it is way big for weekend type hiking. If you use poles, do not get the hand loops, the 2 stays are worth it , in my opinion, if you ever plan on carrying close to 30-40 lbs in it, otherwise you can take them out easily.

Have had no issues with durability, pack adjustments, or anything. I'd love to give you the bad points to this pack, but I just haven't found any yet.....

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 08:11
Have had no issues with durability, pack adjustments, or anything. I'd love to give you the bad points to this pack, but I just haven't found any yet.....

That is what has pretty much sold me on the pack. All I hear is glowing reports and that totally impresses me. I will prolly get the dual stay frame sheet which will give me more options with the pack. Thanks for the input.

aufgahoban
05-11-2007, 08:23
I own one and I love it too, especially compared to my old heavier pack. My only slight issue with it are the shoulder straps being just a little wide, but I'm a girl. They don't kill me, just irritate from time to time and then I adjust them to a more comfortable spot. Nothing substantial. Other than that, the ULA is definitely the most comfortable, light weight pack I've had the pleasure of toting up the side of a mountain. And I LOVE the additional 2 little pockets on the waist strap. I like to be able to get to my camera quickly and this is the first pack I've owned that allowed me to do so with no muss and no fuss. I keep my camera in one and snacks/lip balm in the other.

I'm with Tabasco. If I could think of something wrong with it, I'd share, but thus far it's just a great pack.

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 08:31
I own one and I love it too, especially compared to my old heavier pack. My only slight issue with it are the shoulder straps being just a little wide, but I'm a girl. They don't kill me, just irritate from time to time and then I adjust them to a more comfortable spot. Nothing substantial. Other than that, the ULA is definitely the most comfortable, light weight pack I've had the pleasure of toting up the side of a mountain. And I LOVE the additional 2 little pockets on the waist strap. I like to be able to get to my camera quickly and this is the first pack I've owned that allowed me to do so with no muss and no fuss. I keep my camera in one and snacks/lip balm in the other.

I'm with Tabasco. If I could think of something wrong with it, I'd share, but thus far it's just a great pack.

Got a question for ya. I see you have a slight issue with the shoulder straps being a bit wide. When i was built my parents opted out on the female options for me and went male so I don't think that will be an issue for me. My question is do you feel the wider shoulder straps help in relieving shoulder fatigue?

Lilred
05-11-2007, 09:06
I have the ULA P-2, the model before the catalyst, and I love my pack. I have the dual stays and my weight is usually around 35 pounds with six days of food and water. The only time I've felt shoulder fatigue was after 10 hours of hiking, with a full load. I kid you not, one time I went to sit down against a tree and forgot I had the pack on. Boy, did I feel silly. The hipbelt pockets are fantastic. I keep my camera, maps, and pages from the handbook in one, and snacks in the other, along with my knife. I love my pack....

LostInSpace
05-11-2007, 13:02
If you use poles, do not get the hand loops ...

The hand loops are removable, so you might want to get them for times when you don't carry poles.

Be aware that at this time, Brian has a two month production backlog on the Catalyst. I don't know about the other ULA packs.

Lilred
05-11-2007, 13:41
The hand loops are removable, so you might want to get them for times when you don't carry poles.

Be aware that at this time, Brian has a two month production backlog on the Catalyst. I don't know about the other ULA packs.

Mountain Crossings had a bunch of ULA-P2's, they may have stock on the Catalyst now. I'd check with them if you're looking to buy one soon.

Quoddy
05-12-2007, 09:18
I was in the middle of answering right after your original post when my internet system went down, so here's what I was going to say then.

If you are really going with a base weight of 15 lbs, the Catalyst is going to be half empty. At a base in that same range, I can easily get all my gear into (and I mean inside) my Conduit. I'd recommend down sizing to at least a Circuit, which would still have a lightweight frame structure and save some pack weight.

Drop Brian a line if you have any specific questions.

ShakeyLeggs
05-12-2007, 14:04
I was in the middle of answering right after your original post when my internet system went down, so here's what I was going to say then.

If you are really going with a base weight of 15 lbs, the Catalyst is going to be half empty. At a base in that same range, I can easily get all my gear into (and I mean inside) my Conduit. I'd recommend down sizing to at least a Circuit, which would still have a lightweight frame structure and save some pack weight.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The base weight number I pulled out of my head. But it seems reasonable to me as I pare down my weight. It is going to have to carry; HHULBA, JRB Nest, No Sniveller, MacCat tarp, my clothing, food, water, and a few misc items.
I can see where it will only be half full. But in the past I almost bought a pack based on thinking what I carried would only fill it part way. When I got to the store with my gear I did not have enough room. So I would rather err on the large size. I know the saying is if you have the room you will fill it. And I am guilty of that to a point. I have been at this for a few years and have my gear needs pretty well figured out. Plus the gear I buy must perform more than one function. So that being said I do want the extra room to give me a few more options such as winter hiking use where I take more gear and it is bulkier.

Don't get me wrong here I am not disregarding your suggestion of going with a smaller and lighter pack and I do appreciate your input and gave it due consideration. I am hoping that I can put my order in this Friday for the pack I have decided I am going to get the dual stay frame sheet and hand loops and I may get the hydration pocket as I really like that feature of my Osprey. Even with all these options I am looking at a 3 pound pack versus a 7 pound 3 ounce pack. So I am quite happy with the weight savings I will see.

DawnTreader
05-12-2007, 15:30
You should buy a pack that will be large enough for your longest stretch... How often do you plan on re-supply?

ShakeyLeggs
05-12-2007, 16:05
You should buy a pack that will be large enough for your longest stretch... How often do you plan on re-supply?

I try to resupply every 3 or 4 days if possible. But have gone as long as 10 days between resupply.

DawnTreader
05-12-2007, 21:39
I have and use the Catalyst. I purchased the Catalyst over the other ULA packs because I was looking to go 10 + days w/o resupply. And its served that purpose. Also I carry a hammock w/2 quilt combo, so I like the extra room for my down. I have a 12 lb base weight and sometimes, on shorter stretches I don't fill my catalyst, but it still carries well for me.

RockStar
05-12-2007, 23:13
I have been looking at the Conduit but am loving all the features of the Catalyst. If I get a new pack to replace my great Gregory Tega I would get a ULA. I had been looking at the Granite Gear packs but, then found the ULA's and fell completely in love. I DO love that my pack is made Women specific. The straps are real comfy and great cushioning. If it had waist belt pockets...I'd probably not mind the 3lbs and a few ounces weight.

Lyle
05-13-2007, 00:08
I have a P2. LOVE IT! Very well-made, comfortable. Not the absolute lightest pack out there, but that wasn't Brian's goal, as I understand it. He goes for lightweight, but still maintaining a ruggedness so that you don't have to pamper the pack. You want to take reasonable care, they aren't bomb-proof like the old Cordura Nylon Kelty's, but they are made to be used.

I agree with what has been said about the hipbelt pockets, well worth their weight! I can't imagine that you would not be happy with whichever ULA pack you choose.

Nightwalker
05-13-2007, 00:21

The Catalyst is meant for a max weight of 25 lbs, IIRC, so a base of 15 + food + water is not going to be low. It may, in fact, go over. Try the P2 instead. It'll handle 35.

Lyle
05-13-2007, 00:31
Nightwalker,

I think you are mistaken, the Catalyst is 4600 cu in, 30 - 40 lbs.; Circuit is 3750 cu in, 25 - 35 lbs; Conduit is 3200 cu in, 20 - 30 lbs; and the Relay 2100 cu in, up to 20 lbs.

In any case, Brian doesn't make the P1 or P2 anymore, they have been replaced... :-(

I have confidence that any of Brian's packs will work as advertised.

RockStar
05-13-2007, 00:39
I meant the Circuit not the Conduit! *slaps forehead

Nightwalker
05-13-2007, 01:07
Nightwalker,

I think you are mistaken, the Catalyst is 4600 cu in, 30 - 40 lbs.; Circuit is 3750 cu in, 25 - 35 lbs; Conduit is 3200 cu in, 20 - 30 lbs; and the Relay 2100 cu in, up to 20 lbs.

In any case, Brian doesn't make the P1 or P2 anymore, they have been replaced... :-(

I have confidence that any of Brian's packs will work as advertised.

I meant to say the Circuit. Sorry. I got the weight from Jeff at MRO. He's always conservative on stuff like that, though.

I would be remiss in not recommending someone try the '07 Gregory G if they're going with a smaller/lighter pack. It carries 25 lbs for me like it's not even there.

Lilred
05-13-2007, 08:50
I would check with mountain crossings on the P-2. They had a huge stockpile of them just two summers ago. Unless they shipped them all back to Brian. I'd give them a call anyhow if you want a P-2. They'll ship it to you.

greentick
05-13-2007, 09:15
I meant the Circuit not the Conduit! *slaps forehead

I have the Circuit and have put 35 in it so far. I can put all the weight on my hips. The hipbelt really hugs your pelvis. No signs of any distress.

I have an 04 Gregory G that I have put 30-35 in it but some of the seams started pulling out. I know the weight limit is 25 and 30-35 is not my base weight only when maxed out on food water. It was very comfortable but has been happily replaced by the ULA.

Trillium
05-13-2007, 10:57
is there a website on the ULA packs?

Lilred
05-13-2007, 10:59
is there a website on the ULA packs?

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

ShakeyLeggs
05-13-2007, 12:10
I have made up my mind after all the great input I got here. Thanks everyone!!! I have decided I will go with the Catalyst with the Dual frame sheet, Hydration Sleeve, and the hand loops. I use poles but at times I just like to hike with out them and the loops are a great feature.

Lilred
05-13-2007, 13:34
good decision, you won't be disappointed.

TwoForty
05-13-2007, 17:07
I just picked up a Catalyst. I like the design, but I am still on the fence about how it handles loads.
I made the mistake of getting a single stay framesheet, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I do know that it blows away the GG Nimbus Ozone for features and comfort.

gearfreak
05-14-2007, 14:15
With your target weight of 15 lbs., you may want to consider the Quick UL 50 from REI. I have a year older version of this pack and it's outstanding! http://www.rei.com/product/747515

ShakeyLeggs
05-14-2007, 15:19
With your target weight of 15 lbs., you may want to consider the Quick UL 50 from REI. I have a year older version of this pack and it's outstanding! http://www.rei.com/product/747515

Wow that is a nice pack. Has pretty much all the features of the ULA. If I would not know the difference I would mistake it for the ULA. I like it but due to my wanting to spend as much of my money at the cottage industry manufacturers I think I will stick with the ULA. Thanks for the headsup on this pack though it is a sweet one.