PDA

View Full Version : Cheap hiking gear

Spcshiznit
05-11-2007, 11:04
Where is the best place to find hiking gear online ( when I say "best" I mean lowest cost)? I'm trying to find various things, but specifically I'm looking to get some frog toggs. Thanks a million!

Appalachian Tater
05-11-2007, 11:09
Do a Google search and a Google products search. Sometimes searching for images works well, too. You may hit some on sale. This works especially well with high-cost items like bags or tents. I have not noticed that any one site is always the lowest on everything and sometimes the differences are significant.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&as_q=frogg+toggs&num=100&scoring=p&btnG=Search+Products&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&price1=19&price2=&as_occt=any&cat=0&show=dd&safe=off

hammock engineer
05-11-2007, 11:11
serriatradingpost.com had good deals on frogg toggs a while back. Other than that and google, keep an eye on backcountry.com, rei.com, campmor.com. Don't be afraid to starting making your own gear. I started that last summer and now most of my gear is homemade or at least modified to be closer to what I want.

Jaybird
05-11-2007, 11:47
Where is the best place to find hiking gear online ( when I say "best" I mean lowest cost)? I'm trying to find various things, but specifically I'm looking to get some frog toggs. Thanks a million!

Campmor.com!

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 12:05
Campmor, EMS, REI, & Backcountry.com all offer some pretty good discounts on the "outlet" or "clearence" side of their sites. If you don't mind an extra stitch on something you can save 50% or more in some cases. Just got some new SmartWool socks for about $2! The only problem is it really hurts my feelings when the shipping is more than the product. I solve this by just ordering MORE stuff! :)

hammock engineer
05-11-2007, 12:10
Campmor, EMS, REI, & Backcountry.com all offer some pretty good discounts on the "outlet" or "clearence" side of their sites. If you don't mind an extra stitch on something you can save 50% or more in some cases. Just got some new SmartWool socks for about $2! The only problem is it really hurts my feelings when the shipping is more than the product. I solve this by just ordering MORE stuff! :)

$2 smartwool socks? Please share. Where did you find them?:confused:

PJ 2005
05-11-2007, 12:15
STEEPANDCHEAP.COM!

Also, Walmart sells "work socks" that are suspiciously similar to Smartwools...

BigwaveDave
05-11-2007, 12:29
Outdoor Sportsman has some great deals, picked up 3 pair med weight Morino wool socks for $8.00, an excellent 2-person tent for $40.00 etc.

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 12:40
$2 smartwool socks? Please share. Where did you find them?:confused:

I found them on REI's outlet site about 2 weeks ago. I just checked, they're gone now. :(

Cannibal
05-11-2007, 12:45
OK, just found my receipt for the socks. I lied (sorry), I paid $3.93 per pair. Still a great deal and I can't find the "imperfection".

moxie
05-11-2007, 16:51
Just go on line, find Frogg Toggs toll free number in Alabama. They are real nice people. Ask about overstocks and discontinued styles and colors. I have gotten some really great deals if you don't mind a white top and orange pants, you get the idea. You will not find the deals on line---you must call them.

FanaticFringer
05-11-2007, 19:18
This may or may not be where Frogg Toggs sells online at e-bay. It is located in Alabama. I've bought both Frogg Toggs and Drop Stoppers from them. Great prices:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/thegearlessmachine_frogg-toggs_W0QQftsZ2QQsaselZ30061046QQsatitleZfroggQ20t oggsQQsofpZ0

funbun
05-12-2007, 07:30
The cheapest gear I've found comes from my brain and my sewing machine . . .

minnesotasmith
05-12-2007, 07:59
Do a Google search and a Google products search. Sometimes searching for images works well, too. You may hit some on sale. This works especially well with high-cost items like bags or tents. I have not noticed that any one site is always the lowest on everything and sometimes the differences are significant.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&as_q=frogg+toggs&num=100&scoring=p&btnG=Search+Products&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&price1=19&price2=&as_occt=any&cat=0&show=dd&safe=off

Use www.metacrawler.com (http://www.metacrawler.com). It makes use of google, and multiple other search engines as well. Best of all, it gets around the preferences (commerical/ideological) of google.

sly dog
05-12-2007, 22:44
try sportsmansguide.com

fiddlehead
05-14-2007, 06:42
I used to sell Frogg Toggs but then Cabelas started selling them for my cost. you might want to check them out, but maybe they just had that price till they got me out of business. (yeah right)
Also, i once saw a website selling the pro action suit for $29.99 which is really cheap (well below any cost) but perhaps they were just liquidating they're business.
Deals come and go.
"google deep" for the best deals